Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
CR is owned by AT&T? Aren't they shitty on the same level as Comcast?

Blah, probably won't subscribe to them again. :/ don't want to support bad corporations who want to stifle net neutrality and do other crap.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
CR is owned by AT&T? Aren't they shitty on the same level as Comcast?

Blah, probably won't subscribe to them again. :/ don't want to support bad corporations who want to stifle net neutrality and do other crap.
well they also own warner bros and hbo too, so that's a lot of IP to give up.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
well they also own warner bros and hbo too, so that's a lot of IP to give up.
HBO I don't watch much. Game of Thrones more recently (though not past the 5th season) and some of their old series on Blu-ray (The Wire, Sopranos), mostly. Warner Bros. has the occasional decent movie but looking at their upcoming slate, there's not all that many names pop up that are of immediate interest to me in the next year or so. Though half of the movie's are such that I have absolutely no idea what they even are, lol, so the unknowns might hide some gems. I don't have a complete ban on them but anything with the likes of AT&T behind them will be a harder sell. Anime in its current state especially.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Seeing "global" mentioned several times, I hope this means Funimation will soon be available in Asia. I want to watch My Hero Academia and everything else legally. At least seasons 1 to 3 will remiain on Crunchyroll.

Hidive is available here, apparently, which is nice. Except for the part where it only has 6 fucking shows.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Damn RIP

I'll see what the catalog looks like on the 9th, but I'm most likely gonna cancel sadly.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
So no Funimation dubs on Crunchyroll now? Does this affect subbed stuff like Dragonball Super and Tenchi Muyo?

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I'll keep VRV since I watch quite a bit on there but I don't see myself resubbing to Funi again unless they start getting exclusives again. Guess I can cancel my Hidive sub at least since it'll come with VRV now.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know Sony owned Funi now. This sucks because Sony has had an awful track record with disc releases and other shenanigans when it comes to anime.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I'll keep VRV since I watch quite a bit on there but I don't see myself resubbing to Funi again unless they start getting exclusives again. Guess I can cancel my Hidive sub at least since it'll come with VRV now.

The whole point of this split up is that Funimation is going to get exclusives again, with the English sub rights no longer being swapped to Crunchyroll for dub rights on shows they licensed.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Leaving VRV was a huge mistake. VRV offers so much content why would i ever pay for an additional sub for 1-2 shows? Everyone i know is talking about just downloading everything Funi puts out because of this and i don't blame them.

Every single one of my friends that watch MHA will now just pirate it, that and attack on titan is all they watch.
Everyone in my Discord is talking about doing this exact thing.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Back in my day, I had to buy expensive dvds and boxsets to watch an anime that caught my eye, the $5 that Funi asks for is totally acceptable to me. Besides, I only subscribe when MHA is on.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly better for me. I subbed to Funi no matter what for dubbed One Piece and only get Crunchyroll every once in awhile to watch certain stuff, never bothering with VRV because it didn't have dubbed One Piece. I wanted HiDive but they don't have any tv apps which is a deal breaker for me. Now I can just get VRV and Funimation.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
The whole point of this split up is that Funimation is going to get exclusives again, with the English sub rights no longer being swapped to Crunchyroll for dub rights on shows they licensed.

God this fucking sucks. Like I'd ever subscribe to an additional Funimation service when VRV used to provide everything I wanted.

Funimation is making VRV worse and offering nothing in return. Fuck them.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick thing I need to mention: All Toei Animation titles that are up on Crunchyroll, including the ones FUNimation has the license for, will stay. Toei Animation tends to have non-exclusive deals with distributors for their licenses. Dragon Ball Super, in particular, FUNimation doesn't even have the license here in the states. They are just acting as a distributor for Toei Animation (and the dub appears to have been paid for and commissioned by Toei Animation), and Toonami had to get Dragon Ball Super directly from Toei Animation.

So don't worry about Dragon Ball Super.

As for the rest... Honestly, it sounds like Sony put pressure about the whole thing. I'm not totally shocked it happened, but I thought Sony wouldn't interfere, but alas....

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Is there a list of the Funimation shows getting removed?
Both companies are putting a list of shows being impacted by this at a later date. I imagine there is a lot of legal stuff to go through.

Funimation did say that users will have access to "several hundred" subbed shows on November 9th though but lose a handful of dubs. But both services will lose some shows for sure.

Last edited:

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
What does this mean for international people? Will we ever see Dragon Ball Super dub on FunimationNow outside of the US? Or at least ANY Dragon Ball content? It's insane that I pay a yearly subscription to Funimation and still don't have a legal way to watch DBS.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
As for the rest... Honestly, it sounds like Sony put pressure about the whole thing. I'm not totally shocked it happened, but I thought Sony wouldn't interfere, but alas....
If only Sony forced Funimation to release their animes to the rest of the world...

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If only Sony forced Funimation to release their animes to the rest of the world...

This is the worst part. For instance. FUNimation has the Master License World Wide (not sure if it includes Asia, but at least outside of Asia) for My Hero Academia. When it went up on Crunchyroll? Didn't have Latin America. Seems Crunchyroll had to pressure FUNimation to include the Latin American rights for it. This isn't the only title that FUNimation has for Latin America that they aren't streaming or distributing there.

This has been a huge point of contention with the Latin American community for FUNimation titles.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
This is the worst part. For instance. FUNimation has the Master License World Wide (not sure if it includes Asia, but at least outside of Asia) for My Hero Academia. When it went up on Crunchyroll? Didn't have Latin America. Seems Crunchyroll had to pressure FUNimation to include the Latin American rights for it. This isn't the only title that FUNimation has for Latin America that they aren't streaming or distributing there.

This has been a huge point of contention with the Latin American community for FUNimation titles.
On top of that, they block their website to anyone that is outside the US.
For many people, it is either use VPN or pirate their anime. Guess which is the cheaper option.

At least Crunchyroll and Sentai try to get licenses to stream their anime in Latin America. Funimation willingly forces us to use other, not so legal or illegal means, to watch their animes.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Wait I sub to VRV...what am losing? Lots of dubs? Or whole shows like DBS and MHA and Attack on Titan???

The latter might kill a lot for me...

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This does not bother me much. Crunchyroll appears to be keeping subs while Funimation is taking the dubs. This is just like it was before they partnered. It sucks but I only really subbed to Crunchyroll anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
That's it for my Funi sub then. I'm not gonna buy multiple anime streaming subs, so I'll be sticking to the one that's offering two outlets in one package.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This does not bother me much. Crunchyroll appears to be keeping subs while Funimation is taking the dubs. This is just like it was before they partnered. It sucks but I only really subbed to Crunchyroll anyways.

Err... No. A bunch of FUNimation titles are going to be pulled from the service. While not EVERYTHING will be pulled, keep in mind, but I expect most of FUNimation's catalog will be removed. Plus, the FUNimation dubs produced for Crunchyroll will be added to CR's website.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Err... No. A bunch of FUNimation titles are going to be pulled from the service. While not EVERYTHING will be pulled, keep in mind, but I expect most of FUNimation's catalog will be removed. Plus, the FUNimation dubs produced for Crunchyroll will be added to CR's website.
I guess most of the anime I watch on CR are not Funimation related so.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
so what's crunchy losing? AnimeLab in Aus will have a bunch but who knows how much.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Funimation's strengths lie in English language dubs of current shows and their immense back catalog. They have the rights to a great deal of the best anime from the late 90's and 00's.

Crunchyroll's strength is the breadth of licenses of subtitled, first run anime. At one time before other companies started showing up they had the rights to almost every single new title Japan was doing...and they still get the vast majority of it.

HiDives strength is...a couple of can't miss back catalog shows and the things unfortunate enough to be picked up by Sentai, who are awful at dubbing anime. Still there's some great stuff there from the past and present...just not as much.

Crunchyroll right before signing this deal with Funimation had been dubbing only the very biggest shows they got exclusive rights on, so Mob Psycho 100 tier shows. I expect it to go back to that.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Both companies are putting a list of shows being impacted by this at a later date. I imagine there is a lot of legal stuff to go through.

Funimation did say that users will have access to "several hundred" subbed shows on November 9th though but lose a handful of dubs. But both services will lose some shows for sure.

Thanks. If there's anything I've been interested in, it'd be a good time to go through them if I know it's leaving.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Well, it was good while it lasted. Figures that Sony eventually got around to fucking over this deal. Can't make things too pro-consumer afterall. Why don't these fucking corporations realize that all they are doing by forcing multiple services is pushing people to piracy.

I subscribe to Crunchyroll because it has 90% of what I want to watch. I borrow the netflix login from my Mom and get access to the 2 shows a year I care about on there. I have Amazon Prime because it's a damn steal for everything that comes with it, and Prime Video has gotten some good shows the past couple of years.

But Funimation? I don't particularly care for dubs and I don't want to buy a whole subscription to get access to 2-3 shows a year. That's just bullshit.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On top of that, they block their website to anyone that is outside the US.
For many people, it is either use VPN or pirate their anime. Guess which is the cheaper option.

At least Crunchyroll and Sentai try to get licenses to stream their anime in Latin America. Funimation willingly forces us to use other, not so legal or illegal means, to watch their animes.
wounder if they let cr stream mha outside English speaking places.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thank god I don't give a shit about anime dubs

This also affects subs

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...yroll-end-content-sharing-partnership/.138330

Crunchyroll also noted that a number of titles will leave both services, and that the companies will update later on which titles will be impacted.

Update: Funimation confirmed that it will begin regularly offering subtitled simulcasts beginning "as early as" the winter 2019 season. Free users will be able to watch the subtitled versions of several hundred shows, but Funimation will not relaunch its subtitle-only subscription tier.

In addition, Funimation said that it expects several hundred subtitled shows to launch soon on FunimationNow in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. Funimation also hopes to offer its streaming service in non-English languages in the future.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Is JoJo's sticking around? No way I'm getting Funimation's separate service, but Rocko's Modern Life & Freakazoid are almost enough for me to justify keeping VRV, even though I just got it for MHA & DBS. Being able to stay caught up with Part 5 could be a make or break deal for VRV & VRV alone.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm subbed to funimation for one piece dub but damn they need to make it sleeker. The VRV app is the best especially on ps4

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is JoJo's sticking around? No way I'm getting Funimation's separate service, but Rocko's Modern Life & Freakazoid are almost enough for me to justify keeping VRV, even though I just got it for MHA & DBS. Being able to stay caught up with Part 5 could be a make or break deal for VRV & VRV alone.
I don't think Funi was ever involved with Jojo

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm gonna have to ask for a new anime streaming guide or something.

I never got into CR and Funi in the first place. Right now I have access to Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon and that's honestly enough for me right now. I'm not one of those people who keeps up with all the first run anime to simulcast, and I'm not gonna die without dubs. I watched Devilman when that came out and am gonna watch Vinland Saga when it hits Amazon next year, but that's it as far as new current anime goes. Otherwise pretty much my whole forecast for probably the rest of the year is back catalog stuff. I guess I should ask if anything is leaving Hulu.

Still kinda mad HiDive is holding onto LOGH and Votoms though. Really just because I can't buy them on DVD. Can't they at least sell them on digital stores?