Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As it should be, since there are still people denying it when it is clearly true.

A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character. (...) They can usually perform better at tasks than should be possible given the amount of training or experience, and usually are able through some means to upstage the protagonist of an established fictional setting, such as by saving the hero.
- Wikipedia

Another common trait for Mary Sues is that the attention of everyone around her, especially established characters and protagonists, revolves around her. There is no denying that this is pretty much what is happening with Rey. Finn lays eyes on her and is immediately wow'd. She meets Han Solo and he instantly takes a liking and interest in her. They meet up with Maz Kanata, who asks Han about Rey the moment she leaves. Kylo Ren wants to know everything about her. Finn only cares about saving Rey on Starkiller Base. And after Han died, it's Rey getting a hug of Leia instead of Chewie. It's Rey who gets to pilot the Millennium Falcon afterwards.
If you compare that to Luke Skywalker, he does not upstage anyone really. When he meets Obi-Wan, Luke is fascinated with him, not the other way around. When they go to the cantina, Luke makes a fool of himself. When they meet Han Solo, he doesn't take the kid seriously. When he rescues Leia, she is making fun of his young age. These are radically different approaches to writing a character, and I would say that one of those is more Mary Sue-territory than the other, but decide that for yourself.

You see, I have no problem with Rey being strong in the force. Or Rey being a tough fighter. Or Rey being an amazing pilot. Or Rey being a great mechanic. It's just that the combination of all those is incredibly lazy convenient writing and makes for a less intruiging, less relatable character. I also have a hard time seeing the hardships in her life as anything but beneficial to her, again, awfully convenient. Like you said yourself:

So her character flaws led to a main baddie being killed. Damn, I hope she can live with that....

But I guess in this sexist world, you cannot follow up on a great and likeable male lead with a tough and arguably stronger female lead. It just is not possible and cannot be done convincingly because misogyny. There just is no wa-- ...

f2f78f0a08c65ecc83368fb5d373df077011c306_hq.jpg

Oh wait, turns out it's possible. It just requires a well-written character, who'd have thought?
Seemingly perfect, you quoted the definition yourself. Better than they should be for their skill level. Because, yenno, she didn't get knocked out twice by the baddie of the story (Kylo Ren) via immediately frozen in place, put to sleep for having run away from the fight out of fear. She definitely didn't get captured or need saving from her friends, no sireee.

We don't need to pay attention to the movie or plot here, because you see, Rey is definitely seemingly perfect because I said so.

Because you know, after all, someone who spent their entire life fending for herself/surviving by digging for scraps and not protected by two guardians/whining about not being able to leave a farm are definitely comparable in terms of mental strength and skill sets and is not at all a completely disingenuous 1:1 comparison to make.

Luke didn't believe in himself and incessantly complained about how nothing is fair and how bad he's got it. Rey isn't this way and already has a leg up on him because she wouldn't have survived otherwise.

These are major differences in their characters that are overlooked because well, reasons. It makes complete sense that Rey would be more capable than Luke. That doesn't mean she's perfect or seemingly, if you actually stop for a second and examine her arc and the plot points within.

But I guess it's easier to ignore these things and pretend like she's perfect, right? Like she doesn't have flaws or fail/fall flat on her face? She went all in on believing Kylo Ren would run away with her and save the day, but instead, her actions led him to be pushed so far in the other direction that he killed his master and took his place.

But this is not a major failure for her at all right and definitely not a direct result of her flaws right?

Because you know, this is definitely fitting the definition of seemingly perfect that you provided above.

And Finn definitely didn't immediately save Rey's life by guiding her around/leading her away from the tie fighters sweeping Jakku on a mission to murder them, therefore saving her life. Rey didn't fuck up and accidentally release the rathtars. Finn and Han didn't save her yet again by bringing the falcon/Chewie flying away with her and Finn. Han didn't help direct them out of the Starkiller detention facility once they found Rey.

And no, by the way, Rey would not have escaped Starkiller, she would have either been gunned down leaving in a ship or immediately destroyed against the shield preventing anything from passing through. The only way Han and Finn even got in is because they came in at light speed. The falcon could only leave once the shield was destroyed via Poe and the rest of the resistance.

Just because people are interested in her doesn't make her a Mary Sue. They're both immediately intrigued and wowed by Han Solo when they meet him, but the other way around. Rey idolizes Luke Skywalker and the rebellion, and even has a doll of a rebel pilot and puts a pilot helmet on while she's wishing to be somewhere else, not on an abandoned planet, collecting scraps for food.

Yeah, you've done very well with your takedown here and definitely didn't willfully ignore her background and development as a character in favor of perpetuating a term utilized in a sexist context. Good job.

If you're going with Rey is a Mary Sue, you'd better be willing to apply the same criticisms to Luke in ANH, or Anakin in TPM.

But I wonder why this doesn't happen

Last edited:

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't have a problem with rey being "too powerful" or whatever, since i don't care if there is a powerful space wizard in my star wars, but i don't really understand how so many people seem to argue that luke was the same way. luke was pretty much useless for a good chunk of a new hope. sure, at the end he made one great shot, but there's nothing weird about the hero of an adventure movie doing something heroic.

just comparing their first action scenes is pretty telling: rey has no problem beating those two attackers without any help, while luke got jumped by one of those sand people and had to be saved by obi-wan howling like a banshee. pretty soon after he had to be saved again at the canteen. the only real problem i remember rey having in the entire movie was being captured at one point, but she got out of that all by herself by first matching kylo is a force stare-off, and then inventing the jedi mindtrick.

during the course of his movies, luke went from a helpless farm boy to being a powerful jedi. the difference between luke at the start of a new hope and what he is at the beginning of the return of the jedi is clear, both physically and mentally. i don't think any such change can be seen in rey, unless she starts the next movie as a demi-god or something.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seemingly perfect, you quoted the definition yourself. Better than they should be for their skill level. Because, yenno, she didn't get knocked out twice by the baddie of the story (Kylo Ren) via immediately frozen in place, put to sleep for having run away from the fight out of fear. She definitely didn't get captured or need saving from her friends, no sireee.
Funny, she actually freed herself, it's even played as a comedic moment in the movie when the rescuers discover that she is actually already on her way out. So maybe:

We don't need to pay attention to the movie or plot here, because you see, Rey is definitely seemingly perfect because I said so.
.. you should pay attention to the movie.

Because you know, after all, someone who spent their entire life fending for herself/surviving by digging for scraps and not protected by two guardians/whining about not being able to leave a farm are definitely comparable in terms of mental strength and skill sets and is not at all a completely disingenuous 1:1 comparison to make.
Meh, I think they are not too comparable. But somehow, whenever one points out the lacklusterness of Rey as a character, someone always pops up to scream "b-b-b-but Luke!!!!111".

Luke didn't believe in himself and incessantly complained about how nothing is fair and how bad he's got it. Rey isn't this way and already has a leg up on him because she had to have been to survive.
Luke didn't believe in himself? Maybe turn off your headcanon for a moment. After the Lars are killed, Luke wants to go to Alderaan, help Leia, learn the ways of the Force, rescue Leia on the Death Star, and is even convinced that hitting a 2m exhaust port is very doable when a more experienced fighter pilot like Wedge is doubtful.

These are major differences in their characters that are overlooked because well, reasons. It makes complete sense that Rey would be more capable than Luke. That doesn't mean she's perfect or seemingly, if you actually stop for a second and examine her arc and the plot points within.
I never said that her character doesn't "make sense", only that it is lazy writing to have such a boring character who can do anything.

But I guess it's easier to ignore these things and pretend like she's perfect, right? Like she doesn't have flaws or fail/fall flat on her face? She went all in on believing Kylo Ren would run away with her and save the day, but instead, her actions led him to be pushed so far in the other direction that he killed his master and took his place.
Ironically, her greatest weakness seems to be to hold other, more flawed characters to the same impossibly high standards as herself, lol.

But this is not a major failure for her at all right and definitely not a direct result of her flaws right?
She got Snoke killed and her neck saved in the process, I have a feeling she will manage those horrible failures.

Because you know, this is definitely fitting the definition of seemingly perfect that you provided above.
Your cute attempts at irony aside, you are concentrating on the one point in the definition that I actually cared least about. I wrote an entire paragraph detailing how Rey, in typical Mary Sue fashion, gains the attention of all characters, be it new or established ones, around her. How she upstages other characters. I guess since you concentrate on the "weakest" point of the argument so much and leave the rest untouched, you probably have no counter points against the more detailed parts of my argument.

And Finn definitely didn't immediately save Rey's life by guiding her around/leading her away from the tie fighters sweeping Jakku on a mission to murder them, therefore saving her life. Rey didn't fuck up and accidentally release the rathtars. Finn and Han didn't save her yet again by bringing the falcon/Chewie flying away with her and Finn. Han didn't help direct them out of the Starkiller detention facility once they found Rey.
Funny, she actually seemed to know how to run away by herself, it's even played as a comedic moment in the movie when she tells Finn that she doesn't need his handholding. And her "fucking up" saved Han from Bala-Tik and his gang. Don't you too begin to sense a theme here, maybe?

Just because people are interested in her doesn't make her a Mary Sue. They're both immediately intrigued and wowed by Han Solo when they meet him, but the other way around. Rey idolizes Luke Skywalker and the rebellion, and even has a doll of a rebel pilot and puts a pilot helmet on while she's wishing to be somewhere else, not on an abandoned planet, collecting scraps for food.
No indeed, audience interest doesn't have anything to do with it, I completely agree. What makes her a Mary Sue is that she is written like a Mary Sue.

Yeah, you've done very well with your takedown here and definitely didn't willfully ignore her background and development as a character. Good job.
I'd love to return the compliment, but oh well.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This opinion piece is nonsense. It paints the entirety of TFA as Rei struggling with abandonment and self-doubt issues. I recall only one scene of her being left behind as a child. The rest of the film doesn't have her conflicted, reserved, or tormented by it, and she shows absolutely no reservation to leave Jakku. Abandonment is not an underlying, significant core theme, but one that's brought up in passing. Both in TFA and in TLJ.

What fucking movie was that guy watching? That opinion piece is seriously reaching for anything to make Rei appear deeper and more meaningful than she actually is. She is nothing but uninteresting, and that would apply if she were a male. But unsurprisingly, as expected, the straight white male accusation reared its head. That wasn't at all predictable.

Its genuinely reaffirming that you question what movie he was watching because it is indeed like we were watching different movies.

or maybe more like I was watching the movie and you sat there trying to find reasons to be mad, couldn't, and made them up instead.

the movie is dripping with everything you say here that it lacks.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Funny, she actually freed herself, it's even played as a comedic moment in the movie when the rescuers discover that she is actually already on her way out. So maybe:

.. you should pay attention to the movie.

Meh, I think they are not too comparable. But somehow, whenever one points out the lacklusterness of Rey as a character, someone always pops up to scream "b-b-b-but Luke!!!!111".

Luke didn't believe in himself? Maybe turn off your headcanon for a moment. After the Lars are killed, Luke wants to go to Alderaan, help Leia, learn the ways of the Force, rescue Leia on the Death Star, and is even convinced that hitting a 2m exhaust port is very doable when a more experienced fighter pilot like Wedge is doubtful.

I never said that her character doesn't "make sense", only that it is lazy writing to have such a boring character who can do anything.

Ironically, her greatest weakness seems to be to hold other, more flawed characters to the same impossibly high standards as herself, lol.

She got Snoke killed and her neck saved in the process, I have a feeling she will manage those horrible failures.

Your cute attempts at irony aside, you are concentrating on the one point in the definition that I actually cared least about. I wrote an entire paragraph detailing how Rey, in typical Mary Sue fashion, gains the attention of all characters, be it new or established ones, around her. How she upstages other characters. I guess since you concentrate on the "weakest" point of the argument so much and leave the rest untouched, you probably have no counter points against the more detailed parts of my argument.

Funny, she actually seemed to know how to run away by herself, it's even played as a comedic moment in the movie when she tells Finn that she doesn't need his handholding. And her "fucking up" saved Han from Bala-Tik and his gang. Don't you too begin to sense a theme here, maybe?

No indeed, audience interest doesn't have anything to do with it, I completely agree. What makes her a Mary Sue is that she is written like a Mary Sue.

I'd love to return the compliment, but oh well.
Yes, you do need to watch the movie because I just explained (because I knew you'd come back with this lazy ass point) in my above post that she would have never made it off of Starkiller. The shield was up and there was literally no way to make it through. Did you see what happened when Finn and Poe escaped? That was without a shield blocking their path. Like I said, watch the movie.

Except I didn't scream "but Luke", I compared them in addition to directly addressing the points you raised. This is some lazy shit.

Just because he was able to pull off the feat of hitting a perfect shot with the aid of obi in his ear doesn't mean he always believes in himself. obi had to guide him through the process, even begging Like to let go after his initial refusal. Watch ESB and come back to me, particularly the Yoda X-Wing scene. This is quite literally spelled out for you.

No, I already described her weaknesses and flaws but just to go a little farther. Her issues of abandonment, loneliness and lack of purpose are her main character flaws, seeing good in everything/everyone to the point of being naive. It's what led her away from the fight in TFA (which leads her to be captured) and why she failed with Kylo Ren.

But please continue to gloss over the points I've raised about her being imperfect/needing help/falling down.

Show me which points of yours I didn't address. I already stated that she was basically fawning over solo and Luke. People being interested in who she is is not what defines a Mary Sue, lol. Maz asking "who's the girl" doesn't make her a Mary Sue. She clearly asked because she can sense the force within her, which is why she met her and told her about the saber/the Force. She was actually equally interested in Finn, who presented himself as someone she idolizes (member of the resistance).

Last edited:

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, you do need to watch the movie because I just explained (because I knew you'd come back with this lazy ass point) in my above post that she would have never made it off of Starkiller. The shield was up and there was literally no way to make it through. Did you see what happened when Finn and Poe escaped? That was without a shield blocking their path. Like I said, watch the movie.
Presenting obstacles that a protagonist does not have to overcome because – conveniently – they are taken care of in time is not a compelling argument for a character flaw. And does not detract from the fact that Rey escaped her imprisonment by herself, unarmed and using a skill she just picked up.

Except I didn't scream "but Luke", I compared them in addition to directly addressing the points you raised. This is some lazy shit.
I was talking in a more general sense, not strictly about you. Unfortunately, it is the modus operandi for many to bring up Luke as a counterargument to defend the characterisation of Rey, and it's pretty annoying. Like the weakest attempt at a deflection tactic possible.

Just because he was able to pull off the feat of hitting a perfect shot with the aid of obi in his ear doesn't mean he always believes in himself. obi had to guide him through the process, even begging Like to let go after his initial refusal. Watch ESB and come back to me, particularly the Yoda X-Wing scene. This is quite literally spelled out for you.
Maybe you could use some rewatching yourself. Once Yoda lifted the X-Wing out of the swamp, Luke outright states how he cannot believe it. He does not doubt himself, he doubts that it is possible at all, even for Yoda. He doubts the Force. This has literally nothing to do with faith in yourself as a person, but with faith in a greater power. Luke certainly did not doubt himself and his own abilities when he stormed off to save his friends like three scenes later, knowing fully well that he has not finished his training in the Force and not caring about it. He even promises to resist the Dark Side, to return and to finish his training. If that is not confidence in who you are and what you are trying to do, then what is?

No, I already described her weaknesses and flaws but just to go a little farther. Her issues of abandonment, loneliness and lack of purpose are her main character flaws, seeing good in everything/everyone to the point of being naive. It's what led her away from the fight in TFA (which leads her to be captured) and why she failed with Kylo Ren.
I am glad that you pointed out her naivité, so I didn't have to. It is a character trait that is in stark contrast to the harsh conditions she has supposedly had to grow up in. One would expect her to turn out bitter, grim or at the very least as tough and self-confident. But her mild-tempered nature does not reflect that at all, but that's an entirely different story, even though I also see it as a problem of her characterisation. But let's better not get into that.

But please continue to gloss over the points I've raised about her being imperfect/needing help/falling down.
As I said, it's hard to take a supposed flaw seriously if it leads to a bunch of beneficial things happen. Like Gladstone Gander tripping over a box of diamonds and you making an argument about that character's hardships because he stubbed his toe, lol.

Show me which points of yours I didn't address. I already stated that she was basically fawning over solo and Luke. People being interested in who she is is not what defines a Mary Sue, lol. Maz asking "who's the girl" doesn't make her a Mary Sue. She clearly asked because she can sense the force within her, which is why she met her and told her about the saber/the Force. She was actually equally interested in Finn, who presented himself as someone she idolizes (member of the resistance).
Overly being the center of attention and character interests is a recurring trait in Mary Sue characters, yes. As is upstaging previously established protagonists. Like when Rey saved Han Solo's ship from blowing up by bypassing a compressor, resulting in him looking dumbfounded at her in his helplessness.

CeSqKaLWQAEXO2P.jpg

A scene like this is basically Mary Sue 101. Introducing a new character and portraying their awesomeness in making previously established characters look like idiots next to them who cannot help themselves but be impressed by the newcomer. Her fangirling over Luke and Han does not change it, especially since TLJ makes quite some effort to once again elevate the greatness of Rey in making her realize that her idolization of Luke Skywalker is wrong.

Oct 28, 2017
Presenting obstacles that a protagonist does not have to overcome because – conveniently – they are taken care of in time is not a compelling argument for a character flaw. And does not detract from the fact that Rey escaped her imprisonment by herself, unarmed and using a skill she just picked up.

I was talking in a more general sense, not strictly about you. Unfortunately, it is the modus operandi for many to bring up Luke as a counterargument to defend the characterisation of Rey, and it's pretty annoying. Like the weakest attempt at a deflection tactic possible.

Maybe you could use some rewatching yourself. Once Yoda lifted the X-Wing out of the swamp, Luke outright states how he cannot believe it. He does not doubt himself, he doubts that it is possible at all, even for Yoda. He doubts the Force. This has literally nothing to do with faith in yourself as a person, but with faith in a greater power. Luke certainly did not doubt himself and his own abilities when he stormed off to save his friends like three scenes later, knowing fully well that he has not finished his training in the Force and not caring about it. He even promises to resist the Dark Side, to return and to finish his training. If that is not confidence in who you are and what you are trying to do, then what is?

I am glad that you pointed out her naivité, so I didn't have to. It is a character trait that is in stark contrast to the harsh conditions she has supposedly had to grow up in. One would expect her to turn out bitter, grim or at the very least as tough and self-confident. But her mild-tempered nature does not reflect that at all, but that's an entirely different story, even though I also see it as a problem of her characterisation. But let's better not get into that.

As I said, it's hard to take a supposed flaw seriously if it leads to a bunch of beneficial things happen. Like Gladstone Gander tripping over a box of diamonds and you making an argument about that character's hardships because he stubbed his toe, lol.

Overly being the center of attention and character interests is a recurring trait in Mary Sue characters, yes. As is upstaging previously established protagonists. Like when Rey saved Han Solo's ship from blowing up by bypassing a compressor, resulting in him looking dumbfounded at her in his helplessness.

CeSqKaLWQAEXO2P.jpg

A scene like this is basically Mary Sue 101. Introducing a new character and portraying their awesomeness in making previously established characters look like idiots next to them who cannot help themselves but be impressed by the newcomer. Her fangirling over Luke and Han does not change it, especially since TLJ makes quite some effort to once again elevate the greatness of Rey in making her realize that her idolization of Luke Skywalker is wrong.
Rey has spent her life scavenging valuable parts from Corellian-engineered ships. There is a perfectly good in-universe explanation for her having an intimate understanding of a Corellian YT light freighter like the falcon

Oct 28, 2017
I was talking in a more general sense, not strictly about you. Unfortunately, it is the modus operandi for many to bring up Luke as a counterargument to defend the characterisation of Rey, and it's pretty annoying. Like the weakest attempt at a deflection tactic possible

Total bullshit. It's the exact opposite. People opposed to Rey's talents/abilities in TFA BRING UP LUKE to say she's too strong/powerful because she learned/did things faster than he did

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
CeSqKaLWQAEXO2P.jpg

But she had spent her whole life scavenging parts from ships......

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Rey has spent her life scavenging valuable parts from Corellian-engineered ships. There is a perfectly good in-universe explanation for her having an intimate understanding of a Corellian YT light freighter like the falcon
Star Destroyers (the only thing we actually see Rey scavenge from) aren't CEC ships; they're Kuat Drive Yards. Also, working on a busted out Y-Wing (made by Koensayr, also not CEC) and taking apart wrecks doesn't mean you'd have "an intimate understanding of a Corellian YT light freighter". That's like saying "I live on a house boat and take apart old submarines, so sure I can fix your van".

The actual explanation is much easier: CEC ships are made to be super user friendly and customized to the buyer. Being able to work what is essentially a plug and play freighter system doesn't take much expertise. Sure, Rey is naturally tech-savvy, no arguing that, but it's a YT. There's a reason banging on it actually works.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
not only that, she knew what modifications unkar plutt made to the falcon, han didnt.
He immediatly noticed when he boarded the Falcon, they even talked about it and why it is a bad idea.

But she had spent her whole life scavenging parts from ships......
Completely beside the point. I am not opposed to the idea that Rey is a good mechanic, I hate it when characterization is achieved through downplaying other (beloved) characters. A good writer should be able to come up with something better, without needing to upstage others. Which is exactly what is happening here, when we show Han Solo of all people needing the help of Rey to not blow up his own ship. Shouldn't he know how to handle it? I think it's just poorly executed characterization. Like if the movie showed how Rey was better at ripping off arms than Chewie and explained it with her having wrestled gundarks at Jakku for 15 years.

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
i don't have a problem with rey being "too powerful" or whatever, since i don't care if there is a powerful space wizard in my star wars, but i don't really understand how so many people seem to argue that luke was the same way. luke was pretty much useless for a good chunk of a new hope. sure, at the end he made one great shot, but there's nothing weird about the hero of an adventure movie doing something heroic.

just comparing their first action scenes is pretty telling: rey has no problem beating those two attackers without any help, while luke got jumped by one of those sand people and had to be saved by obi-wan howling like a banshee. pretty soon after he had to be saved again at the canteen. the only real problem i remember rey having in the entire movie was being captured at one point, but she got out of that all by herself by first matching kylo is a force stare-off, and then inventing the jedi mindtrick.

during the course of his movies, luke went from a helpless farm boy to being a powerful jedi. the difference between luke at the start of a new hope and what he is at the beginning of the return of the jedi is clear, both physically and mentally. i don't think any such change can be seen in rey, unless she starts the next movie as a demi-god or something.

And even then Luke is not powerful enough to win by force, he wins by (eventually) resisting the darkside and appealing to vader as his son.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
He immediatly noticed when he boarded the Falcon, they even talked about it and why it is a bad idea.

Completely beside the point. I am not opposed to the idea that Rey is a good mechanic, I hate it when characterization is achieved through downplaying other (beloved) characters. A good writer should be able to come up with something better, without needing to upstage others. Which is exactly what is happening here, when we show Han Solo of all people needing the help of Rey to not blow up his own ship. Shouldn't he know how to handle it? I think it's just poorly executed characterization. Like if the movie showed how Rey was better at ripping off arms than Chewie and explained it with her having wrestled gundarks at Jakku for 15 years.
I'm just going to say that literally, in real life, this happens a lot. You could be 30 years deep into a field and profession and someone younger and more fresh will come and point something out and make you feel stupid. This has happened a lot in just my development field which I'm new in to my counterparts in their 40s with a long ass CV to show for it. I think it's a bit out there to take that and roll it into the greater mary sue characterization going on.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm just going to say that literally, in real life, this happens a lot. You could be 30 years deep into a field and profession and someone younger and more fresh will come and point something out and make you feel stupid. This has happened a lot in just my development field which I'm new in to my counterparts in their 40s with a long ass CV to show for it. I think it's a bit out there to take that and roll it into the greater mary sue characterization going on.

Realistically, the coolest hero in the world can be unceremoniously killed by a panicked random soldier on the battlefield. That doesn't mean it will be satisfying storytelling.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes that's true in real life but Star Wars isn't real, it never was. It's a fairy tale about space wizards and laser swords and good vs evil and space stations that can blow up planets.

If you want realism, go read A Song of Ice and Fire or something. Star Wars has never been very big on it. When people start throwing around phrases like "clinical depression" they're taking the franchise a bit too seriously.

Maybe that's where the issues with the sequel trilogy stem from - trying to ground the franchise in realism while also having planets that can destroy entire solar systems in one barrage. That tonal mismatch may well be why the two movies feel messy and inconsistent, with people insisting Luke is realistic while Rey doesn't need to be.

rb1121

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Chicago
I ask this: can you imagine a scene where Rey gets her hand cut off like the other protagonists? Ask yourself why not....

rb1121

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Chicago
stupid ass question.

why does she losing a limb means anything?

your misogynistic takes are tiring

You didn't answer the question. But thanks for insulting me, even though completely off base.

I was very excited for a female Jedi in Star Wars, but it is a shallow and badly written character. It just is.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

CeSqKaLWQAEXO2P.jpg

Almost this entire posts is I'm literally grasping at straws.gif.

So.. because Rey was able to briefly escape her confinement, it's completely irrelevant that she needed saving from her friends and that they showed up specifically to save her? If Finn and Han wouldn't have shown up to rescue her, she never would have made it off Starkiller base. It's really as simple as that, and to dismiss facts because she was able to slip away and briefly avoid being detected is completely disingenuous, but I'm not surprised.

The Force is completely dependent on one's state of mind. Do you really think Yoda's lesson didn't have to do with Luke's state of mind and his incessant persistence that what he was doing was impossible? "You want the impossible". That doesn't have anything to do with believing in yourself in order to harness the power of the Force? Congrats, you've missed Yoda's entire lesson to Luke. It's about his state of mind, it always was with Luke. He tried to save his friends out of desperation, not because of his own confidence and state of mind. He even outright says this to Luke "judge me by my size, do you?". Belief in the Force and belief in one's self are inseparable.

LOL, so because she grew up on her own on a desert planet, she should just automatically not be naive? She was lost dude. Luke couldn't be what she wanted. She didn't get any of the answers or purpose she was searching for. She saw hope in Ben, through the vision, and out of desperation for a solution, went all in since she saw him as their last chance. It was stupid, sure, but that's because she's got flaws. Like, you complain that she's too perfect while simultaneously complaining that she's got believable flaws, just unreal.

Rey is not confident? You are all over the place dude, she says "I can handle myself" to Han, who then says "I know you can, that's why I'm giving it to you" (the blaster).. one of the many, many examples of her confidence on display throughout the trilogy. Just because she stumbles and struggles doesn't mean she doesn't have confidence. She just mistakenly thought that Kylo would come back and save the day.. and that she could turn him.

Like I said, her flaws made her fail and elevated Kylo to Supreme Leader. But somehow, in your mind, that's a success for her, for completely fuckin' unknown reasons lol. It's an unmitigated failure. She was wrong.

Lol yes, because after all there's no way Rey, who collected ship pieces from large and small ships alike in order to literally eat wouldn't know anything about how to fix something on a ship involving said parts. It's not like Han Solo has always been some expert technician, half of the time in the OT him and Chewie are hacking at shit, "let me try this, does this work?". Leia even quips "would it help if I got out and pushed" during a moment when he's literally banging on the ship to get it to start back up. Obviously he knows his shit because him and Chewie made upgrades themselves, but that doesn't mean he has every answer at all times or that Rey shouldn't also be able to problem solve with her literal life experience working with ship parts.

This is just getting pathetic and sad.

Last edited:

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
his is just getting pathetic and sad.
Yeah, I was thinking the same when reading your post, so let us agree to disagree. And enjoy Rey as the well-written character you perceive her to be. If you want more after episode IX, PM me and I can send you a Star Trek fanfiction that should be right up your alley.

And my condolences to Gladstone. Such a poor fella.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, I was thinking the same when reading your post, so let us agree to disagree. And enjoy Rey as the well-written character you perceive her to be. If you want more after episode IX, PM me and I can send you a Star Trek fanfiction that should be right up your alley.

And my condolences to Gladstone. Such a poor fella.
Looking forward to your Ben Shapiro TROS review link.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looking forward to your Ben Shapiro TROS review link.
Your tunnel vision is alarming, and further confirmation that your posts are not to be taken seriously. You never argued against any of my points, but against a perceived enemy image that you conjured up as soon as my choice of words made you wrongly categorize me (where the error does not lie in my choice of words, but your perception of them). What's next, calling me a Nazi? Laughable.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Your tunnel vision is alarming, and further confirmation that your posts are not to be taken seriously. You never argued against any of my points, but against a perceived enemy image that you conjured up as soon as my choice of words made you wrongly categorize me (where the error does not lie in my choice of words, but your perception of them). What's next, calling me a Nazi? Laughable.
I've literally answered all of your posts. I even asked you to point out what I failed to answer and you didn't respond.

You do not argue in good faith. I shouldn't have wasted my time. You understand full well the implication of using the term Mary Sue in this context, yet you do it anyway and fail to apply the same criticisms to Luke or Anakin. You also conveniently ignore the fact that Rey has real weaknesses and flaws that clearly contradict the definition you originally posted. So don't act outraged when you're called out for your not so subtle shitty and regressive takes.

This is my last response.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Freddie isn't stopping. He went hard against the Star Wars YouTube outrage culture last night.

Freddie still throwing down truth.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that Freddie doesnt like the sequels! I do agree with the truth he's throwing down here. People take the discussion way too personally on either side.