• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017

Hideo Kojima had a lot to say about Death Stranding when he spoke to BBC Radio 1 Newsbeat. "We may be connected through the internet more than ever, but what's happening is that people are attacking each other because we're so connected," he tells gaming report Steffan Powell. That connection, according to Kojima, is why Death Stranding seeks to push people to think about connection.

"President Trump right now is building a wall. Then you have Brexit, where the UK is trying to leave, there are lots of walls and people thinking only about themselves in the world." In Death Stranding, Norman Reedus' Sam Porter Bridges seeks to save the world by delivering packages to remote locations, traversing rocky terrain and fending off those attempting to steal his wares. "The era of today is about individualism," Kojima suggests in the interview - it's clear that Death Stranding is an attempt to reject that.

For Kojima, gamers are lonely as well: "Even though they're having fun with others outside when they are alone and playing video games in their living room they don't feel like they fit into society or their community. So when those people play this game they realize people like them exist all over the world. Knowing that even though I'm lonely, there are other people like me makes them feel at ease, that's what I would like for them to feel when playing the game."

I understand what Kojima is getting at but i wonder if Death Stranding will tackle these issues in depth at all.

Link to original BBC article

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, this will be a good thread.
8Ruk6gt.gif

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I think we all pretty much knew this back when he first started talking about this goal of reconnecting a world full of communities who have separated and rejected each other or however he precisely put it, but I guess it's 100% confirmed now.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
flashbacks of the child soldiers and racism angle the mgsv trailers teased

won't expect much here

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this was all obvious to anyone with basic critical thinking and media literacy but it's nice to hear him explicitly call it out

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
this was all obvious to anyone with basic critical thinking and media literacy but it's nice to hear him explicitly call it out
This.
Sincerely there's no point in being subtle with what you're saying in this day and age, it's clear that most of the public consuming media nowadays won't get it unless it's literally spelled out to them.

Last edited:

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like a hamfisted attempt to hitch DS to a couple of wagons to me.

I'm not going to argue over "hamfisted," Kojima doesn't do subtle, but I don't see how you could doubt this was something he deliberately thought about if you've played, like, literally anything else he's ever made. Metal Gear is all about the societal ramifications of war, social media, PMCs, etc. Adding isolation to the list of modern woes he contemplates in his games doesn't seem like a stretch at all.

Last edited:

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Well he just slashed his numbers in half. None of the alt rights will support this. They'll take a stand just like they did with Far Cry/Battlefield 5.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was always pretty clear that "Make America Whole" was his response to MAGA.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck now I gotta be like "no, I swear the reason I dislike Death Stranding isn't because I'm a Trump supporter(which I'm not)..it's just really boring"

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I mean, the Marketing trailer had a 'make America whole' line. Looks like a play off MAGA

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I thought we all knew it was something of a commentary on current events worldwide?

It's nice to hear it from him, though. Day 1. I'll buy my copy Thursday, get home, have enough time to put it in my PS4 Pro before I pass out, then think about it all day Friday because I'm eager for that ham-fisted political commentary until I get off of work and can actually play it.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
maxresdefault.jpg

710KrCkFFGL._UX569_.jpg

Like, it's blatant, it's a red cap that instead of being about building walls it's about building bridges.
And sincerely that still is too subtle for some people.
Should have just put "TRUMP IS A BAD PERSON" in big red letters at beggining of the first trailer.

Edit: Apparently the hat color is customizable in game, it just happened to be shown in red in one of the gameplay trailers.
Edit 2: Uhh, I actually went and saw that bit of the gameplay thing he did at TGS, and Kojima himself said to make the hat red.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
For Kojima, gamers are lonely as well: "Even though they're having fun with others outside when they are alone and playing video games in their living room they don't feel like they fit into society or their community.
Thanks for the generalization, Kojima. That certainly will help us.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A game about building bridges to unite a divided America might be inspired the current political situation? Truly shocking!

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

710KrCkFFGL._UX569_.jpg

Like, it's blatant, it's a red cap that instead of being about building walls it's about building bridges.
Should have just put "TRUMP IS A BAD PERSON" in big red letters at beggining of the first trailer.
Hmm, I'm not sure. Pretty sure the default color for the cap is black, but you can choose from a range of colors. I'll have to go and check

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

710KrCkFFGL._UX569_.jpg

Well...actually that red was because the person he was presenting with likes the color red and they wanted to show that you can customize the hat, but it did create a very striking image and it became very clear that the BRIDGES hat was definitely made with the MAGA/Build That Wall hat in mind.

Oct 27, 2017
I understand what Kojima is getting at but i wonder if Death Stranding will tackle these issues in depth at all.

What is depth? In a way that has some kind of deep and fulfilling answers to offer to questions that have existed as long as people have been around? Probably not. But representing it and trying to tackle it either through gameplay, integrated gameplay multiplayer systems, or just posing and reflecting on those kind of experiences, I think would be tackling it in depth. It will be a unique take regardless, even if it's not for everyone's palate.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
while it's true he says its not directly targeted, him namedropping both trump and brexit gets his point across as to what he's targeting with the game generally

Right, it's clear they were things he thought about while working on the game, it's just that from the headline, I thought he stated that Trump and Brexit were the catalysts for Death Stranding, but this idea of a game about connecting people has been cooking in his head since 2012.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Surprising that a game about reuniting the world was inspired by some of the biggest divide fueling events in recent memory

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Well...actually that red was because the person he was presenting with likes the color red and they wanted to show that you can customize the hat, but it did create a very striking image and it became very clear that the BRIDGES hat was definitely made with the MAGA/Build That Wall hat in mind.
Hmm, I'm not sure. Pretty sure the default color for the cap is black, but you can choose from a range of colors. I'll have to go and check
Oh, well, I hadn't watched that gameplay he did back at TGS, I assumed that was the default color. lol my bad, I edited my post.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's sort of hinted at this in past interviews, eg that the game is about building bridges and connecting people, which given the current state of political affairs, and Kojima's own experiences these last few years, makes sense.

This is clearly a very personal project to him, and I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff about loneliness and isolation is him projecting his own sentiments and feelings post Konami break up, along with how it was the connections that brought him back so to speak.