• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda show how important is established IP and publisher in terms of commercial success.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
KT have done a very good job in all things but the visuals. They need much better art direction as well as improve things on the technical side. The game's visual presentation and design really detracts from an otherwise great game. Performance issues, low quality textures and assets, inconsistent designs/choice, etc are just too common and stand out too much.
To be honest. I'm glad that's my biggest issues with the game. That's something that's easier to understand and improve on. But we'll see. They'll be another Fire emblem and I'm hoping it's better technically. Just scrolling around in the battle maps are clunky.

(And let the damn Protagonist voice the options you choice at least)

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
To be honest. I'm glad that's my biggest issues with the game. That's something that's easier to understand and improve on. But we'll see. They'll be another Fire emblem and I'm hoping it's better technically. Just scrolling around in the battle maps are clunky.

Sure, though I can't say some of the storytelling choices aren't without issue either. Too many of the story beats and transitions are pretty bad and jarring leaving you with this feeling like whole scenes are missing between one scene or event and the next. The game needs more connective tissue between events and cutscenes. Byleth & Caspar's C Support, Month 7 main battle prelude, and many more have very awkward cuts that leave out super important story bits. This I think is exacerbated by the poor artistic and technical direction of the game with the horrendous backdrops they use for conversation cutscenes. You can't do anything with a still picture background like have actual actions occur when all you have is a 2 or so character models floating in warped screenshot of a location around them.

Byleth as well is just a shitty character, they seemingly have no relationship with Jeralt or anyone or anything with the world they've lived in for 20+ years. It's embarrassingly bad, but thankfully not that important, yet at least.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Byleth as well is just a shitty character, they seemingly have no relationship with Jeralt or anyone or anything with the world they've lived in for 20+ years. It's embarrassingly bad, but thankfully not that important, yet at least.

There's actually a story reason for this hilariously enough.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
See, if that kind of thing were how characters were picked then we would have gotten Heihachi/The Prince/Chosen Undead/Goku/Haruka Amami/SOMEONE for a second Bamco rep instead of being limited to just Pac-Man while Konami, Capcom, and Sega are on their third character.

Bamco just helped make a Smash game, but Koei Tecmo made a Fire Emblem game.

Clearly Sakurai has his priorities, lol.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Better be a good one. Right now Byleth is an absolute turd of a character and their lack of customization yet decision to still be a mute and complete non-entity instead of an actual character has not been worth it at all.

The reason is Byleth literally does not have a heart.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The reason is Byleth literally does not have a heart.
tenor.gif

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Dude Jungle Beat is one of the best platformers ever made

The others are rough but don't you dare lump Jungle Beat with them
i actually haven't played any of the games in that DK list. Was just making that type argument you might hear.
You won't hear a peep out of me if those series died
That's fine then. I don't mind any line of thinking if it's consistent.

About the whole wild woods thing, the first time I played wild woods like 5 years ago we all had the same reaction of wanting an rpg to explore it. So obviously itd be great. It doesn't specifically relate to PM fixing tho

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Very cool. Gameplay and life management stuff is wonderful. I really like this game a lot.

Tech is WOEFULLY bad, though. Would have looked bad on early Xbox 360 even. Inexcusable, honestly. And then that it can't even run at 30fps half the time in the monastery? Insane. I would have excused this level of visuals if it was 60fps.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

I think my biggest issue so far is that even though the actual maps are different, the map assets look very samey.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty surprising, they did a great job with what they had. If the presentation get's a significant upgrade with a new engine, FE could be an even bigger franchise commercially, and with critics.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like INT using their internal resources on a FE remake would be a waste over not making the next mainline title here.
It's a remake of one of the most highly regard titles in Japan. And one that everyone wants a remake off.

The story that game has could probably capture a lot of intention if they market it right. If a remake happnes, I would love to see the reactions to the midpoint of the game.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Basically Fe4, 5, 6 would basically be a new title to the west.

Asides from five, four and six offer very interesting things to the fanbase.
What's funny is that one of the big gameplay tweaks from FE5 (stamina) was already brought back in SoV in an infinitely less restricting function.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Very cool. Gameplay and life management stuff is wonderful. I really like this game a lot.

Tech is WOEFULLY bad, though. Would have looked bad on early Xbox 360 even. Inexcusable, honestly. And then that it can't even run at 30fps half the time in the monastery? Insane. I would have excused this level of visuals if it was 60fps.

this is definitely the worst looking game in a long time...even for 2006 it would have been atrocious. the backgrounds, the models, the textures..it is hideous.

the game looks really ancient and is not running smooth at all.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like it was a bit of a risk to pass off the big Fire Emblem game on Switch mostly to another developer. I really wonder why they decided to do that -- wouldn't Fire Emblem be IntSys's top priority? Like sure they could be working on Paper Mario or WarioWare or something, but I don't see why they would choose to do that instead of securing Fire Emblem. Maybe they are doing a new IP or something? Or maybe they just felt they couldn't handle HD development?

But anyway the risk really paid off -- the game is fantastic! So I'm not complaining, just wondering.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
KT have done a very good job in all things but the visuals. They need much better art direction as well as improve things on the technical side. The game's visual presentation and design really detracts from an otherwise great game. Performance issues, low quality textures and assets, inconsistent designs/choice, etc are just too common and stand out too much.

Visuals really confuse me. I think I could best describe it as inconsistent or incongruous. For instance I'll see a specific part of the monastery and love it - like some statues in the cathedral or a certain angle in the greenhouse. You'll see extremely high quality vines lining the corner of a wall, but then right next to it is some muddy brick retaining wall with jarring flat sharp edges. You'll have one conversation with a character like Rhea, enjoying the finer aspects of her ornate headdress, then shortly after find yourself having a conversation with Seteth where his chest embroidery is offensively low resolution - like a 20x20 pixel texture blown up to fit part of his frame. Also, fully zoomed in map mode should not exist outside of closeups during attacks. It's novel that you can zoom in all the way and play like that, but it's really not a good look for the game at all.

All that said, I love this game. None of this is an actual deterrent from my overall enjoyment.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
Kou Shibusawa developing Fire Emblem, Team Ninja developing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, it really is a win-win situation for Koei Tecmo lmfao.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of IS is also working on another Fire Emblem.

I feel like INT using their internal resources on a FE remake would be a waste over not making the next mainline title here.
It makes sense. IS has a relative lack of HD experience and since Nintendo wanted a Fire Emblem out they partnered with someone with that experience while IS learns the system using a previous game as a base.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
If any game needs a remake it's Genealogy of the Holy War. Even today many consider it to be the best in the series, and it was never released outside Japan.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
For the love of all that is holy, please be making a new proper Paper Mario game.

Or #RemasterThousandYearDoor. That would be incredible.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Game is fun as fuck. My next FE since Awakening. Played for 4 hrs yesterday. Is jank as hell and looks like ass though. Still having a blast.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Really glad that KT pulled this off! It feels great that they hired people that felt passionate about the series and built from elements that were already present in the games. One issue I still have is with the map sprites (getting POR dummy figure vibes there), but i'm certain that they'll work on that in the future.
Does make you wonder what IS has in store if they're not fully prioritizing FE tho.

FE4 is definitely the next one in line if we follow the lineup, and there's some good stuff there. There's a lot of good ideas that were fleshed out better in the later games, and it could be cool to see that realized should they do that.

If any game needs a remake it's Genealogy of the Holy War. Even today many consider it to be the best in the series, and it was never released outside Japan.
....yea I'm going to call that to question for sure. People lionize that game way too much. It's a great game for certain but there's many flaws that hardly gets called out.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
First off, great for Koei.

Secondly, this isn't too different for IS. They worked with Nintendo SPD on this type of work for years. SPD was merged and IS handled Echoes on their own (with the typical stuff outsourced).

Now, they needed to find a team to fill the void and here came Koei. What is refreshing is that they gave some of the bigger roles to Koei too. FE has outsoirced their writing from time to time (Revelation, Fates' supports, etc.) but never the whole game. The change frankly shows. I think from a writing and world-building POV this is their finest to date. I'm glad they let Koei help.

I hope this continues to bear fruit for both. As for Graphics, I'm not too bothered, game looks fine. I think people are overreacting a bit. Framerate can be improved when freeroaming and some things look off but the style goes a long way.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
They should be commended for doing a great job! I'm loving pretty much everything the game has presented so far at about 16 hours in.

I'm genuinely surprised at how much I enjoy the Monastery parts and how much more involved it is than I first imagined. All the systems seem to tie in nicely together. I don't really see the "jank" people are referencing... It's hardly Bloodstained or Ark. Performance and graphics could be improved but it seems that's a hardware limitation rather than development issues.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
First off, great for Koei.

Secondly, this isn't too different for IS. They worked with Nintendo SPD on this type of work for years. SPD was merged and IS handled Echoes on their own (with the typical stuff outsourced).

Now, they needed to find a team to fill the void and here came Koei. What is refreshing is that they gave some of the bigger roles to Koei too. FE has outsoirced their writing from time to time (Revelation, Fates' supports, etc.) but never the whole game. The change frankly shows. I think from a writing and world-building POV this is their finest to date. I'm glad they let Koei help.

I hope this continues to bear fruit for both. As for Graphics, I'm not too bothered, game looks fine. I think people are overreacting a bit. Framerate can be improved when freeroaming and some things look off but the style goes a long way.

Nintendo EPD Production Group No. 1 handles the Fire Emblem series. They handle the production and planning of every FE game.

IS is obviously the series co developer, but EPD has taken the series and worked with outside studios on it. This game basically has the Echoes leads from Nintendo EPD and IS doing the lead design and KTG doing most other development.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I checked to make sure, and it turns out all the KT scenario folks outside of Mari Okamoto worked on Samurai Warriors previously, which has fab support conversations too.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Seems like a complicated development. Regardless, kudos to whoever the hell actually made it. Game is fantastic and either my second or third favorite game of the year thus far.

Oct 25, 2017
Visually it reminded me a bit of the Attack on titan game also made by Koei.
They also had some persona like social interactions and probably runs on the Warriors engine (probably what this is using?)

FE Warriors likely helped them get assets and tech ready.
Development still seems really short for what the game is.
FE echoes came out 2017, Warriors later that year.
So Nintendo for some reason thought they'd get it done in a year?

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
....yea I'm going to call that to question for sure. People lionize that game way too much. It's a great game for certain but there's many flaws that hardly gets called out.
It is flawed, but I do think what it gets right balances out the balance issues and the problems that result from the massive maps.

Thracia is probably the one from that era that is worse than its reputation suggests.