• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thinking I'm going to just deal with 30FPS. I prefer playing this on my couch and the framerate fluctuation between 50-60FPS paired with the stuttering is bugging me a bit too much.

Anyone else with a 1070 going this route and have some setting recommendations? Bonus if it holds up in chapter 3 onwards.

I have a 980ti (so basically a 1070) and I posted earlier about my similar experience:

Okay I did some more tests on my 980ti/i5 4690/16 GB of RAM. All these tests are over the course of Chapter 1. TRAM is always on high (never highest), the other settings are changed as I mention them:

1440p:

High settings: A fluctuating 55-60 FPS with everything on high, all Nvidia stuff off. much closer to the 55 side during combat. It's noticeable but I was still fairly comfortable playing it this was as a 60 FPS experience.

Maxed: With everything maxed it hovers around 40-45 fps.

4K:

High Settings: With the exact same settings as the first 1440p test, you get a fluctuating 25-30 FPS at native 4k. So everything on high, all Nvidia stuff off. Much more toward the 25 side in combat. Doesn't feel great. I think you'd have to turn too much stuff down to get a solid 30, not really worth it.

75% Resolution Scaling: At 75% scaling, so 1620p, I can max everything out and get a pretty damn consistent 30fps. Didn't really see it drop at all. That said I don't know if this will hold up in later chapters.

Not sure If I want to play at 1440p/High/60 fps or at 1620p/Maxed/30fps. Hmmm.

I'll probably go the 4k at 75% stalling maxed route since like you said, the 55-60 fps probably ain't going to hold in chapter 3 and beyond.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Was anyone else's jaw on the floor when they first went to the Duscae region? The PC version already blew away the console version, but seeing Duscae with al the settings maxed out on the PC version has been incredible! It looks so far and above the console version that it's crazy.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was anyone else's jaw on the floor when they first went to the Duscae region? The PC version already blew away the console version, but seeing Duscae with al the settings maxed out on the PC version has been incredible! It looks so far and above the console version that it's crazy.
That's how I felt when I saw Duscae for the first time on ps4pro. Excited to see it on my gtx 1070.

While some enjoyed the lighting of Duscae in the old Console demo more than the final product in the game, the overall aesthetic in the final Console version was much better

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Worse. Pro is average.
Seriously?

If that's the case then I'm happy with I'm getting. Specs are below but running the game on Average with models pushed to high and geo on. I left the FPS at 60fps but I'm normally moving between high 30s in combat and the 40s and 50s every other time. I could lock it to 30 but I don't mind the changes. I might eventually just it down though. I think I have FXAA on instead of the other but don't remember.

FX-8320 3.5ghz
1060 3GB
16Gb Ram

Just like with the demo I could push things on High but it's just not worth it to me. For the little change I see or know is happening it's not worth the game dropping to single digits or struggling to reach high 20s. If I'm hitting PS4 Pro levels on Average then good. I'd rather have the ground tessellation settings on and higher overall frame rate then the game looking even just a bit more prettier.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking I'm going to just deal with 30FPS. I prefer playing this on my couch and the framerate fluctuation between 50-60FPS paired with the stuttering is bugging me a bit too much.

Anyone else with a 1070 going this route and have some setting recommendations? Bonus if it holds up in chapter 3 onwards.

Yeah, I think the only real option for 1070s is to lock the frame rate to 30. Frame rate absolutely tanks in Chapter 3, nothing I did could maintain a steady 60fps.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously?

If that's the case then I'm happy with I'm getting. Specs are below but running the game on Average with models pushed to high and geo on. I left the FPS at 60fps but I'm normally moving between high 30s in combat and the 40s and 50s every other time. I could lock it to 30 but I don't mind the changes. I might eventually just it down though. I think I have FXAA on instead of the other but don't remember.

FX-8320 3.5ghz
1060 3GB
16Gb Ram

Just like with the demo I could push things on High but it's just not worth it to me. For the little change I see or know is happening it's not worth the game dropping to single digits or struggling to reach high 20s. If I'm hitting PS4 Pro levels on Average then good. I'd rather have the ground tessellation settings on and higher overall frame rate then the game looking even just a bit more prettier.

I have the same gfx card, but on a i7700k 4.5, ssd evo nvme, 16gb ram 4000. The game runs like ass for me. I have no choice but to get a 1080ti once i get my tax return next month. I wont be playing it until then.

Deleted member 2102

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 980ti (so basically a 1070) and I posted earlier about my similar experience:
Thanks! Forgot how comparable the 980ti and 1070 were. Gonna give these a go when I get back to the port. I'd be happier with 60FPS+visual downgrades if it were more consistent, but locked (or mostly locked) 30+visual upgrades would still be a huge improvement over the PS4/Pro versions.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Current settings on GTX 1060 6GB, 12GB Ram & I5-4460

Averaging about 40-55 FPS in open world & 60 in dungeons and a nice 60 too in cutscenes

I'm going through some of the comments and I should turn down TRAM to high for my 1060?
Turn TRAM and shadows down to high.

A more scientific evaluation of that claim takes some time.
How are you isolating Denuvo? Are you actually profiling, or does the Windows Store version really not have Denuvo (even then, how can you distinguish from the Steam API overhead)? (I'm sure it'll be explained in the article, but I'm curious now about how you're approaching the evaluation.)

This is very weird
I had way better performance with my 1080 Ti in the demo. Even with VXAO off, I don't have a stable 30 FPS at 4K with everything maxed, nor 1440p gives me a stable 60 FPS anymore in battles.
Did you turn off ShadowLibs as well (that wasn't supported in the demo either).

The demo had the hi-spec assets included, so assuming you had the assets option on, there shouldn't be any real difference.

Putting TRAM on high makes my 1060 6gb only at 60-65% usage while at highest it goes all the way to 98-99%

Is this how TRAM is supposed to work?
TRAM is a reserve for texture streaming. You'll want it on high (with 6GB, highest will claim most of your VRAM for the streaming cache, and everything else will have to fight over the small bit that's left).

Artadius

Avenger
Jan 15, 2018
PC Steam: When I start the game up, my mouse is in the middle of the screen. This is an issue when I decide to boot up and play in my living room with my Steam Link and I'm not using a Steam Controller to move the mouse out of the way. I end up having to walk into my office and move the mouse pointer down to the bottom left of the screen otherwise it never hides and stays on my screen even though I'm playing with a controller.

Anyone else experience this and know how to fix it so the mouse pointer goes away automatically when using controller?

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
PC Steam: When I start the game up, my mouse is in the middle of the screen. This is an issue when I decide to boot up and play in my living room with my Steam Link and I'm not using a Steam Controller to move the mouse out of the way. I end up having to walk into my office and move the mouse pointer down to the bottom left of the screen otherwise it never hides and stays on my screen even though I'm playing with a controller.

Anyone else experience this and know how to fix it so the mouse pointer goes away automatically when using controller?

Happens everyone because you have to press F1 toggle showing the mouse cursor.

By design. I know, it's bizzare.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Turn TRAM and shadows down to high.

How are you isolating Denuvo? Are you actually profiling, or does the Windows Store version really not have Denuvo (even then, how can you distinguish from the Steam API overhead)? (I'm sure it'll be explained in the article, but I'm curious now about how you're approaching the evaluation.)

Did you turn off ShadowLibs as well (that wasn't supported in the demo either).

The demo had the hi-spec assets included, so assuming you had the assets option on, there shouldn't be any real difference.

TRAM is a reserve for texture streaming. You'll want it on high (with 6GB, highest will claim most of your VRAM for the streaming cache, and everything else will have to fight over the small bit that's left).

Shadowlibs werent working in the demo despite being On?
Well, that could be it.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Shadowlibs werent working in the demo despite being On?
Well, that could be it.
As far as I know, ShadowLibs and VXAO were disabled (the configuration options didn't actually do anything).

I think there was some way to enable VXAO, but it required more than just messing with the INI.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
What TRAM setting should I use with an RX 470 4GB?
I would recommend average, at least to start.

After you get a feel for the performance, you can try bumping it up to high to see if it has any negative effect. (At the end of the day, the only real difference will be how long it takes textures to stream in, since there will be much less cached on average than on high.)

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Depending on your other settings, high will possibly be all right.

You may want to start with average to get a feel for the performance, and then bump it up to high to see if it has any negative effect. (At the end of the day, the only real difference will be how long it takes textures to stream in, since there will be much less cached on average than on high.)
Thanks. I did notice some weird texture streaming on Noctis' shirt at Hammerhead. Gonna see what I can do once I'm at my computer later.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Does anyone have an idea how I can bind Ansel or ALT+F2 to my controller? Want it on my DPad... want to do screenshots during the action but letting go of the controller to do the input on the keyboard is dumb.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else getting issues where only the music plays during pre-rendered cutscenes?

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the link. Installed it and seems to work well with the game. Sometimes Kaldaien's mods make the game crash on my system, but works fine here. Hopefully it will reduce some load time for me.

EDIT: Also for those curious, Kaldaien's mod has some Denuvo workarounds in it in the overlay as well.

"That problem is easily mistaken for Denuvo, but emphatically has nothing to do with Denuvo."

What are you talking about? It has nothing to do with Denuvo.

EDIT: ah I see it now, my bad. Didn't look closely enough at the overlay. Does he mention this having anything to do with performance and what the key deletion even does?

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
The framepacing at 30fps seems poor, 60fps is fine at 1080p but I'd like to try running at 1440p 30 maxed but the mild stutter is putting me off

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Basically I rebought this game because I gave up on it due to it's framepacing issues on my Pro.

I played the first two chapters at 60 fps with no pacing issues. Get to Chapter 3, no way to maintain 60 fps. I lock it at 30fps and I get framepacing issues.

Fuck.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Basically I rebought this game because I gave up on it due to it's framepacing issues on my Pro.

I played the first two chapters at 60 fps with no pacing issues. Get to Chapter 3, no way to maintain 60 fps. I lock it at 30fps and I get framepacing issues.

Fuck.

Yeah even with a 1080FE/6700K, there are just enough issues that I'm gonna put it on ice until A) modders get some time in it and B) whatever new NV cards are out.

As is, TAA smears everything noticeably, even at 1440p. Looks much better at 4K but locked 60 is no shot (and I'm still in starting area, not even Duscae where it gets worse). Foliage seems almost like somethings wrong if you don't have NV turf stuff on, and that's an FPS drain, and then I keep seeing posts about VRAM maxing out and stuttering.

I swear, almost release by release, I am more and more convincing myself to never, ever buy PC games at launch. If I had a Titan XP and could brute force most of these issues, maybe, but as it stands, it's kind of a bummer.

E: Oh yeah and the thing with framerate permanently tanking after summons? I've seen that a couple places too.

Last edited:

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The framepacing at 30fps seems poor, 60fps is fine at 1080p but I'd like to try running at 1440p 30 maxed but the mild stutter is putting me off

Fuck.

Are you both using the in game frame limiter or a 3rd party? It seems to work better with Riva for example.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i had this weird thing happen at the very beginning of chapter 3 where framerate capped itself to like 22 while i was in the regalia. as soon as i parked and got out it went back to normal. hope that doesnt become routine.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
the weird part is the 60fps ingame limit is nice and smooth but the 30fps mode looks awful, gonna try out rivatuner anyway :)

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Using Kaldaien's Frame Limiter in Special K gave me a locked 30FPS. It doesn't even fluctuate down into the 20s anymore and the game has completely stopped hitching. I don't know what kind of magic he used, but damn it's nice. Smooth fully maxed gameplay at 4K@30FPS.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15632

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where did you find it and how much? I'd pull the trigger on one if I can find it reasonably priced .

Yeah, that.

Ended up cancelling my order after a bit of research and will hold out till later in the year for the replacements.

I'm in Australia so everything is insanely priced all the time but I was looking at AUD $1300 and hoped my 1080 would go for around half that to Part fund it.

Not worth the hassle just for the sake of this game as the 1080 handles everything else jjne fine.

YOLO moment over. Back to BAU...

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I used in game, dxtory and rtss. All of them have pacing issues.
The only way I've been able to get stable frame-times at 30fps is to use Nvidia Half-Rate v-sync or adaptive v-sync. That's the ONLY thing that solved it.

Not viable for AMD owners, though, unfortunately.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Using Kaldaien's Frame Limiter in Special K game me a locked 30FPS. It doesn't even fluctuate down into the 20s anymore and the game has completely stopped hitching. I don't know what kind of magic he used, but damn it's nice. Smooth fully maxed gameplay at 4K@30FPS.

Oh interesting. I'll have to try that. I downloaded it as a hitching fix and didn't even realize there was a frame limiter in there.

Dark1x Maybe give the above a shot and see if it solves the framepacing issue too.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The only way I've been able to get stable frame-times at 30fps is to use Nvidia Half-Rate v-sync or adaptive v-sync. That's the ONLY thing that solved it.

Not viable for AMD owners, though, unfortunately.

What exactly are all your settings? What is vsync and frame limit set in-game? Do you not use RTSS/DXtory at all?

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you play with the high quality assets?
High res pack, everything maxed out. Ended up just turning off hairworks, shadow libs and turf effects, left everything else at max. Frame rate is much more bearable now. Sticks closer to 60 most of the time, instead of dipping to 40fps in more demanding areas (hairworks with garulas everywhere is a bad idea).

Something else I noticed, ground textures at a gas station kept dropping and increasing in quality with TRAM set to high. Didn't occur when set to highest.

Last edited:

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
when i set tram in the demo to high instead highest i thought it fixed the crashing, played comrades on launch day without issues but now i get crashes again at the end of conversations or cutscenes in the maingame <.<

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Using Kaldaien's Frame Limiter in Special K gave me a locked 30FPS. It doesn't even fluctuate down into the 20s anymore and the game has completely stopped hitching. I don't know what kind of magic he used, but damn it's nice. Smooth fully maxed gameplay at 4K@30FPS.

i don't get this, i tried so many pc games @ 30fps on my 4k TV, but it looks so freakin awful everytime, it gives me headaches, it looks nowhere as good as 30fps console games....

or are you guys playing on 120hz or more monitors via 4k downsampling?

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i don't get this, i tried so many pc games @ 30fps on my 4k TV, but it looks so freakin awful everytime, it gives me headaches, it looks nowhere as good as 30fps console games....

probably because of motion blur, ac origins is super smooth for me on pc with half refresh vsync

Deleted member 34881

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Is hairworks even worth having on? I have a 1070sc and i5 3 I get like 60 to 40 fps. The nvidia settings put everything on high or highest but suggests to turn off hairworks. The only noticeable drops was the second area Duscae.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I had to change my T.V.s video processing settings to stop my game from looking so jittery. It was especially bad on FMV playbacks on this game.

I'm posting a video up right now in 4K showing off Kaldaien's frame rate limiter. I forgot to pull up my menu to show my setting but it's all maxed 100% scaling @ 4K. I have the game set to 120FPS and limit it to 30FPS..

On a side note does this game support HDR?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What exactly are all your settings? What is vsync and frame limit set in-game? Do you not use RTSS/DXtory at all?
I set the in-game to 30fps + Nvidia half-rate. That's it. RTSS isn't needed for this.

Frame pacing is even using these settings then. Without this, however, it's just as you say - horrible. Worse than PS4, actually. A lot worse. The in-game cap does not work well.