Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it's sexist. Gotta call it what it is. There is no middle ground on this one. It's why that guy in the last thread got banned for making that claim.
I agree to disagree then, because i fail to see how criticizing a character regardless of gender is sexist. A fictional character is made up i dont think it has anything to do with gender.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I'm still amazed that this rant came from the actor who portraed a primary example of "Jedi training that develops a character growing more powerful in a way that feels earned"

But Ezra was already using the force. He even dogdes TIE FIGHTER SHOTS.

Rey uses the force, but in no way is a good "JEDI" fighter yet. If you actually pay attention to the fightstyle in TFA and TLJ, in TFA she's just waving the lightsaber in anger, while Kylo just blocks her with no intention of taking her down.In TLJ she's constantly being hurt by the royal guards and just keeps going because she knows how to defend herself.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree to disagree then, because i fail to see how criticizing a character regardless of gender is sexist. A fictional character is made up i dont think it has anything to do with gender.

because the very same criticisms can be applied to the other two male protagonists of the saga but somehow, they aren't because of reasons.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, that was cringe. "Will of the force" junk is as bad as midichlorians. It robs everyone of agency.

And the whole "you don't level up" is such a stupid meaningless semantics argument. Why train at all then?

And this "the Emperor is so smart he knows if he kills Anakin the force will just correct that therefore he seduces Anakin to double the strength of the dark side and therefore the force corrects that by making twins" stuff is just really really really dumb. And its SUPER dumb to rattle that off and then talk about Sisyphus a moment later. What's the point of any of this if the force is just going to always course correct and balance stuff out.

Also angry old man yelling about other angry old men complaining about kid's stuff is not a good look.

So dumb.

This is super dumb. Why doesn't Yoda push the Death Star into the sun? Why doesn't he turn Darth Vader into flower petals. Why did he loose to the Emperor? Why does he need Luke? Does he just not believe?

As cool as his message to Luke is about size matters not and all, common sense has to play a role. "Strong with the force am I. But not that strong."

And yet we see every Jedi train. And learn. And become stronger over time. Etc, etc, etc. "Powerful Jedi..." "Is the dark side stronger..." blah blah blah. Again its just a dumb semantics debate. The "this isn't a video game" stuff is so silly.
its just a dumb semantics debate.
Goddamn this entire post could literally just be summed up as "Things I disagree with are dumb"

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i dont think that anyone who agrees with freddie belives, that jedi only need to BELIEVE to achieve things, it is obvious even in real life, that even if you have the knowledge to do things you need the capabilities.

it is not like just wishing to be fit, and being fit immedietaly thanks to the force.

of course you need training to be able to channel the force as you will.

in retrospective, the thing is like Deku on my hero academia

he has the quirk, but his body simply cant sustain it, thats why he needs to train

Nah Freddy says that training really means fuck all. "Luke's skill doesn't dictate who wins or loses. The force dictates who wins or loses based on balance."

People have been weaponizing sexism accusations to defend a movie for years on this forum. Thankfully a good number of them have been banned. It's repulsive but you'll get used to it.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You shift the goal posts but suggest that it's intellectually dishonest to say that Fate has been an inherent content since Star Wars creation, even when I've shown the evidence as such?

Couldn't it more simply be the case that you've placed more emphasis on characters dialogue about choice than you have the greater overarching theme of the Force's influence and control over the events of the Universe? That you're citing characters using colloquialisms as having more relevance than the many plot occurrences that have shown otherwise?

Nah. Leia making a statement to stop others from arguing with Han to change his mind is clearly meta commentary that ultimately the entire Star Wars IP is about choice. Palpatine, whose entire character is based around being a lying, deceitful manipulator, clearly demonstrates his knowledge of the inner workings of the Universe when he shouts at a troubled, conflicted youth, "you must choose!" to get him to kill someone to cement his control over that youth. /s

Ben Kenobi: Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him.

Luke Skywalker: You mean it controls your actions?

Kenobi: Partially, but it also obeys your commands.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
But Ezra was already using the force. He even dogdes TIE FIGHTER SHOTS.

Rey uses the force, but in no way is a good "JEDI" fighter yet. If you actually pay attention to the fightstyle in TFA and TLJ, in TFA she's just waving the lightsaber in anger, while Kylo just blocks her with no intention of taking her down.In TLJ she's constantly being hurt by the royal guards and just keeps going because she knows how to defend herself.

She keeps succeeding and succeeding despite that, to the point of ridicule.

Her having the force like Ezrais not the problem. Had Ezra taken on Vader on season with any other result than this:

Then he would be a problem too

Dec 1, 2017
I don't know man; fan rants about how misunderstood the new star wars movies are always seem to miss the point IMO. I think the people who dislike the new movies dislike them because they're HD remakes of the old trilogy, which immediately makes them less interesting and exciting, and the main characters are just not very likeable, interesting, or memorable.

Boyega is embarrassing to watch on screen almost 100% of the time. He is completely unsympathetic, annoying, and unlikeable; 50% of which is due to his terrible performance, and 50% is due to how poorly the character was written. Daisy Ridley does not have the charisma, personality, charm, etc. to drive the leading role in a Star Wars film, and is somewhat boring to watch. Oscar Issaac, the best actor of the three, was given a very one-note, one dimensional character to play, and still manages to steal every scene he's in. Unfortunately, his character doesn't really have much of a story to speak of.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know man; fan rants about how misunderstood the new star wars movies are always seem to miss the point IMO. I think the people who dislike the new movies dislike them because they're HD remakes of the old trilogy, which immediately makes them less interesting and exciting, and the main characters are just not very likeable, interesting, or memorable.

Boyega is embarrassing to watch on screen almost 100% of the time. He is completely unsympathetic, annoying, and unlikeable; 50% of which is due to his terrible performance, and 50% is due to how poorly the character was written. Daisy Ridley does not have the charisma, personality, charm, etc. to drive the leading role in a Star Wars film, and is somewhat boring to watch. Oscar Issaac, the best actor of the three, was given a very one-note, one dimensional character to play, and still manages to steal every scene he's in. Unfortunately, his character doesn't really have much of a story to speak of.

now this is a HOT take...

god damn.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
LITERALLY all Rey has done is a mind trick, which she failed to do twice, and moving things, mainly a lightsaber, you know that ultra light weight thing, with the force.
Oh yeah except for lifting up like a couple hundred giant rocks/boulders at once with little to no effort or strain on her part.

I'm going to quote myself here rather than write the same thing again.

Ok but that doesn't make any real sense if belief is really the key to power in the force. Like why not paint or meditate or swim or indeed jog - because if belief and confidence are the keys to actual power it makes way more sense to focus more on actually manipulating the force instead of practicing any swordplay ever.
Also - describing the monks that the jedi are base on as only learning martial arts to focus their minds is super off base. Many monks were military before they joined and they were practicing boxing and wrestling for yeeeears before they started formally training in a more regimented martial art. They held vast lands and income from said land ownership. They learned how to fight to protect themselves and their interests.

Just like the Jedi.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah this is a weird take because it's not like there's a lot of art house film acting in any Star Wars movie.

Objectively, Daisy Ridley has done a far better job than either Mark Hamil or Hayden Christiansen - which weren't high bars to overcome.

Really, the charm and chemistry of Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford in the OT is more of an outlier in all of Star Wars than anything else.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same poster who asks people to raise the discourse in SW threads ha

Anything you have issue with? I think my complaints with the vid are clear but I can expound on whatever you don't get.

Do you like the idea of midichlorians?

Do you like the will of the force being an all controlling god like entity playing a game against itself and we're just watching the characters go through the motions?

Do you believe there's no such thing as power levels even though there's multiple examples of people talking about different peoples power and shots of Jedis training to improve, etc?

Do you think it'd be fine to see Yoda push the Death Star into a sun because he knows size is only in your mind?

And do you really think the emperor was so smart that he somehow knew that killing Anakin would bring the wrath of the force so he drew him to his side only to somehow not understand that the force would obviously make twin good guys to fight him?

Oct 28, 2017
Anything you have issue with? I think my complaints with the vid are clear but I can expound on whatever you don't get.

Do you like the idea of midichlorians?

Do you like the will of the force being an all controlling god like entity playing a game against itself and we're just watching the characters go through the motions?

Do you believe there's no such thing as power levels even though there's multiple examples of people talking about different peoples power and shots of Jedis training to improve, etc?

Do you think it'd be fine to see Yoda push the Death Star into a sun because he knows size is only in your mind?

And do you really think the emperor was so smart that he somehow knew that killing Anakin would bring the wrath of the force so he drew him to his side only to somehow not understand that the force would obviously make twin good guys to fight him?
This is between you and the other guy lol

I just think it's funny that you've complained in the past about people who disagree with you being uncivil and yet here you are calling someone else's ideas dumb.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On this damn mess, Freddie must be the last person on the planet to try to convince someone else with his own Star Wars shit. He's have zero influence on people with problems about the new trilogy. If he had a personal attack from a bunch of fucking nerds, he's only right for all his words about them.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
She keeps succeeding and succeeding despite that, to the point of ridicule.

Her having the force like Ezrais not the problem. Had Ezra taken on Vader on season with any other result than this:

Then he would be a problem too

Well...

For one, Ezra is not meant to be the main protagonist of the mainline new series. For seconds, Kylo doesn't try to kill her AND he's severely wounded. He also was able to paralize her, knocer her unconscious using the force, and only got resisted of the mind reading because she's strong with the force.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Prophecy was used in the second draft of the first script. So even by your extremely narrow standards, it fits. But now you want to move the goal posts to "has to be mentioned in the OT." All of Star Wars media shows that while the Jedi themselves make mistakes, their interpretation of the Force is accurate. That the Force is in all things. That it seeks to find balance. The prophecies have all been shown to be true, even if the characters don't understand them clearly. Likewise it's always shown the Sith interpretation of the Force is inaccurate. That anger and selfishness makes one more powerful in the Force. That the strongest must rule. Sith prophecies have always been shown to be wrong.
LOL I like how you respond to being intellectually dishonest with "it was mentioned in a draft so it's in the OT", holy shit. This is absurd. If it's not in the actual script, it's not in the movie.

The Jedi weren't even sure what their "prophecy" actually meant. They thought it was Anakin Skywalker, then Yoda says that it could have been misread. It's very possible that the Jedi were wrong about some magical person coming in to save the day, since they were already wrong once before. I think TROS is going to greatly expand on this.
You shift the goal posts but suggest that it's intellectually dishonest to say that Fate has been an inherent content since Star Wars creation, even when I've shown the evidence as such?

Couldn't it more simply be the case that you've placed more emphasis on characters dialogue about choice than you have the greater overarching theme of the Force's influence and control over the events of the Universe? That you're citing characters using colloquialisms as having more relevance than the many plot occurrences that have shown otherwise?

Nah. Leia making a statement to stop others from arguing with Han to change his mind is clearly meta commentary that ultimately the entire Star Wars IP is about choice. Palpatine, whose entire character is based around being a lying, deceitful manipulator, clearly demonstrates his knowledge of the inner workings of the Universe when he shouts at a troubled, conflicted youth, "you must choose!" to get him to kill someone to cement his control over that youth. /s
No one shifted goalposts. I asked you to provide an in film, canon explanation in which states your claim, that choice isn't real and that the will of the Force decides everything.

You won't find it, because it simply doesn't exist. The fact that you had to dip into rough drafts to strengthen your argument only reflects this.

It's not just the dialogue that emphasizes the importance of choice, but the way the films are directed. For example, the constant shots of Vader staring at Luke while he's being tortured to death by the emperor, conveying the conflict within.. The transformation from Vader back to Anakin Skywalker.

But that's all just totally the will of the Force changing his mind, right? The director totally wasn't trying to convey the shift in character, and Luke definitely didn't directly reference the struggle he sensed in his father before he saved the day by choosing to end the emperor's reign.

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of where you stand with the lore, we can all agree that Ahsoka is the best. Right friends?

ahsoka_the_white_sw.jpg

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL I like how you respond to being intellectually dishonest with "it was mentioned in a draft so it's in the OT", holy shit. This is absurd. If it's not in the actual script, it's not in the movie.

The Jedi weren't even sure what their "prophecy" actually meant. They thought it was Anakin Skywalker, then Yoda says that it could have been misread. It's very possible that the Jedi were wrong about some magical person coming in to save the day, since they were already wrong once before. I think TROS is going to greatly expand on this.

No one shifted goalposts. I asked you to provide an in film, canon explanation in which states your claim, that choice isn't real and that the will of the Force decides everything.

You won't find it, because it simply doesn't exist. The fact that you had to dip into rough drafts to strengthen your argument only reflects this.

It's not just the dialogue that emphasizes the importance of choice, but the way the films are directed. For example, the constant shots of Vader staring at Luke while he's being tortured to death by the emperor, conveying the conflict within.. The transformation from Vader back to Anakin Skywalker.

But that's all just totally the will of the Force changing his mind, right? The director totally wasn't trying to convey the shift in character, and Luke definitely didn't directly reference the struggle he sensed in his father before he saved the day by choosing to end the emperor's reign.

It also doesn't make sense as to how the force having Vader turn to the light and killing the emperor brings balance if balance is this rigid 1:1 light/dark idea.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Ben Kenobi: Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him.

Luke Skywalker: You mean it controls your actions?

Kenobi: Partially, but it also obeys your commands.

This is cyclical. Fate determining all things means that all things are predetermined. If you wanted to break it down to the smallest levels like this, then it would still mean that any any action that anyone takes is predetermined. Which would mean that any choice made was always going to be made anyways. So the Force obeying a command would not actually be the Force obeying a command but would still seem like it to those wielding the Force.

What you're missing is that the illusion of choice means that beings that follow the path of faith do not necessarily know they're following a path. They think they're making their own choices even if those choices are predetermined. Jedi are not all knowing. They're human. Fallible. So they can misunderstand or just plainly not know the will of the Force fully. After all the Force is a greater being determining their fate.

This is why Fate is a philosophical idea. It can't be proven or disproven. Because the idea itself necessitates that beings under the control of Fate would have no way to know that. So Kenobi wouldn't know if the Force was determining everything, some things, or nothing. But regardless of the truth, he'll make the choices that he thinks is best and the results will be what they are. Because if Fate exists, it was going to happen anyways and if it doesn't then his choice matters. But he can't prove it either way.

Which is why, when Fate is concerned, the opinions and ideas of characters within the fiction about their own agency mean nothing unless the fiction specifically has that character be informed directly by a greater supernatural power. That doesn't happen in Star Wars. So quoting lines from normal beings about "choose this" or "you can control that" don't refute the existence of Fate.

Ok but that doesn't make any real sense if belief is really the key to power in the force. Like why not paint or meditate or swim or indeed jog - because if belief and confidence are the keys to actual power it makes way more sense to focus more on actually manipulating the force instead of practicing any swordplay ever.
Also - describing the monks that the jedi are base on as only learning martial arts to focus their minds is super off base. Many monks were military before they joined and they were practicing boxing and wrestling for yeeeears before they started formally training in a more regimented martial art. They held vast lands and income from said land ownership. They learned how to fight to protect themselves and their interests.

Just like the Jedi.

Nobody is saying belief is the key to power. The idea that was put forth was that Power is predetermined and belief is the key to execution. Force Users have the power always but can only use it once they have the right beliefs. I'm personally not fond of using the word "belief" but it essentially stands for "having the right state of mind," in the context that it's being used, so it's fine.

And you're talking about the origin of the Monks. I'm talking about Monks as they have existed at the time Lucas started writing his scripts. So it's not about the historical origins of Monks as much as it's about how the Monks were known in the 70's. Which is a far cry from their origins.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is cyclical. Fate determining all things means that all things are predetermined. If you wanted to break it down to the smallest levels like this, then it would still mean that any any action that anyone takes is predetermined. Which would mean that any choice made was always going to be made anyways. So the Force obeying a command would not actually be the Force obeying a command but would still seem like it to those wielding the Force.

What you're missing is that the illusion of choice means that beings that follow the path of faith do not necessarily know they're following a path. They think they're making their own choices even if those choices are predetermined. Jedi are not all knowing. They're human. Fallible. So they can misunderstand or just plainly not know the will of the Force fully. After all the Force is a greater being determining their fate.

This is why Fate is a philosophical idea. It can't be proven or disproven. Because the idea itself necessitates that beings under the control of Fate would have no way to know that. So Kenobi wouldn't know if the Force was determining everything, some things, or nothing. But regardless of the truth, he'll make the choices that he thinks is best and the results will be what they are. Because if Fate exists, it was going to happen anyways and if it doesn't then his choice matters. But he can't prove it either way.

Which is why, when Fate is concerned, the opinions and ideas of characters within the fiction about their own agency mean nothing unless the fiction specifically has that character be informed directly by a greater supernatural power. That doesn't happen in Star Wars. So quoting lines from normal beings about "choose this" or "you can control that" don't refute the existence of Fate.

Nobody is saying belief is the key to power. The idea that was put forth was that Power is predetermined and belief is the key to execution. Force Users have the power always but can only use it once they have the right beliefs. I'm personally not fond of using the word "belief" but it essentially stands for "having the right state of mind," in the context that it's being used, so it's fine.

And you're talking about the origin of the Monks. I'm talking about Monks as they have existed at the time Lucas started writing his scripts. So it's not about the historical origins of Monks as much as it's about how the Monks were known in the 70's. Which is a far cry from their origins.
The mental gymnastics here are a sight to behold.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lmao idgaf how strong anyone is but the "will of the force" sounds like a bullshit excuse you could use for literally anything.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lmao idgaf how strong anyone is but the "will of the force" sounds like a bullshit excuse you could use for literally anything.
This shit is not even in the films. People jumping to "the Force controls everything and everyone, free choice doesn't exist" because the Jedi believed in a prophecy are completely off base.

It contradicts what we see during the characters' most defining moments.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017

Addressing your first point:
It may not be explicitly "better state of mind" = More power but it does imply pretty directly that studying and having your head in the right place is essential to reaching your potential. Fair enough. But now we have to talk about potential and then we start down the road to midichlorians and once you do that we are FIRMLY in the land of power levels. How much Ki does your blood have? How forcey is your body? Oh you lost a limb? That's 5.7% of your force juice down the drain.
It's a very weird place that SW has uniquely shoved itself into. It wants the esoteric and deep meaningful meditative angle of these warrior monks who practice and refine themselves through entire lives dedicated to the arts of battle but then also says "without any of that at all - someone can watch someone use force powers and if they are desperate enough, mimic said power perfectly"
It's not a fault in Rey's character. I think it's more of a fault in how they have presented the force over the years.

To you 2nd point:
fair enough i suppose. Although i think it's kind of weird to say "i'm basing my space warrior monks off real life warrior monks" and when someone says "oh you mean these real examples of actual warriors who are also monks who had to defend themselves and their institutions against often times corrupt and greedy government interference?" the answer is "Nah dog i meant like David Carradine in Kung Fu!"
like.... ok? LoL

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Well...

For one, Ezra is not meant to be the main protagonist of the mainline new series. For seconds, Kylo doesn't try to kill her AND he's severely wounded. He also was able to paralize her, knocer her unconscious using the force, and only got resisted of the mind reading because she's strong with the force.

The fight against the red guards in TLJ tells me that Rey and Ben are on par with each other in combat skills.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So just so I'm clear. In the first Star Wars film, you think the author wrote Obi Wan, the mentor and most knowledgeable authority on the force that we knew, as being ignorant of the force while he's describing it to the audience?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

The TLJ Visual Dictionary confirmed that Anakin is the Chosen One.

"Snoke is powerful in the dark side of the Force, but he is not Sith," writes the Dictionary. "That thousand-year lineage stretching from Darth Bane to the last Sith Lord, Darth Vader, was undone when Vader died destroying his mentor, Darth Sidious. The fulfillment of an ancient prophecy foretold the end of the Sith, but it never predicted the end of darkness."

TCW and George Lucas' comments also say that Anakin is the Chosen One.

Just saying.

Oct 27, 2017
She's beaten multiple trained fighters in fights. Despite it looking like she's just waving it around and despite the contrast between her fighting style and Kylo's during the throne room fight, the movie is implying she's a good fighter whether it looks that way or not

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fight against the red guards in TLJ tells me that Rey and Ben are on par with each other in combat skills.
I thought it was clear since TFA. If anything Rey is a bit stronger. But its really the writers fault here. They have been really poor to explain why is Rey Is so strong. In the deleted scene of TLJ it is shown rey knows how to force speed. Knowing mind trick, winning mental battles with kylo, saving kylo against the empire guards. Also their tug of war scene kind of solidifies she is on par with kylo if not stronger. Which is kind of unbelievable as someone with no training be on par with someone trained in force for years. Its like me going up against lebron and beating him because i am talented. Pretty dumb. Same applies for Poes gary stu flying skill. But they say hes the best so i kind of buy it and he has years of military training.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Goal Posts...
Ok, now show me where any of is defined in the script of the films. That choice doesn't exist and that everything is predetermined. I'll wait

Because, apparently, according to you, all of the above is explained in the films.

Shifted...
So you're using Jedi beliefs about a prophecy as a canon explanation to claim that choice is irrelevant in Star Wars? A prophecy in which wasn't even mentioned in the original trilogy?

Repeatedly...
I asked you to provide an in film, canon explanation in which states your claim, that choice isn't real and that the will of the Force decides everything.

It doesn't matter if the Jedi understood the prophecy, what matters is that the prophecy was fulfilled. And it's been stated, by creators, that the prophecy was real, it was about Anakin, the Jedi interpreted incorrectly, but it was still fulfilled. And you know this to be fact. Which is why you're sitting here trying to craft ridiculously strict criteria to try to prove that something you don't like isn't real.

My statement was that the Force is Fate in Star Wars and it always has been since it's inception. Your challenge was "find something in the script that specifically states that!" as if that's at all a reasonable thing. Then I show you a direct quote from TPM acknowledges Prophecy and thus Fate as well as a script draft from a New Hope that does the same, it's not good enough for your particular stringent requirements. And while you're telling me that those quotes don't mean anything because they're not direct dialogue statements that blatantly say the words that I'm using... you talk about camera framing and film language as if it carries weight. Like, your own statements don't meet your criteria. Do you not see how ridiculous that is?

But sure.. let's talk about Vader being conflicted... let's talk about conveying the shift in the character.... and please explain how any of that actually refutes Fate, seeing as how Fates existence would mean that all of those things were always going to happen.

Last edited:

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Force has multiple facets to it. There is the more personal level which is the living force which is that mystical energy in all things. Then there is the Cosmic Force which in a way is essentially the God aspect of the force. The Cosmic force is the layer that more or less controls balance etc.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of where you stand with the lore, we can all agree that Ahsoka is the best. Right friends?

ahsoka_the_white_sw.jpg

It's funny how dipshits keep repeating the "hurr durr you only have a problem with Rey cuz she's a gurl" argument, completely ignoring that Ahsoka is universally beloved by the fanbase. Maybe it's, I dunno, the writing and not the character's gender.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I thought it was clear since TFA. If anything Rey is a bit stronger. But its really the writers fault here. They have been really poor to explain why is Rey Is so strong. In the deleted scene of TLJ it is shown rey knows how to force speed. Knowing mind trick, winning mental battles with kylo, saving kylo against the empire guards. Also their tug of war scene kind of solidifies she is on par with kylo if not stronger. Which is kind of unbelievable as someone with no training be on par with someone trained in force for years. Its like me going up against lebron and beating him because i am talented. Pretty dumb. Same applies for Poes gary stu flying skill. But they say hes the best so i kind of buy it and he has years of military training.

Yeah, Rey likely is stronger than Ben tbh. Hell, she might even be stronger than Anakin Skywalker.

And as valid as those arguments are, people will call you a sexist because you don't accept it.

ahsoka_the_white_sw.jpg

Hell yeah. Ahsoka is one of the best Star Wars characters introduced into the franchise.

They better give me Ahsoka meeting Luke, Ben and Leia in the EU.

It's funny how dipshits keep repeating the "hurr durr you only have a problem with Rey cuz she's a gurl" argument, completely ignoring that Ahsoka is universally beloved by the fanbase. Maybe it's, I dunno, the writing and not the character's gender.

Yep.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I can kinda get on board with the idea that the force has a passive will and that Jedi/Light Side/Uncorrupted force users seek harmony with this will. Conversely, the Sith/Dark Side/Corrupted force users subvert the force for their own usage outside of the will of the force.

That's my own head canon though and I've always preferred the idea that there's just the force and it's either corrupted or non-corrupted in its use.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

i dunno, it maybe that she has several hours dedicated to her development???

stop trying to compare a character from the flms when you are only taking the films into account to a tv series character

even Ezra is better developed than Luke in that case

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Goal Posts...

Shifted...

Repeatedly...

It doesn't matter if the Jedi understood the prophecy, what matters is that the prophecy was fulfilled. And it's been stated, by creators, that the prophecy was real, it was about Anakin, the Jedi interpreted incorrectly, but it was still fulfilled. And you know this to be fact. Which is why you're sitting here trying to craft ridiculously strict criteria to try to prove that something you don't like isn't real.

My statement was that the Force is Fate in Star Wars and it always has been since it's inception. Your challange was "find something in the script that specifically states that!" as if that's at all a reasonable thing. Then I show you a direct quote from TPM acknowledges Prophecy and thus Fate as well as a script draft from a New Hope that does the same, it's not good enough for your particular stringent requirements. And while you're telling me that those quotes don't mean anything because they're not direct dialogue statements that blatantly say the words that I'm using... you talk about camera framing and film language as if it carries weight. Like, your own statements don't meet your criteria. Do you not see how ridiculous that is?

But sure.. let's talk about Vader being conflicted... let's talk about conveying the shift in the character.... and please explain how any of that actually refutes Fate, seeing as how Fates existence would mean that all of those things were always going to happen.
You used a ROUGH DRAFT, which is not the script of the film. This is intellectually dishonest. It doesn't appear in the script of the film, it was removed.

Just because I mentioned the OT doesn't mean I moved goalposts.

So let me ask you again: can you please provide evidence from the script of the films that supports the argument of "free choice is an illusion, the Force controls everything"?

Or is it too unreasonable to request that you support your argument?

Hint: if you have to resort to outside interviews and explanations instead of letting the films speak for themselves, you're making a poor argument.

Apparently obvious directorial cues and direct dialogue is irrelevant.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can kinda get on board with the idea that the force has a passive will and that Jedi/Light Side/Uncorrupted force users seek harmony with this will. Conversely, the Sith/Dark Side/Corrupted force users subvert the force for their own usage outside of the will of the force.

That's my own head canon though and I've always preferred the idea that there's just the force and it's either corrupted or non-corrupted in its use.
I think this is a large part of how its actually viewed. The Jedi seek to work in harmony with the force. The Sith seek to control and twist the force to their will.

Comes into play with the idea too that Jedi in death can become one with the force while the Sith are essentially cast to "force hell" of non existence which is why the sith seek a way to cheat death

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think his general point is valid ... George Lucas writes characters from a place of mythology not "video game power level" characters. Darth Maul is doomed to fail because that his part of the story, it's not "Darth Maul loses because his midicholorian powers and black belt Jedi training is only 70% of Obi-Wan".

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
The mental gymnastics here are a sight to behold.

Yeah, you're either trolling or you have zero understanding of the concepts of Fate and Destiny.

Addressing your first point:
It may not be explicitly "better state of mind" = More power but it does imply pretty directly that studying and having your head in the right place is essential to reaching your potential. Fair enough. But now we have to talk about potential and then we start down the road to midichlorians and once you do that we are FIRMLY in the land of power levels. How much Ki does your blood have? How forcey is your body? Oh you lost a limb? That's 5.7% of your force juice down the drain.
It's a very weird place that SW has uniquely shoved itself into. It wants the esoteric and deep meaningful meditative angle of these warrior monks who practice and refine themselves through entire lives dedicated to the arts of battle but then also says "without any of that at all - someone can watch someone use force powers and if they are desperate enough, mimic said power perfectly"
It's not a fault in Rey's character. I think it's more of a fault in how they have presented the force over the years.

To you 2nd point:
fair enough i suppose. Although i think it's kind of weird to say "i'm basing my space warrior monks off real life warrior monks" and when someone says "oh you mean these real examples of actual warriors who are also monks who had to defend themselves and their institutions against often times corrupt and greedy government interference?" the answer is "Nah dog i meant like David Carradine in Kung Fu!"
like.... ok? LoL

It's definitely a weird place but that's where Lucas took it. It does follow it's own logic though. It's just not a logic that people are inclined to believe because we've been taught all our lives about potential rather than, say, "Your Grandfather was a Postal Worker, your Father was a Postal Worker, so all you'll ever be is a Postal Worker." Instead we're taught that we can be nearly anything we want if we try hard enough. And that's an awesome thing to teach for real life. But a fictional world works by the rules that have been set there. Even if those rules clash with what we are taught, believe, and are reality in the real world.

As to you second paragraph, all I can do is shrug. Not everyone that takes inspiration from something does the full deep dive to really know it. And sometimes they do but still simply pick and choose what they like out of it and ditch the rest.

So just so I'm clear. In the first Star Wars film, you think the author wrote Obi Wan, the mentor and most knowledgeable authority on the force that we knew, as being ignorant of the force while he's describing it to the audience?

What I think is that Lucas wrote ANH with the intent on keeping the Force as mysterious as possible. So even his wise and knowledgeable character never delves deeply into details. Kenobi is a Gandalf-like character from a writer who didn't flesh out his entire Universe before he started writing like Tolkien did. And since then, he's refined his concepts and filled in that Universe slowly. So large concepts stuck around while minor details shifted or were outright left by the wayside. We can't act like dialogue in ANH were seeds to come to fruition later because they weren't. But we can look at the larger themes, ideas, and concepts in ANH because those are what shaped the Universe as he continued developing it.

The TLJ Visual Dictionary confirmed that Anakin is the Chosen One.

TCW and George Lucas' comments also say that Anakin is the Chosen One.

Just saying.

That poster is well aware of that. They just want to stick with the, "it must be explicitly blatantly stated in the films!" argument.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Yup.

Also FP Jr. Is right, stop being mad folks because your headcanon is false.

I think his general point is valid ... George Lucas writes characters from a place of mythology not "video game power level" characters. Darth Maul is doomed to fail because that his part of the story, it's not "Darth Maul loses because his midicholorian powers and black belt Jedi training is only 70% of Obi-Wan".

Even someone with higher potential can beat someone with lower potential depending on the circumstances buuuut Lucas is the one who brought midichlorian and power level talk to Star Wars.

George Lucas: "Anakin, as Skywalker, as a human being, was going to be extremely powerful," he says. "But he ended up losing his arms and a leg and became partly a robot. So a lot of his ability to use the Force, a lot of his powers, are curbed at this point, because, as a living form, there's not that much of him left. So
his ability to be twice as good as the Emperor disappeared, and now he's maybe 20 percent less than the Emperor…"