• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Also, not a fan of how long it took for them to close Sackboy and boot up All Stars. You'd think with super fast SSD that would be so much faster but here they legit had to use a fast-forward to get into the game and make it look like it was super fast.
Wasn't that just skipping actually joining someones lobby and matchmaking (he was just picking a character it looks like)? A SSD isn't changing networking speeds, it'll just get you to them faster.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
unknown.png

This is also the name for the option with the game logo on the bottom bar

Suspend your games, plural.

8-D92-E4-B5-C570-4908-BBAB-DAA80-D60713-F.jpg

oh ok seems it can quick resume then,
onto the next thing to get "concerned" about, lol

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018
We saw that with rest mode. Whether it has it for multiple other titles is another thing--but given how games work this generation, what's really different when you can get to the same spot in the same amount of time?
I play a lot of Fifa and Forza single player and have a nephew and a daughter who frequently interrupt me to play kiddie couch co op games.
I'd have to somehow convince them to wait for a few mins to finish the race or match. Now i wont have to on the Series X.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
My big bugbear with the PS4 at the moment is that there is no way to switch been audio profiles, rather, you have to change the settings each and every time as if you are setting up how you always want it to behave.

I have a wireless headset using optical out and USB dongle, and I also use surround speakers via HDMI home theatre. Sometimes I'm playing on the speakers and then I'll want to go to the headset because I need to be quiet in the house, or vice versa. Want to switch to the headset? I have to select optical out, select a format between PCM, Dolby etc. every time. Switching back to HDMI? It warns me every time that my home theatre can support 7.1 but do I still want 5.1 (yes, I do, I only have those speakers) and again makes me choose a format as if the format is something that could change daily. It's as if you couldn't pair Bluetooth devices to your phone and had to find them every time.

Just let me set up audio output profiles and have them selectable in a quick PS menu overlay during gameplay and I promise not to complain about anything else.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine, but still doesn't really deal well with info glut and prioritization. The cards in the control center in particular already demonstrate an excessive amount of sifting to find activities, eg when he wanted to join his friends game of Destruction AllStars and had to sift past at least 6-8 other cards to get there. It seems like they could either make the cards smaller in their default, unexpanded state to fit more on screen or they could take a more Netflix-like approach and split the cards into at least 2-3 rows based on their purpose. At the very least, split current game activities into one row and anything else (parties, MP, other games) into another row.

Heropon_

Oct 31, 2017
I think there might be something similar to quick resume(timestamp is 2 minutes in).
Q1heIQw.png

Note that when he hovers over the game icon(between the bell and home icon at the bottom of the screen) it doesn't say game or resume or sack boy a big adventure, it says switcher.
Switcher might be ps5's version of quick resume, but this is just speculation.

This "Switcher" thing, and the fact that he launches Destruction All-Stars without a prompt saying that he is leaving Sackboy, I'm very optimistic for a Quick Resume equivalent (at least for 2 games).

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Seems ambitious but I dont think I will use 99% of the new features. Its cool that they are there for people who will make use of them though.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
If PS5 has a form of Quick Resume a) that would be amazing and b) why the hell wouldn't they be screaming about that? lol

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Sony: Here is our first look! More to come.
People: BUT WHERE IS QUICK RESUME
Sony Next week: shows quick resume
People: <Insert New Concern>

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
yeah definately, especially given how someof these things feel like the next gen versions of many dropped /poorly supported Xbox One Os features.
But I suppose if you buy a PS5 for Sony games only, these features should be welll supported there.

I can see most devs supporting those features .
Anything that allows them to gather more data and help control player habits \guide them in certain ways will get used .

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I play a lot of Fifa and Forza single player and have a nephew and a daughter who frequently interrupt me to play kiddie couch co op games.
I'd have to somehow convince them to wait for a few mins to finish the race or match. Now i wont have to on the Series X.

Looks like the same on PS5 given suspending multiple games. Well, FIFA and GT7 lol.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Game Hints could actually be a game changer for me personally. I am afraid it won't become a widely adopted feature outside of first-party titles though.
The fact that it is behind a paywall and that it is called the Official Game Help makes me thing that Sony will create this guide themselves---perhaps in collaboration with developers---and not rely on developers creating the videos. That would be great and ensures that every single game is fully supported, and would be a great added value for Playstation players. I mean if websites like IGN see value in creating extensive walkthroughs for clicks, I'm sure Sony can toss of that PS+ money for this too.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I have more questions than answers, honestly, and I wish they showed more. The icons on the home screen like tiny, though. I hope that is something you can customize.

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect. This is much better than any UI they've ever done. It's simple and effective, which is all I want. The home screen looks like it will really let themes shine. The activities both have some truly great potential and will probably be ignored by some third party. Features such as in-game help, remaining time for activities and sharing your screen picture in picture with friends are really exciting. Some truly next gen stuff.

The absolute best part of the UI however... is when you select the PS store or hover over a game icon it loads instantly. PS4 was dreadful with loading UI elements, good riddance.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
The context sensitive Guide system w/videos etc. is actually a PS+ (paid) feature that I think is not unreasonable. It is extra content and 'non essential' and something that can grow dynamically over time for each game.

Unlike the online paywalls for all consoles where the platform holder is not really providing much (and simultaneously giving arbitrary free passes for F2P games even though they on average utilize online functionality even more...).

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I remember timing AC Odyssey on Xbox One X and having it take 3+ minutes to load from cold boot to the point where I could actually my character.

Now we have folks saying that 8 seconds is an eternity. Wtf.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I like the estimated time to complete feature. Would be nice to have for people with limited time to play sometimes

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Nice catch, weird omission to not have shown outright in the video.
Timestamp in this video shows it was recorded on 28 sept. They may be waiting for their launch single player games like demons and spidey to go gold before showing other features as there is no point to quick resume in multiplayer only games where you need to login to servers.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Looks nice. The new functionality opens the door for some neat things and I'm curious if we can have persistent group parties we can share things to. Not 100% sure on what the state of themes are now with this though, which could be a shame.

Oct 27, 2017
I just need to know if PS4 themes will work (I doubt it) because I can't imagine not hearing that Reset Era theme everytime I use my PlayStation 😭

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Looks great, but part of my day one fun is exploring new stuff so I won't be looking for any more info.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This "Switcher" thing, and the fact that he launches Destruction All-Stars without a prompt saying that he is leaving Sackboy, I'm very optimistic for a Quick Resume equivalent (at least for 2 games).

Yea, if it didn't have an equivalent to Quick Resume, then the system would have indeed warned you that Sackboy/whatever application you're running, would be closed when launching the new one, much like it does now on PS4.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I hope you can still set the Share/Create button to take a screenshot on press instead of opening up a menu. Opening a menu is kinda useless if you're trying to take screenshots in the middle of gameplay.

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
'Cards' seems very Bootstrap inspired - their integration however does look truly impressive.

I love all of it so far.