• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was it really that bad?

• Nah, fuck that. Stop coddling Geoff, this was on him.

Votes: 133 26.5%
  • GA2019 was bad but I don't blame Geoff

Votes: 62 12.4%
  • GA2019 was disappointing but I liked one or two of the announcements

Votes: 94 18.8%
  • Forget the announcements, I was happy about the winners!

Votes: 32 6.4%
  • I never trust studios or Twitter hype, so it didn't bother me.

Votes: 122 24.4%
  • It was a great awards show, announcements be damned!

Votes: 58 11.6%

• Total voters

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
People need to get some perspective. I just like seeing new stuff get announced, no matter how many are announced.

One new thing? Freakin' awesome!

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Sekiro winning and being pretty happy about that. Didn't even know there was a backlash.

Deleted member 44122

Geoff books the games and selects the reveals that are available to him. If he has fuck all, he shouldn't hype it to the moon. It's his baby so the buck stops with him really.

Great guy, but he's a hype bastard.
i disagree, hes always telling people not to expect too much, that the hype trailers for his shows arent hints of whats gonna be shown, that some companies cant or dont want to show their stuff last minute (even as late as the day of). hes VERY open about this kind of stuff

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's no option in the poll for "I thought the VGAs last year were great, and had no issues with it at all"

So I didn't vote

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
It's not a good poll. What about us that liked the show regardless of the winners (I didn't like the winners)?

I go in expecting very little in terms of announcements. A few small ones are good enough.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really remember much nor the reasons to be hyped about anything in particular. I was just happy Miyazaki got an award finally.

Xeonidus

ā€œFuck them kids.ā€
Oct 28, 2017
They need to have an award show with just awards. I know its a celebration of gaming and people love hearing new announcements but expectations are often too high. It's a tough situation to be in because you do want to build excitement but at the same time you need to somehow manage those expectations so people don't leave disappointed. They have already set expectations though and now people who watch essentially do so for new announcements rather than the awards themselves to celebrate the hard work people put in, which is what it should be in my opinion. Instead, you have the awards that are second to new announcements.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It was perfectly fine and Sekiro won game of the year. The only really odd part was the Fast and the Furios thing with Vin Diesel giving out GOTY.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
The only worthwhile announcement was the Xbox which was hype AF but the problem is that the game awards gets billed as a small E3 when it's just an awards show.

Geoff should set better expectations which of course is hard because he's just as much in love with fun games and announcements as we are so it's tough.

It's good as an award show but bad if you expect E3. I want the awards show so I always enjoy it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
People who see TGA for announcements shouldn't see TGA because they are usually setting themselves up for disappointment.

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I want an award show. Not another E3. I want the art of video games to acknowledged/recognized. Not the latest shiny thing.
This is incredibly reasonable.

Had we not been following all the news, studio teases, twitter hype and just watched it as an awards show like say, the Oscars, I don't think it would have been an issue at all.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't recall any kind of negative reaction to the show, iirc most people thought it was well done.

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
yeah you're not supposed to expect E3-level megatons from TGA. the announcements and exclusive reveals are like an added bonus.
Yeah I think I should have titled the thread: Let's Not Overhype the 2020 Game Awards this time.

Not sure what to do about studios teasing reveals that don't happen. I think that's just something we need to adjust for collectively.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
People didn't like the Game Awards last year? For me, the announcement of Xbox Series X and Hellblade 2 made the entire show.

I don't even remember any Game Awards winners, and I won't pay attention much to the actual awards winners this year. I mainly tune in for cool announcements but don't let myself get too hyped :) That's why last year was fucking awesome lol

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think Geoff has done a great job with the show each year and 2019 was no exception.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Were the reveals bad? Mostly yes. Was it Geoff's fault? No. He gets what he can and if the trailers are bad it's on them not him. Only thing maybe you can point at him is having the laughable Fast & Furious game right when you're going to announce GOTY.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
What was wrong with last year's show? Game Awards always gets backlash because there's no way to please everyone.

it definitely had some missteps like having Fast and Furious be the final reveal but overall I had a great time with it

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Yeah I think I should have titled the thread: Let's Not Overhype the 2020 Game Awards this time.

Not sure what to do about studios teasing reveals that don't happen. I think that's just something we need to adjust for collectively.

yeah, they're not helping the situation with the way they and Geoff tend to hype them up as if they're the whole point of the show

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't perceive 2019 any worse/different than the recent ones. To be fair, it's Geoff's job to hype the show up so you actually tune in. I think the expectations are just increasingly misaligned.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Can somebody post the unwarranted hype? Because I just remember some cool announcements alongside the rewards which is pretty par for the course. If gamers acted entitled to bigger news and got upset when there wasn't what they wanted, that also seems par for the course.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the Goddamn Superheroes No More Heroes trailer, but that was honestly all I really remember aside from them ending with a The Fast and the Furious trailer which was like what.

I was expecting Zelda, but that's on me. I also guess I remember Three Houses also winning the players choice GOTY despite not being nominated for the actual GOTY, and that was pretty satisfying.

I can't really blame Geoff for being the hype man, and think what he's put together is pretty impressive, but I doubt TGA is ever going to be what I want it to be.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The fuck is this thread? It was a pretty good show with great awards and reveals, even if some wasn't for me. What did Geoff ever do to hurt you, OP?

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I love his enthusiasm and he brings a bit of elegance and flair in an industry full of try-hards. Sure, he hypes his show way more than what it can deliver but then again, isn't that what hype is anyway?
Looking forward to this year's awards

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Sometimes shit doesn't go off like an organiser hopes. Geoff does a bloody amazing job and is one of a kind in this scene we call vidya games.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's disappointment after every TGA, and it was the same with the VGAs back then.

Even if they show a bunch of exciting stuff, I'm sure there will be people very angry and disappointed at something. I just see it and enjoy what I can.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was fine but not their best show. The show has suffered from the same issues with pacing, brushing off so many awards, and weak skits for years and hasn't really addressed any of them, so it's not a surprise that it has suffered from diminishing returns. The relatively weak announcements last year were a distraction, they aren't the primary thing holding the show back

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No to mention we got the official Xbox Series X reveal, Hellblade 2, Bravely Default 2, Godfall (first PS5 game revealed), Wolf Among Us 2. Trailers for Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk, NMH3... Alyx being pulled in the last second isn't Geoff's fault.

Sometimes I wonder what will ever satisfy some of you. I would feel so bad if I were Keighley and saw this thread.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
EVERY awards show in EVERY industry is just Marketing and Pageantry.

Don't expect anything else. It's not E3 Winter Edition.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
All I remember about last year's show is that the Series X was revealed and Sekiro won GOTY. Those are two pretty cool things so I was satisfied.

Oct 27, 2017
Given that time has felt like it has moved about 20% normal speed in 2020, I don't remember a thing about a games show from a year ago. What was so bad about it?

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Lmao I completely forgot about Vin Diesel and that awful looking game! šŸ¤£

It's always fun to speculate what will show up and obviously it's disappointing when good announcements are lacking, but if I was overly upset about it I forgot pretty quickly. Maybe Geoff should dial down the hype but at the end of the day he's done a great job with the Game Awards.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Geoff wanted to sell his show to gullible viewers, when he in fact had very little to sell. Since he didn't take money from viewers I wouldn't imply it was anything else than being kind of a charlatan.