• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
That's a 36 hour drive, if you're going non-stop.
Yeah id like to hopefully one day get a clear picture of what happened after the 26th of August.

I was reading reddit where some speculate he was trying to get an alibi by hitch hiking alone but panicked and went back for the Van. (Maybe he realized he left the van near the body? )

If this is wrong to speculate about this, I will delete this comment.

Oct 25, 2017
This case reminds me a lot of the Josh/Susan Powell case in Utah a while back. Wife goes missing, husband acts suspicious and won't cooperate, they call him a "person of interest" but also just let him leave the state, he runs away to Washington, ultimately ends up killing himself and his two children in a fire.

Not sure why the cops don't take these cases more seriously and let the "person if interest" run free. Makes no sense to me.

i don't even know how the FBI didn't have at least someone watching him.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
When was it confirmed to be her? Saw the below in the timeline post. I mean obviously all evidence seems to indicate that but didn't think it had been confirmed yet.
  • September 19th: Body Found In Grand Teton National Park; Confirmed To Be Gabby
I mean, considering the location the body was found it really can be no one else.

Unless there just so happened to be another freshly decomposing body near where her cellphone and sandals were captured by camera footage, which would obviously be extremely unlikely in such a remote area.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
This case reminds me a lot of the Josh/Susan Powell case in Utah a while back. Wife goes missing, husband acts suspicious and won't cooperate, they call him a "person of interest" but also just let him leave the state, he runs away to Washington, ultimately ends up killing himself and his two children in a fire.

Not sure why the cops don't take these cases more seriously and let the "person if interest" run free. Makes no sense to me.
I think there's a very fine line they have to walk about what they can legally do. Sure it's easy to always go back and say they could have done more but what could they legally have done based on the facts at that time? Can they just throw trackers on cars, tap phones, etc legally without a court order? I would think they can't.

I'm ofc on your side with them doing more, I'm just trying to point out why maybe they can't even if they really want to.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
They really let this dude just dip out. Didn't even bother telling him not to leave town, or do any surveillance on him.

If Brian were Black, he would've been in custody just for the sake of questioning before any body was found.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well, people have rights so I am not sure what you want cops to do to control someone who hasn't been accused of anything. It's not about taking it seriously

That case wasn't really a police failure though, he was never out of touch with the police or the courts. He won visitation rights in family court despite the ongoing investigation. It was also a failure of 911, who literally did not take it seriously when the social worker called to say he grabbed the kids and locked her out. They basically said they'd have someone look into it when they have time. Audio is available, it's pretty heartbreaking

It was similar to what happened in "Dear Zachary"

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Cops will generally not detain someone in a case like this because fact of the matter is they don't have enough evidence to convict or hold a person. They didn't even have a crime. They had a missing person and a likely suspect not cooperating. And the window between the filed report and Brian's apparent last contact with his parents was only 3-4 days.

The problem with early detainment is it's easy to wiggle out of if you have good lawyer. They'd have him for 24 hours at most and he'd be out. And then the problem is you've flagged him as a priority suspect and drastically decreased his likelihood of cooperating and increased the probability of him fleeing.

When cops don't have enough to properly detain a person on bail, or convict, they're usually careful how they approach a situation. They want to give the suspect wiggle room that their behaviour and movements may lead to more concrete evidence. And they want to ensure when they do forcefully bring him in for questioning he is slow to seek legal advice.

The missing person report was filed, flagging the situation with the cops. Brian refused to cooperate. And only 3-4 days later he was "gone". That's a remarkably tiny window, before any body was found to further escalate the situation to what it is now.

Failure to appropriately monitor the suspect is another matter entirely.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A certain UK tabloid (not sure if they're banned here) posted an article with some crazy photographs. It looks like FBI swept the house half expecting to find Brian there, b/c there's a photo of some agents with weapons and a shields opening a trashcan just in case he was hiding there. Also a battering ram. Could also just be procedure I guess.

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
Failure to appropriately monitor the suspect is another matter entirely.

Yeah this is exactly what irks me about this entire situation.

I completely understand they can't detain someone without a crime, but they don't hire people to keep an eye on him and know his whereabouts at all times? That's irresponsible considering his behavior post-trip.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
A certain UK tabloid (not sure if they're banned here) posted an article with some crazy photographs. It looks like FBI swept the house half expecting to find Brian there, b/c there's a photo of some agents with weapons and a shields opening a trashcan just in case he was hiding there. Also a battering ram. Could also just be procedure I guess.
Some of it is likely procedure/shock value and posturing to make the parents talk.

I don't know how he thought he would get away with it.

I doubt anyone is thinking clearly when doing something like this.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
The search on reservoir was called off early, so I think FBI did not buy parents' bullshit

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I think they thought he might be hiding in the house.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I saw some sources claim that the body was "burried" when found.
Don't look anything "accident" for me.

Clearly not an accident. We know what happened here.

But I don't believe authorities have commented on the status of the body when it was found. Link to source?

(i.e. We should never be posting, "I read somewhere that..." Please link to sources.)

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well, people have rights so I am not sure what you want cops to do to control someone who hasn't been accused of anything. It's not about taking it seriously

That case wasn't really a police failure though, he was never out of touch with the police or the courts. He won visitation rights in family court despite the ongoing investigation. It was also a failure of 911, who literally did not take it seriously when the social worker called to say he grabbed the kids and locked her out. They basically said they'd have someone look into it when they have time. Audio is available, it's pretty heartbreaking

It was similar to what happened in "Dear Zachary"

I get what you're saying but let's not pretend police don't have VAST amounts of discretion in how they can handle any situation.

Like, just apply common sense and err on the side of caution.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Where does this bozo think he's going to hide? He likely has limited resources and unless his parents are REALLY stupid they're not going to help.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
How fucking disgusting was it for the Laundrie family to put out that statement about hoping Gabbie would be reunited with her family? They knew what happened, and I bet the lawyer did too. I hope they are all ruined for this.

Don't give me any "parents are allowed to protect their kids" or "the lawyer was doing his job" shit. They inflicted unnecessary harm on Gabbie's family and friends, and they knew what they were doing.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
You think it was a crime of passion instead of clear premeditation?
I would bet it was. Even the dumbest criminal wouldn't plan things to play out like this. Speculation: Based on what we know about their volatile relationship, I'd say they got into another one of those heated arguments, and like before, the fight got physical and he totally lost it and in a fit of rage he killer her. Then he panicked and made a series of stupid mistakes. Although, if he really is hearing voices like rumors say, then anything could be possible.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I would bet it was. Even the dumbest criminal wouldn't plan things to play out like this. Speculation: Based on what we know about their volatile relationship, I'd say they got into another one of those heated arguments, and like before, the fight got physical and he totally lost it and in a fit of rage he killer her. Then he panicked and made a series of stupid mistakes. Although, if he really is hearing voices like rumors say, then anything could be possible.
Guy sounds awfully impulsive.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight..
The couple go on a cross country trip in her van.
He returns home without her…in her van.

And police in Florida deemed he wasn't worth following?
This statement right here is why this case has captured everyone's attention-regardless of what the experts in thread are pontificating about.

It's so unusual that people are floored and obsessed with making sure this guy doesn't get away - and the police just seem inept.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Uh... is there a confirmed sighting that he was ever at his parent's house? The van certainly showed up, but did he? He was supposedly at the house and snuck out past all the media - somehow.
The whole thing is so bizarre.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Exactly, and that's the kinda thing that could make a guy suicidal, if he was drowning in regret after the initial panic died down.

Nov 14, 2017
repost from the previous thread, now with news media picks up :
on August 27 6~6:30 p.m, YouTubers Jenn And Kyle Bethune Spot And Record The Van Parked At The Side Of The Road
This maybe the video help authority locate the Gabby

Some uneasy details were uncovered from the videos:

.Close-ups of footage said to show Gabby Petito's van near where a body was found appear to show the rear door closing
www.insider.com

Close-ups of footage said to show Gabby Petito's van near where a body was found appear to show the rear door closing

A YouTubing family said it caught footage of Petito's van unoccupied. Zoomed in, the footage suggests the rear door closed as the family approached.

On 1:35 mark you could clearly see the van's back door is open
Someone was closing the back door as the car approaches

2. you could see her flip-flops and cell-phone on the back side of van. Yesterday, Gabby's body was found in nearby location by FBI.

8:00 - you see the van as they've driving pass the vehicle, Brian's hat is on the driver seat(the dash cam is facing the drivers face).
Su9nZ6b.png

The door isn't closing. It's the big black ladder on the back of the van aliasing in and out of the image combined with the fact that the van isn't clearly focused at that timestamp, so the ladder just appears as a blurred line.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Uh... is there a confirmed sighting that he was ever at his parent's house? The van certainly showed up, but did he? He was supposedly at the house and snuck out past all the media - somehow.
Only the parents have confirmed seeing him. So no to your question about a confirmed independent sighting.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I'm aware of. We only have BL's parents' and lawyer's word for it.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Brian gets away and hides sucessfully. Can charges still be brought against his parents? Imagine his parents being locked up for protecting him-and he gets away. Imagine knowing your parents are in jail for protecting you.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017

A Miami journalist said it is a legit picture

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

A Miami journalist said it is a legit picture

So LE obviously think (or know) he was in the house at some point.

Edit: He also seems to be less of a POI/missing person and more of a suspect now going by the drawn guns and shield. Or there's a gator in the shed.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Feels like this is one of those cases where a) decades from now Brian slips up while buying a coffee and is finally caught, or b) occam's razor - he's been dead for a while now, and his remains will be found shortly.

Oct 25, 2017
even if they knew he wasn't in there i assume they have to assume he's in there. You just never know.

I do think it's clear they don't think he's where the parents said he'd be.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
The door isn't closing. It's the big black ladder on the back of the van aliasing in and out of the image combined with the fact that the van isn't clearly focused at that timestamp, so the ladder just appears as a blurred line.
I haven't seen the footage on my PC monitor but everyone else agree here?

The person who downloaded the 1.9gb(?) video said its clearly the door closing. I would only believe those who have this video and seen on a big display. So not go by a mobile phone.

-Hyperion-

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 14, 2021
I feel bad for the victim and her family and all that, but why is this case getting so much national attention, evenon Era?

Missing White Girl Syndrome?

Because news of the case broke just as it was happening. A tangible mystery element and everything seemingly poised for new developments to quickly and easily be made known. Perfect for clickbait consumption. Now we enter the more traditional long search period followed by evidence gathering it'll probably be seen as less appearling by the media.