• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt

In case you guys don't know, CapFrameX makes a really awesome tool for benchmarking PC games which you can check at https://www.capframex.com/, so he probably got a behind closed doors early look.

This is tagged as a rumour for now because no other sources verified this, but AMD does have a talk scheduled at GDC later this month discussing next-gen upscaling technology so maybe it'll be announced there.

Edit: now official, thanks P40L0

And Deathloop demo with FSR 2.0, thanks Stacey

Last edited:

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Will this work on most games like the current version does or will it require dev implementation?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will be huge if the claims are true. Big if though. FSR 1.0 pretty much sucks.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Got to see it to believe it. FSR 1.0 kinda uh... well it sucks.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully it delivers. as much as i love DLSS, we only have to gain by having companies compete with solutions.

OP
OP
V3N1X

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
hopefully it delivers. as much as i love DLSS, we only have to gain by having companies compete with solutions.

Agreed, I have a 3070 and I absolutely love DLSS... but I'd love a non-proprietary solution so adoption becomes easier, everyone including the devs working on games would stand to benefit.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I hope it comes to Farcry 6 since it doesn't have DLSS so I have to use FSR. Anything with an improvement will be nice, hope they get it pretty close to DLSS with this.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Makes me excited for my Steam Deck. I know the CPU is limited but I won't have to worry too much about being GPU performance limited on games for a longer while.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
Cautiously optimistic. It won't be as good as DLSS without AI, but that's okay. It's great to have another option, especially on console.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, temporal upscale is what was missing from first FSR!
Steam Deck will become even more impressive with this, and new consoles could also take advantage of it....

Naughty Dog will still stick to native 1440p :(

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
DLSS will still crush it most likely, but my future Steam Deck just perked up.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully it's true, it would be great news for Steam Deck and everyone with no access to DLSS.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
if this is as good as TAAU on unreal engine 5, then awesome. temporal means dev has to intergrade it into their engine.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Would be cool if the industry at least standardized on the datasets sent to these rendering tools. Essentially define an actual API (just the interface) and then let different SDKs be used for the output behind the scenes.

Temporal data + data about what makes up the UI (my understanding is all good "non driver level" upscalers ignore the UI elements)

Then let FSR do it's non-AI thing and DLSS do it's AI-thing w/ the same temporal + UI data.

Like a DX12 extension or something. Or maybe by DX13 they can come up with that and agree upon the dataset format.

OP
OP
V3N1X

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
burned once, kind of not too hopeful

It can't be worse than FSR 1.0, just by virtue of being a temporal solution that requires access to motion vectors... it'll be better for sure, much better I'd say.

UE5's TSR is already production IQ close to DLSS without any ML inference involved, if AMD can do that it'd be a godsend even for RTX cards owners just because it'd drive adoption by devs.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
How would this be any better than existing temporal upscaling, that is a standard feature of UE4/5? The problem with temporal upscaling is it looks great when still, but anything moving, or you moving, and the illusion falls apart. Maybe not so noticeable on low response displays like LCD, but definitely obvious on OLED.

OP
OP
V3N1X

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
How would this be any better than existing temporal upscaling, that is a standard feature of UE4/5? The problem with temporal upscaling is it looks great when still, but anything moving, or you moving, and the illusion falls apart. Maybe not so noticeable on low response displays like LCD, but definitely obvious on OLED.

Here's a 1440p video of the Valley of the Ancients demo on UE5 comparing TAAU and TSR

TSR does so much better at stabilizing the image while in motion as well as treating any artifacts like flickering... etc. Algorithms can always improve.

Edit: changed to YouTube link, worse quality overall but has chapters so people would know which upscaling method they're looking at.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
temporal means dev has to intergrade it into their engine.

Strictly speaking, "temporal" only means that it incorporates data from before the current frame. In theory you could make a temporal algorithm at the driver level without any engine integration. It really depends on what specific data you are using.

It's true that several current temporal algorithms rely on engine integration because they use motion vectors, but that is not the only possibility.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think you're joking, but Switch uses an nVidia GPU and a Switch 2 would use DLSS, not FSR.

Half-joking. FSR is listed in the EULA for Switch Sports. Switch Sports 2 will most likely be cross-gen so it's not entirely out of the question to have it use FSR 2.0 for the OG Switch and DLSS for Switch 2, probably overkill though.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I think you're joking, but Switch uses an nVidia GPU and a Switch 2 would use DLSS, not FSR.

He's not joking but I don't see it ending up in that specific switch game unless nintendo has been working with amd the last few months to integrate FSR to that level. As far we know switch only supports 1.0 so far.

It's also up to a dev what to use and what forms of this tech to support doesn't always have to be 1 method.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Motion vectors will most likely be required, so it's up to devs to implement it in their games/engines.... probably not gonna end up as a driver level feature.
that's what trips me up though. what makes this better than most dev's or Epic's implementation? guess that's what the talk is for

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Cautiously optimistic. It won't be as good as DLSS without AI, but that's okay. It's great to have another option, especially on console.

Unless devs don't want to bother with implementing both, and just go for the more widely-used but crappier option.

What we really need is for AMD to bring AI hardware/tensor cores to RDNA4 and essentially copy DLSS. Not only would that make their cards better, imagine the potential for cost-effective mid-gen consoles. They could very well go with only minimal increases to raw power if they also had much better RT hardware and a DLSS-like on every updated game.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Awesome. Really hope its good and we see it on more games (on consoles) than we saw FSR. However, I still hope we see XeSS a lot as well.