Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Thats a huge list, bigger than I thought. What will Crunchyroll do to make up for such a massive library loss? I think I already know the answer (nothing)
I mean... they picked up HiDive. True, they don't get the dubs, but the audience for dubs and subs don't overlap a whole ton. I'd imagine Funimation lost more than Crunchy did since simulsubs an hour after Japanese airing is huge, and their 'simul'dubs have been falling more and more behind.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
hmm. is new jojo's only on vrv/crunchroll? cause I'm about to cancel my vrv for funimation since most of my stuff is covered on funi and hulu.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It can't be said enough. But fuck Funimation and fuck Sony for going full greed with this. The Anime Industry in North America is small enough that it's an outright detriment to split everything out into its own service. Especially when those services will inevitably get full North American/American Rights and refuse to release in one or more regions like was extremely common a couple years ago before this deal was common place.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
It can't be said enough. But fuck Funimation and fuck Sony for going full greed with this. The Anime Industry in North America is small enough that it's an outright detriment to split everything out into its own service. Especially when those services will inevitably get full North American/American Rights and refuse to release in one or more regions like was extremely common a couple years ago before this deal was common place.
Sadly, this will turn people to pirate stuff again. But of course, greed triumph over common reason. Think I read somewhere that people pirate less when their shows are in a single platform, name it Netflix or Crunchyroll. One sub to watch them all.

In their stupidity, these companies are going to harm the industry again.

Oct 25, 2017
But **** Funimation and **** Sony for going full greed with this.
A companys goal is to make money, I dont know which logical business leader would really want to host content on another service thats in your same market driving people away from your own site. No subs on funimations own site for example meant funi wasnt even getting sub only people on their site. Its probably also the same reason sentai stopped putting their stuff on CR during the deal period and made more exclusives on their own site, putting their content on vrv and some on CR dilutes their own service, no ones going to pay for a service in the long term just for one show or a bunch of garbage shows. Never forget how season 3 of some shows were held exclusive on sentai site even though CR had two seasons of the show, or the same for sequels. Shameful.

At the end of the day all for profit companies are greedy and selfish for their own profits, CR has exclusives that arent offered on other platforms, they arent a faultless angelic being .

. One sub to watch them all.
Odd for people against greed, people surely love having a company monopolize the industry, the true greedy enterprise.

Woe are we the day Netflix rules the industry and season delay simulcasts for every show. Im sure doing that has really led to decreased piracy of those shows.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Sadly, this will turn people to pirate stuff again. But of course, greed triumph over common reason. Think I read somewhere that people pirate less when their shows are in a single platform, name it Netflix or Crunchyroll. One sub to watch them all.

In their stupidity, these companies are going to harm the industry again.

Even worse by refusing to work together, these idiots are reducing the amount of money they have to throw at shows. This meaning less shows overall being brought over, less of Crunchyroll/Funimation being on production committees and pushing western interests, and outside of the USA, more chance of fucking Hulu or USA only streaming services winning Full American Licenses for shows and refusing to air them outside of the USA, meaning Canada/Mexico/elsewhere get utterly fucked in the process. There is also now a higher chance of Netflix getting shows and refusing to simulcast them in the American Continent (which is BS since they Simulcast Anime in every other continent).

This also means less Dubs because Funimation no longer has access to the vast library of CR Licenses, so things like the highly educational show 'Cells at Work' (to pull an example) which fans and educators were begging to be dubbed last season will never happen because it's license is owned by Crunchyroll and Funimation has shown with this move that they wouldn't even entertain sharing anymore.

There is literally zero upside unless you are Sony collecting the subscription fees.

And in fact, you are 100% correct in remembering what you remembered since Consumers in general have been moving right back into the piracy camp as companies have begun pulling this shit.
The Rise of Netflix Competitors Has Pushed Consumers Back Toward Piracy

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Odd for people against greed, people surely love having a company monopolize the industry, the true greedy enterprise.

Woe are we the day Netflix rules the industry and season delay simulcasts for every show. Im sure doing that has really led to decreased piracy of those shows.
Let's be honest, if you paid only one sub and suddenly part of the catalogue you were used to have available is gone and now you have to pay another sub to watch it, would most people do that? Or will they go and find other ways to watch it without paying a sub?

Sure, monopoly is bad, I will never deny that. But in this case, one service to host most of the movies or shows is a great solution for consumers.

Oct 25, 2017
The Rise of Netflix Competitors Has Pushed Consumers Back Toward Piracy
I think the conclusion youre trying to reach isnt supported by the article, as each service is creating its own original exclusive content. Perhaps your conclusion would be true if it was only about hosting content from content providers. For example if viz perhaps decided to only put their shows on netflix instead of on hulu, their own site, among others.

The more services there are the more shows that can be created. We've all seen shows get pulled, cancelled, or passed over by netflix. A single netflix service would mean great shows on other platforms that were passed by netflix would never see the light of day.

In the case of anime, Crunchyroll and other services pass over shows.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest, if you paid only one sub and suddenly part of the catalogue you were used to have available is gone and now you have to pay another sub to watch it, would most people do that? Or will they go and find other ways to watch it without paying a sub?

Sure, monopoly is bad, I will never deny that. But in this case, one service to host most of the movies or shows is a great solution for consumers.
I think people would evaluate the value of the service and where the content landed to make a decision for what they want and want to watch. I dont know if there is really great value in catalogue titles versus new simulcasts. As someone who already had funi, I never watched any of their additions to Crunchyroll. Same as I never saw value in getting VRV, and still dont see value in getting VRV just because hidive is added to it, which on that note I never saw value in hidives limited selection and very few exclusive new shows, again if there are so few exclusives on a service why would I pay for yet another service?

But in this case, one service to host most of the movies or shows is a great solution for consumers.
then why did people cut their cable boxes?

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A myriad of reasons that can't be boiled down to a singular bulletpoint, perhaps?

To expand on that, there are:
  • people who crunched the numbers and found TV was cheaper when you're just paying for all the subscriptions you'd need to view the same content
  • people who crunched the numbers and found TV was cheaper when you bought TV seasons a la carte (eg. iTunes Store, Amazon Video Store, etc.)
  • people who really REALLY hate commercials in their entertainment
  • people using new technological offerings that make piracy more convenient because they clearly don't give a shit
  • people who are so completely pissed at cable providers that they're willing to gamble on a more expensive or complex alternative if it means not giving them one penny more for their garbage service
  • etc. etc. etc.
There's a lot of reasons why, with a lot of different motivators.

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think the conclusion youre trying to reach isnt supported by the article, as each service is creating its own original exclusive content. Perhaps your conclusion would be true if it was only about hosting content from content providers. For example if viz perhaps decided to only put their shows on netflix instead of on hulu, their own site, among others.

The more services there are the more shows that can be created. We've all seen shows get pulled, cancelled, or passed over by netflix. A single netflix service would mean great shows on other platforms that were passed by netflix would never see the light of day.

In the case of anime, Crunchyroll and other services pass over shows.
Not really. The base statistics the article is referencing is showing that bittorrent usage on entertainment is now on an upward trend after several years of downturn. You are also attributing this to original exclusive content, but the article in general is talking about exclusive content in general. Whether through Original Service Content, or License-Based Exclusive content.

Your assumption would also be right if you were talking about North America created content. But it's not. This is Anime. It's produced by a limited number of companies in Japan, companies which are over capacity and completely booked up for several years. These services aren't creating their own content, the most they are doing is buying their way onto the production committees to push their interests. That's why Crunchyroll's Original Show is being made here in America (and why they gained so much flak for it by the broader community)

The entire business is license based, and licenses cost a lot of money. It was better for consumers to have multiple companies working together because through having multiple funds pooled together they were able to get more shows altogether. They shared their content, their licenses and libraries through other common streaming services (like VRV) on top of their own streaming service so there was proper competition going on.

The Crunchyroll/Funimation combo worked together to share their licenses, dub each others content. This meaning more Dubs for Dub fans and more Subs for Sub fans. More of western interests (and content we care about) being produced by having more money to buy their way into production committees. Now we will have none of that and will have to pay for the pleasure to get access to similar amounts of service that we had grown accustomed to and had grown commonplace. a 200% increase in the price the average consumer has to pay just because one company turned its back on the industry in favour of greed.

What Funimation & Sony pulled is anti-consumer. There is no forgiving it. They shouldn't be allowed to be rewarded for their fuckery.

Uh, because it wasn't one service? Because it was split into needless amounts of packages which were basically the same thing as having multiple services? Because the companies were absolute scum and kept on splitting things up and raising the prices? Because they were able to begin getting their stuff online for cheaper, or a'la'carte and as a result they didn't need expensive cable packages?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

The thing is, it's not that people aren't willing to subscribe to more than Netflix, it's that they aren't willing to subscribe to 10 services when 2-3 was giving them all they wanted before. The more these companies splinter off, the quicker this money is going to dry up... especially when they are asking as much as Netflix for 1/10th the amount of content.

Oct 28, 2017
UK list
https://www.funimation.com/blog/2018/11/09/subs-are-back-in-the-uk/
Absolute Duo
Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero
Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy

and you thought there is never a girl online?
Aria the Scarlet Ammo
Assassination Classroom

Attack on Titan Junior High
Baka & Test – Summon the Beasts –
Bamboo Blade
Ben-To
Black Blood Brothers
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Cat Planet Cuties
Cheer Boys!!
Chobits
Claymore
Code: Breaker
Corpse Princess: Shikabane Hime
Coyote Ragtime Show
D.Gray-man

Dagashi Kashi
Dance in the Vampire Bund
Dance with Devils
Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School
Danganronpa: The Animation
Death Parade
Devil May Cry
Dimension W
Divine Gate
Dragonar Academy
Eden of the East
El Cazador de la Bruja
Endride
Eureka Seven AO
Fairy Tail
First Love Monster
Free!
Freezing
Fruits Basket
GANGSTA.
Ghost Hunt
Ghost in the Shell: Arise
Good Luck Girl
Grimgar, Ashes and Illusions
Guilty Crown
Gunslinger Girl
Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino
Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor
Haganai

Handa-kun

Heaven's Lost Property
Heavy Object

Hellsing Ultimate

Hero Tales
Hetalia
High School DxD
Hyouka
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Ikki Tousen
In Search of the Lost Future
Jormungand
Jyu-Oh-Sei
Karneval
Kiddy Grade
Kurau Phantom Memory
Laughing Under the Clouds

Magikano

Master of Martial Hearts
Mikagura School Suite
Moeyo Ken
Mongolian Chop Squad
Moon Phase
Murder Princess
Mushi-Shi
My Bride is a Mermaid
My Hero Academia
Nabari no Ou

Nichijou

Ninja Slayer
Noragami
NO-RIN
Okami-san and Her Seven Companions
OniAi

Ouran High School Host Club

Overlord

Pandora in the Crimson Shell Ghost Urn
Peach Girl
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Planetarian

Prince of Stride: Alternative
Prison School
Project Blue Earth SOS
PSYCHO-PASS

Pumpkin Scissors
Puzzle & Dragons X

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis

Red Garden
Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars
RideBack
Robotics;Notes
Rumbling Hearts
Samurai Warriors
Sands of Destruction
Sankarea
Sasami Magical Girls Club
Save Me! Lollipop

Scar-red Rider Xechs
School Rumble

Sengoku BASARA: Samurai Kings
Senran Kagura

SERVAMP
Shattered Angels
Shigurui: Death Frenzy
Shomin Sample

Shonen Maid
Show by Rock!!
Snow White with the Red Hair

Sky Wizards Academy

Steins;Gate
Strike Witches
Suzuka
Tales of Vesperia
Tenchi Muyo! GXP
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki
Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar
The Devil is a Part-Timer!

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
The Galaxy Railways

The Heroic Legend of Arslan
The Legend of the Legendary Heroes
The Rolling Girls
The Sacred Blacksmith
Three Leaves, Three Colors
Tokyo Majin
UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie
Ultimate Otaku Teacher
Unbreakable Machine Doll
Utawarerumono
We Without Wings

Welcome to the N-H-K
Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei
Yona of the Dawn
Yu Yu Hakusho
Yurikuma Arashi
xxxHolic

I have no idea if all the titles are the same as the list posted earlier; the earlier link is geoblocked.