Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
The article wasn't specific, did they include all sectors in the trials? I was wondering specifically about touch labor (warehouse workers, manufacturers, retail...aka people who cannot work remotely) At a supermarket for example, did they just hire more workers, or reduce the hours of operation to make this work?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The five-day work week is soul crushing. We should not have to work for most of our waking existence. People have a right to flourish in robust personal lives. Forcing workers to accept a too-short weekend to recuperate from their work week, only to fall right back into the grind, and on and on until retirement (or death), is perverse and exploitative.

The convenient fact that working less leads to greater productivity should be leveraged to drive corporate reform. You'd think this would be an easy sell to companies that are obsessive about controlling payroll.

MangoUltz

"This guy are sick"
Mar 24, 2019
Remote work and moving to a three day weekend are hills I will die on. Massive benefits for everyone. The option should absolutely be there

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
This will never catch on in America, barring a mass economic upheaval or government intervention. Most companies are beholden to the desire for perpetual growth in revenue and profit, and the concept of "same productivity in less hours" just tells leadership they could probably be squeezing more productivity out of their workforce during the current 40+ hour work week.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds more feasible for tech or wfm capable jobs. Things like logistics, construction, law enforcement, medical, etc will need to hire more people to cover the loss of personal which means the prices of basic necessities will go up.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
I work in accounting and we've done 4 day work weeks (9 hours a day/36 a week) for the last decade I've worked there. It's honestly a huge factor in me being hesitant to work somewhere else - having to do that 5th day every week would suck.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to know. The more data there is about this, the more likely this might catch on.

If you can definitely prove that workplaces are more productive on less hours, people who only care about the bottom line might notice.

I mean, we already proved that people work better or the same (or more!!) remotely, but people are pushing against that too.

I think money is one thing, but these powerful people are also afraid of the loss of control.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I work 4-10s and on call once a week over night. I rather work 3-12s, but it is what it is.

I would never work 5-8s ever.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I decided to compress five days of work into four days (ranging from 33-40 hours depending on the week) and man having that third day off really makes me feel so much better.

It's perfect because Monday becomes the only real day to dread. The end of Tuesday marks the halfway point. Wednesday is when you start getting excited because tomorrow is THURSDAAAAAAAAAAY and you're done.

This is so true. I've been doing 4-day weeks for the last year and psychologically it's just so much better.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
No shit.

Also 4 10s suck. The cognitive research has spoken. You're not really getting anything done after 6 hours.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
*cries in restaurant*

good luck with that getting hereā€¦we're lucky to get 2 days off and that's in our winter season; the only reason I get 2 and sometimes 3 days off is because of my other job; which is extremely lax and can work from home.

I do wish it was the norm, some of my coworkers days off are only thanksgiving, Christmas, and their vacation(and that's just from our job as they are working another)

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My happiest times working were when I was doing 8-14 5 days a week because I was studying too, you have all the energy, the morning flies by and you have more than half a day for you. 3 day week with 8-16 sounds like a dream honestly. Three day weekend every weekend sounds awesome.

This 40 hour a week nonsense needs to stop. It doesn't work. It makes us tired and bitter.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even know what's the point of promoting 10hours day work for getting an extra day off.

Like, we have plenty of studies showing we don't even work for 8 hours, so what's the extra 2 hours? Just for staying in the office with our brain friend because we have to check some random ass hour cuota?

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
5 day work week is terror. To everyone young here ,,, plan your future in a way to avoid 5 days. Minimize your financial obligations , minimize your lust for money and material possessions. Do it!
I did that. In the age of 30 I quit my high paying job for a rather low-paying part time job (4 days per week) since May 2021. I have to live a frugal lifestyle to survive. But I can recommend it to everyone to whom it is financially possible.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
My work is moving to 9 days every two weeks and due to the over time I already work it means I'll essentially work the same hours but get a "free" day off it will also save me a few hours travel that day.

Looking forward to it.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I recently went from a 50 hour/week job to a 35-40 hour/week job that also doubled my salary. I basically work 8 hours M-Th and have a half day Friday. It's pretty wonderful and I can only imagine what having all of my Friday off would be like.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazon must be really progressive since they've been doing this goe a while, 10 hrs a day, 4 a week and it sucks,

It should be work less and get paid the same and not just longer days, makes a person really tired.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
A huge part of the reason I'm switching careers is I'm tired of living for the weekend. 24 hour shifts might be a lot, but randomly getting multiple days off in the middle of the week sounds like a no brainer.
When I had an apartment I was living for the weekend. With an old detached house sometimes I feel like I work 5 days a week as an engineer, one day as a general contractor, half a day as a grocery delivery dude and the other half day as a gardener.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I dunno these seems risky. How about just in case it backfires we drastically reduces taxes on the wealthy and everyone works 6 days a week before trying 4?

/s

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Been doing 32 hours 4 days for a few years now and I wouldn't go back to more.
If they'd pay me for 5 days during these 4 days, I'd go down to 3 if possible.

The extra time off is so worth it but you need an employer that allows it and you need a work environment that is also okay with that.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Shorter hours for the same pay? We what's not to like.
I know having that extra day would be a massive help. Something as simple as not having to go to the gym at 8pm after work would be a huge boost for me.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Working an extra 2 hours for 4 days greatly out weights having to work on the 5th day for 8 hours.

Or they can just adjust your pay what you make in 40 hours to 32 hours.

But no more days means more productivity and less days just sitting at home nothing anything. Right now I need a oil change for my car and I'm working 6-7 days straight.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. You get an extra day to get shit done or relax. Adjusting to a 10 hour day isn't that bad. Although you get somewhat diminished productivity for those additional 2 hours. The 12+ hour days is when you mentally have to push yourself and productivity goes out the window, especially if having to do it for prolonged periods of time.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I work 5 days (well first day is only 2 hours long) and the rest of the days roughly 4-6 hours and I get full payed

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would be satisfied with actually only working 40 hours at this point.

Jan 29, 2018
I'm all for it. I could definitely get the same amount of work done and the quality of the work would likely be better if I'm refreshed by perpetual 3 day weekends.

I do wonder about unintended consequences. If everything is open four days a week things like doctor's appointments are going to be backed up a bit. In order for everyone to switch to four day weeks without a decrease in pay you'll also have to sell parents on paying the same amount for just 4 days of daycare, which will rub some the wrong way.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I used to work '4 on 4 off' 10 hour shifts and I loved it. Working through those shifts was easy and i never seem to get mid week humps