• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was it really that bad?

• Nah, fuck that. Stop coddling Geoff, this was on him.

Votes: 133 26.5%
  • GA2019 was bad but I don't blame Geoff

Votes: 62 12.4%
  • GA2019 was disappointing but I liked one or two of the announcements

Votes: 94 18.8%
  • Forget the announcements, I was happy about the winners!

Votes: 32 6.4%
  • I never trust studios or Twitter hype, so it didn't bother me.

Votes: 122 24.4%
  • It was a great awards show, announcements be damned!

Votes: 58 11.6%

• Total voters

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
The internet was not happy about the 2019 Game Awards.

Reddit: r/Games Official Discussion
Reddit: Live Discussion
Reddit: That was really bad
Resetera - Game Awards Discussion Thread
Gamefaqs - Switch Discussion

Why? GameXplain and other youtube channels explain:
ChiGuy - The 2019 Game Awards was Awful
BeatEmUps - What Happened to the Game Awards?
GameXplain - So the 2019 Game Awards happened...

I'll admit. I was pissed that night.

I watched the entirety of the Game Awards last year. I came home from an office Christmas party, I stayed up hours later than usual and became increasingly exhausted and irritable as the night went on. The next morning, feeling disappointed and insanely tired, it felt vindicating to see so many major publications and forums tear into the show. I joined a massive thread here on Era, pages of pissed off comments and I still felt like I needed to add my own.

But looking back, something really rubs me the wrong way. A lot of these posts were blaming Geoff Keighley.
The guy who loves games, celebrates gaming as an art, boosts creators who deserve more spotlight, the guy who put this entire thing together.

So was it his fault that none of those teased announcements happened?
Was it his fault that the show was bogged with trailers for crappy looking MOBAs and F2P games?
Was it really his fault that big announcement for the end of the show was Vin Diesel telling us that he "saw" a trailer for Fast9 and showing off a PS2-looking low budget fast and furious game?

I feel silly for reacting the way that I did. I feel guilty for complaining that we were let down by something that had been so much better in years before, when without Geoff, it may not have ever existed in the first place.

And yes, many studios, and Geoff himself, were on Twitter teasing many of those reveals that never ended up happening--- but what happens when Nintendo or Rocksteady pull out at the last minute? So yeah some of that disappointment was from announcements that were told to expect, but let's be honest and admit that a lot of it was just our own hype.

I remember listening to GameXplain's predictions podcast. They were trying to hype responsibly and comment one what was "expected", "likely" "unlikely" or a "shot in the dark". NONE of their 30-odd predictions came to pass, even the tiny obvious ones and I was really frustrated that I had stayed up all night hoping to be excited or even caught off guard by something interesting and new.

That was my own fault.

At the end of the day, teased announcements not happening shouldn't overshadow the tight production, fantastic nominees and great hosting work by Geoff himself. I would bet bottom dollar that the crappy Fast and Furious announcement was a last minute replacement for something else. I would bet anything that it was completely out of Geoff's control. The games he teased on twitter? What was he supposed to do if they suddenly backed out??

9905_geoff_header.jpg

Geoff seems like a good dude. He puts together an awesome show that wouldn't exist without him. Let's hype responsibly this year. Don't downplay the impact of the pandemic.

I plan to do what I forgot to do last year- Watch the show for the actual awards.

It's an awards show after all.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. He runs the show and regularly insisted bigger games would be there like Elden Ring.

You even need to see the 👀 he posted to Konami and PS and now people are insistent Silent Hill is going to be there. He knows exactly what he is doing and if the game doesnt show its your fault for assuming so

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
... I thought it was fine? Do people actually expect the thing to be a mini-E3 or some shit?

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
I just think that The Initiative game will be revealed at this year's TGA. I don't usually watch these shows, both 2018 and 2019 I found very boring. Lots of advertising, too.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Geoff books the games and selects the reveals that are available to him. If he has fuck all, he shouldn't hype it to the moon. It's his baby so the buck stops with him really.

Great guy, but he's a hype bastard.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
It was fine, a bit meh on the announcement side of things but you can't always deliver bangers. And Sekiro won so overall I was happy

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
It was best structured GOTY show we have had. The announcements themselves were meh but that's not on Geoff (as in he has to do with what he is given). So no.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
He doesn't control what gets announced. He always does an outstanding show, but it is not his fault that companies decide to not take those crazy rumored titles to the VGA.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I think last year was the weakest in terms of announcements but the best in terms of being an awards show.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It's Geoff's show, it's his fault.

Honestly all I want them to do is kill off the self indulgent overlong music numbers.

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? I mean yes, in the sense that he is responsible for the show's planning and execution (and thus overall quality), but people are always unreasonable with their expectations for reveals and such. Not really his fault people get hyped for no reason. And wasn't the Xbox Series X revealed there? That's kind of a big deal...

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I blame Geoff for making me stay awake till 5 in the morning to watch a trailer for a shitty Fast and Furious game.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing I remember about it was losing the bet on Zelda being shown off.... (I should prob change my avatar back)

I barely remember it, but i thought it was fine?

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
It's a big business marketing thing and big business is fucking garbage.

Simple as that really. Geoff is just the face of it.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
... we got a console unveil of the Series X and a Senua trailer people are still debating about whether it was actual graphics or CGI...

How could it have been more exciting?

I mean that's the kind of shit we expect at E3 not at an awards show.

I mean okay the Fast and Furious thing at the end was meh... but I was pleasantly surprised we got major announcements that were legitimately shocking they happened at an awards show.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I thought last years show was fine, and perhaps the best one that's been put on so far, though there's still room for improvement.

The biggest thing for me last year was the XSX and Hellblade 2 announcements very early on, which stole the show and left everything after feeling a bit stale in comparison.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Geoff is of course going to hype up his show because it's his show. But it's not his fault that people predicting the announcements got their predictions wrong. Gamexplain in particularly get a lot of predictions wrong because predictions are just that...predictions.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
... we got a console unveil and a Senua trailer people are still debating about whether it was actual graphics or CGI...

How could it have been more exciting?

I mean that's the kind of shit we expect at E3 not at an awards show.
And even then, It's not E3's fault either. They put the platform, it's the companies decision to what they show as well.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
The year before new gen are always kinda lame for new announcements.

E3 was a CG fest because no one is showing next gen footage at that point and the big stuff gets announced with the consoles reveals.

I expect this year to be considerably better, and hopefully with a bit less ads.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
I mean closing with the Fast and Furious was odd, but seeing the XSX for the first time was pretty damn unexpected and awesome, that shouldve closed the show

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I loved it, what's this thread about
... I thought it was fine? Do people actually expect the thing to be a mini-E3 or some shit?
I have no earthly idea what you're talking about.
What was his fault? Am I missing something about it being bad?
I explain in the OP, but the day after the awards show, gaming forums was tearing the show down and Geoff with it. Era was no different.
Looking back now, I think it was an overreaction but yes- there was a lot of blowback.

Yes. He runs the show and regularly insisted bigger games would be there like Elden Ring.

You even need to see the 👀 he posted to Konami and PS and now people are insistent Silent Hill is going to be there. He knows exactly what he is doing and if the game doesnt show its your fault for assuming so
I blame Geoff for making me stay awake till 5 in the morning to watch a trailer for a shitty Fast and Furious game.
It's Geoff's show, it's his fault.

Honestly all I want them to do is kill off the self indulgent overlong music numbers.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
2019 was alright. I was expecting bigger things especially from Nintendo. Since Reggie is not longer there and he was Geoff's Nintendo guy, I dont expect much this year either.

iconoclast

Dec 15, 2017
video game award shows have never not been terrible so i don't remember anything especially bad about 2019.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
We've come full circle. We were mad at Hyrdo-Bot because he was trying to pay the bills and keep the show alive and now that he's turned it into more of an actual award show we're mad the advertising isn't good enough.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not a lot of great announcements Iirc, but I don't blame Geoff. It's like his job description to hype the event up haha.

I think it's just good to temper expectations going into the event as "I might see some decently neat things" vs "I'm gonna expect some megatons".

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Fault? It was a good show.
There was a fuckton of blowback the next day. People were mad because the announcements weren't anything to talk about and a lot of the teased reveals were missing, but the show itself was structured tightly and nominees were rock solid.

He hyped it up to get views so yes he should get backlash
But what if the stuff he was told he could hype was pulled away at the last minute?