• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i think within a year of launch works. otherwise every major capcom game would be a january shadow drop.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
we're all gonna say some shit like oh man we gotta make sure games are ready before their announced hype is bad and it's not good for the game

and cyberpunk out here and is gonna sell more the witcher 3 ever could have imagined within a couple of weeks and that game was announced 7 years ago by the time that game comes out

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, hard for me to care either way. Like I'm not sure who or what a game getting announced too early is really hurting. Sure the wait can be tough, but that doesn't feel like a big deal.

There are so many good games coming out every year these days, really no reason to focus too much on things that are years away.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry so much about the hype cycle and you will care less about when a game is announced vs when it is released. That is what I try to do at least. When a game comes out is less important when I am cycling through my backlog and enjoy games in the moment.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capcom handles it pretty well these days, only announcing games when they're at most a year out. I'd say games coming in the spring of the following year is fine, but nothing too far out (delays aside).

Yeah capcom is good with a quick turn around from announcement to release. Bethesda game studios used to be until these starfield and elder scrolls 6 announcements. Square enix is the worst offender though. They announce games literally right as they enter pre production and expect people to wait some times 5 plus years for them. Nintendo is hit or miss. Usually they announce things the year they come out. A one year hype cycle for smash was pretty unheard of especially after 4 and brawl. But there are outliers of course in mainline zelda titles and metroid prime 4

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, announce them as early as possible. I'm sick of the secrecy the industry operates in. The movie industry does quite well for itself doing the complete opposite of what's described in the OP.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Why is it a bad thing if a game gets announced early?

Blame the community for getting too overhyped or not setting realistic expectations on when it will release,not the early announcement that a dev is working on a project.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Nope, announce them as early as possible. I'm sick of the secrecy the industry operates in. The movie industry does quite well for itself doing the complete opposite of what's described in the OP.
Obviously it's harder to hide stuff regarding movie production given how big they can be. But even then, Marvel Studios is now playing things closer to the chest in terms of how much detail we get for movies coming in the pipeline from Phase 4 onwards.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
It's not like you're actively following every single game every single day, stalking their twitters, sitting on the edge of your chair, hungry for any bit of info. You wishlist it and forget about it until it's like a week before release. What does it matter if it's announced super early? Kickstarter games are announced even before development starts and nobody bats an eye lol.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think there's anything wrong with being transparent about what you're working on, even if it's years from completion. But I'd rather they not peddle bullshit trailers and previews that aren't going to look or play like the final product.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Pictured: SquareEnix if they weren't allowed to announce games 7 years too early

giphy.gif

Serious answer - Yeah, announcing games too early is annoying and I personally think it can negatively impact a games marketing if you announce too early.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the more open devs can be the better. Folks get too addicted to hype cycles and don't know how to manage expectations, that's not the developer's fault.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
I fully agree with you OP.

Some games get announced waaaay too soon, try to hype you up for years, and in a good amount of times that is for nothing.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
All my favorite games are games I didn't know existed until the day I got em so as far as I'm concerned they should just go the extra mile and announce that shit a month in advance.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I understand the sentiment but some games get a lot of help from being announced early. However, I will admit that some games could help themselves, with at least me personally, if they just weren't announced until 12 months before release (Final Fantasy VII Remake, Metroid Prime 4, Death Stranding).

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I disagree, announcing games early works really well sometimes. Sony's e3 2016 was perfect because of it.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed 100%!

The weirdest thing is when people get hyped by a game announcement at a console unveil and then use that as a reason to buy and hype the console... at launch!

Would you ask the same thing of the movie industry?
Yes!
Avatar 2 has been talked about for 10 years. It comes out in 2021. Maybe. What's the point in talking about a movie that early??

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
A game can get announced in it's earliest phase and I'd be happy with it. If it didn't come out for 10 years I'd be cool with that too. There are so many videogames being released monthly I never feel like I'm waiting on anything. I don't relate to the ops mentality at all.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I love long cycles if they're willing to show the game frequently during development. Give me gray-boxed levels and someone talking about how they're working on getting the jump physics down just right or something.

I also enjoy stuff like that but I'd rather them announce and show off the game long after that phase of development. They can always show recordings/screenshots of the early stuff later.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom handles it pretty well these days, only announcing games when they're at most a year out. I'd say games coming in the spring of the following year is fine, but nothing too far out (delays aside).
Yeah they have been great recently. I find if a game is announced to early I lose all excitement and interest for it as time goes on until the launch feels pretty uneventful. One year of screens, news and trailers before release still has me buzzing.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really care. If an interesting game is announced early in dev (say, Death Stranding), I'll get to spend a lot of time hyping myself up for the game, and I enjoy the process, and I know it exists which is a plus.

If a game is announced late in development (say, Sekiro), I'm even more excited from the get go because it's close.

In short I find both valid and fun

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know Naughty Dog wanted to reveal TLoU Part II at PSX 2016 but Sony should've said no. Potentially 3 1/2 years is ridiculous and unnecessary.

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
There is a lot to gain by announcing early. Investor interest, share holder understanding on R&D investment directly tied to a product, mindshare in the market with a slow burn marketing campaign, project interest from outside talent who will want to work with you (best possible type of recruiting) plus the internal cultural benefits to a project that isn't under lock and key from the public.

Came here to post this, but you already nailed it, Pagusas - so I'll just quote your post to highlight it. The world of game development is a lot bigger than just the players on forums.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
They can advertise their product when they feel like it, if the gamers are impatient is their problem.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
yeah disagree. we need to get to a point where we know when projects have been green lit. I think you still don't show footage of the game until it's within a year of release and you don't open pre-orders until there is a release date. right now there's just way too much secrecy.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
It would be nice but I think there are a lot of other factors that make it hard. Movies, tv series, even books sometimes get announcements way before the final product is released. Keeping everyone quite on a undercover project is hard. I'm sure there are tons of other benefits like investors that I don't fully understand.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
If it's a sequel to an established series, I want it announced ASAP. I hate it when something is constantly teased or hinted at or leaked and rumored for so long, and literally gets announced last minute.

There's no point in holding an announcement. Just get it out of the way and officially tell us it's coming.

I was mad at E3 when Fable 4 wasn't announced. I don't care if I am waiting for it for awhile. We all know it's coming. Just get the announcement out of the way. I love how Bethesda approached Elder Scrolls 6. We all knew it was coming. They just got it out of the way.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cry much OP? There is a lot to gain by announcing early. Investor interest, share holder understanding on R&D investment directly tied to a product, mindshare in the market with a slow burn marketing campaign, project interest from outside talent who will want to work with you (best possible type of recruiting) plus the internal cultural benefits to a project that isn't under lock and key from the public. There are many draw backs too, some you pointed out, but all you did in your OP is come off like a little crying brat who cant be patient for something.

Hell the best example of this is FF7R, with the development crew feeling down after the first year due to project hardships, but being invigorated due to the insane support coming from the public. I remember one youtuber posting his story about the team being almost in tears from the outpouring of support and amazing fan response, and how much it inspired them to continue and make the best possible product. Sure some of that is PR spin, but I know how having people be excited over what you are doing is the fuel of the gods when you are feeling down.

If you are excited about a product and its taking a long time, why not try putting some of that passionate anger you have there into a message to that development staff showing your support for the long hours they are working to get something out.
A corporate apologist for the one corporation that is the worst offender of this. FF Versus XIII getting announced in 2006, eventually coming out in 2016, after it failed to meet its first release date of September 2016. It was still missing story bits.

DQXI announced for the NX in 2015 and isn't coming out until next month (and came out on PS4 and PC first to boot, three years later).

This is the same corporation that has now changed their stance on revealing games early as referenced in the tweet below, acknowledging it isn't the best practice. The longer a game's existence is out there in the wild before any tangible gameplay is accessible, the more scrutiny it can get. There's too much time to pick it apart and it can become a negative.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Movies are announced well in advance and I'm sure the shareholders boards also care... and it's also about planting flags on dates.

Seems like such a trivial thing to be upset about.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Nope. Announce them when you want. We want to see what's coming out in the future. These big games aren't these GAAS games that are broken on day one.

What you should say is make sure you release a game complete on day one. Not worry about when a game is being announced. Games have always and should always be announce years out, if they want too.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Scenario a) announce every project for the gen, no secrecy.

Scenario b) secrecy and keeping everyone on the edge of their seat.

Scenario A happens "I miss the old the days of speculation"

Scenario b this thread just whining and entitled folks. Be patient or go outside and do other stuff.

There's no such thing as complete happiness.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think there is a fair balance that can be found.

Companies like Square Enix definitely need to stop over-promising and announcing games years and years in advance because it always leads to a lot of negative press leading up to release. It did end up working in SE's favor for XV and KH3 because those games ended up being their bestselling titles due to the insane hype surrounding those projects, but I think if they repeat this over and over, they will eventually lose fans.

On the same end, I don't think games NEED to be announced a year before release. You risk leaving shareholders and consumers in a precarious situation where they don't announce anything for years because of how their pipeline is set up, so you risk these people losing confidence in your ability to deliver new products.

In the end, though, these are major corporations who don't actually care about anything except their bottom line. They will do what they want.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Being mad at a game being revealed early is easily the most baffling gamer rage to me.

I literally don't understand why anyone would care, and no one's ever been able to explain it to me.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
12-18 months should be the standard and I most of the industry seems to adhere to that as far multiplatform publishers go. Capcom especially comes to mind at being really good at this as of late.

Historically, the platform holders have been some of the worst offenders in this regard but that's largely improved in the case of for Nintendo and, as of the last couple years, Microsoft. They both more or less adhere to this timeframe with the odd exception here and there.

The biggest offenders this gen are easily Sony and Square, but it seems to have done nothing but work out swimmingly for them so I don't expect that to change any time soon.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
I've had Final Fantasy 7 Remake preordered on Amazon long enough that it's still 20% off because I'm a Prime member... Granted, I don't think they're going to honour this. Still has the placeholder box art...

EDIT: I actually came to say that I like Nintendo's usual MO of announcing games 3 months prior to release.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
While I don't mind some hype, it is refreshing when a company announces a game and then it has a short release window. When Capcom announced RE7 at Sony's E3 and it had an 8 month release window, I was even happier.

I disagree. The secrecy around games should change to something that more reflects what we do in the film industry. As soon as a project is at all started, an article comes out talking about. Tons of movies die on the vine of pre-production. Casting changes. Release dates changes. Everything with games is just falling into the marketing tricks, and in 2019 they're unnecessary.

I can agree with this

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. The secrecy around games should change to something that more reflects what we do in the film industry. As soon as a project is at all started, an article comes out talking about. Tons of movies die on the vine of pre-production. Casting changes. Release dates changes. Everything with games is just falling into the marketing tricks, and in 2019 they're unnecessary.
Absolutely this. The anger and frustration towards game announcements compared to every other entertainment medium just seems extremely archaic. You dont have to be hyped from the moment of annoucement to the moment of release; it's perfectly okay to forget a game exists, to not get constant updates, to not be constantly fiending for a release.