• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Corrin crying in a corner.

Also are you saying Edelgard or Byleth is an interesting character? I agree with the former, but I don't really get the latter, be it the male or female form. They just come off as blank inserts to me, and that's after doing 3 out of 4 routes as both of them.
We don't speak of Fates, and I meant non-player character lords. I'd also argue Edelgard is very much canonically bi. I was saying Edelgard is an interesting character, to be clear. Byleth is a weird character that is both a self-insert and simultaneously not.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and their monastery dialog is good too, like Hilda sticking up for Marianne when rumors start to spread about her. It's such a shame their support was just instance #26 of Hilda offloading her work on someone else.
It was the opposite, though. It was Hilda trying to offload her work on someone at first, sure, but then it's her settling into helping Marianne do everything then spending time with her sharing pastries, drinking tea and talking. That turned into their thing and I think it's kinda great. She does a lot of "tending" to Marianne and her needs outside of the supports and the supports are a different aspect of that same notion.

Also they're a cotton candy couple and, despite the hard exterior, somethings manage to find their way to my soft center.

Jun 11, 2019
I can't say I think the writing surrounding Byleth is particularly noteworthy but it's more than I can say for other silent self-inserts in these kinds of games.

I still think they mostly shine in fandom related content, I weirdly love the perception of them as this hyper competent teacher who's mostly clueless about anything not involving fighting or fishing

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I think the writing surrounding Byleth is particularly noteworthy but it's more than I can say for other silent self-inserts in these kinds of games.

I still think they mostly shine in fandom related content, I weirdly love the perception of them as this hyper competent teacher who's mostly clueless about anything not involving fighting or fishing
That's pretty much her actual characterization in game. We're told (and technically shown) that she's a great teacher, we get a shocking amount of fishing related information about her and Jeralt, she's a 21 year old with a well known mercenary moniker from her enemies, and we get her not knowing anything about anything outside of combat and the aforementioned fishing.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Corrin crying in a corner.

Also are you saying Edelgard or Byleth is an interesting character? I agree with the former, but I don't really get the latter, be it the male or female form. They just come off as blank inserts to me, and that's after doing 3 out of 4 routes as both of them.
I think Byleth is interesting in Crimson Flower specifically because that route gives her greater agency than the other routes and pairs well thematically with Edelgard

Both Byleth and Edelgard were shaped into tools for the use of Rhea and TWSitD respectively and set off on a collision course with each other. But instead of fulfilling their destined roles of reenacting the conflict of Seiros and Nemesis, Byleth took the leap of faith that allowed them to be together and reclaim their humanity, both literally and figuratively.

Anyways, fanart

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017

speaking of

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Who is then? Unless you mean Claude, forgot about him since I haven't played his route.
All of the house leader Lords in Three Houses are playable. They aren't the central lead like Byleth or Corrin, but they're playable.

Also, Corrin does have bi relationships, as awkward and awful as the writing in Fates is.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I think Byleth is interesting in Crimson Flower specifically because that route gives her greater agency than the other routes and pairs well thematically with Edelgard

Both Byleth and Edelgard were shaped into tools for the use of Rhea and TWSitD respectively and set off on a collision course with each other. But instead of fulfilling their destined roles of reenacting the conflict of Seiros and Nemesis, Byleth took the leap of faith that allowed them to be together and reclaim their humanity, both literally and figuratively.

Anyways, fanart

Byleths mother Sitri was the tool that Rhea created (Sitri was a homunculus/flesh golem/artificial human with sothis's heart) in an effort to revive Sothis. When it didn't work she let her do as she wish, which ended up with her fucking Jeralt and giving birth to Byleth. Byleth was going to be a stillborn (I guess homunculi aren't perfect), unless Rhea transfered Sitri/Sothis's heart into Byleth, which Sitri begged Rhea to do to save her child, and Rhea obliged. Rhea went on to HOPE that this would end up reviving sothis, but otherwise this event was not planned. Well I suppose she tried to have sothis revive when Byleths hair turned green by having them sit on the throne. Anyway, Rhea barely shaped Byleth.
Rhea doesn't get her wish in any route, but she comes to terms with it in VW and SS.

Rhea wanted to trade Byleths life for her Mothers because she has issues relating to her trauma.
Twistied wanted to use Edel to kill the remaning Nabataians, thus genociding the survivors of a dying race.

Actually, you know what, we get so much damn discussion about Edelguard and so little about Rhea, who has incredible trauma like Edel and also belives herself to be doing the right thing, at least before the events of CF.

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, you know what, we get so much damn discussion about Edelguard and so little about Rhea, who has incredible trauma like Edel and also belives herself to be doing the right thing, at least before the events of CF.
See the Snape vs James Potter topic for an extreme example of the reason for this (no, i am not equating Edelgard to Snape in terms of guilt or Rhea to James in terms of innocence, calm the furious typing I already see some of you starting). Edelgard is main cast and in opposition to Rhea. It doesn't matter what the text says, that simple fact is going to color people's views on the characters.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Byleths mother Sitri was the tool that Rhea created (Sitri was a homunculus/flesh golem/artificial human with sothis's heart) in an effort to revive Sothis. When it didn't work she let her do as she wish, which ended up with her fucking Jeralt and giving birth to Byleth. Byleth was going to be a stillborn (I guess homunculi aren't perfect), unless Rhea transfered Sitri/Sothis's heart into Byleth, which Sitri begged Rhea to do to save her child, and Rhea obliged. Rhea went on to HOPE that this would end up reviving sothis, but otherwise this event was not planned. Well I suppose she tried to have sothis revive when Byleths hair turned green by having them sit on the throne. Anyway, Rhea barely shaped Byleth.
Rhea doesn't get her wish in any route, but she comes to terms with it in VW and SS.

Rhea wanted to trade Byleths life for her Mothers because she has issues relating to her trauma.
Twistied wanted to use Edel to kill the remaning Nabataians, thus genociding the survivors of a dying race.

As someone that generally sides with Rhea, it is moderately infuriating that the fandom just argues whether Edelgard is right or wrong without considering Rhea's point of view and the immense level of shit she's been through herself.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
As someone that generally sides with Rhea, it is moderately infuriating that the fandom just argues whether Edelgard is right or wrong without considering Rhea's point of view and the immense level of shit she's been through herself.

The things would have been different if Seteth was around for her, she was full of trauma, alone and with the responsability of being the Pope.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I have pointed out that the thing with Edelgard is that she's impatient Rhea. Everything that's happened to her is a condensed version of the things that happened to Rhea while her mortal (or less) life span leads her to take the most expedient path to fixing the problems with which she's been faced. Immediate, intense, mass suffering in pursuit of a long term fix vs protracted minimized mass suffering while the problem works itself out long term.

Which has been Seiros' MO from the start. If she wanted to prevent all of this she could have simply ended the clans and bloodlines of the 10 Elites, but she chose to spare everyone but the Elites themselves.

There is no one more infuriating than yourself but with one big change.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Oh I'm well aware. But despite the roadbumps and unforeseen turns along the path - honestly all of Rhea's attempts to revive Sothis were some degree of just winging it and hoping for the best - the intention remained: Byleth was the vessel for the revival of Sothis. When Byleth reappeared at the monastery, Rhea put Byleth right back on track, giving her a position at the academy to keep an eye on her, insisting she keep the Sword of the Creator and taking her to the Holy Tomb for the revelation. Rhea pursued every lead she had to revive Sothis, and the fact that she had to call a lot of audibles along the way and readjust her plan doesn't diminish how she molded Byleth's future to be anything other than her own.

I'm sympathetic to Rhea. She's enduring horrible tragedy and heartbreak. But at the same time she's inflicted so much suffering on the continent, whether through intentional act or neglect, and is responsible for why Fodlan is such the shitshow it is. Even though I sympathize with her, ultimately she has to go. She realizes this herself even, at least in all the routes where she doesn't burn a city of her own followers out of spite.

Relevant:

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Oh I'm well aware. But despite the roadbumps and unforeseen turns along the path - honestly all of Rhea's attempts to revive Sothis were some degree of just winging it and hoping for the best - the intention remained: Byleth was the vessel for the revival of Sothis. When Byleth reappeared at the monastery, Rhea put Byleth right back on track, giving her a position at the academy to keep an eye on her, insisting she keep the Sword of the Creator and taking her to the Holy Tomb for the revelation. Rhea pursued every lead she had to revive Sothis, and the fact that she had to call a lot of audibles along the way and readjust her plan doesn't diminish how she molded Byleth's future to be anything other than her own.

I'm sympathetic to Rhea. She's enduring horrible tragedy and heartbreak. But at the same time she's inflicted so much suffering on the continent, whether through intentional act or neglect, and is responsible for why Fodlan is such the shitshow it is. Even though I sympathize with her, ultimately she has to go. She realizes this herself even, at least in all the routes where she doesn't burn a city of her own followers out of spite.

Relevant:

Haha
Yeah, she really doesn't take the bearer of the heart of her mother betraying her well. She's an entirely different character on CF to the other routes. It's generally seen as the betrayal being the last straw for her leading her to just straight up snap. Carring such insane trauma can do things to a person. Trauma made Edelgard start a war.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Haha
Yeah, she really doesn't take the bearer of the heart of her mother betraying her well. She's an entirely different character on CF to the other routes. It's generally seen as the betrayal being the last straw for her leading her to just straight up snap. Carring such insane trauma can do things to a person. Trauma made Edelgard start a war.
She's a Fire Emblem dragon who has been operating non-stop for millennia. She's pretty much hanging onto her last strands of sanity by the time we meet her. Stopping the missles in Silver Snow pushes her over the edge too. So yeah, the stress accelerates the degeneration in Crimson Flower.

In Verdant Wind she's too weak to survive stopping the missles, so it's not an issue.

But for real though, why aren't all three lords in this game bisexual.

Well one reason could be that either IS/Koei don't want to alienate audiences with having the MC have gay relationship with one of the lords.

In terms of LGBT romances in games you still see more lesbian relationships compared to the former because to game companies that is more palatable/accepted

Last edited:

R.D.Blax

Oct 26, 2017
But for real though, why aren't all three lords in this game bisexual.

Because it's a game made by straight japanese man who doesn't realize (or don't want to acknoledge) that you don't need to be an effeminate man to be gay.

Anyway, it's been like 6 months since the game is out and I still haven't seen art of the actual best pairing in the game

Edelgard x Rhea

I'm pretty disappointed right now

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Im well aware of the likely reason why Claude and Dimitri aren't bisexual, but I'll keep pointing out the absurdity of it as often as I get.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's a game made by straight japanese man who doesn't realize (or don't want to acknoledge) that you don't need to be an effeminate man to be gay.

Anyway, it's been like 6 months since the game is out and I still haven't seen art of the actual best pairing in the game

Edelgard x Rhea

I'm pretty disappointed right now
You're not the only one who went looking.

And this is the reason why Crimson Flower is a What if side story. Because it makes Hilda/Marianne impossible and that is simply not a world anyone should want to live in.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, its a shame Claude and Dimitri weren't options for male Byleth considering how head over heels they were for you (Dimitri especially). Glad I played BL with female Byleth, otherwise it would have been frustrating.

And this is the reason why Crimson Flower is a What if side story. Because it makes Hilda/Marianne impossible and that is simply not a world anyone should want to live in.

Preach