• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
This is great news, that means that IS is working on a new Paper Mario and on another project! My guess is a new IP, Advance Wars, or another FE (Echoes?) game.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Advance Wars Switch.. if only.
Probably resting on their laurels on that one since someone else did it for them.

2052489f9e4cccc5181b20de882393de207cd0c5.jpeg

Wargroove is great and really lives up to AW's legacy, but that doesn't stop me from still wanting another AW.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm shocked. The game is amazing and to think IS only had 17 people working on it!

It's interesting that they say kt did the world building. It is really well thought out and a huge improvement from Fates. Going forward they should at least use kt for that aspect of the sequels

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
So you're telling me there's a chance people at IS are working on an FE4 remake already?
Given the obvious inspiration that Three Houses takes from Genealogy, I imagine that they would want to build on this partnership (and the existing groundwork at Koei) if they do get around to remaking FE4.

If any work has been done on a Genealogy remake at this point, it's probably only pre-production.

Would love to be wrong of course.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Impressive, but also pretty damning for Intsys to essentially be upstaged by another developer on their own series.
Not really. IS still oversaw it and IS did the bulk of the heavy lifting with past FE games. Kt replicated that gameplay. I will certainly give kt credit for their world building. IS is lacking in this area

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
No wonder the game is kind ugly. KT can be hit or miss performance wise.id id veen wondwring what was up for years. Fps and everything.
After 2 years it makes more sense.

Now I'm hyped for Paper Mario 2020.
My worry of maybe FE took too much of the staff or whatever isnt there lol.
So I feel confident PM is coming soon.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This is great news, that means that IS is working on a new Paper Mario and on another project! My guess is a new IP, Advance Wars, or another FE (Echoes?) game.

The Paper Mario team seems separate from the FE one. There was little crossover between Color Splash and FE games' credit list. So, yes, it most likely means they'd be working in something else in addition to any possible Paper Mario or Wario Ware (there's actually more shared staff between these two than FE). Either another IP or just the next FE game already.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The entire concept of battalions and the addition of the new stats and skills like charisma and authority really do have the the feeling of a Koei Tecmo strategy game. I'm glad that Kou Shibusawa was given the freedom to innovate on the gameplay and try some new things that are outside of the franchises's comfort zone.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
So basically IS work was to direct the game, as they have several directors (even an Assitant DirCetor, whatever this means), and provided the music and the main artist. Speaking of the main artist now that I know the name, I have searched some other work and oh boy...

tumblr_pkc58sNhA81rvtm26o1_1280.jpg

It seems that Dimitri's design was taken from some BL named Captivate Prince (yep, it fits really well). This makes even more disappointing that the game has not enough gay romance options.

I believe that's based off a book. And now I realize how perfect Dedue and Dmitri fit the main characters lookwise XD

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
That's a bit exciting, honestly. It'd be strange if the bulk of IS was working on a completely separate FE, so I assume they started making something completely different after FE: Echoes that we haven't heard of yet.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda hoping they aren't working on Paper Mario. I feel the series ran its course. would rather them do a new RPG series like Zelda or some shit or something else entirely

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay is good but the presentation is really atrocious. Clipping, bad textures, the cell shaded models are rough, mouth animations are weak on the cutscenes, performance issues...

Still personally i don't care that much because it's really engaging and fun and i haven't been able to stop playing, but damn this game needed more polish...

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
So basically IS work was to direct the game, as they have several directors (even an Assitant DirCetor, whatever this means), and provided the music and the main artist. Speaking of the main artist now that I know the name, I have searched some other work and oh boy...

tumblr_pkc58sNhA81rvtm26o1_1280.jpg

It seems that Dimitri's design was taken from some BL named Captivate Prince (yep, it fits really well). This makes even more disappointing that the game has not enough gay romance options.

Yep, she's an Otome-game/BL character designer. Always dug her designs, even if the fancy eyes sometimes strike me as odd.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda hoping they aren't working on Paper Mario. I feel the series ran its course. would rather them do a new RPG series like Zelda or some shit or something else entirely
With only 5 games and only 3 of them being good? Nah.
With that line of thinking a lot of Nintendo franchises could be argued to be shelfed
Hop on the PM train :)

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
That's pretty crazy. I thought it was the other way around. Not sure how much IS could've learned if so few of their staff participated in the development, but I'm hopeful they'll take away some valuable lessons from this game. You can tell the love that went into the development from fans of the series at KT.

I wonder if they'll be back to help with future games. I'm almost certain Genealogy remake will be next.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
That's super impressive. The game is incredibly fun and I haven't enjoyed a Fire Emblem this much since Path of Radiance.

Koei Tecmo certainly like releasing games with some emphasis on time management.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
I read an article that basically stated that Advance Wars wasn't in their future plans at this time, but damnit I need them to change their mind on that.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With only 5 games and only 3 of them being good? Nah.
With that line of thinking a lot of Nintendo franchises could be argued to be shelfed
Hop on the PM train :)
then shelve them, I don't have a problem with that. Paper Mario just isn't that good to me, and I played 1, 2, and Color Splash. hell, I appreciate Color Splash more than a lot of people here. but Mario just doesn't facilitate what I like about RPGs. rather, the Paper gimmick is too limiting. or maybe they should be more inventive with the world design.

latest

something like Wild Woods. just be more than the usual grounded world design and go crazy. or move to a different IP like Zelda.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
then shelve them, I don't have a problem with that. Paper Mario just isn't that good to me, and I played 1, 2, and Color Splash. hell, I appreciate Color Splash more than a lot of people here. but Mario just doesn't facilitate what I like about RPGs. rather, the Paper gimmick is too limiting. or maybe they should be more inventive with the world design.

latest

something like Wild Woods. just be more than the usual grounded world design and go crazy. or move to a different IP like Zelda.
That's fine, but it sure as hell hasn't run its course because it doesn't appeal to you. The series just needs to go back to its roots to appeal the fans that care about the series already.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fine, but it sure as hell hasn't run its course because it doesn't appeal to you. The series just needs to go back to its roots to appeal the fans that care about the series already.
it's not that "it doesn't appeal to me" but rather IS isn't going to change the things I think has gone stale in the series. going back to an RPG system isn't gonna fix that. nor do they really need to in order to sell well.

I kinda think they see this and is why they started to transition the series into something more story focused.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So you're telling me that the RotK inspired houses and the world-building and the team was supplied by Kou Shibusawa's team?

What do we need IS for except counting Heroes' money? And to think people were shitting on Tecmo for doing licensed DW games and how their stories were trash

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Well that nicely explains why I have so little interest in Three Houses, every preview gave me a Musou vibe with the bland visuals and janky animation. Hopefully the next FE game will be back to Intelligent Systems.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

latest

DK shouldve been shelved after
Konga
Konga 2 konga 3
King of swing
Jungle beat
Barrell blast

Since DK had clearly run its course as a 2d platcormer and had no geat ideas left.

Yoshi shouldve shelved.
Metroid after other M and FF. Shelved.
Mario sports games
A lot always argue kirby is mediocre. Shelved.

Yea, I'd rather just let the guys live. :)
Pm2020

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
The questionable performance and graphics were definitely a big KT hint but if they truly had something to do with the story, characterization and overall gameplay direction then I must that I'm impressed. There's no doubt that this is the best Fire Emblem in years, is probably even better than Awakening (despite that the Metacritic score doesn't reflect that) and thus, I wouldn't mind if KT, especifically the Romance of the Three Kingdoms team, handle their own unique entries from now on.

(Just use a more distinctive artstyle to hide the ugly stuff next time please).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Konga
Konga 2 konga 3
King of swing
Jungle beat
Barrell blast

Since DK had clearly run its course as a 2d platcormer and had no geat ideas left.

Yoshi shouldve shelved.
Mario sports games

Pm2020
Dude Jungle Beat is one of the best platformers ever made

The others are rough but don't you dare lump Jungle Beat with them

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Konga
Konga 2 konga 3
King of swing
Jungle beat
Barrell blast

Yoshi shouldve shelved.
Mario sports games

Pm2020
You won't hear a peep out of me if those series died

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Sooo Black Eagles is obviously Wei
with branch being Jin
but I can't pinpoint the other two. Blue lions of shu and Golden deer is Wu?

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They've done a fantastic job so far. I'm constantly impressed with how much attention was given to world-building. Still, it's fun to poke fun at the jank I've seen so far.

latest

Wild Woods is my favorite Mario Kart 8 course because it's a nostalgic visualization of what I imagine an area in a Mario RPG to look like, coupled with the very fitting music. While I would love a new Paper Mario or a remake of the original, the next Mario RPG doesn't have to be Paper Mario to excite me. It just needs the witty humor, wacky characters, and deviant approach to lore and design that I loved so much about Mario RPGs of the past.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Konga
Konga 2 konga 3
King of swing
Jungle beat
Barrell blast

Yoshi shouldve shelved.
Mario sports games

Pm2020

DK did go on hiatus for a few years and switched developers.

Yoshi arguably should be shelved as there hasn't been a good one since the first one. Yarn/Crafted turned out ok, but would the world really be sad if we'd got original IP or something else from Good-Feel instead of them? Not really.

Metroid being "dead" after Other M was a huge disscussion. It's part of the reason reaction to FF was so bad.

Kirby games are average at times, but no one has argued the series has run its course.

Mario Sports games have been pretty cheap cash ins on the Mario name for ages and if another one never got made no one would cry too much.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Aside from graphics and performance, IS and TK have done an amazing job. This game has everything I love from FE and then some. The localization is also fantastic.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Also, this isn't that weird for FE.
Indeed. People forget the series was conceptualized as a collaboration between Nintendo R&D1 and Intelligent Systems, only with roles almost exactly reversed from where IntSys sits now with them handling design/programming while RD1 led/directed/handled audio.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
KT have done a very good job in all things but the visuals. They need much better art direction as well as improve things on the technical side. The game's visual presentation and design really detracts from an otherwise great game. Performance issues, low quality textures and assets, inconsistent designs/choice, etc are just too common and stand out too much.