• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veracity:

• Valid

Votes: 305 51.4%
  • Venal

Votes: 54 9.1%
  • Val Venus

Votes: 234 39.5%

• Total voters

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
DevilMayCry3.jpg

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is what I was getting at, like if I wind down my company tomorrow I can't sell the various kits I've paid lots of money to acquire because technically I don't own them and can't resell them.

Sorta like how you can't fix your own John Deere devices anymore because they just license parts of them to you.

For better and worse, Sony basically defined video game dev kits as we know them. Like, on the one hand, their easy to obtain, standardized dev kits are one of the greatest things to happen to the gaming industry. Pre-sony, gaming dev kits were like the wild west, very infrequently actually provided by the console manufacturer themselves. So sony coming in and being one of the first major companies to allow devs to buy a well documented, easy to understand kit from them is amazing.

But on the other hand, they've really taken hardware ownership in a weird direction. I remember back in the day, it was actually pretty easy to get devkits for older consoles (there was, funnily enough, a time when they were considered junk!), where as running across modern dev kits for sale is much rarer. At least in the circles I run in. And that's talking like PS3 stuff. I've never seen a PS4 devkit for sale on the open market, personally.

EDIT: QUoted wrong person

Jan 4, 2018
Yeah it could definitely be on the back or something else entirely.

This is getting a little too reasonable and responsible for the internet. One of us should post that the PS5 will flop without a USB C port and see where it goes from there.
The latest Wired article confirmed the DS5 uses USB C. I guess that technically doesn't rule out the PS5 unit itself only having USB 3, but I'd assume/hope the final version has at least one C.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
True, but those devkits are usually just put in what seems to be some generic PC housing. This is an actual full fledged design made by Sony kinda like the PS2 dev kit, so we definitely can't rule out that the final PS5 design will look close to this dev kit.

The PS5 dev kit is designed to be stacked, hence the weird middle part. The final system won't look anything like that.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
You technically do not own it. That's akin to buying stolen goods, not that anybody would care. Nobody is supposed to be allowed to sell their kits. That goes way back, actually. Sony were among the first companies to do that, actually. Like with Sega products, up until the Dreamcast, you could buy them directly from cross-products or PsyQ.
Well this was legally bought from a bankruptcy so it's not even stolen. Was just lucky when I purchased it.

Are you registered with Sony? If not, it should be a doorstop I would think.

I do a lot of PS4 stuff so It's pretty useful to me.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I don't think the PS5 will look anything like this. While I expect it to be a fairly inconspicuous piece of tech, I wouldn't mind if Sony tried to make something that looked more unique, as if it has been designed ya know? The V would be a nice touch but nothing as gauche as this maybe/maybe not devkit.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well this was legally bought from a bankruptcy so it's not even stolen.

Sounds like the governing authority had no idea what they were selling. They weren't authorized to sell it. If I declare bankruptcy, all my stuff is allowed to be liquidated but not the stuff in my office building that belongs to my landlord, for example. The entity that declared bankruptcy in this case never owned that hardware. It wasn't their property, they just held possession of it.

To be sure, I'm not chiding you. Nobody would ever come after you or anything. Nor should you feel even remotely bad for having that in your possession. Just saying, technically, you are not the rightful owner of that kit. Somewhere, Sony has a lost kit in your possession. But then again, they expect to lose some kits.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Looks legit thou not as sleek as the renders.

Edit: Judging by the slot for the drive this thing is humongous. Which is par the course for dev kits.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I do a lot of PS4 stuff so It's pretty useful to me.

As far as I've heard/understand these days, modern devkits need to be validated periodically and will be bricks without that validation. So not being registered with Sony would make it useless unless somehow this has been circumvented.

Last edited:

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the consumer version has that kind of unusual shape instead of just a regular box or rectangle shape looking console.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Sounds like the governing authority had no idea what they were selling. They weren't authorized to sell it. If I declare bankruptcy, all my stuff is allowed to be liquidated but not the stuff in my office building that belongs to my landlord, for example. The entity that declared bankruptcy in this case never owned that hardware. It wasn't their property, they just held possession of it.

To be sure, I'm not chiding you. Nobody would ever come after you or anything. Nor should you feel even remotely bad for having that in your possession. Just saying, technically, you are not the rightful owner of that kit. Somewhere, Sony has a lost kit in your possession. But then again, they expect to lose some kits.
Lol yeah I mean with how much Prototype Sony shit that comes up every week it seems on ebay it's not surprising same with the XDKs on ebay

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Weren't the original Xbox 360 dev kits Power Mac G5s?

They were, but we're not binary compatible with final kits. They were meant as a platform to get started on.

Bankruptcy auctions happen after other parties have an option to identify stuff that is actually owned by someone else. Of no one speaks up and it goes to auction, title passes to the buyer.

Nintendo generally asks for their stuff back. MS and Sony aren't as aggressive about it.

As far as I've heard/understand these days, modern devkits need to be validated periodically and will be bricks without that validation. So not being registered with Sony would make it useless unless somehow this has been circumvented.

This. PS4 and Vita kits will expire if not relicensed through Sony or hacked to work around expiration. Once expired, you're not doing much dev work on them.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Something is bothering me, why does it say prototype 1 when it's not the first devkit?

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Sony needs to put up a twitter poll with the two final design candidates for the PSV.

Still wondering what design Sony nixed for PS4 in favor of that final trapezoid design. Watch it was just the burger design that became PS4 slim/pro heh

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it's the retail design. Big, well-vented and unique.
But they'll likely turn it into a boring flat box with heating issues.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Thoughts on the current PS5 Dev Kit Leak situation:
The Vox Populi needs to be Verified with Veracity lest it be Vilified by the Vast Vivified Vortex of Vociferation.
Verily, the Voices of the Villainous Visage is Vexing the situation into Vicissitude. Any Vestige of Volition among the Voracious Vanguards seems Vicariously Voided. The Verdict is less Vindicative than Vicious, a Verbiage Veers most Verbose indeed.

Dank Lotion

Oct 27, 2017
I actually hope we get a design similar to this. I'm tried of boring black boxes.

Does anyone else think Sony may be leaning into the roman numeral "V" for marketing purposes next gen? It ties into it being the fifth console AND they could also mirror it with the PSVR2 whenever it releases...

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
It looks cool. Definitely a fan of a Roman five considered as part of a fifth game system.

However for the tenth one that should be the Roman ten :-)

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Its fake because they constructed it out of the original leaked image and that image is upside down. The image people keep seeing has been upside down all along, the V vent goes at the bottom you can tell because you can see the feet on the ends of the V shape.

iNgK0zs.jpg

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Wow...people are a actually thinking the retail ps5 will look like that?
Wow how long have you guys been following leaks in gaming?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
That's one ugly console. Even if that ended up being the consumer version, I wouldn't care too much as long as it came in all black so I don't have to look at it with the lights out. With all of that glossy gray/silver finish though? Gross. Thing will reflect light like crazy and be an annoying distraction.

Jun 22, 2018
Its fake because they constructed it out of the original leaked image and that image is upside down. The image people keep seeing has been upside down all along, the V vent goes at the bottom you can tell because you can see the feet on the ends of the V shape.

iNgK0zs.jpg
Those "feet" are spots for securely stacking the consoles. Past PS devkits have them on top as well.

I'm not certain this is real, but I don't think those images are actually upside down like that.