Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Great job Ignatz! Showed a lot of hustle out there, even if you didn't kill a single unit. How about you rest on the bench for the next battle, champ? And maybe the entire game?

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Great job Ignatz! Showed a lot of hustle out there, even if you didn't kill a single unit. How about you rest on the bench for the next battle, champ? And maybe the entire game?

Apparently Ignatz can become a decent Assassin... my experience is that he is completely useless and does so little damage that it might actually heal the person he's hitting. He took a seat from very early on and remained there.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So something interesting

My final two students to recruit were Annette and Lysithea. I shared a meal with them to try and push them closer to an a rank support since I already know even without going up a rank more points in = better odds. However after the meal the ! For new support showed up, but it wasn't next to anyone in my party. Annette because of however the game works went from not joining to joining after said meal (Lysithea still said no) but Annette had the support level with Lysithea. So apparently the game either can alert you to supports between characters not in your house that you activate, or can alert you to a support that someone outside of your house but CAN recruit is available.

Very curious to find out the fine details of the recruiting mechanics.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Caspar is terrible*

*If you don't give him EXP, don't develop his brawling ability, or give class change him

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Apparently Ignatz can become a decent Assassin... my experience is that he is completely useless and does so little damage that it might actually heal the person he's hitting. He took a seat from very early on and remained there.

He is my Assassin on my GD playthrough and he is pretty great. He is not as good as Petra but let's face it no one is.

Bro what, Caspar was one of my absolute best units in my BE run through

What are you having him use?

I love the complete polar opposite experiences folks are having with students on their playthroughs. Caspar and Ferdinand were both complete shit on my BE playthrough, I ran without a Brawler and I recruited Leonie to replace Ferdinand.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Ah where do I start? Essentially, I had a back-to-back whiplash on opinion as the story played out. At first I was fully set against Edelgard and defending the Crests from her strike team. Though this was mostly due to not being able to talk it out (the game automatically pit me in a fight against her) and that said strike force of her's was classic badguy stereotype, the minor officer leading them anyway. In addition, was kind annoyed/flabbergasted she immediately went to surprise attack instead of bothering to talk it out with me/her Professor.

But then my opinion suddenly whiplashed after I made her surrender (got all the Crest stones too!) when Rhea told me to kill her. I already had a low/suspicious opinion of Rhea from the beginning due to Jeralt's early warning and it only grew from there as she never told me anything, wanted to keep greater context information from the students (even though they were the ones fighting), and Jeralt's diary reveal in that Rhea shoved Sothis into Byleth's body somehow. So yeah, even if I was annoyed at Edelgard's sudden betrayal, Rhea going overzealous and ordering me to kill my student was enough to turn me over to Edel's side.

However, I do have some wonders about the Flame Emperor's reveal being Edelgard, which I hope gets addressed soon. Such as Edelgard/Flame Emperor being briefly allied with Dark Knight and conversing with redhead student/dad murderer, particularly the latter point as I'm not sure if I can 100% get behind Edelgard if she was involved with Jeralt's death.

I was the same way about those chapters, though I mostly wanted to smack Hubert and Edel around on my off hours. But as soon as I got the crazy eyes cutscene outta Rhea, my stubborn side was like "You're not the boss of me, lady." I did save my end of fight savegame in case I want to go back and see the church route down the road.

But as someone who enjoys gameplay first and story second, there's no way I'm just going to up and lose two of my strongest units just cause Rhea didn't get what she wanted outta me.

Then again, I don't get 100% behind anyone in this game cause all of them are derps in some way or the other. And Byleth being a poorly dressed blank slate murder factory who protects everyone in the Strike Force (even Ferdinand) doesn't make me want to preserve the societal status quo. Because I will forever be the outsider sensei.

I'm really sad that the character designers for modern Fire Emblem titles seem to have the worst taste in women's fashion ever. The female hero designs have steadily worsened over the years. At least it's not quite Camilla and Manuela level ridiculous yet.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
BL chapter 17:

I couldn't bring myself to kill Bernie so I just beelined for Edelgard, Seteh one-shot her, then I was HOPING it would be over but no - so my Lysethia warped my Byleth straight into the middle of all the alliance folks in front of Claude and I one-shot him, forcing him to retreat. Nobody died all fight! lmao

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come to think of it, I don't think there's a single Black Eagles member who is less than a 4/5 unit. To wit:

Edelgard - Your rock
Hubie - One of the most broken mage nuke in the series. What Lilina fans pretend her character is actually like
Caspar - Will literally beat every enemy to death
Ferdinand - His growths are top class for a non-lord unit, and he can be made to do literally anything well.
Linhardt - Warp, Physic, Recover... this guy's got white magic on lock. But he also makes for a terrific offensive unit due to his strong wind spells (Excalibur!!!)
Bernadetta - Her signature ability and crest make her the best bow unit. You know, the game where Bow units are ridiculous good.
Petra - F-f-fast as hell, versatile duelist. Super reliable.
Dorothea - Capable mage, with some terrific ranged options (Physic and freaking Meteor), optimal dancer.

Best house

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
lmao, chapter 12 on GD after beating BE E has me feeling like

do I really have to defend this place?

Lmao me too though

And Chapter 13 be like:

"I know you really care about Rhea"

I do not give a shit about her lol, when did Byleth suddenly decide to start caring about her

Oct 25, 2017
He is my Assassin on my GD playthrough and he is pretty great, not as good as Petra but let's face it no one is.

I love the complete polar opposite experiences folks are having with students on their playthroughs. Caspar and Ferdinand were both complete shit on my BE playthrough, I ran without a Brawler and I recruited Leonie to replace Ferdinand.

Ignatz can be really good. +20 Hit innate, +20 Hit from Archer mastery means that as Sniper he can hit enemies way the fuck away in ways that anybody else in the game can't. His Str sucks, so you need to fish for targets that are softies or can get crit.

Cyril is about as good as Petra/Felix. Both of those two are off a bit in either Speed or Dex, but Cyril's growth rate is the max in both.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I'm really sad that the character designers for modern Fire Emblem titles seem to have the worst taste in women's fashion ever. The female hero designs have steadily worsened over the years. At least it's not quite Camilla and Manuela level ridiculous yet.

Personally I enjoyed FemRobin's look from Awakening. But FemByleth isn't doing anyone nay favors yeah

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Come to think of it, I don't think there's a single Black Eagles member who is less than a 4/5 unit. To wit:

Edelgard - Your rock
Hubie - One of the most broken mage nuke in the series. What Lilina fans pretend her character is actually like
Ferdinand - His growths are top class for a non-lord unit, and he can be made to do literally anything well.
Linhardt - Warp, Physic, Recover... this guy's got white magic on lock. But he also makes for a terrific offensive unit due to his strong wind spells (Excalibur!!!)
Bernadetta - Her signature ability and crest make her the best bow unit. You know, the game where Bow units are ridiculous good.
Dorothea - Capable mage, with some terrific ranged options (Physic and freaking Meteor), optimal dancer.

Best house
Bernie I think needs either some lucky levels or a Brave Bow (or the Relic that goes with her crest) to really go ham, but since you can always get one for her, I'm comfortable putting her in a top tier slot. Caspar and Ferdie are marginal due to some weaker Growth %'s than the rest of the BE, IMO. Ferdinand is flexible, but if Caspar get some bad levels (which has a much higher chance of happening because of the aforementioned growths) he can fall off really easy.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie I think needs either some lucky levels or a Brave Bow (or the Relic that goes with her crest) to really go ham, but since you can always get one for her, I'm comfortable putting her in a top tier slot. Caspar and Ferdie are marginal due to some weaker Growth %'s than the rest of the BE, IMO. Ferdinand is flexible, but if Caspar get some bad levels (which has a much higher chance of happening because of the aforementioned growths) he can fall off really easy.
Wait, Bernie can get a relic?

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
They really could have put some more work into a lot of these Combat Arts animations. I really do like some of them but others are just laughable, you would think a Combat Art called Assassinate would look cool right? LOL nope...

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019

Edelgard - Your rock

Best house
I'm curious what path did you take your Caspar on, mine was a War master and while he had really good strength his speed was kind of mediocre and he couldn't be left alone more than 2 battles without healing because he would die, maybe mine just got unlucky with levelups but i felt like he was definitely the weaker link on my team and the one i fed the most easy kills.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie's really slacking for me as an archer compared to Claude and Leonie, despite her good ability and crest. But the RNG gods might not have been so kind with her.

Though I guess I'm comparing her to mounted archers.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

With Bernie, class promotions stat adjustments and Energy Drops will make up for her strength deficiencies. She has a 35% personal strength growth, so relying on luck isn't the way to about it imo. It's best to plan around her assuming you'll get strength screwed and go from there.

Ferdinand's growths aren't weaker than the rest of the BE. Dude has the second highest HP, strength and speed growths and tied for the highest defense (alongside Edelgard). Relative to the entire series he's a statistical juggernaut.

It's literally impossible for Caspar to be bad. Gauntlets are too effective in this game, so even if get strength screwed, promoting will auto-correct your stats to ensure you never totally fall off. Caspar picks up Death Blow super quick via Brigand and his signature skill and an accuracy ring ensures he pretty he never misses while beating enemies to death.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I benched Ferdie the moment I recruited Sylvain. Their growth rates are very similar so I think I got RNGed hard because Sylvain outclassed him in every possible way.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what path did you take your Caspar on, mine was a War master and while he had really good strength his speed was kind of mediocre and he couldn't be left alone more than 2 battles without healing because he would die, maybe mine just got unlucky with levelups but i felt like he was definitely the weaker link on my team and the one i fed the most easy kills.

Caspar is built to be a brawler. His personal effectively gives him +10% accuracy to the enemy he targets (and it stacks with the accuracy ring).

Making him work pretty much comes down to picking up Death Blow from Brigand and sticking to a punch class and just beating things to death. People who have trouble with him probably made him an axe user (suboptimal) or split their focus.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Ferdinand is a goddamn god on my playthrough. He hits like a truck and 90% of the enemies can't do damage to him.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
With Bernie, class promotions stat adjustments and Energy Drops will make up for her strength deficiencies. She has a 35% personal strength growth, so relying on luck isn't the way to about it imo. It's best to plan around her assuming you'll get strength screwed and go from there.

Ferdinand's growths aren't weaker than the rest of the BE. Dude has the second highest HP, strength and speed growths and tied for the highest defense (alongside Edelgard). Relative to the entire series he's a statistical juggernaut.

It's literally impossible for Caspar to be bad. Gauntlets are too effective in this game, so even if get strength screwed, promoting will auto-correct your stats to ensure you never totally fall off. Caspar picks up Death Blow super quick via Brigand and his signature skill and an accuracy ring ensures he pretty he never misses while beating enemies to death.
Brave Bow guaranteeing Bernie doubles or quadruples *is* how I compensate for her Strength deficiencies lol - she's already getting the stat boosters, but you only get so many.

I hadn't considered the Brigand thing. Might be worth taking him back to that and grinding it up. Compared to the other top tier frontliners I still say he takes too much XP and effort, though.

Ferdy being second on everything is sort of his whole issue, IMO. Maybe relative to the rest of the series he's great, but relative to the rest of the Eagles and the other great units I'm poaching, I'm comfortable putting him down a tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.