• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 26, 2020
So Sony didn't even have a legitimate reason for switching the confirm and cancel button in japan? It was just bs internal politics. Strange how Nintendo doesn't seem to have this problem where regional employees are trying to snuff each other out for supremacy.

That has more to do with corporate culture. NCL (Nintendo in Japan) pretty much decides all the big stuff. Every decision goes through them. I think the local officies of sony has more control in that regard, so also more conflict

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The Vita was such a good little handheld honestly. I really got good use out of mine, despite it ultimately being an indie machine.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You could tell the writing was on the wall for PSV in '17 because they stopped letting its games get mass discounts. I will never not be salty about this entire thing. I feel like if Nintendo managed to turn things around for 3DS and even supported the clearly failing proposition that was the Wii U until late in its life cycle, then Sony could and should have put more force behind it too.

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
At least have them port Uncharted: Golden Abyss to PS4/PS5 then, dammit. The Vita is dead, and a 'new' Uncharted game is a license to print money 😒 I like Sony's AAA $100 million budget games, but I'd like some variety too. Oh well, we'll see.

Totally. I think their AAA output is excellent. Hell, some of my favorite games ever made were part of their AAA lineup. Still, I am pretty fond of a lot of their less glitzy IPs. I wish they saw the value in also producing games with lower budgets that earn them a moderate profit. If I were to choose between getting one more Uncharted or getting another Gravity Rush, MediEvil, and another new (but smaller in budget) IP, I would take the variety over the blockbuster. But that is the frustrating thing, they don't have to choose. They are quite capable of doing both at the same time. They just had a great run starting from the last couple of years of the PS3 to the end of the PS4. But it feels like they are heading in an unfortunate direction. Worse yet, these companies never course correct until shit blows up in their faces. Ugh...

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This all feels like common sense to me, but you still have gamers talking as if Sony makes these decisions to fuck with people rather than because, you know, they're a business.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand the push-pull between sentiment and sales. Obviously sales need to come first. However, I think it is a horrible mistake to completely ignore the sentiment side of things. I suspect there are intangible factors tied to that sentiment angle, that aren't necessarily easy to track, that help sales in general. Like, a variety of well-liked games helps build the prestige of a brand. Sure, some of those games may not make nearly as much money if they are more niche, but they will still build their own dedicated fanbases (if the game is of a high quality) and help fill out a console's roster of games. Basically, I worry that Sony has forgotten how to play a little small ball here and there, and has instead fallen in love with the home run.

I was just thinking today I really think that prestige is EXACTLY what got them that momentum to finally eek out a lead at the end of the ps360 gen from being way behind. They then ROAD that brand onto a pretty straight forward console with the PS4.

This shit matters, a lot. I feel like the execs have like, viewed the entirety of that brand on the big sellers like Naughty Dog games, but it wasn't. Those were just the foremost ships. The big talking points. But they were part of a big sea of quality exclusives. It doesn't work if you only have those games. You need the variety to fill it out. That's how you build a brand. A feeling built on a cloud of info.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Really interested to see what Sony's next blowout on games is like. Big hitters? Great. But I'd be a bit sad if there aren't the unexpected/out of left field titles.

Obviously this stuff can't course correct overnight but I also wonder, if they do have a narrow focus, how aware they are of the reaction in enthusiast circles.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
was it already publicly known that sony had disabled the ability for devs to put their vita games on sale?

Yeah, this is the thing that leapt out at me more than anything else tbh.

A lot of the other things they've been doing as a company lately has been fairly baffling, but this is straight up dumb and almost vindictive. They'd rather not sell any extra games to their existing user base and make money out of it because they'd rather that audience NOT continue to use their Vitas? Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. At this point it's practically free money they are rejecting for really quite stupid reasons.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Backwards compatibility is one of the most requested and least used features. I don't know what Jim specifically said about how little it was used, but that is true by the numbers we had.

This is the stupidest fucking logic. If it's the MOST REQUESTED feature, why do they give a shit if people use it or not? "Oh no, it would make the fans happy and might drive more sales for our platform, but we don't think they actually use it enough." Also, if people aren't playing old games on it, that's good you idiots because it means they're buying new games. I hate corporate beancounters.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
It's so weird, living in Japan I always assumed Vita was doing okay; there are CUBIC SHITLOADS of Vita games in any used game store. Wonder what the balance was between the US and Japan; it was 16M total but I can't find per-region sales.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's the MOST REQUESTED feature, why do they give a shit if people use it or not?
Being the loudest voice != being the representative of the community.

For example, if THE ENTIRETY of ResetEra (as an example of a very vocal and important community in games) screamed to the heavens about backwards compatibility, if we went rabid here, on social media, everywhere about playing their PS3 games on a PS5, and we were the only ones to use the feature...

wlZyUNK.png

.... merely 50.000 users would use it. Out of an estimated 100 million consoles they will sell.

Of course, in reality, more people would use it. But really, we need to understand that the enthuastic people like Era or Reddit or whatever are a very very loud minority. We are not representative of 90% of the people that buy consoles or games.

Normal people want their PS5 to play the newest FIFA, GTA, COD.
Not FIFA 15 and COD World at War.

What Xbox is doing is not adding BC to mainly have more sales, but they're doing it as a reaffirmation of the idea of "Xbox as an unique platform".

Now, don't think I believe Sony is not misguided in this, Xbox has the right idea.
But on a pure business focus, BC is a small small thing, and people should understand that.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
This is the stupidest fucking logic. If it's the MOST REQUESTED feature, why do they give a shit if people use it or not? "Oh no, it would make the fans happy and might drive more sales for our platform, but we don't think they actually use it enough." Also, if people aren't playing old games on it, that's good you idiots because it means they're buying new games. I hate corporate beancounters.

The presence of BC was a HUGE selling point when PS2 came out; everyone was like hell yeah I can toss out my old shit. It ABSOLUTELY drove sales.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
By what metric?

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking today I really think that prestige is EXACTLY what got them that momentum to finally eek out a lead at the end of the ps360 gen from being way behind. They then ROAD that brand onto a pretty straight forward console with the PS4.

This shit matters, a lot. I feel like the execs have like, viewed the entirety of that brand on the big sellers like Naughty Dog games, but it wasn't. Those were just the foremost ships. The big talking points. But they were part of a big sea of quality exclusives. It doesn't work if you only have those games. You need the variety to fill it out. That's how you build a brand. A feeling built on a cloud of info.

OT but your avatar is incredible.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Being the loudest voice != being the representative of the community.

For example, if THE ENTIRETY of ResetEra (as an example of a very vocal and important community in games) screamed to the heavens about backwards compatibility, if we went rabid here, on social media, everywhere about playing their PS3 games on a PS5, and we were the only ones to use the feature...

wlZyUNK.png

.... merely 50.000 users would use it. Out of an estimated 100 million consoles they will sell.

Of course, in reality, more people would use it. But really, we need to understand that the enthuastic people like Era or Reddit or whatever are a very very loud minority. We are not representative of 90% of the people that buy consoles or games.

What Xbox is doing is not adding BC to mainly have more sales, but they're doing it as a reaffirmation of the idea of "Xbox as an unique platform".

Now, don't think I believe Sony is not misguided in this, Xbox has the right idea.
But on a pure business focus, BC is a small small thing, and people should understand that.
I think you completely missed my point. People want shit for all sorts of impractical reasons. People spend loads of money on stuff they never use. If people buy a PS5 and don't end up playing as many PS2 games as they thought they would... oops they already bought a PS5.
I am quoting the supposed insider in the OP.

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If people buy a PS5 and don't end up playing many PS3 games as they thought they would... oops they already bought a PS5.
No, I got your point perfectly, but you didn't get mine.

My point is that the ones that actually request the BC are not the problem, even if they don't end up using it. The problem is that they're resources (time and money) used for something that won't matter for the rest.

If the ones that scream the loudest seem more than what they are, you develop a feature that is interesting for maybe 1M people, but not for the other 99M users that will buy the console. You won't win more people, and you developed something that's not useful for you sales wise or most of the people that have your console.

A dead end.
Specially if you are Sony, and you want people to buy PlayStation 5, not "PlayStation as a platform" like Xbox does.

Which is why I said this before:

We (as in "enthuastic users") are not the general market. We have to understand that.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
First and foremost, you have to understand that any game sales the majority of its copies at its launch. There are exceptions to this trend (like games that go through a re-launch, i.e. FFXIV or No Man's Sky), but it holds true 99% of the time.

Second, around the time I was leaving, some Vita games were selling under 1,000 copies in their launch week. It's hard to point the finger at any one cause for this, but we'd theorized it was the result of the quality of the games, the userbase, and the rise of the hack scene.

Third, there's more to running a digital storefront than just keeping servers online. Payment systems require a lot of technical maintenance and deprecated systems provide easy attack vectors for sensitive information. And there's a TON of work involved in making sure everyone gets their money when sales are processed.

I can't say for sure whether the "cost" and "profit" lines ever fully crossed, but I can say that in conjunction with the other reasons I've outlined Sony was pretty ready to be done with the Vita.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Makes sense really.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
No, I got your point perfectly, but you didn't get mine.

My point is that the ones that actually request the BC are not the problem, even if they don't end up using it. The problem is that they're resources (time and money) used for something that won't matter for the rest.

If the ones that scream the loudest seem more than what they are, you develop a feature that is interesting for maybe 1M people, but not for the other 99M users that will buy the console. You won't win more people, and you developed something that's not useful for you sales wise or most of the people that have your console.

A dead end.
Specially if you are Sony, and you want people to buy PlayStation 5, not "PlayStation as a platform" like Xbox does.

Which is why I said this before:

We (as in "enthuastic users") are not the general market. We have to understand that.
ok, then your argument doesn't make any sense, unless you have inside information. The supposed insider in the OP said it's ONE OF THE MOST requested features. Not the least. Most. What does that have to do with this forum? What?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Every time I hear people talk about how backwards compatibility is unpopular my eyes nearly roll out my head.

How many people with a PS5 or XSX/S are not playing BC games? Virtually none. It was and is an absolute nonsense argument when a generation of consoles launched without it.

If you give people BC and make it work properly it will be used.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I am quoting the supposed insider in the OP.
Yea but it seems like it's the most requested feature by a specific group of people rather than by the general audience. You mentioned that adding BC would drive sales but wouldn't catering to the broader needs of the people do even more to drive sales?

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The PS3 went out with a bang in 2013. Last of Us was the biggest one but it wasn't the only one.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is the thing that leapt out at me more than anything else tbh.

A lot of the other things they've been doing as a company lately has been fairly baffling, but this is straight up dumb and almost vindictive. They'd rather not sell any extra games to their existing user base and make money out of it because they'd rather that audience NOT continue to use their Vitas? Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. At this point it's practically free money they are rejecting for really quite stupid reasons.

and consider if you're a company who also made games for the thing, supported it and earned sony money on the platform. they won't let you discount games you put the work into.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ok, then your argument doesn't make any sense, unless you have inside information. The supposed insider in the OP said it's ONE OF THE MOST requested features. Not the least. Most. What does that have to do with this forum? What?
What? Who said it was the least requested? I honestly think you're not reading my posts.

Or worse, do you really think Joe Normal goes to the Playstation Blog and request for backwards compatibility? You really think that the people that demand features to console makers are anyone else than the enthuastic users?

Because if you really think that, it's quite laughable.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Yea but it seems like it's the most requested feature by a specific group of people rather than by the general audience.
Why would you interpret it that way?

You mentioned that adding BC would drive sales but wouldn't catering to the broader needs of the people do even more to drive sales?
You can't do both?

What? Who said it was the least requested? I honestly think you're not reading my posts.

Or worse, do you really think Joe Normal goes to the Playstation Blog and request for backwards compatibility? You really think that the people that demand features to console makers are anyone else than the enthuastic users?

Because if you really think that, it's quite laughable.
... what?

Oct 27, 2017
Totally. I think their AAA output is excellent. Hell, some of my favorite games ever made were part of their AAA lineup. Still, I am pretty fond of a lot of their less glitzy IPs. I wish they saw the value in also producing games with lower budgets that earn them a moderate profit. If I were to choose between getting one more Uncharted or getting another Gravity Rush, MediEvil, and another new (but smaller in budget) IP, I would take the variety over the blockbuster. But that is the frustrating thing, they don't have to choose. They are quite capable of doing both at the same time. They just had a great run starting from the last couple of years of the PS3 to the end of the PS4. But it feels like they are heading in an unfortunate direction. Worse yet, these companies never course correct until shit blows up in their faces. Ugh...

Sure. We'll just have to see how it goes. From a business POV it makes sense to focus on the tentpole releases that sell 10+ million copies, but the smaller games like MediEvil that still managed to sell well added variety to their lineup.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Still ignoring the entirety of the three posts I've written.

Wonderful dude.
Your posts are claiming that these requests could have only possibly come from a tiny hardcore base residing on a single forum, yet you apparently have no idea how people in business gather product requirements.

Because it being the most requested and least used feature is an oxymoron.

That would be ideal but I don't have access to their finances or schedule so it's hard to say.
I don't think it's oxymoronic at all.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Every time I hear people talk about how backwards compatibility is unpopular my eyes nearly roll out my head.

How many people with a PS5 or XSX/S are not playing BC games? Virtually none. It was and is an absolute nonsense argument when a generation of consoles launched without it.

If you give people BC and make it work properly it will be used.

I think it was probably a lot more true at the beginning of the 360/PS3 era than it is now. Generations were a lot more well defined, people buying new consoles wanted to play new games. Additionally back then it was way easier to buy the last-gen consoles for cheap, so if you just wanted to play some PS2 games you could pick up a PS2 for under 100$ (probably well under that if you were buying used). They also didn't have the advantage of performance boosts, and on the 360 it wasn't uncommon if BC Xbox games had performance issues.

Now generations are a lot more iterative and just getting better running versions of stuff you've already been playing is a major selling point.

I will say that I don't think pre-PS4 BC would be used much, though. But it would still be nice to have. I see no reason not to have the ability to play PS1 discs off an internal emulator or something.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
Expected more sensationalist hyperbole coming into this thread considering the rethoric around on Sony. Glad to see an adult actually talking and reasoning like an adult.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo are dominant in Japan due to the mobile crowd. If we had a breakdown of Switch sales I expected the mobile only console would be 70% of the sales. Nintendo has a huge loyal DS/3DS fanbase to tap into which Sony does not. Vita only lasted as long as it did was because of the small Vita crowd in Japan.
We have a break down of Switch models sales in Japan (sell-through by Famitsu):
Switch (hybrid): 15.630.549 (81.3%)
Switch Lite (handheld only): 3.589.875 (18.7%)

Old people are too used to the old dichotomy between home consoles and handheld consoles, which started with the NES/GB, to understand that the Switch success is based on making that old convention obsolete, all for the gain of the end user (which don't care about that convention and just want to play console games as much as possible therefore a hybrid console that adapt to your lifestyle is a very entincing proposition).

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your posts are claiming that these requests could have only possibly come from a tiny hardcore base residing on a single forum, yet you apparently have no idea how people in business gather product requirements.
Again, no one said a single forum. That's what "For example" means in my first post, which you, again, clearly didn't read.

But you do you, man, if you still want to think a regular dude who just wants to play the newest FIFA on his shiny new console fills the surveys PlayStation sends him with "please, BC is a MUST", have a blast!

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So Sony didn't even have a legitimate reason for switching the confirm and cancel button in japan? It was just bs internal politics. Strange how Nintendo doesn't seem to have this problem where regional employees are trying to snuff each other out for supremacy.

That's because technically, Nintendo has already done that. Or at least, they never operated in the same way PlayStation does. NCL has all the meaningful decision making power. NoE, NoA etc. are glorified marketing and local action divisions. As far as products and development, they have very little sway and their role is really to appropriate Nintendo's messaging and brand for the regions they look after.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
and consider if you're a company who also made games for the thing, supported it and earned sony money on the platform. they won't let you discount games you put the work into.

Yeah, I'd be really pissed off if I were those studios.

Perhaps I should rephrase the saying. It's not just Sony cutting their nose off to spite their face, they are also cutting the nose off the faces the group of people standing next to them.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I think it was probably a lot more true at the beginning of the 360/PS3 era than it is now. Generations were a lot more well defined, people buying new consoles wanted to play new games. Additionally back then it was way easier to buy the last-gen consoles for cheap, so if you just wanted to play some PS2 games you could pick up a PS2 for under 100$ (probably well under that if you were buying used). They also didn't have the advantage of performance boosts, and on the 360 it wasn't uncommon if BC Xbox games had performance issues.

Now generations are a lot more iterative and just getting better running versions of stuff you've already been playing is a major selling point.

I will say that I don't think pre-PS4 BC would be used much, though. But it would still be nice to have. I see no reason not to have the ability to play PS1 discs off an internal emulator or something.
It's just so easy to say something that didn't exist wouldn't be used much but now that it's there it's used but not for the very obvious fact that it's actually you know there, but these other reasons.

Games do not simply stop being wanted or playable because a new gen comes along.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just for those memory cards to become the very reason for people to deliberately go out and find a way to use SD cards. Those memory cards were (and still are) such a terrible design choice. Combined with those ridiculous prices that really started to climb recently!

Mar 18, 2020
Your average JP gamer barely recognizes SIE as a Japanese company because it's controlled by SIEA. They've been restructured so much because of financial and political nonsense that it makes communicating with these people a chore.

You can't compare it to Nintendo where all of the IP and development muscle is centralized

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
That sound's like an issue that could be fixed with the SDK. Just have the games poll for the confirm/cancel buttons and the onscreen prompts are handled by the OS.
You'll find that's the case when it's native prompts but games are not forced to use the native SDKs for the UI within the game itself as it's bespoke for the game. They can talk to a native SDK layer that will provide them the right button to prompt but that has to be a conscious decision by the developer to use it.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Hiroshi Yamauchi shaped up Nintendo around traits he thought were the best to make his company succesfull.
Japan making all the decision (NoJ doesn't exists, what exists is Nintendo Co Ltd or NCL), making products that are unique, be a platform holder that don't depend on outside companies it all started with Yamauchi.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Playstation managment wise to me is now the most simillar to late Xbox 360/early Xbox One MS. Slow abandonment of Japan after the early days of 360, concentracte on blockbusters like Halo, Forza, Gears and 3rd party games like CoD or GTA, project existing for the sake of the multimedia TV/Movie push like The Last of Us Remake while MS at that time had an obsession with Xbox being a multimedia device hyping up Halo TV series or making Quantum Break.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

I'm guessing their logic is if it's not used then it's not worth investing. I am curious where they are pulling their data though. They couldn't see how the PS2 was used with its PS1 BC. Could they see it on the PS3? They quickly removed it with newer models. The PS4 only really has PS2 games that you have to buy again. That shouldn't count as BC. Are they looking at the vita and PSP BC?

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
His comparison with Metroid is flawed because Nintendo continued to make Metroid games. It is telling of the mentality of each company nowadays.

Sony abandons products that are profitable if they are not as profitable as they hope, or as profitable as other products. It's sad because they are the ones setting those goals in the first place. It's one of the issues of capitalism that Sony is embracing too much, perhaps a sign of moving from Japan to America over the years: making money doing what you love is not enough, you need to make a shit ton of money, even if that implies painful sacrifices along the way.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Playstation managment wise to me is now the most simillar to late Xbox 360/early Xbox One MS. Slow abandonment of Japan after the early days of 360, concentracte on blockbusters like Halo, Forza, Gears and 3rd party games like CoD or GTA, project existing for the sake of the multimedia TV/Movie push like The Last of Us Remake while MS at that time had an obsession with Xbox being a multimedia device.
Not true at all. PS still has and definitely has Japanese 3rd party support unless Nintendo come up with something as powerful as PS5. (Nintendo: lol nope)