Not open for further replies.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Edelgard during the Golden Deer route:

1Q7cOBU.jpg

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Seteth is so cool and much better than Rhea.
Can she never come back?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Man they really botched the
Death of Jeralt

I felt more emotion from the fucking meme soldier then I did from anything related to Byleth

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Death of Jeralt

I felt more emotion from the fucking meme soldier then I did from anything related to Byleth

Byleth shows no emotion at any point and its insanely frustrating. Every scene that is supposed to have any impact is immediately ruined by him/her.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Death of Jeralt

They sure did. You just never have an opportunity prior to really develop any kind of relationship with Jeralt because of how little he's around, so there's barely any impact when he dies. Some of the reactions of your characters in the aftermath were nice, but the event itself is kinda lame (and also super predictable).
Seteth is so cool and much better than Rhea.
Can she never come back?
He really comes to his own post-timeskip in that arc. He turns from a weird, suspicious square into a surprisingly cool, passionate dude who cares a whole lot about everything.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, FE Avatars need to DIE.

It just feels so half-baked. I don't get why they couldn't voice the dialogue options you choose. There isn't a substantial amount. I made a comment an hour or so ago about the "romance" with Leonie. She keeps talking and it keeps cutting back to Byleth and its just him with that dumb smirk nodding. Its so fucking bad, I don't understand why. This game isn't a deep character driven RPG, hell most of the time when they give you two dialogue options it leads to the same response. There's no reason Byleth couldn't voice them.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Its too bad too because female Byleth has a really good voice

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
So I just hit the timeskip in Silver Snow (BE-C), and one of my recruits, ~~~Ashe~~~ didn't rejoin the squad. I'm hoping they'll show up in a few months and this is a plot thing, but... that seems strange. They're not so plot critical that I'd expect them to get special handling, y'know?

Still, it'd suck if they're gone forever. I'd put some good work into developing them.
I'm on BE-C as well and
He shows up in a later chapter, just defeat him with Byleth and you'll get the option to spare him and recruit him back.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I liked was
when Byleth cried (kind of), but I didn't like how little there was regarding Byleth and Jeralt's interactions with each other.
Not really a fan of the silent avatar stuff either. I would prefer having the avatar speak just like the other characters. This would make support convos and dialogue choices much better. Alternatively, have no avatar character and stick to the main character being a noble or whatever who leads his people to battle.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
On the load screens, you can make the little pixel Byleth jump with the B button. Not only that, they run based on your controller's gyro.

This is vital tactical information I felt I must share.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The only thing I liked was
when Byleth cried (kind of), but I didn't like how little there was regarding Byleth and Jeralt's interactions with each other.
Not really a fan of the silent avatar stuff either. I would prefer having the avatar speak just like the other characters. This would make support convos and dialogue choices much better. Alternatively, have no avatar character and stick to the main character being a noble or whatever who leads his people to battle.
With everybody being fully voiced it is even more awkward to have a silent protagonist. It is the Breath of The Wild situation all over again.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Death of Jeralt

I actually feel really sorry for Byleth.

That they're a broken human being, really a vessel for Sothis as much as they are their own person incapable of expressing any strong emotion outside of extreme personal circumstances is tragic.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I actually feel really sorry for Byleth.

That they're a broken human being, really a vessel for Sothis as much as they are their own person incapable of expressing any strong emotion outside of extreme personal circumstances is tragic.

I honestly feel like that is used as an excuse. It could have been done in a more elegant way but instead comes off as a crutch to support the reason why the character isn't voiced. Its seriously the most jarring thing in the game, the more I played the more ridiculous it felt.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I love my GD fam a lot but I kinda feel like they're the 'we're caught in the middle of this fucking bullshit' of the three houses so far

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly feel like that is used as an excuse. It could have been done in a more elegant way but instead comes off as a crutch to support the reason why the character isn't voiced. Its seriously the most jarring thing in the game, the more I played the more ridiculous it felt.
While I'm sure it was done in service of the writing to some extent, I don't see it as a crutch. Other RPGs have similarly depicted protagonists (Persona, etc.), but don't deliberately depict that character as an emotional void in canon.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Byleth doesn't talk much but she does end up with the best crit quote.

HERE IS SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It can. But I'd just start from your branching save, then take whichever endstate you prefer into NG+ for the other two routes.

If you do want to redo it all though, NG+ can make it faster. You retain all your statue bonuses, including doubled class EXP, increased skill EXP, increased EXP, etc., and you can buy back your professor level and specific characters' previously earned skill levels / mastery abilities with renown, so you can effectively auto-tutor and skip most of the busywork without being penalized significantly, since you'll still be ahead of the curve.
Cool, thanks for the advice.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Are the other two teachers worth recruiting? I don't see the point when I already have enough students and.the battles are only 10-12 characters per map.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, FE Avatars need to DIE.
Die or evolve. You can do a fully voiced, fully customizable, fully involved avatar. It's just, you know, expensive, and honestly it's not something that seems to be in JRPG's DNA. Hell, it's not really in anybody's DNA other than Bioware. So I'm not exactly expecting it in future titles.

I'd agree that the current status quo needs to go.

Are the other two teachers worth recruiting? I don't see the point when I already have enough students and.the battles are only 10-12 characters per map.
Not in combat, honestly. Manuela and Hahnemann are kind of outclassed by the students unless you've been getting real bad rolls. They're nice to have around the monastery later, though, and some of their supports are solid.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone that chose BE at the beginning is definitely going to GD for the second playthrough.

Nah, I'm going BL 2nd playthrough...primarily because of this scene...

H0vAVZ9.jpg

I'm looking forward to Punished Dimitri making diamonds from dead students' ashes.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm on Chapter 9 (have been super busy this week so haven't been able to play as much as I'd hoped).

How soon can I recruit Daddy Alois so I can finally bench Caspar's useless ass?

Oct 25, 2017
Not in combat, honestly. Manuela and Hahnemann are kind of outclassed by the students unless you've been getting real bad rolls. They're nice to have around the monastery later, though, and some of their supports are solid.

Hanneman has been better than Lysithia for me. Better ranged spells (Thoron + Meteor) and more survivability at the expense of Speed/Dex... but his Magic is high enough and range good enough that it isn't hard to find a target that dies in one hit without a crit or double. Lysithia's bad worse range is a total liability for her short range. I think she's the only "hard" caster that is totally stuck to 1-2 range spells?

Last edited:

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a few chapters deep into Blue Lions, and I have to say I enjoy Dimitri as a character so much more than I anticipated.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Questions for those who've completed BL:

at what point can I finally talk to Dimitri again / invite him for lunch / instruct him / have social conversations? because it's getting annoying. just tell me which chapter or so, I'm just about to do the Gronder field battle.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Holy shit, doing Black Eagles run and I did the climax battle of Chapter 11 now sitting at the start of Chapter 12

Ah where do I start? Essentially, I had a back-to-back whiplash on opinion as the story played out. At first I was fully set against Edelgard and defending the Crests from her strike team. Though this was mostly due to not being able to talk it out (the game automatically pit me in a fight against her) and that said strike force of her's was classic badguy stereotype, the minor officer leading them anyway. In addition, was kind annoyed/flabbergasted she immediately went to surprise attack instead of bothering to talk it out with me/her Professor.

But then my opinion suddenly whiplashed after I made her surrender (got all the Crest stones too!) when Rhea told me to kill her. I already had a low/suspicious opinion of Rhea from the beginning due to Jeralt's early warning and it only grew from there as she never told me anything, wanted to keep greater context information from the students (even though they were the ones fighting), and Jeralt's diary reveal in that Rhea shoved Sothis into Byleth's body somehow. So yeah, even if I was annoyed at Edelgard's sudden betrayal, Rhea going overzealous and ordering me to kill my student was enough to turn me over to Edel's side.

However, I do have some wonders about the Flame Emperor's reveal being Edelgard, which I hope gets addressed soon. Such as Edelgard/Flame Emperor being briefly allied with Dark Knight and conversing with redhead student/dad murderer, particularly the latter point as I'm not sure if I can 100% get behind Edelgard if she was involved with Jeralt's death.

Overall, the story is both surprising and really enjoyable though I feel that Chapter 10/Chapter 11 coulda been shortened in terms of pacing in regards to the big story beats here; feels like stuff was accelerating but instead just carried the same pace of wandering the Monastery like any other Chapter.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, doing Black Eagles run and I did the climax battle of Chapter 11 now sitting at the start of Chapter 12

Ah where do I start? Essentially, I had a back-to-back whiplash on opinion as the story played out. At first I was fully set against Edelgard and defending the Crests from her strike team. Though this was mostly due to not being able to talk it out (the game automatically pit me in a fight against her) and that said strike force of her's was classic badguy stereotype, the minor officer leading them anyway. In addition, was kind annoyed/flabbergasted she immediately went to surprise attack instead of bothering to talk it out with me/her Professor.

But then my opinion suddenly whiplashed after I made her surrender (got all the Crest stones too!) when Rhea told me to kill her. I already had a low/suspicious opinion of Rhea from the beginning due to Jeralt's early warning and it only grew from there as she never told me anything, wanted to keep greater context information from the students (even though they were the ones fighting), and Jeralt's diary reveal in that Rhea shoved Sothis into Byleth's body somehow. So yeah, even if I was annoyed at Edelgard's sudden betrayal, Rhea going overzealous and ordering me to kill my student was enough to turn me over to Edel's side.

However, I do have some wonders about the Flame Emperor's reveal being Edelgard, which I hope gets addressed soon. Such as Edelgard/Flame Emperor being briefly allied with Dark Knight and conversing with redhead student/dad murderer, particularly the latter point as I'm not sure if I can 100% get behind Edelgard if she was involved with Jeralt's death.

Overall, the story is both surprising and really enjoyable though I feel that Chapter 10/Chapter 11 coulda been shortened in terms of pacing in regards to the big story beats here; feels like stuff was accelerating but instead just carried the same pace of wandering the Monastery like any other Chapter.

All I can say is: You make the bed you lie in ;)

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I was even more annoyed by it since I was using the DLC outfit for Byleth primarily because her default is so godawful. As soon as I maxed out Enlightened One I switched classes, never to return. Those horrid overly large-patterned tights and crop top armor irritates me.
was so hoping that her outfit would get better after her canon promotion and then I got that instead. :(

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm like 8 hours in and this game is so slow it's kind of hard to keep going. Like basically nothing's happened in the plot. Compared to Fates this is a snoozefest.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I see people talking about choir practice being like food +Authority+Faith experience, but I don't remember ever getting motivation boosts from the folks I brought to choir. Am I misremembering?

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm like 8 hours in and this game is so slow it's kind of hard to keep going. Like basically nothing's happened in the plot. Compared to Fates this is a snoozefest.

Yeah i'd recommend ditching this game as soon as possible if I were you.

If you don't like what's been put on the table for 8 hours, it's better to forget about it entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.