Metroid Dread
Starfox Grand Prix
The F-Zero game Nintendo Europe supposedly wanted Criterion to make
Final Fantasy Versus XIII

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Star Wars 1313 and Amy Henig's Star Wars
Both axed in the same decade, I just wanted an Uncharted style Star Wars game T_T

Prey 2 is another and I'm surprised nobody has decided to just copy all of that and make it their own. There's a surprise lack of bounty hunter games.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Still waiting for Loose Cannon tbh.
loosecannonbeta04.jpg

loosecannonbeta07.jpg

loose-cannon-cancelled-x01.jpg

I remember this being in development around the time GTA 1 came out and it was mind blowing thinking about an actual 3D open world game where you could walk around.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
A sequel to Simon the Sorcerer 2 that used beautiful pixel graphics instead of whatever Simon the Sorcerer 3D became (still haven't beaten it)

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Those trailers are still etched in my mind and are still awesome. I liked FFXV but Versus XIII looked better

DKeygo

Jun 29, 2019
Project Phoenix
It had a pretty successful Kickstarter with a lot of names attached. Then eventually it came out that they hadn't even hired anyone. I still check on its page from time to time because I'm a masochist. It's mostly apologizing and refund demanding. Kinda hilarious because I remember the person in charge of the account being salty about Mighty No. 9 doing so much better. Saying something to the extent that they were gonna be doing so much more with so much less.

White Knight Chronicles successor
Level 5 keeps saying they're working on it or that something is gonna show up soon but I just keep dying inside whenever there's a Level 5 announcement 😭😭😭

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people posting Star Wars 1313, but the fact that this Star Wars game never came out - has haunted me since it leaked all the way back in 2008. My best buddy and I played the SHIT out of (old) Battlefront 2, from when it came out, all the way through University. We'd set up our laptops between classes and play LAN games on mod maps (the modding community for that game was insanely awesome) - friends would come by and they'd be like "why are you playing this old game" etc. - but it was our game. Anyway, I remember a night back in 2008 (before University), we were talking about a hypothetical Battlefront 3, questioning where it was, etc. I google it for the hell of it and I'm suddenly hit with the below video. We both went nuts, we couldn't believe what we were seeing - and I think it was literally the day after this leaked, that it was confirmed to have been cancelled. It was like two incredibly powerful emotions, each one at the opposite end of the spectrum, and we had felt them within like 12 hours of each other. Instant joy, instant sadness - and I'm still sad about it.

Yeah Battlefront 3 would have been amazing at the time, all of us working on the BF1 Conversion Pack really wanted it but the announcement just never came. Think I finally gave up hope when they announced Force Unleashed 2 at one E3, that was the last chance.

If you want to play around with the assets, the PSP game Battlefront Elite Squadron was seemingly reworked from the PSP port of Battlefront 3 and features a bunch of maps and even some of the campaign. You can definitely tell where they ran out of road as it were (the red armor woman from the concept art just showing up with almost no introduction is a good example of this) but outside of getting a later build than the one Borman got, it's your best bet.
Funny thing, the game even had a trailer that was obviously meant for BF3 at one point:

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Battlefront 3 would have been amazing at the time, all of us working on the BF1 Conversion Pack really wanted it but the announcement just never came. Think I finally gave up hope when they announced Force Unleashed 2 at one E3, that was the last chance.

If you want to play around with the assets, the PSP game Battlefront Elite Squadron was seemingly reworked from the PSP port of Battlefront 3 and features a bunch of maps and even some of the campaign. You can definitely tell where they ran out of road as it were (the red armor woman from the concept art just showing up with almost no introduction is a good example of this) but outside of getting a later build than the one Borman got, it's your best bet.
Funny thing, the game even had a trailer that was obviously meant for BF3 at one point:

Yep. Tried it, seen the trailer - I was incredibly steeped in this stuff back then haha.

But yeah, it's all just a super-bummer. Despite my enjoyment of DICE's take on Battlefront - it definitely seemed like Free Radical had more of a grasp on what made those games special - and they wanted to take it in the logical direction (ground to space battles) whereas DICE has done their own thing.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Was always bummed Ushiro never happened:

Level-5 has announced they're back on it, but iunno if it's going to be anywhere close to the same thing (at the very least, I doubt it'll be turn-based anymore since they've been allergic to that the past decade...).

Dang looks pretty interesting and low budget too (don't mean that in a bad way. Just hopefully is a good sign they will actually make it since the budget won't just drain company). I would love to play a game like that. I feel like Japan horror has the best backstory to their hauntings (vengeful spirit, killed and filled with hate so soul turned into something awful), whereas American horror is usually just demon from hell or something.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Mine is the untitled Bomberman 64 spiritual sequel that was being developed for the 3DS.

Based on what I've read:
  • Spherical bomb explosions return from Bomberman 64
  • Elemental bombs return from Bomberman 64: The Second Attack
  • Bomberman would have a health bar in single player
  • Four-player multiplayer would likely use the + shaped explosions
  • Bomberman would unlock robotic upgrades for his suit in single player
  • Single player levels fully 3D akin to the 64 games while multiplayer would be static overhead camera.
Game was cancelled when Hudson went under and Konami bought their properties.

Bomberman3DS_1.jpg

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Prey 2
Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned
Also I really hope Wild comes out.

Nov 6, 2017
They announced an open world Alan Wake game that didn't come out??? I never heard anything about this!!!
Alan Wake was announced as open world, back when it was a PC exclusive that Intel regularly demoed to show off their new multicore consumer CPUs. IIRC the engine in the finished game was still theoretically open world, the level structure was purely there for gameplay reasons

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Eternal Darkness 2 =(

First game is so weird and unique. Also the magic system is amazing, can still hear the Chattur'gha voice casting runes.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
The two that immediately come to mind are the two Star Wars games that never materialized: 1313 and the Amy Hennig production.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They announced an open world Alan Wake game that didn't come out??? I never heard anything about this!!!
Yesss. The initial trailer had a town you could explore and basically what transpires in the first game would have been implemented in an open world concept. That trailer even featured cars, implying you could drive them to various locations etc.:( Sad we never got that.