• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Cool. I wonder if it can cause issues. Didn't Bloodborne get patched to kick you out of the game in sleep mode because it caused memory leaks if you kept using it for too long?

Yes it did. The only souls game on which you can resume from Sleep mode straight to the game is SotFS and even then it forces you to sign in to play online after resuming.

The only reason I hate the lack of pause is because I can't even take a dump or answer the phone while playing these games.

You quit to menu and resume from where you left off.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I can not believe there are people who complain.

And if you have to get off the bus while you play what alternative you propose.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
You could always already suspend save anywhere in Dark Souls just by quitting out.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think not being able to pause is such a fundamental part of the game's design. What is fundamental is the game not stopping while you mess with your equipment, inventory and even the options. If the whole game stops while it's paused, so it's just a pause button, it's whatever.

Every in-game action needs to happen in real time, but if you can't do anything while it's paused, it's fine.

You can't even use it to cheese bosses in this case, for example, because you can't see anything while it's paused, so it's not even useful to read moves or anything like that. It's literally just a suspend feature with pause.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
You can't pause on Dark Souls, you can put Switch on Sleep Mode.

Two different things, yeah I know, fucking semantics.

But it is a console feature, not game feature.

On PC, if you play it windowed, clicking & holding the Window border essentially pauses the game aswell.
It isn't a pause, you're just freezing the game.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
OP, you messed up the title lol!

It's sleep mode. It's a standard OS feature. It's not in a game pause technically.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Yes+it+does+that+is+_903cbea130b18de269c425892b37daf3.jpg

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Considering that screwing over people who are changing configurations, repositioning the system, etc would be messed up even for Dark Souls, I believe it is a welcomed feature.

You may need to use your hands for other things while you're on the toilet.. for example. :D

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I've only played bloodborne, but that game at least had tons of places where you can stand and take a breather. Is Dark Souls different?
No, but the idea is you have to get to those places first to take that breather. You can't just create a safe spot out of thin air to collect your thoughts, or look up a strategy for the enemy you're in the middle of fighting.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
doesn't that make the game much less tense? i wouldn't like it at all. it's cool to have a game where you can't do that and you're forced to fight enemies/bosses with no escape.

so you're playing dark souls on transit. you're near your stop, the last checkpoint was quite a while ago. better miss your stop instead of pausing because it's less tense.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No, but the idea is you have to get to those places first to take that breather. You can't just create a safe spot out of thin air to collect your thoughts, or look up a strategy for the enemy you're in the middle of fighting.

But you can do that if you quit to the title screen and then continue.

Like, I've never really thought Dark Souls needed a pause button as you can just quit to the title screen. But I also don't think it shouldn't have one.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
how so? what does not-pausing do for the game?

The not-pausing is there because you might be invaded if you are playing online, just like you can't pause in most multi-player games.

Why you can't pause while playing offline is probably the developers trying to keep the experience consistent, but I have really never seen a reason for not being able to pause when offline, specially when the alternative (quit to menu) can be so easily exploited (to avoid deaths by fall damage or to reset certain enemies / game states)

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Do people not know how dark souls works? If you quit then you'll restart exactly where you left off. It's essentially a pause button lol.

Edit: Though I suppose this would allow for pausing during a boss fight.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The not-pausing is there because you might be invaded if you are playing online, just like you can't pause in most multi-player games.

Why you can't pause while playing offline is probably the developers trying to keep the experience consistent, but I have really never seen a reason for not being able to pause when offline, specially when the alternative (quit to menu) can be so easily exploited.
yea, I phrased my original statement to exclude online-enabled place since that's the only legitimate reason. I remember playing Phantasy Star Universe's story mode, being pissed that you couldn't pause, which was a big oversight to me