• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Since it is portable and supports cross-play, is it safe to say that Fortnite is a better experience on Switch than on PS4?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So is this sony or epics problem? Apparently sony supportsays epic is locking out the content
Epic's wording is clear.

Dfgf22lVAAANUO1.jpg

They are basically say "go blame sony"

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's what this whole thread is about....we can't.

Shoot...I meant Xbox not Switch.

Thanks, can you be logged in on both? I assume not. I mean, could one person play a game on the Xbox while another plays on the Switch at the same time? Same account? Even as I'm typing this out I can see that it wouldn't work...

I wonder what happens if both consoles are put into suspend mode with the game still running.

Testing for you!

You get an error. My Switch loaded the game MUCH faster than Xbox, but when I signed on Xbox, it said "Login Expired or Logged In Elsewhere".

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
So is this sony or epics problem? Apparently sony supportsays epic is locking out the content

Oh, are they? Because that would be funny, since Epic doesnt "lock" content for any other platform linking to any other platform except PS4. So its all a conspiracy from epic and other companies to make sony look bad am i right?

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
I played without my epic account. One odd thing with switch it asked me if I wanted to use my switch friends list but I couldn't seem to get it to work. Wound up getting my friend to search using my email and we added each other. Won my first fortnight game ever last night was 50 vs 50 game sooo fun.

Nooooo! Now you'll never be able to link an epic account to your Nintendo account. You fried that Nintendo account. You should've logged in first!

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Am I the only one that doesn't want crossplay with PC? Surely the keyboard and mouse has a major advantage.
I'm all for every console having crossplay however.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one that doesn't want crossplay with PC? Surely the keyboard and mouse has a major advantage.
I'm all for every console having crossplay however.

You're not the only one. It's been answered a bunch of times. On every platform, cross play with PC players is opt-in meaning you have to specifically match up with PC players yourself. It's never going to drop you into a game with PC players, that decision is on you (if you want to play with PC friends for example).

Also, again, Fortnite on PS4 natively supports keyboard and mouse, going as far as to change all of the in-game prompts and button icons to PC/KB&M prompts when you plug in a USB keyboard or mouse. It fully supports it so if KB&M players are a problem you better avoid the PS4 version too.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017

I think we need to beg Reggie and Phil to make an Epic "look how easy it is to Cross Play" video.

Last edited:

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nooooo! Now you'll never be able to link an epic account to your Nintendo account. You fried that Nintendo account. You should've logged in first!

Wut?

If you have played Fortnite on Switch already:

1. In the upper right corner of the Epic website, click the silhouette icon to to open the sign-in screen.

2. Click the Switch icon on the sign-in screen.

3. A Nintendo sign-in page will open in a new window. Sign into your Nintendo account.

4. When prompted, register with Epic by adding an email address and display name to your Epic account.

https://fortnitehelp.epicgames.com/...nnect-my-nintendo-account-to-my-epic-account-

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Can't answer for the poster in terms of 'most games' but Ubisoft have said that they have a higher attach rate/spend per user on Xbox than PS4. https://www.gamepur.com/news/22092-xbox-one-has-better-software-attach-rate-rather-ps4-ubisoft.html

It's possible other publishers have higher attach rates for the One as well and varies from company to company.

Article was from 2016 so the numbers have changed now since Sony is almost at 80 mill . That's a lot of free to play fortnite gamers.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Your wording was off, but I'm pretty sure you were implying that Microsoft/Nintendo wouldn't have blocked crossplay if they were in Sony's position.

You know what he was trying to say, you're just trying to downplay/deflect this topic like you've done multiple times before ;)

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Sony needs to get their shit together, this is unacceptable. Spent a couple frustrated hours trying to get my son's account to work on Switch, but nope, Sony being draconian assholes. With Fortnite being the juggernaut that it is, if this won't light the fire under their ass to change then nothing will. Fine, keep blocking cross-play, whatever, but locking third party accounts to PS4 is scummy.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
When I play Fortnite on my Nintendo Switch, will my progress carry over to my XBox One X? :)
Yes. The only company currently making the completely stupid, tone deaf, anti-consumer, shameful, spiteful, unjustifiable and greedy decision of blocking progress and purchases from being transferred is Sony. You can move your purchases between Windows, Mac, iPhone, Switch and Xbox One in any direction without any kind of restrictions. Just log in and play.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's possible other publishers have higher attach rates for the One as well and varies from company to company.

Article was from 2016 so the numbers have changed now since Sony is almost at 80 mill . That's a lot of free to play fortnite gamers.

You're totally right of course, I was just offering up some proof to back up that posters claim. You know that attach rate isn't affected by user numbers though right? It's how much money people are paying per user on average. Having 80 million users or having 8 million users, the average spend per user is till very comparable. If there are double the amount of PS4s than Xboxes out there that number won't be double the average spend per user on Xbox.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017

Technically it is both, but Sony is the root cause. However, Epic not providing any warning to alert players that if they move an account to Sony it is locked there and inaccessible on other platforms they had previously used is a huge oversight on their part.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony got this gen but I cant see them going into next gen like this.

MS is going to rub this in sooo much when new consoles are coming. This will be the used games thing next go around.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm pretty torn, crossplay should be allowed.

BUT

If ps4 had crossplay my wife would guilt me into playing on my switch with her and I really hate playing Fortnite.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm bored and I have the Switch next to me. Any Xbox One users want to play? :)

May 17, 2018
Are we expecting every company to do this now, going forward? Like, are we expecting Black Ops 4 progress/purchases to carry over from Xbox and PS4? Or is this only in cases where cross-play is enabled?

Not meaning this to sound like a defense, just, genuinely curious what the market expects after this move from Epic.

gueras

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is so easy to see what's going to happen with sony and ps5.
Blocking crossplay. 5 years to make each exclusive games. 4 e3 of hype for each game.

I have a PS3 feeling very strong.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
Your wording was off, but I'm pretty sure you were implying that Microsoft/Nintendo wouldn't have blocked crossplay if they were in Sony's position.

No, I'm saying that currently Microsoft and Nintendo allow it and Sony doesn't. I'm not interested in what Microsoft or Nintendo would do if they were the market leader, because that's not the case and it won't be for the rest of this generation.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Are we expecting every company to do this now, going forward? Like, are we expecting Black Ops 4 progress/purchases to carry over from Xbox and PS4? Or is this only in cases where cross-play is enabled?

Not meaning this to sound like a defense, just, genuinely curious what the market expects after this move from Epic.

For companies if content is going to be purchased, they don't mind making progression carry over

Unlike games (which you will need to double dip to use the feature anyway), MTX content doesn't really have many double dippers, so without skins carrying over barely anyone is going to buy the same skins on two different systems. Why not facilitate it if it means people will buy more skins? I can see a trend on this sort of thing alright.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Somebody replied to me above and I think I might be wrong. I could've sworn yesterday I read something in game about not being able to link your Nintendo account if you forego it the first time, but I guess I was wrong. Good news for you though!

I'll link again for exposure:

If you have played Fortnite on Switch already:

1. In the upper right corner of the Epic website, click the silhouette icon to to open the sign-in screen.

2. Click the Switch icon on the sign-in screen.

3. A Nintendo sign-in page will open in a new window. Sign into your Nintendo account.

4. When prompted, register with Epic by adding an email address and display name to your Epic account.

Actually, reading it...it does seem like you can't link it now. :/

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Sure pal

I never said they were the majority.

But they are high spend no? They're probably not customers you'd want to piss off as they most likely spend the most. Given they seem to be able to afford the most and would arguably be the more hardcore gamer.

Who also influence others.

You're way over emphasizing how significant these people are though. They're not just a minority but an extreme minority. Then you stack on that the number of multi console owners affected by this are a subset of that minority. Then you stack on that the number of people who are outraged over this are a subset of that and you have a small blip in the scope of the entire user base that this is affected by it. Even if those people influence others, it's still a small scope.

Also sure they might spend more but their spending habits are distributed across multiple platforms anyway so it's not like they're necessarily spending all that on Sony anyway. I say this as a multi platform console owner who not only spends probably more annually than the average person here on this forum on games, but also has multiple units of the same platform. I recognize I'm in the extreme minority and that the people who are shouting about this are the very definition of the vocal minority.

Sony knows this. Sony knows they can get away with this because of how small in numbers these people are. Sony also knows that this will blow over shortly and people will move on because they already did it once before with Minecraft and once before with Rocket League. I want cross platform play just as much as anyone else, but the harsh reality is there's no real incentive for Sony to offer and the examples people give are the same fallacy that people throw out when they claim money is being left on the table because a company won't sell them something for the price that they want it at.

I want cross play too but I recognize the harsh reality of why we are not going to get it anytime soon and Fortnite isn't going to be the game that suddenly changes this. I am by no means saying people shouldn't complain and make their voices be heard, but everyone has to not stop after a few days or a few weeks. The only way this is ever going to be effective is if it grows and doesn't die after everyone loses interest and moves on. I'm only saying people should realize what the harsh realistic outcome is going to be and to not get their hopes up.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
So I couldn't stand Fortnite when I tried it on PC but I'm having a blast playing it on my Switch. And now I really want more multiplayer shooters on this thing.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ah I kinda suck at it anyway just will play casually lol

Actually, reading more:

All of your progress lives on this account, NOT your Nintendo account. The steps below will allow you to promote the account to a full-fledged Epic account. Once you've done that, you can disconnect your Nintendo account and connect it to a different Epic account if you so choose, but you will no longer be able to access your existing progress on Switch.

...it sounds like you maybe can? I don't know. Wording is strange

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
You're way over emphasizing how significant these people are though. They're not just a minority but an extreme minority. Then you stack on that the number of multi console owners affected by this are a subset of that minority. Then you stack on that the number of people who are outraged over this are a subset of that and you have a small blip in the scope of the entire user base that this is affected by it. Even if those people influence others, it's still a small scope.

Also sure they might spend more but their spending habits are distributed across multiple platforms anyway so it's not like they're necessarily spending all that on Sony anyway. I say this as a multi platform console owner who not only spends probably more annually than the average person here on this forum on games, but also has multiple units of the same platform. I recognize I'm in the extreme minority and that the people who are shouting about this are the very definition of the vocal minority.

Sony knows this. Sony knows they can get away with this because of how small in numbers these people are. Sony also knows that this will blow over shortly and people will move on because they already did it once before with Minecraft and once before with Rocket League. I want cross platform play just as much as anyone else, but the harsh reality is there's no real incentive for Sony to offer and the examples people give are the same fallacy that people throw out when they claim money is being left on the table because a company won't sell them something for the price that they want it at.

I want cross play too but I recognize the harsh reality of why we are not going to get it anytime soon and Fortnite isn't going to be the game that suddenly changes this. I am by no means saying people shouldn't complain and make their voices be heard, but everyone has to not stop after a few days or a few weeks. The only way this is ever going to be effective is if it grows and doesn't die after everyone loses interest and moves on. I'm only saying people should realize what the harsh realistic outcome is going to be and to not get their hopes up.
While I agree Sony budging on cross-play is unlikely. This specific example isn't even about cross-play in the end, which is why I don't think it's remotely comparable to Rocket League or Minecraft. We're all pissed off because at some point we linked our PSN account which in turn locked us from ever moving somewhere else without us being aware of that. I don't care about cross-play. In fact I'm not that bothered about keeping progression on PS4, I'd happily unlink if that actually did something. I just want to be able to get the fuck out of their isolated system and be able to use my account elsewhere. Frankly it's insane that we can't do that, Sony shouldn't be allowed to lock our PC purchases into their ioslated system.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Actually, reading more:

...it sounds like you maybe can? I don't know. Wording is strange

I have a question about this, because I too logged in with my Nintendo account thinking a would play one or two games and that's all. What are the advantages of having it linked to an Epic account? Just that you can carry it over to other platforms or is there something else?

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While I agree Sony budging on cross-play is unlikely. This specific example isn't even about cross-play in the end, which is why I don't think it's remotely comparable to Rocket League or Minecraft. We're all pissed off because at some point we linked our PSN account which in turn locked us from ever moving somewhere else without us being aware of that. I don't care about cross-play. In fact I'm not that bothered about keeping progression on PS4, I'd happily unlink if that actually did something. I just want to be able to get the fuck out of their isolated system and be able to use my account elsewhere. Frankly it's insane that we can't do that, Sony shouldn't be allowed to lock our PC purchases into their ioslated system.

This is where I'm at. I'd gladly wipe my progress and purchases if I could remove the PSN link (well, maybe not gladly). I would never have linked in the first place if I had known this would happen.