Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Guys I'm starting to think that era is fueled by negativity. People still mad at the guy for saving 2 million after he just gave away 9 billion? I mean come on.

I'm not mr. positivity or anything but the guy did the right thing and people are still angry somehow.
Some of these responses scream anger and jealousy. The man gave away most of his fortune do you expect him to have $0 dollars and die in a ditch?
Please read the actual content of the posts being critical about him. It doesn't help that the article title is ass by painting someone with 2 million dollars as broke.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Please provide a definition where 2M in net worth in the US makes you part of the middle class.

The escape from upper class is truly the most important political endeavors of our time.
It's pretty simple. If the definition of upper middle class goes up to the 98th percentile and a 2 million net worth puts you in the 95th percentile, then by that criteria, someone with 2 million net worth is in the upper middle class.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually in camp 3

Billionaires shouldn't exist in the first place because they exploit the fuck out of laborers and people ignoring that fact and trying to paint this dude as a good guy while ignoring how he accumulated all his wealth is silly.

Yeah look good on the guy for doing what he thought was right I guess but he is a prime example of the core wrongs that created that wealth in the first place

-Amasses Billions on the backs of his employees
-Gets praised on Reset era for being a hero

The 2 million isn't the problem, the amassing billions is. He should have never been in the position to give away billions in the first place. If he's such a hero why did he amass 9 billion dollars instead of passing the profits and wages onto his employees during the however many decades it took to get that much money?

Yep. Its a privelege to clear your conscience after the fact. The damage is done

Let me be clear. Feeney seems like a genuinely good person and its not like he could have done much about the systemic problems that created him so he did the next best thing

People still want the laser pointer on systemic change and Feeney reads like a humble enough person to agree with that

astro

Oct 25, 2017
2m still means you have to watch your finances. You probably don't own multiple homes or anything ridiculously extravagant. It's not fuck-you money. It just isn't. As I said, it's still enough to live nicely, but on the scale of wealth it is still pretty low. A quick Google search tells me roughly 2.3% of American households have a net worth of 2 million or more. It doesn't put you in the "1%"

edit: Just to be clear for anyone calling me out of touch. My net worth is nowhere close to 2m lol. But my parents did send me to a private high school where I was around real wealth. Kids' parents who founded and sold companies, CEOs of mid-sized corporations etc. People worth $10s of millions or more. I feel like I've gotten to observe different scales of wealth first-hand. Not everyone at the school came from that background, but it was definitely there.

It is not "pretty low" on the scale of wealth... how is 2.3% of Americans "pretty low".

Again, this is amazingly oit of touch.

In my area of London $1mil will buy you a 2 bedroom terraced house at best. He will obviously live very well but he isn't exactly going to be lording it over the rest of us with that sum of money.
And yet, it is still very rich...

This isn't even debatable.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
Speaking of working in retail let's look at what his company pays retail workers

Screenshot_20200916-133704_Chrome.jpg

As the pandemic highlighted retail workers are essential and they should be paid a living wage. This guy refused to pay his retail workers a living wage, became a billionaire off the labor of others and people in here are defending him.
Agree that the sheer existence of billionaires lays bare our broken system, but will point out for the sake of accuracy that this guy doesn't seem to have any stake in the company's current incarnation; he apparently transferred 100% of his ownership to his philanthropy foundation back in '84. Now, whether or not his foundation had any say in employee wages in DFS Group however is a different question of course (how does ownership of shares in a company work when your organization's goal is philanthropy for instance), but we'd need to go trawling through records that I don't understand in order to answer that question.
At the end of the day, the fact that this guy was able to become a billionaire most definitely speaks to his willingness to exploit labor in service to capitalism, but at least he doesn't seem actively evil like Bezos or Zuck, or at least had some sort of change of heart after becoming a billionaire.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty simple. If the definition of upper middle class goes up to the 98th percentile and a 2 million net worth puts you in the 95th percentile, then by that criteria, someone with 2 million net worth is in the upper middle class.

Well, if it is easy - please show me an agency or research center who uses a calculation method / measure that would put a person with a net worth of 2M in the middle class. I'm not talking about income. I'm talking about net wealth.

z e r t

Oct 27, 2017
Please read the actual content of the posts being critical about him. It doesn't help that the article title is ass by painting someone with 2 million dollars as broke.

I understand criticizing the article title, 2 million isn't broke I agree with that. I also understand the criticism to the system that let him get to 9 billion dollars in the first place and I really don't know if the dude was a shitty person or how he was as a boss with his employees. All that I'm saying is that giving away all your fortune over the years seems like the right thing to do and he did it and some people are still angry at him.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
And yet, it is still very rich...

This isn't even debatable.

The definition of what counts as rich is very debatable as shown on this forum where people think making 6 figures makes you rich. Everyone has different definitions and criteria of what makes you rich and what doesn't and there is no hard number that makes you rich in most cases because you there's nuance to it with a number of factors such as how old you are, where you live, etc.

Well, if it is easy - please show me an agency or research center who uses a calculation method / measure that would put a person with a net worth of 2M in the middle class. I'm not talking about income. I'm talking about net wealth.

Well here's a chart showing the breakdown of where the population falls:

upper-middle.png

And here's one stating that 2 million net worth puts you in the 93 percentile:

• $2,000,000 in wealth is around the 93.5% in America. Around 8,188,810 households or so matched this net worth or more.

dqydj.com

Net Worth Percentile Calculator – United States (and Average)

Wealth percentile calculator for you to compare to United States data, and see top one percent, average, and median. What net worth percentile are you?

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

dqydj.com

Who Are the Top One Percent by Income or Net Worth in 2024? - DQYDJ

You hear about them often - but who are the top one percent? See stats for top one percent for income & net worth in America in 2024.

Actually, 2 million would put him around the top 5%.

In the US, anyway. But that's not really going to change the opinion of the vast majority of the people in this thread, is it?

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
For those confused on why many here aren't just satisfied with the story of an old billionaire giving away his billions over a lifetime, I recommend the following:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/plutocratic-politics-and-the-age-of-gilded-giving/2018/11/30/3eaac158-f41e-11e8-bc79-68604ed88993_story.html
Our era of gaping inequality may be a foe to civic concord, but it is a friend to private philanthropy. Every passing month seems to bring an announcement about a new mega-donation — Michael Bloomberg's $1.8 billion gift to Johns Hopkins University being just the most recent to make headlines. The hoopla surrounding announcements like Bloomberg's reveals our fascination with gifts of that scale. It also highlights a distressing trend in American philanthropy: the rising dominance of the wealthy in overall charitable giving.

The trend toward "Gilded Giving" is the subject of a new report by the Institute for Policy Studies . It confirms that we have shifted from broad participation in charity to an increasing dependence on the giving of the wealthy.
Consider the mechanics of the charitable tax deduction, a century-old staple of American tax law: The incentive to give rises along with the donor's income and tax rate. If a taxpayer earns the median individual income of $31,000 and is taxed at a 15 percent marginal rate, for instance (the 2017 figure), then a $1,000 donation will effectively cost her only $850. But someone netting $300,000 annually and paying a 39 percent marginal rate can make the same $1,000 donation — to the same charity, ostensibly producing the same social benefit — at an effective cost of only $690.

In other words, it costs wealthy people less to participate in the time-honored and virtuous act of giving. Why should we target a giving incentive at the people who need it the least? If Bloomberg's income this year is large enough to allow him to deduct the value of his $1.8 billion gift, then the billionaire's donation will be proportionately more subsidized than that of any middle-class donor to Johns Hopkins (or any nonprofit).

Props to the old billionaire for reducing his harm to society (all billionaires by merely existing are doing direct harm to our systems and culture), but philanthropy like this only reminds us that the system is rigged and utterly broke.

We're not so much hating the player in this particular thread as we are hating the game.

So yeah, in threads like these, expect those who have little and nothing to focus more on the system than the individual.
gilded-age.jpg

btw, 2 million dollars still safely puts this guy in that ballroom, and the suffering down below is still continuing and growing.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
There's also the fact that DFS group is still paying a lot of its employees below a living wage.

www.glassdoor.com

DFS Group Sales Associate Salaries

Average salaries for DFS Group Sales Associate: $17. DFS Group salary trends based on salaries posted anonymously by DFS Group employees.
That's why it's hard to look at all these rich peoples "donations" anything other than a publicity stunt. Sorry to break the news to most folks but if rich people just pay their taxes they would do a lot more for this world than just donating to random charity's. I think people forget that low income programs that help out the needy are all funded by taxes and if we just tax the rich 5% then a lot of problems would be solved.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The definition of what counts as rich is very debatable as shown on this forum where people think making 6 figures makes you rich. Everyone has different definitions and criteria of what makes you rich and what doesn't and there is no hard number that makes you rich in most cases because you there's nuance to it with a number of factors such as how old you are, where you live, etc.

Well here's a chart showing the breakdown of where the population falls:

upper-middle.png

And here's one stating that 2 million net worth puts you in the 93 percentile:

dqydj.com

Net Worth Percentile Calculator – United States (and Average)

Wealth percentile calculator for you to compare to United States data, and see top one percent, average, and median. What net worth percentile are you?

That income chart is ridiculous and follows no standards for how class is measured, the 1 percent is "rich" and the middle class is between the 98th-20th percentile, there is no upper class - except that the so-called "upper middle class" is the by any normal measure of class, the upper class. To illustrate the uselessness of the image above combined with the data from "PK"s calculations: by this measurement of class you are middle class between net worth of 4k-2.3M...

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Speaking of working in retail let's look at what his company pays retail workers

Screenshot_20200916-133704_Chrome.jpg

As the pandemic highlighted retail workers are essential and they should be paid a living wage. This guy refused to pay his retail workers a living wage, became a billionaire off the labor of others and people in here are defending him.
He sold that company 24 years ago. What does their hourly wage now have to do with him?

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I don't want to see a goddamn income/wealth chart unless you're talking about how to fix the below

20190406_USC651.png

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
"Broke" is definitely misrepresenting his financial security, but those in this thread comparing an 89-year old retiree to a hypothetical middle aged, "normal" person are also being disingenuous.

Even if you're just an office drone with a bachelor degree, or someone working a trade job, you should be targeting at least a million dollars in retirement funds by the time you're done working.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
That income chart is ridiculous and follows no standards for how class is measured, the 1 percent is "rich" and the middle class is between the 99-20th percentile, there is no upper class - except that the so-called "upper middle class" is the by any normal measure of class, the upper class. To illustrate the uselessness of the image above combined with the data from "PK"s calculations: by this measurement of class you are middle class between net worth of 4k-2.3M...

There's also this:

The upper middle class, aka the mass affluent, are loosely defined as individuals with a net worth or investable assets between $500,000 to $2 million.

www.financialsamurai.com

The Average Net Worth By Age For The Upper Middle Class

This post will look in depth at the average net worth by age for the upper middle class. The upper middle class, aka the mass affluent, is loosely defined as individuals with a net worth or investable assets between $500,000 to $2 million. The upper middle class is also sometimes referred to as...

or even this:

A team of sociologists recently posited that there are six social classes in America. In this model, the upper class (3% of the population ) is divided into upper-upper class (1% of the U.S. population, earning hundreds of millions to billions per year) and the lower-upper class (2%, earning millions per year). The middle class (40%) is divided into upper-middle class (14%, earning $76,000 or more per year) and the lower-middle class (26%, earning $46,000 to $75,000 per year). The working class (30%) earns $19,000 to $45,000 per year. The lower class (27%) is divided into working poor (13%, earning $9000 to 18,000 per year) and underclass (14%, earning under $9000 per year).

So there are plenty of sources that seem to back it up that criteria.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
honestly, 2m isn't that much nowadays even for ''normal people'', even more especially if you were a billionnaire

0.005% of the world population has a wealth of 1 millions USD equivalent or more (46 millions millionnaires in the world). That's VERY far from common I'd say. Even in the top 3 countries in terms of millionnaires (ie Swizterland an HK), they don't account for more than 10% of the population, and those countries are friggin expensives in the first place.

Not trying to nitpick, it was just a good opportunity to set context :)

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
0.005% of the world population has a wealth of 1 millions USD equivalent or more (46 millions millionnaires in the world). That's VERY far from common I'd say. Even in the top 3 countries in terms of millionnaires (ie Swizterland an HK), they don't account for more than 10% of the population, and those countries are friggin expensives in the first place.

Not trying to nitpick, it was just a good opportunity to set context :)

Well to also put it in context, if you make $14k a year, you're in the 90th percentile. So a lot of people who are poor would be considered rich when comparing to the rest of the world.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
2 million is very rich anywhere in the world.

Some of you are so out of touch...

No one is rich, everyone's middle class, or upper-middle class. I have got into this same argument with friends before, but people like to define "rich" as someone who can buy million dollar cars and 40 million dollar mansions. Personally I think it is fucking ridiculous that we have accepted the idea that people in the top 10 or 5 percent are just middle class. I think it is just a deflection mechanism so they can say "I ain't the problem, it's those billionaires" while they support the same status quo that keeps growing income inequality.

Last edited:

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Some people in this thread: "It's like nothing is ever enough for some people."

Fucking. Duh. Someone exploited laborers for decades and you expect us all to be like "This person is pretty cool now" when they give away most of their billionaire wealth and become only a mere millionaire at the age of 80+.

Frugal living is great though. I give serious kudos for that because that's how I'd like to see myself at any level of wealth.

Philanthropy is simply a tool in the belt of the very wealthy and the system is working for them just as intended. Arguing that "$2 mil isn't really that much" simply muddies the waters of discussing the ethics of billionaires or philanthropy and I believe it's a huge waste of time.

Philanthropy to change the lives of hundreds and make yourself look/feel good vs. change the system (politics, taxes), potentially change the lives of millions, and look like every other tax payer.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I think we're going to get to the bottom of this if we keep arguing the definition of middle class long enough.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Some people in this thread: "It's like nothing is ever enough for some people."

Fucking. Duh. Someone exploited laborers for decades and you expect us all to be like "This person is pretty cool now" when they give away most of their billionaire wealth and become only a mere millionaire at the age of 80+.

Frugal living is great though. I give serious kudos for that because that's how I'd like to see myself at any level of wealth.

Philanthropy is simply a tool in the belt of the very wealthy and the system is working for them just as intended. Arguing that "$2 mil isn't really that much" simply muddies the waters of discussing the ethics of billionaires or philanthropy and I believe it's a huge waste of time.

Philanthropy to change the lives of hundreds and make yourself look/feel good vs. change the system (politics, taxes), potentially change the lives of millions, and look like every other tax payer.
I mean, you can look at where he donated his money and see much of it was towards changing the system.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
honestly, 2m isn't that much nowadays even for ''normal people'', even more especially if you were a billionnaire
I could live for 92.5 years with that kind of money with how much I make in a month. 2 million is a huge amount of money for a vast majority of people. What the fuck am I reading. How divorced from reality can you be.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's also this:

www.financialsamurai.com

The Average Net Worth By Age For The Upper Middle Class

This post will look in depth at the average net worth by age for the upper middle class. The upper middle class, aka the mass affluent, is loosely defined as individuals with a net worth or investable assets between $500,000 to $2 million. The upper middle class is also sometimes referred to as...

or even this:

So there are plenty of sources that seem to back it up that criteria.

You do not seem to understand that you will get different results if you use either income or wealth as indicator, illustrated by the two links you posted.

And yes, plenty of sources if one of the criteria is using someone who identifies under the moniker "financial samurai" as a credible source. The second "source" you cite uses income and not net worth as the basis for percentiles.

The Census Bureau has the last quintile at the top 20%, meaning networth over 480k. Pew, which is considered the de facto standard has the 85th percentiles as upper class in terms of net worth, which amounts to around 500k and above. Economists use the middle three quintiles of the wealth distribution as the definition of middle class. Again, I implore you to come up with a credible source or study that positions net wealth of 2M in the US as middle class.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you can look at where he donated his money and see much of it was towards changing the system.

eeney gave $3.7 billion to education, including nearly $1 billion to his alma mater, Cornell, which he attended on the G.I. Bill. More than $870 million went to human rights and social change, like $62 million in grants to abolish the death penalty in the U.S. and $76 million for grassroots campaigns supporting the passage of Obamacare. He gave more than $700 million in gifts to health ranging from a $270 million grant to improve public healthcare in Vietnam to a $176 million gift to the Global Brain Health Institute at the University of California, San Francisco.

Abolishing death penalty and campaigning for ACA is good. However, there isn't enough info in this article to see if he actually pushed for changing the system (aka, push for redistribution of wealth via political donations). His donations appear to have been for the short-term.

Nov 30, 2017
By many people standard being able to earn thoses 9 billion in the first place, can only be achieved by stealing money ( in the sense of not properly paying your workers compared to the money you get from their work, or/and not paying the amount of taxe that you should ).

There is nothing really surprising about it, it's simple leftist position, as in true left, not american left.

What's better giving that money to small group of people or giving that money to organizations that benefit entire populations?

Do we even know what the average pay was for his employees?

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Thread is very revealing about all the members posting at this so-called "progressive" forum who identify with the billionaire in this story, and not the countless folks he overworked, underpaid, lowballed, and screwed over along the way in order to become a billionaire in the first place. That "temporarily embarrassed millionaire billionaire" mentality is the biggest impediment to class-related progress there is.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
What charities? If he gave away $9B to the Homeless Bigoted Republican Youth charity then we're back to square one.

This week, Feeney closed his 38-year-old Atlantic Philanthropies, having donated all his cash to such lofty endeavors as bringing peace to Northern Ireland and modernizing Vietnam's health care system. More recently, he spent $350 million to turn New York city's Roosevelt Island into a technology hub, Forbes reported.

His donations include a total of $3.7 billion to education and another $870 million to fight for human rights and social change, like $62 million toward abolishing the death penalty in the United States and $76 million to back the passage of Obamacare.

www.marketwatch.com

He went from multibillionaire to relatively broke and living in a small apartment — just like he planned

This week, Chuck Feeney closed his 38-year-old Atlantic Philanthropies, having donated all his cash to such lofty endeavors as bringing peace to Northern...

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know you're being sarcastic but let me state for the record I am very spiteful towards billionaires, and I think they shouldn't exist at all! I think it's crazy to look at the wealth disparity in the world right now and NOT be spiteful towards billionaires, but you do you. Maybe all the other billions will give their money to whatever pet causes they support before they die too! Can't wait for that to happen! Might as well cut the wages of all Amazon workers so Jeff Bezos can make more money because the more he makes now is the more he can give away later!

Why are people always spiteful towards the billionaires who choose to give back, though?

He tried to make the world better in the best way he could. He gave away those billions. What's the issue there?

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
His theoretical personal tax wouldn't be so if he paid his staff good wages.

Bezos is on the really high end but he could give every employee at Amazon a 100,000 USD bonus (they have about 1 million employees worldwide) and he would still be a billionaire.

Instead, Amazon workers have to piss in bottles and are paid minimum wage.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
What if instead of you seeing it as him losing 99%, you see it as earning a fair salary. 2 million is more than enough for him to begin with.
What if instead of you seeing it as him losing 99%, you see it as earning a fair salary. 2 million is more than enough for him to begin with.
I am not even going to pretend to join the billionaire hate bandwagon. I fully support the possibility of people being able to turn billionaire. Especially if they turn out to be Bill Gates or like this guy. Who in the end will help the world in a much better way than their own political leaders will (Trump administration spending lol fuck that)

I

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I am not even going to pretend to join the billionaire hate bandwagon. I fully support the possibility of people being able to turn billionaire. Especially if they turn out to be Bill Gates or like this guy. Who in the end will help the world in a much better way than their own political leaders will (Trump administration spending lol fuck that)

I
No one "turns into a billionaire" without massive exploitation & oppression of people somewhere & generally crapping all over nature, so you are essentially supporting slavery, human rights abuse and destruction of our environments with your sentiment.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I could honestly care less about the side discussion of him saving 2 million for himself

Thats whatever. He was a multi billionaire that shouldn't have existed

Thread is very revealing about all the members posting at this so-called "progressive" forum who identify with the billionaire in this story, and not the countless folks he overworked, underpaid, lowballed, and screwed over along the way in order to become a billionaire in the first place. That "temporarily embarrassed millionaire billionaire" mentality is the biggest impediment to class-related progress there is.

Fucking preach

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
No one "turns into a billionaire" without massive exploitation & oppression of people somewhere & generally crapping all over nature, so you are essentially supporting slavery, human rights abuse and destruction of our environments with your sentiment.
I obviously don't. Not all billionaires are Jeff Bezos. I full support a system where we tax fairly, but preventing businesses from making billions will be counter-productive for technology. Greed is probably the number 1 reason we have advanced technology and medicine. If we could regulate and tax it fair, create healthy work environments both domestic and internationally that would be good place to start.

VoidCommunications

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2020
Dude out here literally prototyping the positive role model everyone is asking for and he still gets mad shit.
Lotta folks wanna roll out a guillotine anytime someone has money - doesn't matter how they use it or what for. You have some give if you're an actor or someone "relatable" for some reason. Just how it is here. Contrarian as fuck, especially when there's some cause you can act self-righteous about.

Like you don't see these same posters in threads about their favorite tv show or game ranting about how unneccesary it is for an actor to make millions.

Stop acting like you're taking some massive high-ground and can assume everyone's intention and mindset. I can identify with the overworked , underpaid, lowballed and screwed over people, while also thinking it's stupid to be an ass when someone is charitable. I'd rather direct my angst with the system towards those who more clearly perpetuate its ills without remorse. I was always taught to not look a gift horse in the mouth. So maybe, just maybe, I don't sympathize with a billionaire, and instead, god forbid, I just disagree with you.

Last edited:

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Like you don't see these same posters in threads about their favorite tv show or game ranting about how unneccesary it is for an actor to make millions.

It's because people who make media, TV shows etc. sell their labour, same as a warehouse worker or a nurse.

Greed is probably the number 1 reason we have advanced technology and medicine.

Most of the fundamental tech that goes into your smartphone or PC was developed with public money from one country or another. Same goes with medicines, big pharma just come in towards the end and scoop up the patents.

VoidCommunications

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2020
It's because people who make media, TV shows etc. sell their labour, same as a warehouse worker or a nurse.

Most of the fundamental tech that goes into your smartphone or PC was developed with public money from one country or another. Same goes with medicines, big pharma just come in towards the end and scoop up the patents.
But they are billionaires. Billionaires should not exist? That's entirely the argument I've been hearing. Specifically, others have said it doesn't matter how they earned their money, because being a billionaire means they must have exploited people. Many billionaires "sell their labor". Programmers, technicians, engineers, doctors, scientists, all of these people sell their mind for millions and billions of dollars. I would presume these people are also evil by your standard, but actors are not. Why?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I obviously don't. Not all billionaires are Jeff Bezos. I full support a system where we tax fairly, but preventing businesses from making billions will be counter-productive for technology. Greed is probably the number 1 reason we have advanced technology and medicine. If we could regulate and tax it fair, create healthy work environments both domestic and internationally that would be good place to start.
This is a pretty funny post coming from someone with a Don Draper avatar.

Edit: also companies making billions isnt the same as individuals making billions