Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I have a soft spot for heavy-handed, sincere anime dialogue. JRPGs are my favorite game genre, after all. The type of dialogue I REALLY don't like is the Marvel/Joss Whedon/everything is a quip and snappy and witty kind of dialogue. And that's kind of the impression I got from this. Still looks like a fun game, though! And it could be more down to the editing, I could see it being better in the game itself.
Yeah, i just can't stand all this shitty constant swearing-quipping-being sassy-look how much i'm selfaware kind of dialogue, it's just so cringe and extenuating.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
i am amazed this has three pages of people decrying 36 seconds of dialogue so much that it has fueled their main talking point about the game.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Reminded of those posts I'd see about Life is Strange where people would be like "nobody talks like that! Nobody uses hella!" while giving shifty eyes at the posts as someone who regularly talks like that lmao.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was already on board in a big way given the visuals, the traversal and type of game, but the latest info is just cherry on top.
Very excited!

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Bear McCreary and Garry Schyman are a fascinating combination for the soundtrack. They're both such extraordinary talents in their own right, but their work is so different stylistically. Very curious for the result.

re: the dialogue, the way it was edited into the trailer didn't do it any favors, particularly the audio of Frey reacting to her new found powers overlaid with footage of her in combat. If the same dialogue was from a cutscene with Frey reacting to her powers for the first time (which it seems like it was from one of the scenes in the trailer), it'd be less corny. I really liked the the cutscenes at the beginning when Frey was in New York, and the dialogue felt a lot more natural there. Homer the cat! Looking forward to seeing more. I always forget Gary Whitta does have a gaming background in writing, but I still have to admit I hope Amy Henning is taking more of a lead in the writing department here.

Positively, really excited for Frey as a lead, the gameplay looks really fun, and I'm also loving the attention to detail with Frey's motions when she triggers abilities in combat -- the ice/blizzard attack in the combat towards the end of the trailer looks amazing.

Jun 11, 2019
Reminded of those posts I'd see about Life is Strange where people would be like "nobody talks like that! Nobody uses hella!" while giving shifty eyes at the posts as someone who regularly talks like that lmao.
personally, i just think it's kinda funny how alot of people here are getting so worked up over corny dialogue in some video game trailer

not to say, it's immune to criticizing ofc but i'd be lying if i said it wasn't hard to have anything amounting to a substantive opinion about the writing other than vague impressions imo

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
The game looks fun, the music seems really good. Not sure if it's going to come together as a cohesive masterpiece, I'm very interested. You can see the potential there.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the dialogue was fine and fun, it fit the tone they'd established in the last two trailers. The writing team behind it is solid and the game looked good fun. Additionally really happy to see a diverse cast in the game. Looking forward to this one, it has a lot of potential.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Hope folks here didn't watch the Marvel Midnight gameplay video that came out recently if we talking corny!
Not as cringe as the anime nonsense you get from most jrpgs.
We have to save Seth!
Seth...
Seth...we have to save her, onee-chan
The teaser had a single line of dialogue, and spawned a 30 page thread about how the word fuck is inappropriate for an rpg.
now she just says "freaking"

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Wow, those initial posts made me think I was in for something truly awful, but the dialogue seemed fine to me, if a bit Whedon-esque.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Follow up being the writer on two incredibly beloved games with a cut together 30 seconds in a trailer that aren't very good and era sure can turn on you completely.

I guess Uncharted 2 isn't the darling it used to be, huh?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm having flashbacks to the trailers/gameplay reveals of Horizon where people complained that Aloy talked too much and had weird dialog and all of her talking was cringey.

It's going to be fine, folks.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Follow up being the writer on two incredibly beloved games with a cut together 30 seconds in a trailer that aren't very good and era sure can turn on you completely.

Well, (almost) nobody is saying that Amy is a bad writer.
The dialogues in the trailer are pretty awful, but maybe Amy hasn't even written any of those lines herself. Or maybe those lines somehow work better in context. We don't know.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
My interest just went up quite a bit, really excited to see where Amy takes a story written in this type of world

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018

No, as the post above you substantiates the scant few lines in this trailer are now entirely indicative of her career and any pretense at things we once thought were written by her is now gone. Obviously this trailer destroyed the writing credibility of anyone associated with it

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
No, as the post above you substantiates the scant few lines in this trailer are now entirely indicative of her career and any pretense at things we once thought were written by her is now gone. Obviously this trailer destroyed the writing credibility of anyone associated with it

You'd think after writing Soul Reaver she would have a free pass for life, I guess not

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Racism, dismissing concerns of representation across a series of posts
Hate to be that guy but as much as I wanna look forward to this game the idea of them using a black main character and not having any black writers(please correct me if I'm wrong) rubs me the wrong way

This new "woke trend" about having every character be the exact same as the people writing it, or acting it, or voicing it needs to die!!

As I said before, the very day that we see yellow people voicing the Simpsons, green people voicing Gamora or a rabbit voicing Bugs bunny, I will affect that trend.

If some of it sounds ridiculous it's because it is. The very essence of writing and acting, is the ability to be, do, create something you are not!

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
This new "woke trend" about having every character be the exact same as the people writing it, or acting it, or voicing it needs to die!!

As I said before, the very day that we see yellow people voicing the Simpsons, green people voicing Gamora or a rabbit voicing Bugs bunny, I will affect that trend.

If some of it sounds ridiculous it's because it is. The very essence of writing and acting, is the ability to be, do, create something you are not!
Someone wants black writers to better represent black characters in media and you bust out green people and cartoon rabbits...

Ware

Jun 3, 2020

man, what a bad and insensitive take

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018

Oof.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere

Hmm yeah you can go fuck yourself.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really like Amy Henning's writing across the Uncharted games.

Hopefully the trailer isn't super representative of the in-game writing.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019

Hey, don't have anything to say about this game. Just popping in to say this post was written by an idiot.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
This game is being unfairly judged because its westernized i feel.

Because people aren't this critical of bad dialogue and writing in other JRPGS

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Bear McCreary the god. God of War's soundtrack was great and Battlestar Galactica's was one of the best in television.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
This game is being unfairly judged because its westernized i feel.

Because people aren't this critical of bad dialogue and writing in other JRPGS
I think part of the problem in that regard is that it's a game from Square Enix. People who are fans of Square probably have a greater affinity for jrpgs than they do Marvel esque writing.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Someone wants black writers to better represent black characters in media and you bust out green people and cartoon rabbits...

Being better represented doesn't mean they need to force it. There is NOTHING wrong to have a white person voicing a black character, and there is NOTHING wrong having a black person voicing a white character.

Every people regardless of race deserves a chance to have work, but it doesn't mean that if the black person gets the job has to voice a black character only.

People are acting as if it has to be MANDATORY to have a black character voiced by a black person.

I believe the people you choose to voice your character (or act in a movie) doesn't have anything to do abut race.

My comment about green people and rabbits is ridiculous, because that's how ridiculous this situation is. Why do actors have to step down from a job they've been doing for years, only because some people complain that their race doesn't match the character? So that's where, by their logic, a yellow character like the Simpsons, need to be voiced by a yellow person. (Since there are no yellow persons, of course it's ridiculous). People don't seem to mind that Bart Simpson (as well as many kid characters) are voiced by women. It shouldn't matter who voices the character, but they make a fuss when it's convenient for them.

There are movies where you do have to MATCH the race of the character for it to make sense, and they still don't care and they hire whatever actor they want, but in these situations don't care! Just as there are moments where gender-bending a character or race-bending a character is ok, there are other instances that are not, and many people don't care about it.

The comment from the post I replied, saying that it's weird that there is a black character but not black writers, it's way more out of touch. So now a white person cannot write a black character correctly? Is the other way around also true?

My conclusion is: Why can't we just enjoy what we have! We get this character, so let's enjoy it for who the character is, not all the mumbo jumbo that happens in the background!

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018

where did all this come from?

the game has a black female MC which is great

but having black writers would elevate the experience

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not as cringe as the anime nonsense you get from most jrpgs.
Right??

How are people freaking out about this kinda-lame-but-still-pretty-whatever dialogue when most JRPGs have far, far worse dialogue and VA? I am completely mystified lol

Like Tales of Arise is getting glowing reviews and impressions and that shit was horrendous

Ehhh, it's debatable, at least jrpg dialogue is sincere...
Wat. "Sincere"? What the hell does that even mean

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

Do you know why "woke trend" exists? It's precisely because of the bolded. People only wrote bald white dudes as heroes for the longest time, and we never had diversity and representation in video games outside of some margins. Now that is changing with better representation, and you suddenly want to go back to the good ol days?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Enjoy your ban, dumbass.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017

bye racist

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Really? You wouldn't know if from the dialogue. Though it does seem they've toned back some of the absurd profanity…only to replace it with "freaking" instead, lol.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
The dialogue was bad, but the writing team is super talented, I believe the final product shall be way better

Jun 11, 2019

what in the shit is this