LNBL

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
TwJ0gGs.jpg

Looks like the preload option, recognize it from my fifa 21 pre-order last month.

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
I think it looks clean, I like it! Also, I'm considerably more interested in the sackboy game now too, its so cute!

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
Maybe it's just me, but the UI has a certain clean and fluid style I normally associate with Apple's products. Even game icons are rounded edge squares like IOS apps.

The fact that everything (including the PS Store and game guides) is fully integrated is amazing. Give me Twitch/Youtube PiP mode and I'll have everything I wanted from the UI and then some.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
It looks alright, basically an extension of the PS4 UI. I wish I could have seen the trophies interface.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Sony: Here is our first look! More to come.
People: BUT WHERE IS QUICK RESUME
Sony Next week: shows quick resume
People: <Insert New Concern>
Legitimate concern though.
The console is out in a month and we're still waiting for Sony to show us some basic features when the Series X is already in the hands of journalists.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
No dev is going to waste their time adding those objective and activity cards.

Sure not all will and those that do won't all go to the same detail but doing so will likely increase engagement from the player, the player play longer, trade in later and maybe invest in DLC etc along the way, plus potentially have more interest in any future sequel or title from that developer.

plake

Nov 3, 2017
I liked it, especially the pip stuff. And I am real hopeful that it will suspend at least 2 games as indicated by the video.

Can't wait for Nov 19...

Oct 25, 2017
Finally having Trophy completion percentage after two generations of asking for it is great.
Being able to access your screenshots right from the main menu instead of having to go into system storage is also a huge improvement.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Man, you can't even mention how you wonder if there is quick resume-like feature without people piling on with their 'clever' attempts at 'omg, the concern' bullshit. I thought this was an impressive video and liked what I saw, but I too would have liked to see some kind of Quick Resume-like ability or have confirmation of it. It's literally impossible for people here to put down their shields for even a second, I swear.

Ding ding ding. It's kids being super protective over their inanimate game system.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I hope you can still set the Share/Create button to take a screenshot on press instead of opening up a menu. Opening a menu is kinda useless if you're trying to take screenshots in the middle of gameplay.
I hope so too. It needs to work like it does on the Switch to her me to use it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Erm tbf, people have been waiting a long time to see the UI, now they finally show it and only shows part of it. And they don't show one of the
biggest next-gen os feature. This is a hardcore videogame forum, what you'd expect?. People are concerned about the smallest thing.

But there's several cool features that were shown in this video that the competitor hasn't shown either (voice dictation, PiP sharing, viewing, tips, tricks, chat, streaming, individual task and time tracking, along with correlating cards, instantly jumping into specific activities and so on).

I'd wait for them to both show more before forming conclusions or making final comparisons.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I was so excited to see a match of Destruction AllStars and all they took was a picture! Argh!

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
First impression by just quickly seeing it on mobile it seems undercooked / unpolished but gotta see it on a big screen to judge

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
What we know about the PS5 potential quick resume equivalent:
  1. PS5 can suspend a game and cold boot another in 8 seconds.
  2. PS5 suspends multiple games.
  3. PS5 has a game switcher.
There is no information beyond that, the rest is speculation.

Oct 29, 2017
Looks really good if not a bit crowded.

Still good. I was immensely disappointed in the recent Xbox Dashboard redesign. It looks fugly in 4K. Like something put together with static raster assets with CSS in a day. It desperately needs a real rewrite.

I think both UIs aged well in this gen. Xbox got faster, more intuitive and overall better, PS4 got much needed features. We are set for the OSs, it's just an added bonus that PS5 UI IMO simply looks better.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I can see myself potentially getting a little confused between the cards and the home menu and switching between the two. And the cards don't seem to have any particular logic to them - wonder how they're arranged? eg there were quite a few of the trophy ones before getting to a MP game that could be joined. And the cards while playing sackboy are for all sorts of different things too (eg Destruction all stars MP match) so is that a 'global' notifications + game specific cards?

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
So no HDR recording? He only mentioned 4K, so I guess if I have beautiful HDR scenery in a game, that I'd like to share using the new Share function that they promoted, then I guess I'm out of luck, huh? Or was HDR recording already in the PS4 Pro and I just forgot?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
With the cards you can just load into your save directly. No need for quick resume. It only took so long on Destruction All Stars because it's a multiplayer game and there's no save state to load into.
I guess that's their approach and that's fine. Each has their benefit and who knows, maybe both companies add something similar to the competition down the line. These OS/UI are just the start.
Sure I do. It's about getting to where you were in a game, as fast as possible. If that takes the same amount of time, why would it matter where you started?
We haven't seen a multiplatform game with the feature yet, so it's hard to compare. But 8 seconds was longer than some quick resumed games on Xbox took and as you know PS5 SSD is much faster. Thus PS5 SSD using quick resume would be faster, too.

I think their approaches are different. Microsoft uses quick resume, while PS5 has the deep OS integration with cards, which let you jump into a specific level before starting the game it seems. Both methods are better than cold booting a game like shown in the UI video.

What I mean is that I wonder how notable the resources used for this feature will be in adding to any potential performance gaps between the consoles.

I do hope Microsoft considers adding snap mode back in, though I do prefer Sony's implementation with the overlay to Microsoft's screen split with tons of empty, wasted space. That said, Microsoft's approach could technically allow the game to simply render at a lower resolution when in snap mode, which you'd think would help to negate the feature's resource needs.

In either case, you're right about the shared OS not having to have the same features between console generations. After all, I wouldn't expect the OneGuide app to be on the newer consoles, as there's no HDMI In port on Xbox Series X|S.
I don't think the resources taken will have a huge impact. But it's hard to know, when we know nothing about the resources used by the OS.

To your last paragraph. Yep and that's something many people don't seem to understand. OS and UI are build in a way to stay flexible and you can easily activate or deactivate feature depending on the capabilities of the hardware.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
Glad to see they built on top of the already good PS4 OS. So much for people complaining about Xbox approach huh.

Playboi Carti

Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
Don't know why everyone keeps saying "It doesn't have this, it doesn't have that" when the guy literally told us that there's much more to show than just this.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Not a fan of the activities row. Seems more cluttered than its worth.

I do like the integration of the store though.

Gotta try it myself first before I make any judgements but I'm pretty meh about it for now.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Legitimate concern though.
The console is out in a month and we're still waiting for Sony to show us some basic features when the Series X is already in the hands of journalists.
its not legitimate. you guys keep comparing these two and every single time you end up looking silly. Literally they are on two different marketing paths and every single time when sony shows their stuff its exactly what every one has been telling you all about your random ass concerns. either wait Or just buy what you want with the info you have. It's like that simple