Votes: 234 39.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Worst controller ever mind you.

whatever

the point is, prototype hardware using 3D printed design is not at all uncommon. Valve gave out 3D printed Steam Controllers to early devs, I have two in my bedroom right now.

In fact, that's one of 3D printing's greatest achievements. It lets people quickly prototype new shells than used to be. Prototype hardware using materials and technologies specifically targeted towards rapid prototyping isn't suspicious at all.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
V has come to...........WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

8273492C1712CAF43A5D1048C4F7346602681D5A

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
whatever

the point is, prototype hardware using 3D printed design is not at all uncommon. Valve gave out 3D printed Steam Controllers to early devs, I have two in my bedroom right now.

In fact, that's one of 3D printing's greatest achievements. It lets people quickly prototype new shells than used to be. Prototype hardware using materials and technologies specifically targeted towards rapid prototyping isn't suspicious at all.

Wait what? I thought someone was joking showing the steam controller as a repsonse to someone doubting this is 3d printed.
So Steam controllers sent for devs were 3D Printed? I neevr knew this. :o
I wonder if someday even the retail consoles will be 3D pronted too to maximize profits.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait what? I thought someone was joking showing the steam controller as a repsonse to someone doubting this is 3d printed.
So Steam controllers sent for devs were 3D Printed? I neevr knew this. :o
I wonder if someday even the retail consoles will be 3D pronted too to maximize profits.

Not just were the steam controllers 3D printed, much of the prototype Steam Machine case was also 3D printed.

At Dev Days, you could even request the CAD files for the Steam Controller shell from Valve directly.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That looks absolutely hideous. I hope the retail version looks nothing like that.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like it. Hopefully the bulkier design and surplus ventilation means the fan won't kill my ears

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
I think it's real and that the vented design will carry on to the final version. I wonder if they're packing some secret sauce that will require that much cooling.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see any USB ports. I would think a modern console would have at least one USB C slot.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I don't remember any devkit having more power than any released PlayStation, in fact the PS4 pre-release devkit had jsut 4GB VRAM and when they officially annoucned the PS4 devs even first parties were surprised the PS4 would get 8 GB VRAM since they designed their laucnh gaems with just 4GB in mind. So that is not a true story for Sony, hence even this prototype 1 which means thiis may be even less powerful than the final PS5. For MS? this is the case though with double the RAM for devkits.

2 actual developers have replied here and you - someone who asks the most random questions about technology - are saying they're liars?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
there are 6 USB ports on the front, on the right. One has a cable plugged into it.
I don't see any C ports though. I only see the usual A/B ports.

Since they are going all in on SSD it seems like ti would make sense to get USB and some really high speeds so you could take advantage of an external SSD too. I doubt it could cost much as every new electronic device is using C.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
whatever

Also the word prototype written all over it, if thats not a total sign, dunno what is.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
It would be awesome in 2002. Now it looks weird.

I hope the final design will be more simple.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Technically none of us own these things anymore, we license them until these companies want them back.

I'll miss my Wii U dev kit if Nintendo ever come for it,
No I actually own this. It's not licensed to any companies. Was also bought from a bankruptcy auction so it's not stolen.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see any C ports though. I only see the usual A/B ports.

Since they are going all in on SSD it seems like ti would make sense to get USB and some really high speeds so you could take advantage of an external SSD too. I doubt it could cost much as every new electronic device is using C.

perhaps it's on the back?

Anywho, it's not uncommon for Devkits to use different forms of compatible ports. The early Dreamcast Katana SDK has a standard DB-9 serial port on the back, for example:

SegaDC_KatanaBack.jpg

instead of Sega's proprietary serial port:

EAb2m4RW4AAFRhH

So you couldn't use the Katana directly with retail Dreamcast serial products like the Neo Geo Pocket Link.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No I actually own this. It's not licensed to any companies.

You technically do not own it. That's akin to buying stolen goods, not that anybody would care. Nobody is supposed to be allowed to sell their kits. That goes way back, actually. Sony were among the first companies to do that, actually. Like with Sega products, up until the Dreamcast, you could buy them directly from cross-products or PsyQ.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird. I shouldn't care that it's so ugly, but typically these dev kits don't have a design to them. Bad as this looks, it does have a design.

So it somewhat worries me that the retail unit could look similar.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
perhaps it's on the back?

Anywho, it's not uncommon for Devkits to use different forms of compatible ports. The early Dreamcast Katana SDK has a standard DB-9 serial port on the back, for example:

SegaDC_KatanaBack.jpg

instead of Sega's proprietary serial port:

EAb2m4RW4AAFRhH

So you couldn't use the Katana directly with retail Dreamcast serial products like the Neo Geo Pocket Link.
Yeah it could definitely be on the back or something else entirely.

This is getting a little too reasonable and responsible for the internet. One of us should post that the PS5 will flop without a USB C port and see where it goes from there.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird. I shouldn't care that it's so ugly, but typically these dev kits don't have a design to them. Bad as this looks, it does have a design.

So it somewhat worries me that the retail unit could look similar.

But the PS4 and PS4 Pro look nothing like their devkits.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Thanks for all your first hand input on this kind of stuff Krejlooc

Very interesting to hear your perspective and experience with the things we don't ever see from our "side".

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
You technically do not own it. That's akin to buying stolen goods, not that anybody would care. Nobody is supposed to be allowed to sell their kits. That goes way back, actually. Sony were among the first companies to do that, actually. Like with Sega products, up until the Dreamcast, you could buy them directly from cross-products or PsyQ.

Yeah this is what I was getting at, like if I wind down my company tomorrow I can't sell the various kits I've paid lots of money to acquire because technically I don't own them and can't resell them.

Sorta like how you can't fix your own John Deere devices anymore because they just license parts of them to you.