Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Myth for the Spectrum. I always used to get stuck at a certain point and not know what to do. Also it didn't help that I didn't have a joystick, keyboard platforming sucks.

zx_Myth_History_in_the_Making_1989_System_3_Software.gif

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Rented Ocarina from Blockbuster when I was little, didn't even figure out how to get the sword lol

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
The Guardian Legend
Everything about it was rad but I had no idea what I was doing in the overworld

One of my favorite NES games. I musta beaten it a dozen times, but I can def see how you'd get stuck.
Maniac Mansion
ss_ec9b0f4fd1ea07c0c15a072d3f862afffff2d81d.1920x1080.jpg

I had not the slightest idea what to do back then. In MM I always ended up in the cell and that was basically game over for me.

I forget where I would get to but same boat - I played through a good chunk of the game quite a few times, but never figured out how to actually beat it.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Nexus on C64
nexus_3.png

I knew it was a beat 'em up, but didn't expect that to be from the CPU POV. Preamble; a journalist is sent into the south american jungle to extract(!) a colleague who they believe has been kidnapped in some drug lord's secret underground bunker. You had to take photos and gather evidence, steal keycards to unlock doors and hack computers, speak to contacts (with real digitised faces!) and use all kinds of combat moves to progress. Of course, being 8, I didn't know any of that and was hopeless at it, but it didn't make the game any less fun.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nintendo Baseball for Gameboy

I never played Baseball or knew the rules and english (Germany so no one ever plays this here apart from Americans) as a kid so this made absolutely no sense for me.

Last edited:

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
A PC strategy game called Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance. Fortunately, we were only borrowing it from a friend. I just wanted first-person dungeon crawling and it gave me a map with no indication of what to do except assign officers to places.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
I bought Mission: Impossible for the N64 when we were on a family vacation in France in the year 2000. I was so excited to play it, and when I got home and popped it in... I found out that the game text was only available in French. I mean, come on. I figured that it would include all the major EU language options, like all other PAL N64 games bought elsewhere.

It didn't stop me from playing it, though. Although I never got past the first mission. Haha. I just couldn't figure out what the game wanted me to do. Oh, well.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Sonic 3, got me at Carnival Night Zone. Didn't know what to do for weeks, until someone told me.

Same with Ocarina of Time in the Deku Tree, the web to get to the lower section.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
Raisers of the lost ark. Kind of knew what I was doing for the first 5 minutes then after that no idea.

swordquest Atari 2600: I swear there was like 4 places to go and I kept seeing the same screens over and over again.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Metroid 1 and Zelda 2. Just too young to really get what was going on. Both have become favorites later on though.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Oh remember another one was the original Tomb Raider on PS1. All my friends at school were trying to be the first to complete it and everyone got stuck on the same bit for a few days. There was some really obscure ledge that you needed to jump to in order to proceed in one of the tombs and nobody could find it for days and then I did by chance and managed to clear that bit and get further than everyone else. I was quite the hero at school for a day or two after that once I told everyone how to do it.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
The first game was Batman the caped crusader on the C64. I spent hours, nay, weeks scanning and trying to interact with everything.

220px-Batman_Caped_Crusader.jpg

The second was also on the C64 and by far the most stress I've ever had with a game. Knightmare the game will forever haunt me!
I had absolutely no fucking clue and being a persistent one I keep playing but I never got out of jail.
The sentence, "your actions are fruitless." are burned into my conscious lol.

220px-KnightmareC64.jpg

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Return to Zork
return-to-zork-2.jpg

Was one of my very first games, right after five years old me discovered that Link's Awakening, another one I had no idea what to do, and which was my first isometric game with three spacial axles, is actually not a 2D game where you run from left to right (which was the only thing I knew before then). I needed a few minutes to realise that I don't fall down in that house at the beginning because I was not watching it from the side but from above.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Driver for ps1 tutorial at the beginning of the game.. I didn't know what the hell a Slalom was. I passed the tutorial by luck.
maxresdefault.jpg

That whole series was a slalom. I've never driven cars in a video game with so little traction in my life. I really enjoyed Driver2 even though I felt like all the roads were coated with oil slicks.

For me it was Ocarina of Time. When I first got it I had next to no idea what to do once I got to Jabu Jabu. I hit another roadblock when I got to the Water and Spirit temples.
It's funny. I can play that game with my eyes closed now but beforehand I that game was brutal for my seven-eight year old self.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was stuck for months in OOT because I didnt realize you had to push the grave in Kakariko to get the hookshot, my sub-par grasp on english has led me in circles.

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
Baldur's Gate 2. I was 10, and my only experiance with RPGs were Pokemon and a few hours of Final Fantasy VII at a freinds house. I was not ready.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017

I was 6 at the time, and I mean I kinda knew what I had to do, but zero damn idea on how to do it or in what order or where to go. So frustrating. Never finished it and I don't think I went back to it years later to do so, unlike with this gem :

This one drove me mad as a kid because I REALLY loved playing it, but was completely unable to finish it because of difficulty , and also I don't remember clearly but there was at least one point where you had to do something really obscure and not clearly hinted at to advance(something like kneeling in Castlevania 2). This one however I came back to years later and unlock myself thanks to the power of internet, and managed to finish the game :)

I wish I could find a way to replay Fester's quest, I really want to finish this game once and not watch it on youtube :(

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
E.T.

never figured it out.

Jaws on NES as well

Haha I had Jaws on the C64. All I can remember is starting in a weird submarine and getting eaten 10 seconds later lol.

Another for me was F-16 Combat Pilot on the 64. Mostly because the authentication system required you to type in a word from the manual and it never seemed to work lol

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Deuteros: The Next Millennium
(Amiga)
gamesnostalgia.com

Deuteros: The Next Millennium (Amiga) Game Download

Download the original Deuteros: The Next Millennium for Amiga, a retro game ready to play, packed for Windows and Mac with the proper emulator.

13356.jpg

I got to a point in the solar system where I was fighting the foes, but near the end of the battle, they'd retreat with just two units and that was it. I was unable to figure out what I was to do next to either further the game or finish it off.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I remember owning Syndicate, and I could not for the life of me figure out how to play it. Which is a shame because I was convinced it was right up my alley.

15rs4ZC.png

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Ecco the Dolphin
Aliens happened, dolphin's left, splashing around in the void with no idea what to do next

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
MYST.

It's still MYST.

The furthest I've gotten into MYST was thanks to a guide, and that was like a decade ago.

PontyfaxJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
I actually owned Mario is Missing for the SNES, wound up being one of the first games I ever finished by myself. To this day I enjoy it for how chill it is and the music, though as an adult a lot of the "Historical and Geographic Trivia" that makes up the edutainment part seems sus.

Mission Impossible on N64 is one I rented a lot as a kid and couldn't make heads nor tails of.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Jurassic Park on SNES. That game broke me, I never, ever, could figure it out. I just wandered left and right, up and down and nothing.

facing-off-againt-the-t-rex_1.jpg

Other offender was MGS on the PS1: not being an English speaking kid made somewhat troublesome not only to follow the story, but also understand shit you were supposed to do. It was a though ride, but I managed in the end due to sheer stuborness and a bit of spoilers from friends at school. To this day, it's the only MGS that I like and sits on my all time top 5 games list.

Last edited:

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
"I keep shooting at him but nothing is happening" lol
maxresdefault.jpg
Oh, this takes me back. I'd tried everything I could think of, and then finally had to call the friend I'd borrowed the game from in order to figure out which weapon I needed to use. But at least I beat Mega Man 2 right after that.

I was less successful with this little title that I'd received as a gift:
sNvj3BM.jpg

I'd gotten at least somewhere in other Infocom-style text adventures, but that Star Trek one was so obtuse and buggy that I never made any sort of progress at all.

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
There's plenty.
Zelda II: got stuck after completing the second palace. I knew I needed the raft to advance and I wondered around the map looking for something. Unfortunately I didn't knew English back then so I could get the clues about how to arrive to the island palace.
TNMT on the NES: fucking underwater bombs.
American baseball on Master system: I had no idea what to do, not that I didn't know the rules, but I never figured out how to quickly pass the ball to the basemen.
Ghostbuster on the master system: WTF is goin on?
Omikron: I don't even remember his I ended up having that game. I just remember I booted up and had no idea of what to do.
Beneath a steel sky: first time I played a graphic adventure, never went past the very beginning.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
HTalAOt.png

I got BASIC Programming for Atari 2600 back in '79 or '80.

Unfortunately I was a couple/few years too young to really wrap my head around learning rudimentary BASIC language. The tools are legit robust for the platform as it came with two keypads with various overlays along with a thick af instruction book.

It's a shame, 'cause even back then I was a tech-head and I imagine getting an early start in programming could have catapulted my career interests & talents in a completely different direction.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Ghostbusters on C64. I would have been about 5 when I played it but I don't think i'd be able to work that shit out as an adult.

x1080

Also on my first playthrough of FF7 I didn't know how to use materia until Shinra HQ

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I remember renting Landstalker (GEN) back in the day from a video store in my hometown. Got to the underground crypt riddle part and got absolutely stumped. To be fair several of those "riddles" are cryptic and non-obvious as hell. Years later was able to figure out what to do in each room and eventually continue. Turns out the game after that is ROUGH. I still really like the game though.