Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the finale was fine, but the build to the last arc was horrible. I especially liked Arya's conclusion.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Score is totally justified when the show lost so much logic (its strong point for years) during this past season.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's not just backlash, the episode was bad on just about every fundamental level except production value. It was poorly executed. I think it might genuinely be one of the worst episodes of television I've ever watched. It's more than just "my favorite character didn't win, waaaaahhh." It's completely and utterly nonsensical. It's toothless. There were elements of the episode that were actively insulting to an audience who has spent 8 years with the show.

Nov 18, 2017
I agree the final season of Breaking Bad was better than the last 2 seasons of Game of Thrones, leading up to Ozymandias, but the ending with Nazi Jack and the machine gun car and everything tied up in a bow? That was just as dumb as anything in GoT. They're both reasonable endings.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I don't understand the logic of rating the finale lower than the penultimate episode. In the same vein, I don't understand why people are more upset about what they did with Danaerys in episode 6 than they are about what they did with her in episode 5. Her end wasn't bad, it's the way they got her there that was bad.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
TFW Big Bang Theory had the better TV finale that week.

0Zc7f4d.gif

I'm not even joking actually

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The final episode is reasonable considering the season. George will get to this point, albeit more elegantly. We just have to wait 10 years or so.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Score is totally justified when the show lost so much logic (its strong point for years) during this past season.
Logic doesn't just come out of nowhere. It comes from tedious, tedious writing.

The writers of this show had an insurmountable challenge trying to live up to GRRM's writing in the final seasons of the show. There are reasons he writes so slowly. There are reasons most TV shows don't juggle half as many characters and plotlines as GoT.

MrChocolate

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The entire show is about how that Ted guy met his children's mother
S1 he dates Robin, dates her a few times and breaks up a few time with her. They always hang out anyway.
In the penultimate season though, Robin decides to get married to Barney, another friend (NPH)
The whole entire season is about their wedding. Ted meets the mother at the wedding, a whole episode is about letting go of Robin.

Then in the last episode, he meets the mother, there's a montage of them being happy, having children, then he says she died. First twist.
Oh and the Barney and Robin wedding didn't work so they split after a few years. Second twist.
Jump to present day and the kids are like "you should totally fuck aunt Robin". Then he does. Third twist.

The show starts with Ted falling in love with Robin. If people didn't know what to expect, they shouldn't blame the ending. I mean, one of the S8 last chapters said out loud that Tracy would die and Ted would end with Robin, because apparently, it wasn't clear enough from day 1.

My only uneducated guess early on, was that Ted was lying with Robin not being "mom".

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't understand the logic of rating the finale lower than the penultimate episode.
This episode had a character deliver a monologue that was essentially directed at the viewers of the show, saying "you're all stupid for believing what we told you to believe." And then the same character later goes on to opine about the importance of great stories. It's fucking miserable.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
It again had some really dumb shit, but it wasn't the by far worst episode of this season.
This is just the result of hating becoming cool.
42% rated it with the lowest score of 1/10, i mean come on ...

Nov 18, 2017
The show starts with Ted falling in love with Robin. If people didn't know what to expect, they shouldn't blame the ending. I mean, one of the S8 last chapters said out loud that Tracy would die and Ted would end with Robin, because apparently, it wasn't clear enough from day 1.

Pretty sure her death was only revealed in the finale. You got a source on the S8 claim?

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
This episode had a character deliver a monologue that was essentially directed at the viewers of the show, saying "you're all stupid for believing what we told you to believe." And then the same character later goes on to opine about the importance of great stories. It's fucking miserable.
I need to go back to that first scene. I noticed the parallel to real-world discussions of Dany's character, and the fact that Tyrion's critical reading of her character wins out in that argument is a hilarious indictment of her writing. I need to dig deeper into it though. I still think that the build was worse than the actual end, and Tyrions perspective actually matches with that.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My only uneducated guess early on, was that Ted was lying with Robin not being "mom".
Wasn't the Robin thing intended misdirection?

MrChocolate

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure her death was only revealed in the finale. You got a source on the S8 claim?

Do you mind if I link a video?

Those are facts. The rest were educated guesses. For example, I'll talk about your mother but first, let me start describing Robin with such a passion that it would make you think I never stopped loving her ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"Maybe they'll stick the landing".
giphy.gif

I am now morbidly curious if the books will "fix" it, go a different route entirely, or just... never get finished.

Oct 25, 2017
The most amsusing thing about all of this is pretending anyone ever gave a shit about IMDB scores lol

I say this as someone who did not care for the ending.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I need to go back to that first scene. I noticed the parallel to real-world discussions of Dany's character, and the fact that Tyrion's critical reading of her character wins out in that argument is a hilarious indictment of her writing. I need to dig deeper into it though. I still think that the build was worse than the actual end, and Tyrions perspective actually matches with that.
It would have been much more reasonable if Tyrion had been able to go on to describe all the awful things she did that were more questionable. But the only examples he gave of when we "cheered her on" were killing a bunch of people who even Tyrion admitted were evil. Like... so what?

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, most of it is probably review bombing and spiking (it's not a 1/10 or a 10/10), but I'm pressed to think of a finale to a show that had such a rocky and bad ending. At least The Office recovered itself in its final moments during the dreadful last season.

Is there an update of the IMDB or RT chart showing the falloff this season?

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
40% 1/10 is pure trolling.

It really isn't. 1 is too generous. They just rushed to close a lot of threads in nonsensical ways. Things they built up went absolutely nowhere. They ended with a generic ending. Across the entire season they just forced stupid shit through littered with references to past seasons. In a normal show that would be common but for GoT it's really just slapping everyone in the face.

It went from a show that ran on political intrigue, prophecies, gods and magic to... Uh... Whatever the fuck this entire last season was.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
It would have been much more reasonable if Tyrion had been able to go on to describe all the awful things she did that were more questionable. But the only examples he gave of when we "cheered her on" were killing a bunch of people who even Tyrion admitted were evil. Like... so what?
It's fuzzy for me now, but I also definitely had this famous dril tweet in my mind while he was giving that speech. It just further illustrates how bad a job D&D did of transitioning from [killing bad people in perhaps too-gruesome a fashion] to [literally indiscriminately torching civilians]. The fact that he was calling that out (and that the writers were seemingly unaware of how damning such a statement is of their work) amused me.

48b.jpg

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't. 1 is too generous. They just rushed to close a lot of threads in nonsensical ways. Things they built up went absolutely nowhere. They ended with a generic ending. Across the entire season they just forced stupid shit through littered with references to past seasons. In a normal show that would be common but for GoT it's really just slapping everyone in the face.

It went from a show that ran on political intrigue, prophecies, gods and magic to... Uh... Whatever the fuck this entire last season was.

1 is the lowest score on IMDB so, technically, this score cannot be "too generous".

:P

And while we're at it: The show's overall score is still 9,5/10 (1.497.665 votes). The final season, especially the last 3 episodes, were rushed. Yeah. But do not expect that the books will have another not-so-happy ending...

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Probably lower than it actually deserves but hey, you make Bran King and Bronn lord of the Reach then this is what you get.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with people saying the Breaking Bad finale ain't that great. The lead up to it is good, but everything is too perfect, and feels like just one last wacky Walt antic with some bad villains. It's too perfect and safe. If we're talking great finale that actually went for something bigger, then Sopranos or Six Feet Under come to mind.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dexter is one of the best finales ive ever seen, an incredible parody/satire

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I really cannot stand user reviews on sites like IMDb or meta critic. The vast majority are 0's or 10's and are just piled on reactions that are meaningless. Do people really think they are providing some kind of valuable hot take?