Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
87624736.png

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
This design is on Nikoa 9 level of ugly as fuck. Look up the rumored Nokia 9 camera arrangement.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Heh, so they're just gonna try and sell these things just based off the camera now. I see, I see. Let's see how that plays out.

They can only do the "Same damn phone physically, but in a cool new COLOR!!" thing once (5 to 5S, 6 to 6S, X to XS), so if the next one after XS will have the same screen and shape, then definitely changing the camera cluster will be the only way to sell it.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
It looks fucking pregnant, guy.
Didn't realize you used your phone by looking at the back of it, my bad.

It's a battery case. The primary motivation is utility, not everything is about making the phone look cool. When you actually use that case in your hand it gives the impression the phone isn't really much thicker than it already is if you had a normal case on it. Apple decided that was more important than having it look amazing in a product shot.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
It doesn't stick out of cases, it gets flush with a case on... that's the point.
I mean sticking out as in standing out.

Excuse the photoshop but a pic might demonstrate it better.

tn9s3cV.png

Will look weird on pretty much anything other than the black case. They could of course change the color of the bump but then you'd have the lenses being very visible.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This can't be real or if it somehow is, close to the final design, that is absolutely disgusting looking.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Starting at $1999...

Phones are so boring we in an Gillette more blades like arms race.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Classic people not reading in this thread.

This leak, if true, is an engineering model. That means this is absolutely not a final design. This phone shell is likely just fo them to test the actual setup of having 3 cameras in a phone. If that hardware is good, then they'll move to the design phase which will adjust how that looks.

Is there a chance it still turns out like this? Yes. Is this final right now? Absolutely not.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean sticking out as in standing out.

Excuse the photoshop but a pic might demonstrate it better.

tn9s3cV.png

Will look weird on pretty much anything other than the black case. They could of course change the color of the bump but then you'd have the lenses being very visible.
Oh. Well, I can't say I agree. In that particular case what bothers me is the uncomfortable distance between camera and Apple logo, otherwise it's just a camera cutout, regardless of color or size.

Nov 30, 2018
Yeah maybe, but I'm not gonna hop on that train right away. 5G as it is right now kinda looks like crap unless you have crystal clear reception. ArsTechnica did a good breakdown showing that it's penetration inside buildings at its current frequency is kinda awful.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/12/dont-buy-a-5g-smartphone-at-least-not-for-a-while/

5G won't change anything for reception or penetration in buildings, which is correct and most people don't understand this

The Letter C

Alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2018
The body is fine, what bothers me is the weird camera arrangement. Why can't the flash go in the middle of a triangle arrangement of cameras?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That looks absolutely ridiculous. What is it with some of Apples designs these days. It honestly looks like some sort of parody mock up lol.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
5G won't change anything for reception or penetration in buildings, which is correct and most people don't understand this
Right, but as it stands it seems like right now it's worse than LTE, as far as that goes. I don't want my signal halved or worse because I walked into my house. I'm sure they'll figure something out eventually and it'll be fine, but I'm definitely gonna wait a bit and let it mature before jumping in.

I remember when LTE was first introduced, HTC jumped in strong with their marketing showing the "first LTE smartphone!!", then everyone realized the battery life was ass. Nothing wrong with sticking to LTE until 5G really takes off.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Apple ffs, not everyone cares about camera quality, it's good enough already. Solve the notch "problem" and do something interesting please...

Inclusing mroe cameras will just increase the price of the phone by another $150 and calling the lense "the new and revolutionary Apple Lense powered by AI in our datacenters in Mars..."

Just make a damn phone.

The Letter C

Alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Right, but as it stands it seems like right now it's worse than LTE, as far as that goes. I don't want my signal halved or worse because I walked into my house. I'm sure they'll figure something out eventually and it'll be fine, but I'm definitely gonna wait a bit and let it mature before jumping in.

I remember when LTE was first introduced, HTC jumped in strong with their marketing showing the "first LTE smartphone!!", then everyone realized the battery life was ass. Nothing wrong with sticking to LTE until 5G really takes off.
Eh by 2020 5g should be widespread and battery life normalized. 5g benefits are speed and network congestion if I understand correctly. Waaaay faster.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, this is an early design since it won't come till 9 months later

Bet this is the final design tho

Darkkn

Oct 30, 2017
Industry is currently out of ideas to give reasons for upgrade. This is way overserving the market at this point unless Apple can make AR into a mainstream use-case via some killer apps.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Industry is currently out of ideas to give reasons for upgrade. This is way overserving the market at this point unless Apple can make AR into a mainstream use-case via some killer apps.
This is it, really.

The analogy up-thread of "just add more razor blades!" isn't far off.