Arthois

Oct 27, 2017
I would regularly rent a copy of Sim Earth that was in English. I didn't know how to read english.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Superman for NES. I tried out some of the powers, but had no idea what to do.

I even played it again recently last year. Fared a little better, but it's still very hard to figure out what to do

Dec 13, 2017
A friend of mine had that game. I don't think we ever got to the overworld missions, because those shoot em up levels were damn hard.
Yup that first level was one hell of a start, and that's what made it soo great.

One of my favorite NES games. I musta beaten it a dozen times, but I can def see how you'd get stuck.
Totally. Came back to it as a teenager and beat it a few times and it still seems like such a standout title on the NES.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Any Zelda game

Ocarina I couldn't figure out what to do at the Castle Town
Majora I didn't know what to do during the first 3 days
Zelda 1 & 2 I was just lost in general

It was the reason why I hated the series when I was a kid lol

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Dragon Warrior for NES. First RPG ever. It was like, why won't you let me go where I want?? Stop killing me!

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, my pick:
top_gun-42565830-42386312-xtrab.jpg

Like, how the fuck do you land the plane? I never got past the first level.
I assume someone else has already pointed this out, but down was up and up was down. D-pad acted like a plane's yoke.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Read the title.

Immediately though of Raiders.

Opened thread.

Man that game was impossible to even start.

mrchad

Oct 27, 2017
King's Field for PS1

There was also a late 80s PC game called Life and Death where you had to perform surgery. I learned at an early age that the medical profession was not for me.

babuchy

The Fallen
Nov 3, 2017
Heroes of M&M 2... I didn't know that it was a turn based game, so I moved my character the first turn and then stayed that way a few minutes until I uninstalled the game.

I came back few months later because didn't have anymore to play and with a little patience discovered "rest" button. It's still today one of my favourite videogame franchises of all time (not counting 3 last entries).

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
12372-hexen-beyond-heretic-dos-front-cover.jpg

I didn't get past the first hub of this game until years later.
I like the game but this and its sequels level design would give anyone trouble. They take the old fps key and switch hunting tropes and turn them up to 11. It doesnt help that these games arent just tied to one map either like a traditional fps game at the time, so flipping a switch could activate something in a different map and you rarely ever knew what it did. It was neat they tried a nonlinear level design but it really needed to give a little more feedback on what a switch/key did instead of just expecting you to go searching every corner of every map till you find something different.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I am still shocked on how i finished FFVII at 9, when all the English i studied at school were colors, things and basic verbs.
Like, wow.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Tomb Raider (1996) use to be so stuck on some parts...smh

I never owned the original TR so never played it that much but I had TRII and used to get stuck a lot. Friend had the official Prima walkthrough and I think we still didn't finish it.

I bought it off Steam a few years ago and got further, but still got stuck again in one huge level with no idea of where to go next :/

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
s-l225.jpg

Literally this whole game. Was on a Resident Evil kick as a kid and this came out as another in the genre sorta. Man this game was all kinds of confusing. Made it to the glass ceiling and gave up. Even with a guide it made absolutely no sense.