Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Joaquin Phoenix has started filming as The Joker for the upcoming standalone film!

The 43-year-old actor was seen with an actual clown on Sunday (September 16) in the Harlem neighborhood of Manhattan in New York City. Joaquin was seen laughing in a maniacal manner and honking the clown's nose for the outdoors scene.

The standalone Joker movie is expected to hit theaters on October 4, 2019. Zazie Beetz, Robert De Niro, and more also star.
joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-movie-04.jpg

joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-movie-02.jpg

joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-movie-03.jpg

joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-movie-20.jpg

More photos here: http://www.justjared.com/2018/09/16/joaquin-phoenix-as-the-joker-first-look-at-standalone-movie/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnzF1teH-yK/?hl=en&taken-by=toddphillips1
bv3cmk2njnm11.jpg

From Todd's Instagram

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So...it's pre-chemical plant Joker, I guess? I haven't kept up with this film at all because I kinda hate Phoenix.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit they are actually making this?

I thought it would be one of those things that falls apart

I've not been keeping up.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit he does actually look a lot like the Joker, just without the makeup. But Phoenix's casting was never the concern here.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Phoenix is probably the best actor associated to the role so I'm in*. Zero faith in WB at this point, but I'm sure he's gonna deliver.

* that includes Nicholson, yes.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Oh this could be good. Joaquin definitely has the chops to go all out crazy.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how to feel about this.

All about this proyect sounds awful, but a joker by Joaquin Phoenix is intriguing

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Even though I'm against a Joker solo movie I will watch this basely because of Phoneix, fucking love that guy.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Phoenix might make a good Joker, but I don't see how this movie is necessary. I want the character's origin to be ambigous, but I'm not the biggest Batman buff in the world, so what the fuck do I know.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At first glance I thought he was the guy on the right and was about to flip the table. As long as he gets the makeup at some point it looks fine so far.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
Is the DC Cinematic Universe still a thing? Are they just going to take the Fox approach where continuity and canon is constantly changing?

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like, divorced from the superhero stuff it's just a story about a guy getting shit on until he snaps and begins slashing people up. That's not an inherently bad thing.

The problem will be if they decide to cram a bunch of dumb comic shit in instead of do their own thing.

suaveric

Nov 9, 2017
I still feel like this is a dumb idea. Having two Jokers at the same time makes no sense. This isn't elseworlds-enough, like a Red Son Superman would be.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
If it was anybody but Joaquin Phoenix I'd probably be vehemently against this. But I'm just so curious to see how this ends up.