dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
1.9 was also first one to have temporal component.
And is likely a solid comparison point for a non-AI FSR 2.0 against DLSS 2.x.
DLSS 1.9 was TAAU without AI. The improvements which AI based DLSS 2.x made since then were obvious.

A free open source TAAU implementation will be much better than FSR 1.0 though, that's for sure.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
If this is real it's going to be a godsend for handhelds like Steam Deck, Ayaneo Next etc. These will suddenly be 60fps beasts in GPU limited games. 🙇‍🙏 Pls be real!

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
2nd time is a charm I guess, from the times I have used the old FSR it hasn't been great and I've always gone back to DLSS.

I hope they surprise me with the new implimentation.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
If this is real it's going to be a godsend for handhelds like Steam Deck, Ayaneo Next etc. These will suddenly be 60fps beasts in GPU limited games. 🙇‍🙏 Pls be real!
Only for stuff that implements it. Which if it needs motion vectors, will probably only be ones that would do dlss too. Or ones that were going to do dlss, before being sponsored by amd, and this are prevented from using it

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Since GPU prices are still way out there maybe this could help my 980Ti hang on just a little longer?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
DLSS 1.9 was not temporal, also it had AI but was adapted to run on CUDA cores. Temporal data wasn't used until DLSS 2.0.
It was TAAU without any real time AI - they've used some results of NNs being developed for 2.x to adjust the algorithmic parameters in 1.9 but it was still very much "static" shader code capable of running on any GPU.
Also temporal data was always used in DLSS, 1.0 including. The approach on how that data is being used has changed between 1.0 and 1.9/2x though. 1.0 upscaling was very much spatial, with temporal data used for AA only IIRC.

OP
OP
V3N1X

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
No.
DLSS 1.9 as shown in control was just TAAU. No AI at all. It had Temporal disocclusion aretfacts, temporal blur issues, etc.

I wonder if DF is working on a TSR vs DLSS comparison, would love to see how they compare from the eyes of people who can spot even the slightest differences.

Someone already made a comparison using the Valley of the Ancients demo (using Nvidia's DLSS Unreal Plugin), but still... I'd love that DF goodness :-)

Edit: also, this was before Epic introduced the r.Nanite.ViewMeshLODBias.Enable/r.Nanite.ViewMeshLODBias.Offset/r.Nanite.ViewMeshLODBias.Min settings to handle negative bias for rasterized Nanite meshes while using TSR.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
No.
DLSS 1.9 as shown in control was just TAAU. No AI at all. It had Temporal disocclusion aretfacts, temporal blur issues, etc.
It was TAAU without any real time AI - they've used some results of NNs being developed for 2.x to adjust the algorithmic parameters in 1.9 but it was still very much "static" shader code capable of running on any GPU.
Also temporal data was always used in DLSS, 1.0 including. The approach on how that data is being used has changed between 1.0 and 1.9/2x though. 1.0 upscaling was very much spatial, with temporal data used for AA only IIRC.
Oh my apologies, I had misread what the difference in versions were.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
So yeah.. it won't be at a driver level because it's basically impossible with temporal data.

And devs who will support fsr2.0 will support dlss anyway since both need motion vector Im assuming

I guess its a good open source tool for taau for devs who are not using ue4/5?

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
So yeah.. it won't be at a driver level because it's basically impossible with temporal data.

And devs who will support fsr2.0 will support dlss anyway since both need motion vector Im assuming

It's also amazing for those that don't have an rtx card.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017

It may be that supporting DLSS alongside this would be pointless as it will provide a "good enough" quality on the same h/w.

I have my doubts though. Chances are that DLSS will remain much better in IQ even compared to FSR 2.0. And in this case, yeah, DLSS will basically need the same data to work so implementing it alongside FSR 2.0 should be a no brainer. Unless AMD will be blocking this again.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for anything that further extends the usefulness of my 1080Ti, so bring it on. I really disliked the original FSR though, so we'll just have to see how this goes.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Really hope the visual output is good, that Deathloop example is awesome. I hope "Performance" mode is good enough from regular TV sitting distance.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
videocardz.com

AMD FSR 2.0 'next-level temporal upscaling' officially launches Q2 2022, RSR launches March 17th - VideoCardz.com

Confirmed: AMD FSR 2.0 will be presented at GDC 2022 Next-gen FSR deliver higher image quality than 1.0. The information in this post is based on official slides, hence we will only report on what is confirmed thus far. AMD is announcing its FSR 2.0 technology on March 17th. This announcement...
Nice, looking foward to it.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017

DP4A instructions are what Intel's XeSS will use on non-Intel GPUs... FSR 2.0 is looking more exiting.

We've actually seen xess though, so surely it's more exciting than just rumors. And tbh, Intel has probably earned more benefit of the doubt than amd, after all the hype around fsr 1

OP
OP
V3N1X

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
We've actually seen xess though, so surely it's more exciting than just rumors. And tbh, Intel has probably earned more benefit of the doubt than amd, after all the hype around fsr 1

Agreed, but most of that hype was user-generated though. I'm just curious to see if FSR 2.0 has an ML side to it... hence the performance cost compared to FSR 1.0 according to the leaks which was a pure compute shader.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
going in with low expectations, AMD has never impressed me on the software side compared to NVIDIA.

krs

Oct 25, 2017
Only for stuff that implements it. Which if it needs motion vectors, will probably only be ones that would do dlss too. Or ones that were going to do dlss, before being sponsored by amd, and this are prevented from using it
For the steam deck specifically, if one can install Proton GE (at least I don't think it works on Valve's Proton) it's possible to force FSR to be enabled in any title, using a simple environment variable. Although it will then of course upscale the UI etc as well.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
videocardz.com

AMD FSR 2.0 'next-level temporal upscaling' officially launches Q2 2022, RSR launches March 17th - VideoCardz.com

Confirmed: AMD FSR 2.0 will be presented at GDC 2022 Next-gen FSR deliver higher image quality than 1.0. The information in this post is based on official slides, hence we will only report on what is confirmed thus far. AMD is announcing its FSR 2.0 technology on March 17th. This announcement...
Deathloop
AMD-FSR2-Demo.jpg

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Really hope we are able to get more 4K60 RT modes on consoles.
I'd even be happy with 1440p60 RT modes across the board depending on how well FSR 2.0 is compared to 1.0. But it seems like my 5700 XT can live on a bit longer if this is a good bump up as finding a new GPU is still a pain.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Definitely interesting claims, but I'll believe it when I see it. Still wondering how FSR is ever going to be better than the great examples of TAA upscaling that we already have in so many games.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Definitely interesting claims, but I'll believe it when I see it. Still wondering how FSR is ever going to be better than the great examples of TAA upscaling that we already have in so many games.
I doubt itll be as good as say, Insomniac's custom solution but the benefit is it being free to use by anyone on basically any hardware, so games that dont use it (cough Dying Light 2) could potentially implement it relatively easily.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Can you give some examples, this is a legit question, i play on PC, can you point me the games that have FSR availble but also have another upscalling option(outside of DLSS) which i can use that is better than FSR on Ultra Quality considering the performance gains?

Or are people talking about console space only with in-house solutions tied to an specific engine or game?

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
Can you give some examples, this is a legit question, i play on PC, can you point me the games that have FSR availble but also have another upscalling option(outside of DLSS) which i can use that is better than FSR on Ultra Quality considering the performance gains?

Or are people talking about console space only with in-house solutions tied to an specific engine or game?
Yeah, compared to consoles. Most of the engine specific upscalers, even just checkboarding on many playstation titles, are much less blurry than FSR. Much less something like UE's TSR. FSR is just the lancoz upscaler that has been available for years on a driver level, combined with the FidelityFX sharpening filter, which you can basically do with a reshade filter. THe only real improvement it brought is that games that actually specifically impliment it can render the UI natively.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018

It's true what you say, that there are few games where we can make apples to apples comparisons, and that many of the games I was thinking of use in-house tech (Ubisoft games come to mind as an example that's available on PC). Pretty sure UE5 has good upsampling as well.

If FSR becomes very easy to implement there could definitely be a benefit from that point of view.

OP
OP
V3N1X

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
It's true what you say, that there are few games where we can make apples to apples comparisons, and that many of the games I was thinking of use in-house tech (Ubisoft games come to mind as an example that's available on PC). Pretty sure UE5 has good upsampling as well.

If FSR becomes very easy to implement there could definitely be a benefit from that point of view.

Do people generally like Ubisoft's up-sampling technique? I was at a friend's place recently and he was playing Valhalla at 4K output with ~70% scaling and I found it really bad.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Do people generally like Ubisoft's up-sampling technique? I was at a friend's place recently and he was playing Valhalla at 4K output with ~70% scaling and I found it really bad.

I haven't fiddled with the resolution scaling setting, but one thing that I think most people don't know about Valhalla specifically is that the AA settings actually controls the render resolution as well. Any AA setting below max is actually rendering sub-natively, and to my eyes on a 4K TV it's nearly perfect.