• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, are you sure? I thought the leak was in regards to mid development rewrites. As in mid XV rewrites. Oh well.

There were several leaks. The idea that Noctis had killed the female lead by accident and didn't realize she was dead yet was part of the "Versus leak" that also talked about Gladio's father Clarus being a major villain and Gladio dying while fighting him, and Ignis being the sole survivor at the end of the game.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not quite.

The Empire was always intended to be corrupted beyond saving before you get there, even in the original Versus concept.

Interesting, that was a real bummer for me in the game because it happened so fast
with people getting killed off-screen and i found her brother at least a bit interesting. I mean the empire seemed very mighty, i would have loved to take a glance at it. The game leaves very much to you imagination, which isn't always a bad thing, but it wasn't what i hoped for. The same goes for the beautiful burning town hehe

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
When Omen came out they said it wasn't canon and that it was just inspired by FFXV. Stand By Me absolutely went with the theme of the game. First and foremost they were adamant about the road trip brotherhood aspect.

Look at the above trailer.

still feel like, in general, the game's tone was advertised as something more along the lines of Omen than Stand by Me. even the trailer you posted somewhat gives those vibes.

not talking about what's canon or not, only talking about the tone that these trailer's set.

even during the versus XIII days the road tripping with buddies aspect featured heavily I mean it's literally in the first full length trailer. but the trailers always set a dark, serious mood and what we eventually got was the complete opposite. the whole point of versus XIII was "a darker Final Fantasy"

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
People need to just put bazztek on ignore because if you say one negative thing about FFXV they'll write an entire master's thesis as a response. It is impossible to argue with him/her

Oct 31, 2017
Passionate fan who actually argues his opinion very well, yup lets just put them on the ignore list.

VICTORY! o/

His/her arguments are incredibly disingenuous and you will never get him/her to admit to a single negative thing about FFXV. Might as well have a discussion with a wall.

Just to be clear, I think FFXV is a fun game, but in hindsight it's just overwhelmingly disappointing to the point where it's difficult for me to just be like "oh whatever!!" about it. I'll never get over how bad the main story is.

That said, I'm looking forward to next year's DLC.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
His/her arguments are incredibly disingenuous and you will never get him/her to admit to a single negative thing about FFXV. Might as well have a discussion with a wall.
So what if he doesn't find a negative. That doesn't invalidate his opinion. He is a passionate fan of XV. Nothing wrong with it. To suggest that people should put him on ignore lists because you are at odds with his opinions is rather silly.

I don't find a single negative in VIII. Fite me! :)

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The E3 2013 trailer was actually the trailer for FF Versus 13.
All of the sequences shown were closed off with a FF VS 13 logo.
And then the shattered logo happened to inform us that all of the above footage stuff was cancelled.
And that a new game, FFXV was announced with just a logo and no footage whatsoever.

It was a cancellation trailer. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oct 25, 2017
So what if he doesn't find a negative. That doesn't invalidate his opinion. He is a passionate fan of XV. Nothing wrong with it. To suggest that people should put him on ignore lists because you are at odds with his opinions is rather silly.

I don't find a single negative in VIII. Fite me! :)

He also has a habit of insulting your intelligence if you keep responding to him for long enough.

Though I never put anyone on ignore for any reason.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
The E3 2013 trailer was actually the trailer for FF Versus 13.
All of the sequences shown were closed off with a FF VS 13 logo.
And then the shattered logo happened to inform us that all of the above footage stuff was cancelled.
And that a new game, FFXV was announced with just a logo and no footage whatsoever.

It was a cancellation trailer. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'll accept this theory.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFXV looked way more interesting back then when it was first revealed and it was still VS XIII. It looked like a really dark and mature FF. Ended up being poop.

rai

May 26, 2018
after i finished the game i couldn't feel anything but disappointment...I rewatched some of the trailers and I just thought what could of been if Stella was the main story...

Last edited:

Deleted member 43514

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2018
There were several leaks. The idea that Noctis had killed the female lead by accident and didn't realize she was dead yet was part of the "Versus leak" that also talked about Gladio's father Clarus being a major villain and Gladio dying while fighting him, and Ignis being the sole survivor at the end of the game.
The game centered about death, ghosts and hallucination/dreams. Noctis killed the female protagonist before the game started but he didn't remember. Ardyn was Noctis ancestor and he was responsible of the crystals disappearing over time (the only one left was Lucis crystal). Regis died in front of Noctis because his bodyguards betrayed him. The protagonists had to leave the capital because their nation lost the war.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
still feel like, in general, the game's tone was advertised as something more along the lines of Omen than Stand by Me. even the trailer you posted somewhat gives those vibes.

not talking about what's canon or not, only talking about the tone that these trailer's set.

even during the versus XIII days the road tripping with buddies aspect featured heavily I mean it's literally in the first full length trailer. but the trailers always set a dark, serious mood and what we eventually got was the complete opposite. the whole point of versus XIII was "a darker Final Fantasy"
The tone of omen depicts Noctis being incredibly lonely and being manipulated as he goes on his journey, with no one to help him. That's literally the complete opposite tone of the game and it's advertising.

RaidenXZ

Oct 27, 2017

Where are you hearing all about these "story leaks"? Cause I want in on reading about these haha

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I thought we were getting this:
Stella-Versus-XIII.jpg

338355.jpg

Instead we got this:
Prompto-Cindy-Hammerhead-FFXV.png

It went from a dark urban political drama to a bro camping trip

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think the game was advertised exactly how it was going to be in game. The entire event Square hosted when they announced the "release date" showed enough footage to hit home that XV took a radical shift after Nomura got booted and VSXIII got canned and I was Ok with that.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Wow, thanks for making this thread OP. I somehow ignored that E3 2013 trailer back in the day and only watched it for the first time yesterday but... what a ride. That trailer actually got me super interested in whatever that game would have ended up being. Sadly, the myriad of footage I've seen of FFXV has made me certain the final product not interest me at all (outside of Ardyn and Ignis that is)

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was always a bro camping trip, Cindy literally existed back in Versus too, so did Prompto, so did Hammerhead and Leide desert and the entire roadtrip focussing on the bros bonds and brotherhood being the main aspect of the game, and it was never a "dark urban political drama" any more than it already is. And those two pictures you posted above were already completely changed by 2011 when it was still Versus anyway.

People need to just put bazztek on ignore because if you say one negative thing about FFXV they'll write an entire master's thesis as a response. It is impossible to argue with him/her
So because you have no counter arguments to your lies being called out you are just going to ignore them, yet act like you have the high ground?

That trailer actually got me super interested in whatever that game would have ended up being.
Check out this version of that trailer uses clips from the actual game and not fake footage that was CG with a HUD overlayed and some clips from a prototype build demo instead of the actual game.

You can see them side by side here.
http://youtubedoubler.com/odDP

Last edited:

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I thought we were getting this:
Stella-Versus-XIII.jpg

338355.jpg

Instead we got this:
Prompto-Cindy-Hammerhead-FFXV.png

:thinking:
Nomura: "This is a tough question, more or less the theme is ''bonds''.... I think. The core of the story is heavy compared to the series, but the mood is relatively a light comedy. In this story, we are focusing on the daily lives of friends. So depending on how you look at it, the story mucks about a bit (laughs)."

Source.

Oct 26, 2017
Playing it for the first time on PC with no prior expectations, it's okay. I just arrived at Cape Caem and the story is still missing/fragmented, I don't really expect that too change. Sidequests are mostly fetch quests and I hate those. Combat is average, though the summons look cool.

If I was going into this in 2016 expecting the next big Final Fantasy game I would have been very disappointed.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Playing it for the first time on PC with no prior expectations, it's okay. I just arrived at Cape Caem and the story is still missing/fragmented, I don't really expect that too change. Sidequests are mostly fetch quests and I hate those. Combat is average, though the summons look cool.

If I was going into this in 2016 expecting the next big Final Fantasy game I would have been very disappointed.

I mean you just listed most reasons why this game is hilariously bad and i personally don't think the combat is just average it's really fucking terrible not just for a FF game but for RPGs in general.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean you just listed most reasons why this game is hilariously bad and i personally don't think the combat is just average it's really fucking terrible not just for a FF game but for RPGs in general.
Except the game is good and the combat is great too, especially for FFs and RPGs in general.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you hearing all about these "story leaks"? Cause I want in on reading about these haha
Besides the June 2016 story leak, the only other leak I think is at least mostly legit is the one from December 2016:
The game centered about death, ghosts and hallucination/dreams. Noctis killed the female protagonist before the game started but he didn't remember. Ardyn was Noctis ancestor and he was responsible of the crystals disappearing over time (the only one left was Lucis crystal). Regis died in front of Noctis because his bodyguards betrayed him. The protagonists had to leave the capital because their nation lost the war.

The game didn't focus on summons that much (they still existed) and instead there were actual gods which didn't appear physically. One of the gods was the main antagonist of the first FF game. Each nation was inspired by a different capital of the world. The empire was using ghosts as weapons. Ravus wanted to kill Noctis for having killed her sister. The game ended in another dimension which was supposed to be their version of the after-life.

It's hard to remember every detail.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i mean you pretty much live for defending this "masterpiece" so what else would you even say XD
And you have done nothing but trash on the game because you're mad that it's great, so I didn't expect much from you in the first place and I'm not even sure why you even bother still posting in XV threads if you hate it so much. No surprise that you still desperately try to handwave what someone who actually knows the every ins and outs of the games system, while you clearly still barely know anything about it which is why you try to be so reductive in your "criticisms" of the game.

Oct 26, 2017

I'll finish the game since it's still enjoyable despite its failings but I can definitely see why people would bag on the game, lol.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they marketed the game to be an openworld game.. what we got was just game that had an openworld for 50% of its content (additionally the openworld was pretty shit but thats another story) and was completely linear in its second half. For me thats worse than the lack of political drama or whatnot. The story of FF XV is at least somewhat better than FF XIII although that game overall trumps FF XV due to its combat system

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except the game is good and the combat is great too, especially for FFs and RPGs in general.
Yeah no. The camera is just not suited for whatever character actiongame they tried to implement. The action just isnt good enough to rival a well made high speed action game like bayonetta or devilmay cry and the system is so simple that regular RPG games like xenoblade, persona, bravely default or ffxiii take a dump on it.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I still want my dark, edgy, gangster FF game and hope they salvage, rework and turn it into a M rated spinoff title that's gonna be even more dark and edgy.

stella_ffxiii_versus_request_by_serahgainsbrough-d454ll9.gif

:(

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
the game changed into a more road trip feel.

Obviously when Nomura is no longer director, his story and ideas will not be the final story and ideas.

A lot of the Nomura themes from inside Insomnia seemed to be touched upon with the Kingsglaive movie (which I consider to be the opening cinematic of the game).

I look forward to VIIremake for the Nomura style of drama and dark elements and themes.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they marketed the game to be an openworld game.. what we got was just game that had an openworld for 50% of its content.
XV was always stated as being a mix of open world and linear ever since they first even mentioned there being an open world aspect to the game.

Yeah no. The camera is just not suited for whatever character actiongame they tried to implement. The action just isnt good enough to rival a well made high speed action game like bayonetta or devilmay cry and the system is so simple that regular RPG games like xenoblade, persona, bravely default or ffxiii take a dump on it.
XV is an ARPG with a party in an open world with multiple characters, not a single character hacknslash action game in small enclosed areas like DMC or Bayonetta, also you can set the camera distance to be either close, middle or far, and it's far better than Persona, BD, trash like FF13, and Xenoblade is just an overrated autobattle simulator too.

I still want my dark, edgy, gangster FF game and hope they salvage, rework and turn it into a M rated spinoff title that's gonna be even more dark and edgy.
I honestly don't know where people keep getting this misguided impressiong that Versus was some dark gangster game when it was very clearly established as being a game set in a roadtrip focussing on the brotherhood and bonds of the main four, and with Nomura himself saying that it is mostly light hearted despite the heavy burden Noctis carries, just like he still does in the final game, and there is nothing in Versus that was in anyway "darker" than what the final game does either.

No it didn't, it ALWAYS was a road trip game. Nomura said so himself years ago.
I look forward to VIIremake for the Nomura style of drama and dark elements and themes.
Literally nothing from VII is doing what Versus was doing, no, having a modern city doesn't make VII like Versus, that same city is still in XV and Midgar existed in VII before Versus or XV even were conceived.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL

:(

I still remember how I felt when I first heard Noctis tell Ignis in the 2011 trailer...

"you are thinking of a way to get revenge 10 times over?"

Ignis replies... "I am thinking of a way to get back 100 times over"

It just felt so badass like this renegade prince was about to start a full global scale war for revenge over his city being destroyed and father killed. Beginning with mafia like themes and resulting into huge wars...

Versus what we got .. THem roadtripping essentially to just take back the city and stop these wars from happening.

A lot of it was us setting ourselves up with certain story and moments based on the 15-20 minutes of visual works CGI we got from 2006 to 2011

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
XV was always stated as being a mix of open world and linear ever since they first even mentioned there being an open world aspect to the game.

XV is an ARPG with a party in an open world with multiple characters, not a single character hacknslash action game in small enclosed areas like DMC or Bayonetta, also you can set the camera distance to be either close, middle or far, and it's far better than Persona, BD, trash like FF13, and Xenoblade is just an overrated autobattle simulator too.

I honestly don't know where people keep getting this misguided impressiong that Versus was some dark gangster game when it was very clearly established as being a game set in a roadtrip focussing on the brotherhood and bonds of the main four, and with Nomura himself saying that it is mostly light hearted despite the heavy burden Noctis carries, like.

No it didn't, it ALWAYS was a road trip game.

Literally nothing from VII is doing what Versus was doing, no, having a modern city doesn't make VII like Versus, that same city is still in XV and Midgar existed in VII before Versus or XV even were conceived.
I did not finish mouthing my idea. But as someone that has been playing each FF as it launches since 7. I am entitled to my own opinion.

Nomura style cutscenes are clearly different from Tabata directed ones. No he is not cutscene director. I know.

My comments have nothing to do with story similarities or environmental similarities between XV and VII remake.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

Obviously when Nomura is no longer director, his story and ideas will not be the final story and ideas.

A lot of the Nomura themes from inside Insomnia seemed to be touched upon with the Kingsglaive movie (which I consider to be the opening cinematic of the game).

You should read some older Nomura interviews.
Nomura: "This is a tough question, more or less the theme is ''bonds''.... I think. The core of the story is heavy compared to the series, but the mood is relatively a light comedy. In this story, we are focusing on the daily lives of friends. So depending on how you look at it, the story mucks about a bit (laughs)."

Source.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still remember how I felt when I first heard Noctis tell Ignis in the 2011 trailer...

"you are thinking of a way to get revenge 10 times over?"

Ignis replies... "I am thinking of a way to get back 100 times over"

It just felt so badass like this renegade prince was about to start a full global scale war for revenge over his city being destroyed and father killed. Beginning with mafia like themes and resulting into huge wars...

Versus what we got .. THem roadtripping essentially to just take back the city and stop these wars from happening.

A lot of it was us setting ourselves up with certain story and moments based on the 15-20 minutes of visual works CGI we got from 2006 to 2011
Except Nomura said himself that Versus is not about taking revenge, it was about the bonds of the main four bros. There was no "mafia" theme or "family wars" like you keep pretending, none of that was ever stated as being a thing in the game, you are just taking a visual element of people in suits and then conflaiting that to somehow being mafia when it never was. The roadtrip in XV is literally them going on the trip to get the power Noctis needs to reclaim his throne, which was only at first going to be a trip for his wedding before things went south.

I did not finish mouthing my idea. But as someone that has been playing each FF as it launches since 7. I am entitled to my own opinion.

Nomura style cutscenes are clearly different from Tabata directed ones. No he is not cutscene director. I know.

My comments have nothing to do with story similarities or environmental similarities between XV and VII remake.
What does cutscenes have to do with anything? None of the cutscenes in FF7R that we have seen so far have anything to do with any of the scenes we saw in Versus, like, what?

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Except Nomura said himself that Versus is not about taking revenge, it was about the bonds of the main four bros. There was no "mafia" theme or "family wars" like you keep pretending, none of that was ever stated as being a thing in the game, you are just taking a visual element of people in suits and then conflaiting that to somehow being mafia when it never was. The roadtrip in XV is literally them going on the trip to get the power Noctis needs to reclaim his throne, which was only at first going to be a trip for his wedding before things went south.
You are putting words into other peoples mouths.

Like i keep pretending ? lmao.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are putting words into other peoples mouths.

Like i keep pretending ? lmao.
You literally just said there was mafia themes and it was all about revenge and "huge wars", when it never was. Nomura explicitly stated that Versus is not a story about taking revenge, it was about the bonds of the main four bros.

Regis sitting on a throne and wearing a suit does not make it mafia, especially when that same exact suit Regis wore in the 2011 Versus trailer and 2013 FFXV trailer is what you can see him wearing in the flashback scene in the final game.

Nomura literally stated it was always about the road trip and he literally said it wasn't about taking revenge.
daG6UvM.png