Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
While I personally hate waking up at 7am, I will freely admit that my current 4x10 schedule (5 hours on, 3 hour "lunch break" and 5 more on) is AWESOME!! That combined with working from home gives me much more free time (in theory. Have other personal issues that make it not be as much) but still, I have no plans to quit this schedule at all.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I've been doing 4 8s for several months now. Never wanna go back.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
If American work culture was actually about getting things done and productivity there would be a ton of changes like this but it's really about just looking like you're working hard. It's performative penance, a Sisyphean task for an unknown crime. The boulder doesn't need to get up the hill, you just need to push it up there every day for 8 hours.

I do notice that when I bring this up, people are like "4 10s I love it!" No you fool! Less hours! Who cares if you're just shifting the peas around your plate.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
ive been working 4 days on 3 days off for the past couple of months, and we're about to transition back to 5 days a week, and everyone hates it.

the best shift i ever worked was 3 12-hour days with 4 days off, rounded up to 40 hours. second best was 4 10-hour days. the 5 day work week is trash and it serves no body, not even the corps who keep it in play.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what's the point of promoting 10hours day work for getting an extra day off.

Like, we have plenty of studies showing we don't even work for 8 hours, so what's the extra 2 hours? Just for staying in the office with our brain friend because we have to check some random ass hour cuota?
Exactly. My brain is mush by the end of a 10 hour work day, and those weeks are definitely less productive than 5 day weeks. I hate it.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I guess Capitalism got me faded because I cannot imagine getting everything I need to do on a week to week basis with one fewer work day, even with the shift in hours per day. Dropping 4-6 hours a week is an entire contract gone.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This is good, I have been collecting evidence to present to my company to better advocate for the conditions of workers

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
When I had an apartment I was living for the weekend. With an old detached house sometimes I feel like I work 5 days a week as an engineer, one day as a general contractor, half a day as a grocery delivery dude and the other half day as a gardener.

And you can add this to the many reasons I do not want any part of owning a home right now lol. I don't care what anyone says about rent being a waste, I want no parts.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, this article is complete horseshit. Unfortunately.

I've been working for the city of Reykjavík for almost 10 years and I have yet to meet a person that thinks this was implemented well. I work in two departments, one with 60 people and one with 150 people and moral has never been lower, job has never been as stressful and productivity is down. The only people who have gained from this are people with desk jobs but they can clearly see this has been terrible for other people. The city didn't want to cut services but at the same time didn't hire people to make this work. Pre-schools are still open from 8 to 5 but now every 100% employee works 5 hours less so they are understaffed all the time. My sister worked a 4 day workweek, needed fridays off because of her kids, was forced to work 5 days a week because it was the only way to have enough employees. There are no funerals on fridays because they people who maintain the cemetery don't work on fridays anymore. People who work part time can't save up the time so they can't get a half day off, they start 3 mins later and leave 4 mins early on mondays and on tuesdays they start 6 mins later and leave 2 mins early.

The list goes on and on and on

Last edited:

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
And you can add this to the many reasons I do not want any part of owning a home right now lol. I don't care what anyone says about rent being a waste, I want no parts.
There's the flipside though, walking distance to schools and I cut my commute to work by half on average. I wouldn't have wanted to start a family in my old appartment (great view, but for everything else not so much).

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, this article is complete horseshit. Unfortunately.

I've been working for the city of Reykjavík for almost 10 years and I have yet to meet a person that thinks this was implemented well. I work in two departments, one with 60 people and one with 150 people and moral has never been lower, job has never been as stressful and productivity is down.
Interesting. Thanks for your input.
It certainly wouldn't be the first time the media spin emphasized only one side of the story. If unions can push for same pay less hours then that's what they will try to do. It doesn't mean the experiment was an "overwhelming success" for employers and their productivity.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
According to a new poll done by the biggest paper in Iceland only 53% of people are happy with getting paid the same but working fewer hours. I wouldn't call that a overwhelming success. Think about how badly it's been done for it to only reach 53%

T9Hq3be.png

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I've just switched to a 9 day every two weeks model (have every other Monday off) as of last week and I was loving my long weekend. Today is Tuesday and now I'm more stressed out than ever because all of today was spent trying to do yesterday's shit. I feel like I've been constantly behind since the switch. Not to mention how much planning I had to do last Friday to ensure having Monday off would go smoothly.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
According to a new poll done by the biggest paper in Iceland only 53% of people are happy with getting paid the same but working fewer hours. I wouldn't call that a overwhelming success. Think about how badly it's been done for it to only reach 53%

T9Hq3be.png

52% of the UK voted to fuck our economy and leave the EU and we went with it. 53% is more than enough support for a 4 day work week.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I shared this article with my work, and a couple others. They allow anonymous questions that are addressed by the higher ups during company meetings. They never responded, not even in text, fuck all these corporate vulture pieces of shit

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Some translation of the actual article:
Google Translate said:
Fifty-three percent of Icelanders are happy with the shortening of the working week at their workplace, according to a survey conducted by Prósent for Fréttablaðið. There is a fairly equal ratio between those who say they are very happy and those who say they are rather happy.

Almost 21 percent, on the other hand, are rather or very dissatisfied. The shortening of the working week has not yet been implemented in the workplaces of 21 percent of respondents.

It is interesting to note that public employees, ie the state and local authorities, are much happier with the shortening of the working week than employees in the private sector. Thus, 64 per cent of public employees say they are satisfied with the shortening of the working week, but only 44 per cent of employees in the private sector.

Halldóra Sveinsdóttir from the Trade Union says that the explanation for this will be that in the general labor market there is a need to negotiate specifically on the one hand about wanting to go for shortening and then on the shortening itself. "The shortening does not come in automatically as in the case of public employees," says Halldóra.

At least one case is currently pending before a company court due to a dispute over a consumption break, which is proposed to be deducted from the shortening for shift workers, with the result that the actual shortening would only be just over an hour but three hours would go to a defined consumption break. Halldóra says that the shortening of the working week has confused many in the rhyme and that many have thought that she would come in automatically.

"It's as if this is only waking up now in the general market after the public sector has brought this up," says Halldóra, adding: "We are getting more inquiries. People who want to negotiate in their workplaces and ask for our help with that. "

Seems people that are unhappy are because they didn't get the shorter hours like others?

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
52% of the UK voted to fuck our economy and leave the EU and we went with it. 53% is more than enough support for a 4 day work week.

Don't get me wrong. The concept is great but you can't implement it in the same way for every job, unless you add staff or open later/close earlier etc. The way Icelandic government and Reykjavík did it was poorly executed unless you work a 9 to 5 desk job.

Some translation of the actual article:

Seems people that are unhappy are because they didn't get the shorter hours like others?

I can see why Google would translate it like that but it says 21% of the people they asked have not had their workweek shortened. They are only passing judgement on the system in place, nothing about being unhappy they haven't gotten it.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
The worst thing about having an unfixed schedule is you can sometimes have 3 days off but end up having to work 10 days straight because of the bullshit mentality that Sundays is the start of the new week. I'm exhausted and I have things to do

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I would even do 10hour days if it meant 4 day workweeks.

My company used to allow that option, but I think it made scheduling a bit more difficult because of deliveries being daily and leaving a bigger coverage gap. Still, would rather do that.