JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
www.forbes.com

Exclusive: The Billionaire Who Wanted To Die Broke . . . Is Now Officially Broke

It took decades, but Chuck Feeney, the former billionaire cofounder of retail giant Duty Free Shoppers has finally given all his money away to charity. He has nothing left now—and he couldn’t be happier.

Crazy story, I read a dutch source first but looked up and found this article. He's 89 now and had 9 billion, and has been giving it away since 1982. So it took him almost 40 years to give away all that money. He still has 2 million left for himself.

Charles "Chuck" Feeney, 89, who cofounded airport retailer Duty Free Shoppers with Robert Miller in 1960, amassed billions while living a life of monklike frugality. As a philanthropist, he pioneered the idea of Giving While Living—spending most of your fortune on big, hands-on charity bets instead of funding a foundation upon death. Since you can't take it with you—why not give it all away, have control of where it goes and see the results with your own eyes?

Over the last four decades, Feeney has donated more than $8 billion to charities, universities and foundations worldwide through his foundation, the Atlantic Philanthropies. When I first met him in 2012, he estimated he had set aside about $2 million for his and his wife's retirement. In other words, he's given away 375,000% more money than his current net worth. And he gave it away anonymously. .

Last edited:

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
officially broke
still has 2m

🤔

edit: just pointing out the inconsistent headline

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
He helped fund many of the buildings I studied in at university. A very generous man indeed.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Exclusive: The Billionaire Who Wanted To Die Broke . . . Is Now Officially Broke

He still has 2 million left for himself.

10582752-3x2-940x627.png

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've love to be "broke" according to the headline writers lol.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I wish I was "broke" right now.

still cool that he giving a significant portion of his wealth away and not chump change like most billionaires out there.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly, 2m isn't that much nowadays even for ''normal people'', even more especially if you were a billionnaire
you should look at the figures for % of people living paycheck to paycheck. compared to the 1%, 2m is nothing, but it's still more than many people will earn in 30 years.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
"Chuck took giving to a bigger extreme than anyone. There's a lot of rich people—very few of them fly coach. He never spent the money on himself and gave everything away. A lot of people are now understanding the importance of giving it away, and the importance of being involved in the things you give your money to. But I don't fly coach!"

This speaks to me. Why the hell not fly coach? These days coach doesn't provide any better of an experience than first class does on domestic flights, and with technology easily available you can get the same amenities you used to get exclusively in first class.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
One of the few billionaire threads where i legit feel like i can say good on him. Wish more would do this (instead of pledging to one day maybe give away there fortune after they die).

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
This speaks to me. Why the hell not fly coach? These days coach doesn't provide any better of an experience than first class does on domestic flights, and with technology easily available you can get the same amenities you used to get exclusively in first class.
As someone with very little money but who flies international a lot (or used to) I think the only extravagance I would pay for is first-class tickets, to get that extra legroom and fully reclinable seat!

Like, I'm happy in my small apartment and without a car, and really don't need all that much at all, but a good seat on a flight is definitely worth it... if you have the cash.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
"Officially broke".. with 2 million left? 99% of the planet wishes they were this broke.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
- Is broke.
- Still has 2 mill.

The disconnect is real lmao.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
If going broke is having 2 million i an sure we'd Ll love to sign up.

I also love how it took DECADES to lose all that wealth. Ludicrous.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
As someone with very little money but who flies international a lot (or used to) I think the only extravagance I would pay for is first-class tickets, to get that extra legroom and fully reclinable seat!

Like, I'm happy in my small apartment and without a car, and really don't need all that much at all, but a good seat on a flight is definitely worth it... if you have the cash.

Isn't this why Business class is a thing on international flights? As a mid-point?

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
The man gave away billions and this thread is obsessed with a clickbait title calling him broke. Come on....

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
He's 89 and has $2million left?

Forbes definition of "Broke" is always fucking hilarious.

The man gave away billions and this thread is obsessed with a clickbait title calling him broke. Come on....

Fucking forbes editorial team drives me fucking batty. They know what they're doing to generate reactions

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
What if instead he was taxed accordingly and the end result was more or less the same?

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017

Fucking wild lmao.

That's pretty damn cool though, this guy is like that mythical good billionaire that society tries to invent. Imagine it waa fulfilling to see all the help he was doing.

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
Good man. In a sane world this would be the norm. Billionaires shouldn't exist.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember people, don't let this story warm you up on the idea of defending the structures which enabled this man into becoming a billionaire:

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Remember people, don't let this story warm you up on the idea of defending the structures which enabled this man into becoming a billionaire:

Adding to this:

It's a heartwarming story, but don't let it fool you. Maybe he is genuine, but he would be but a single water molecule in an ocean of billionaire piss.

GloomyHitsuji

Oct 31, 2017
ppl saying he's not broke cos he have 2mil (you don't expect him to give away until he has like $20 in his pocket, right?)

Isn't going from 9bil -> 2mil
similar to someone going from 900k in their bank account to $200? (that's pretty broke to me)