• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
You literally just said there was mafia themes and it was all about revenge and "huge wars", when it never was. Nomura explicitly stated that Versus is not a story about taking revenge, it was about the bonds of the main four bros.

Regis sitting on a throne and wearing a suit does not make it mafia, especially when that same exact suit Regis wore in the 2011 Versus trailer and 2013 FFXV trailer is what you can see him wearing in the flashback scene in the final game.
It just felt so badass like this renegade prince was about to start a full global scale war for revenge over his city being destroyed and father killed. Beginning with
mafia like themes and resulting into huge wars...

So you took this comment about how i said "IT JUST FELT SO BADASS LIKE. "

and you spun it with your own words putting words in my mouth.

you realize i was giving an opinion on the trailers from 2006- 2011. From that moment.
When i first saw 2011s trailer., THESE ARE SOME OF THE ideas I had in mind.
Obviously in 2018,. we know what versus showed as concept and what XV turned into.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bullshit. The game was not finished if it was they wouldn't have spent more then a year of doing free patches and updates to address various problems that the game has had since launch.
Genuine question, but do you know exactly what the DLC and patches added? Because it sounds like you don't know anything at all. None of the patches were any more than you would expect from a game like Witcher 3. QoL changes and smaller alterations. And the DLC was NOT planned to be in the main game. XV is about Noctis's story and his perspective. The DLC is just parts of the same story from those other perspectives. Calling that dlc intended to be in the full game is almost as silly as those people who think the DLC for next year was somehow supposed to be in the game at launch as well.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It just felt so badass like this renegade prince was about to start a full global scale war for revenge over his city being destroyed and father killed. Beginning with

So you took this comment about how i said "IT JUST FELT SO BADASS LIKE. "

and you spun it with your own words putting words in my mouth.

you realize i was giving an opinion on the trailers from 2006- 2011. From that moment.
When i first saw 2011s trailer., THESE ARE SOME OF THE ideas I had in mind.
Obviously in 2018,. we know what versus showed as concept and what XV turned into.
Dude, you literally just said that Versus had mafia themes and that it was about revenge and "huge wars", when it never was, it was always a roadtrip focussing on the bonds of the bros and their brotherhood.
daG6UvM.png

We knew even back when those old Versus trailers were shown that it was always supposed to be a roadtrip and about their bonds, because we can literally see them driving in Leide and mucking around putting each other in headlocks even in that 2008 CG trailer. When Nomura revealed Versus in 2006 at E3 he literally stated that the main theme of the game is "bonding" too.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL

... yeah, of course in 2006 when I saw this dude kill this whole army, and then ride his limo in the next trailer / Of course Id have a mindset of a dark story. You gotta realize a lot of us kids at the time imagined what the story could be. Putting certain pieces together from every trailer. This always happens with excitement. We over analyze trailers. for games and movies.

Me thinking that in the years before ps4 and XV does not take away from the real execution that was FFXV by Tabata. Or the changes or things kept. whether the road trip or LUnas / Stellas literally exact face model

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
[QUOTE="Bazztek, post: 8670746, member: 15434"
]Dude, you literally just said that Versus had mafia themes and that it was about revenge and "huge wars", when it never was, it was always a roadtrip focussing on the bonds of the bro

[/QUOTE]

quote me if i said it.

i said It just felt so badass like this renegade prince was about to start a war for revenge.

Why are you so hung up on speaking for others bru .. Tell me where i said Versus had these themes?

When I said it just felt so badass like this prince was about to do something

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i said It just felt so badass like this renegade prince was about to start a war for revenge.

Why are you so hung up on speaking for others bru .. Tell me where i said Versus had these themes?

When I said it just felt so badass like this prince was about to do something
Dude, you literally said that the game "changed" into a more "roadtrip" feel, despite the fact that it was always a roadtrip when Nomura even started first talking about what the story would be.

the game changed into a more road trip feel..

You literally said it right there, it never "changed" into a roadtrip, it always was one back when it was Versus. Back in 2006 when nothing but a teaser was shown according to Nomura only 0.3% of the game scenario had been done, so I don't even know how you can take that single teaser of Noctis fighting soldiers as the be all end all of what the entire game would be.

And even right there you said it feeling like it was about revenge is wrong, because Nomura said it was not. You think that Noctis in the final game didn't want to get payback on those who took everything from him? You think just because Noctis in 2011 trailer mentions wanting payback that means that is what the story was going to be about? No, it doesn't.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

... yeah, of course in 2006 when I saw this dude kill this whole army, and then ride his limo in the next trailer / Of course Id have a mindset of a dark story. You gotta realize a lot of us kids at the time imagined what the story could be. Putting certain pieces together from every trailer. This always happens with excitement. We over analyze trailers. for games and movies.

Me thinking that in the years before ps4 and XV does not take away from the real execution that was FFXV by Tabata. Or the changes or things kept. whether the road trip or LUnas / Stellas literally exact face model
Sounds like you and several others are upset for the wrong reason. The game isn't at fault for you misinterpreting the focus and neglecting to keep up with information regarding the game. Some people saw Versus XIII and thought it would be edgy and dark with a heavy plot, when that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Youre cherry picking the one line. Earlier you were talking about how I apparently said versus was about Revenge and wars and now you go back to the first line.

I said it changed into a more road trip feel/ We heard the idea bonds before 2011 YES i agree with you/ But we never saw anything about a roadtrip aside from them driving outside the city. It was not until 2012ish when they commented that the game had changed a bit. Wada commented on it I think in 2012.

And my comment about revenge at all. in the 2011 trailer. the last line they talk about Ignis and Noctis, translated apparently has something to do with getting them back"

Just to review.
1. I said it changed into a more road trip feel. I did not say it never was. You really gotta give someone the benefit of the doubt.
2. The line in the end of the 2011 trailer, they say some specific things right before the end of the trailer, as Noct walks away.
3. They commented about Bonds for sure over those years. But in 2006 and 2007 when you see a dark trailer with army dying in a city with limos,. PLUS INTERVIEWS with references to the word "renegade" and "yakuza family" "and love/betrayel" sure this game isnt about yakuza or mafia, it is final fantasy medieval kingdom. So many people were talking about this online, analyzing or guessing. Each trailer. and shot. No one would know too much about the story until late 2010 or early 2011 when they commented more on it and the invasion. Yet people guessed and over analyzed.
4. my comment about it just felt so badass seeing this prince want revenge and war/// all that is is earlier trailers coming together and forming an opinion for me. Before 2010. Of course I waited patiently until 2013 when they gave wayyyyyy more definitive info on the game. and even after with Tabata taking over. we got the most info then/

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Sounds like you and several others are upset for the wrong reason. The game isn't at fault for you misinterpreting the focus and neglecting to keep up with information regarding the game. Some people saw Versus XIII and thought it would be edgy and dark with a heavy plot, when that doesn't seem to be the case at all.
I agree that it was not the case, and I agree that I saw earlier trailers and wanted a dark edgy game.

I was just arguing to say that it was okay to think certain things based on the trailers. The game was not even in full dev team production until 2011ish anyway. So im saying it was okay to form thoughts on story on what we saw.

And THAT it was clear to see visual story differences when Tabata trailers came out.

that was my original point

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Someone asked me what i meant by comparing Nomura game cutscenes to Tabata game cutscenes. And promotional trailers

I think if you look at trailers to their games, you can see for yourself.

Personally, I think Nomura directed game trailers have a certain epic sense to them as well as a specific style that is different from Dragon Quest or other FF spin off trailers / other IPs they do.

Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I agree that it was not the case, and I agree that I saw earlier trailers and wanted a dark edgy game.

I was just arguing to say that it was okay to think certain things based on the trailers. The game was not even in full dev team production until 2011ish anyway. So im saying it was okay to form thoughts on story on what we saw.

And THAT it was clear to see visual story differences when Tabata trailers came out.

that was my original point
Ah I see. That's definitely a fair opinion to have.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But we never saw anything about a roadtrip aside from them driving outside the city
We literally see them driving in Leide, we literally see them mucking around and putting each other in headlocks, this was back when Nomura first stated that the game would be a roadtrip and that it was about the bonds between the bros, what are you even saying right now?

It was not until 2012ish when they commented that the game had changed a bit
That has absolutely nothing to do with anything you are saying, you are saying it "changed" to being a roadtrip when it never did, it ALWAYS was one when it was Versus.

1. I said it changed into a more road trip feel. I did not say it never was. You really gotta give someone the benefit of the doubt.
You saying it "changed" to being one is already wrong because it never "changed" to being one, it always was one. You keep saying one thing but then going around as if you aren't saying that.

2. The line in the end of the 2011 trailer, they say some specific things right before the end of the trailer, as Noct walks away.
Which again, Nomura already stated that the games story was not about taking revenge, all that is is just a cool sounding line at the end of a trailer, not what the story was going to be about, by this logic it's like saying FFXV was going to be about "the truth" because Cor says "you want the truth?" at the end of the 2013 trailer. Noctis even in the final game still obviously wants payback on Niflheim/Ardyn but that doesn't in anyway mean it was narrative focus, nor does it even mean it was in that one line he says in 2011 either, because we already know by Nomura's own words that Versus was not about taking revenge.

3. They commented about Bonds for sure over those years. But in 2006 and 2007 when you see a dark trailer with army dying in a city with limos,. PLUS INTERVIEWS with references to the word "renegade" and "yakuza family" "and love/betrayel" sure this game isnt about yakuza or mafia, it is final fantasy medieval kingdom. So many people were talking about this online, analyzing or guessing. Each trailer. and shot. No one would know too much about the story until late 2010 or early 2011 when they commented more on it and the invasion. Yet people guessed and over analyzed.
So because they showed the same clips of Insomnia over and over that somehow means that the entire game was just about Insomnia? No, it just means they had barely created any other footage to show and they were only showing stuff pertaining to very early segments of the game regarding Insomnia. Noctis is still a renegade, that's still a core aspect of his personality that he rejects the rigid rules of the royal family which is why Noctis drags his feet so much in regards to becoming the king and accepting his responsibility, and Nomura never said anything about there being a "Yakuza family", what he said was that the relationship between Noctis, Ignis, Gladio and Prompto is a Shatei and Kyodai relationship heirarchy simular to what you would see among Yakuza, not that they are Yakuza, and they still have that Shatei/Kyodai aspect to their dynamic, and the never said anything about betrayal either, you're just making stuff up now and crossing your wires here.

"Fina Fantasy Medievil Kingdom", seriosly what are you even talking about? Nomura never said anything about this nor was this in any trailer either.

4. my comment about it just felt so badass seeing this prince want revenge and war///
See you really are just mixing and matching random things from years appart here and you're also just making stuff up that the game was never about.

all that is is earlier trailers coming together and forming an opinion for me. Before 2010.
Like here, how is it possible for you to think it was about "revenge" or "war" before 2010 when Nomura explicitly stated that the game is not about revenge and no mention of there being an impending war was made then either?

The first time a "war" was even mentioned in a trailer was in the 2013 trailer and it was just merely saying that a War could break out, and that Niflheim had already waged war against some of the other nations, not that there is one currently, oh and what is it do you think that the Kingsglaive are doing in XV? Oh right they were fighting a war against Niflheim with skirmishes happening around Lucis before the start of the game, and then when the Starscourge comes they are effectively in a war against the Daemons and the Niflheim remnants tha Ardyn wrought too. And before that we already knew that Lucis and Niflheim were in a cold war between each other since before the game would have even started, which even still in the final XV that is still the case.

Last edited:

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I think XV was fine definitely better than the XIII line however it has some very serious underlying issues. Too bad it didn't get as much time as KH3 though I admit back in 2016 I did not want to wait longer I wanted it to be out.

Anytime XV is mentioned I will probably never stop thinking about what the game could have been like under Nomura.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
We literally see them driving in Leide, we literally see them mucking around and putting each other in headlocks, this was back when Nomura first stated that the game would be a roadtrip and that it was about the bonds between the bros, what are you even saying right now?

That has absolutely nothing to do with anything you are saying, you are saying it "changed" to being a roadtrip when it never did, it ALWAYS was one when it was Versus.

You saying it "changed" to being one is already wrong because it never "changed" to being one, it always was one. You keep saying one thing but then going around as if you aren't saying that.

Which again, Nomura already stated that the games story was not about taking revenge, all that is is just a cool sounding line at the end of a trailer, not what the story was going to be about, by this logic it's like saying FFXV was going to be about "the truth" because Cor says "you want the truth?" at the end of the 2013 trailer. Noctis even in the final game still obviously wants payback on Niflheim/Ardyn but that doesn't in anyway mean it was narrative focus, nor does it even mean it was in that one line he says in 2011 either, because we already know by Nomura's own words that Versus was not about taking revenge.

So because they showed the same clips of Insomnia over and over that somehow means that the entire game was just about Insomnia? No, it just means they had barely created any other footage to show and they were only showing stuff pertaining to very early segments of the game regarding Insomnia. Noctis is still a renegade, that's still a core aspect of his personality that he rejects the rigid rules of the royal family which is why Noctis drags his feet so much in regards to becoming the king and accepting his responsibility, and Nomura never said anything about there being a "Yakuza family", what he said was that the relationship between Noctis, Ignis, Gladio and Prompto is a Shatei and Kyodai relationship heirarchy simular to what you would see among Yakuza, not that they are Yakuza, and they still have that Shatei/Kyodai aspect to their dynamic, and the never said anything about betrayal either, you're just making stuff up now and crossing your wires here.

"Fina Fantasy Medievil Kingdom", seriosly what are you even talking about? Nomura never said anything about this nor was this in any trailer either.

See you really are just mixing and matching random things from years appart here and you're also just making stuff up that the game was never about.

Like here, how is it possible for you to think it was about "revenge" or "war" before 2010 when Nomura explicitly stated that the game is not about revenge and no mention of there being an impending war was made then either?

The first time a "war" was even mentioned in a trailer was in the 2013 trailer and it was just merely saying that a War could break out, and that Niflheim had already waged war against some of the other nations, not that there is one currently, oh and what is it do you think that the Kingsglaive are doing in XV? Oh right they were fighting a war against Niflheim with skirmishes happening around Lucis before the start of the game, and then when the Starscourge comes they are effectively in a war against the Daemons and the Niflheim remnants tha Ardyn wrought too. And before that we already knew that Lucis and Niflheim were in a cold war between each other since before the game would have even started, which even still in the final XV that is still the case.
how is it possible for me to have an imagination is what you asked me in the last line lol, btw i never said anything about the entire game being in insomnia, i say we just drop it since you keep claiming that i am saying things that i am not saying.

keep saying that i am making things up even though i was only talking about what i felt when watching the trailers lol. You are mistaking my opinion for fact, and trying to call me out on it, and asking me if I am serious. lol :P

Cheers pal

Last edited:

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't know where people keep getting this misguided impressiong that Versus was some dark gangster game when it was very clearly established as being a game set in a roadtrip focussing on the brotherhood and bonds of the main four, and with Nomura himself saying that it is mostly light hearted despite the heavy burden Noctis carries, just like he still does in the final game, and there is nothing in Versus that was in anyway "darker" than what the final game does either.

Because that's how all the trailers kept portraying the game, from the first trailer on it was continuously portrayed as a dark and edgy game in all the trailers, no one's going to remember a single sentence in a fucking Famitsu interview from 2008, did that change how people view the game? No. Maybe it wasn't gonna be a gangsta game like some of us hoped but it would've been cool if it was a M rated dark edgy gangsta game, instead of the cliche FF stuff we always get and the cliche Nomura complaints about in that interview. And a dark gangster game could still be about "bonding" and having it be on a road trip, it's not like the Yakuza games are not light hearted while also dealing with heavy themes. Also:

Tabata: The setting of Lucis in FF Versus XIII is a violation of age rating criteria
https://www./threads/tabata-the-set...s-a-violation-of-age-rating-criteria.1131353/

The trailers, the reaper worship, the leaked stuff, everything pointed to Versus XIII being a darker game than what we got. I dunno why you're implying that XV is the exact game Versus XIII was because it clearly isn't, even by Tabata's own admission.

Maybe if I want that M rated dark gangsta FF game they should not call it FF but something different like Xenogears.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because that's how all the trailers kept portraying the game, from the first trailer on it was continuously portrayed as a dark and edgy game in all the trailers, no one's going to remember a single sentence in a fucking Famitsu interview from 2008, did that change how people view the game?
There is literally nothing dark about the trailer shown compared to anything in the final game though, driving in a dark city, fighting Niflheim soldiers in a dark city, you still do these things in the final game. How is a CG shot of a girl standing in an empty street dark? How is Regis sitting at his table with his people dark? How is Noctis and the bros driving in Leide and putting each other in headlocks and mucking around dark? Nothing about that was even dark let alone darker than what the final game does towards the end of the game.

Tabata: The setting of Lucis in FF Versus XIII is a violation of age rating criteria
https://www./threads/taba...s-a-violation-of-age-rating-criteria.1131353/

The trailers, the reaper worship, the leaked stuff, everything pointed to Versus XIII being a darker game than what we got. I dunno why you're implying that XV is the exact game Versus XIII was because it clearly isn't, even by Tabata's own admission.
First of all, Tabata is referring to the fact that in Versus the death goddes Etro from the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos was worshipped in the game, that statement he made there on the old FFXV forums was loosely translated there as "reaper" because Shinigami is what Etro is referred to in Japanese and also translates to reaper, now "reaper" and "Death goddess Etro" have completely different connotations to them in English than what the actual thing was, and in the FNC the worship of Etro the goddess of death is not seen as some dark thing, Etro worship itself is not some dark thing especially when Lightning Returns also did Etro goddess of death worshippping too as a major aspect of the game and that has the same age rating as FFXV has.

What Tabata is talking about there is mainly in reference to China's laws of showing death related and skeleton imagery, in the final game the skeleton Daemon and the Reaper Daemon were completely altered for the Chinese release of the game because of that too, and them removing the FNC from the game also meant they removed Etro and that whole thing primarily because they wanted to distance FFXV from the FNC lore and Etro since that was heavily associated with FF13s series, and they wanted to make them distinct, and the thing about the China laws also preventing certain things from being in it is also another reason, not the only reason for why they changed that.

Death is still a huge element of FFXV, and because they removed the FNC mythos from the game they replaced it with the original mythos for FFXV, which involved the Lucii kings and the God Bahamut asking for blood prices when putting on the Ring of Lucii or using the royal magic, in most cases death, and that was in place of Etro the goddess of death, who again was not some dark figure of made Versus just because she was worshipped.

And I'm not and have not been saying Versus is the same exact game as XV, but people acting as if Versus was this "oh so dark" thing compared to the final game are completely misguided, and also completely ignoring the actual ending of FFXV that none of the Versus trailers exceed in their "darkness" or whatever.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was when it was Versus as XV it was never going to get canceled and Nomura was still the director. Tabata was already a Co-Director on XV later they decied to move Nomura and let Tabata take full responsibility and finish the game.

What if he finished it? :P
Seeing as Kingsglaive started production in late 2013 a few months before Nomura was taken off XV as Director, I see little reason to still believe that the Insomnia invasion would have even still been in the game under Nomura even if he did stick around until the game released. Kingsglaive was originally going to have the same visual style as the XV game CGI, even Nyx included in that style, and part of me somewhere in the back of my mind believes that the CGI we saw for "FFXV" prior to Kingsglaive being announced was merely just the original CGI version of Kingsglaive's scenes before they got changed to what they are now, because even in late 2014 they showed some more CGI scenes in the FFXV trailers and that was well into Kingsglaive being underway by that point, it was only somewhere in 2015 where Kingsglaive shifted to the more photorealistic aesthetic and used the facial scans of real people, and that's why Regis's and Clarus's designs also changed, and that's also why Luna's eyes also changed from being purple in late 2013/2014 like 2013 Stella's were to being blue from 2015 onward.

And according to Roberto Ferrai when he was on it as XV he said there was no defined story and it was changing every 3 months, that was a period when Nomura was still in charge calling the shots until he left in December 2013, and that's when Ferrari also left XV, then sometime in 2014 they both were on 7R.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
We will never be free from the VersusXIII vs XV arguments. It's literally people arguing about their feelings, expectations, and potential. There is nothing concrete.

An actual game was never going to live up to the dream game people have constructed in their heads as what Versus was definitely going to be, whether Nomura or Tabata had been the one to be at the head when it was finished. At least Tabata actually finished it so that it didn't continue to stall the series for another decade.

Oct 31, 2017
Playing it for the first time on PC with no prior expectations, it's okay. I just arrived at Cape Caem and the story is still missing/fragmented, I don't really expect that too change. Sidequests are mostly fetch quests and I hate those. Combat is average, though the summons look cool.

If I was going into this in 2016 expecting the next big Final Fantasy game I would have been very disappointed.

Yeah. I just can't believe people still actually try defending this obvious rush-job of a main story. IMO it's not even remotely okay. Chapters 1-8 are full of fetch quests and low budget cutscenes and really, really half-assed events (like retrieving your car that's conveniently at a military base, invading a base to avenge Jared, etc.). Chapter 9 is an absolute joke and although I enjoyed the atmosphere of Chapters 10-14 it went by way, way, way too quickly. Also most of the boss fights are the most embarrassing things I've ever seen in a AAA game. Seriously it's something I would expect from newbie developers who don't give a shit about story

I disagree about the combat, though. The combat system is extremely flawed beyond belief but I still found it to be fun and satisfying. I also loved the dungeons

Oct 31, 2017

Literally the original opening of the Versus was the destruction of the city while you and the bros escape:
FF-13-versus-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-19853435-320-180.gif

it was always going to be a bro camping trip:
tumblr_ovbpglt2fq1w8quzyo1_500.gif

MajesticFamousGalapagospenguin-size_restricted.gif

No one is saying Tabata came up with the bro-bonding aspect. It was Nomura who came up with these characters after all. The difference is that the atmosphere and tone was clearly different. And IMO Nomura clearly made stuff like good cutscene direction and the story a priority.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just can't believe people still actually try defending this obvious rush-job of a main story. IMO it's not even remotely okay.
It isn't a rush job at all though, and just because you didn't bother paying attention to all the things happening both in the main story and all the dialog pertaining to the game that feeds back in to the entire experience doesn't in anyway make it a "rush job".

Chapter 1-8 are not "full of fetch quests" any more than any other FF is, they aren't with "low budget cutscenes" at all either, the motion the characters have and the attention to detail in the animation is top class that towers over what previous FFs ever attempted to do, and seriously dude did you even pay attention? The car is not just "conveniently" at a military base, it's there because Ravus seized and also put up the roadblocks around Duscae leaving Noctis and the gang trapped inside, because he was trying to prevent Noctis from continuing on his quest, which is also the same reason why he was trying to get Luna to stop doing it for Noctis's sake too, because he did not see Noctis as worthy of her sacrifice and he even straight up says it to his face when he confronts them in the military base, and the only reason they got the car back is because Ardyn let them have it because Ardyn's plans involved Noctis gaining his powers to become the true king, and because he technically ranks higher than Ravus too so Ravus had no choice but to comply, which itself is reason why Ardyn later kills Ravus for constantly trying to meddle in his plans.

Also they aren't invading a military base to "Avenge Jared", seriously what the hell are you even talking about? They are doing it because they came across it, getting payback for Jared is just incidental to the fact that they were already going to be doing it anyway. Considering you actually defend the actual travesty that is FF13 I don't know why anyone can take anything you have to say seriously against XV's story, and none of thoe boss fights are somehow "embarrasing" for AAA games, especially when KH games have far worse "giant boss" figths than Leviathan or Titan with the Ursala boss fight in KH1 or Jafar boss fight in KH2, and the game has great boss fights like the one against Cor, Ifrit, Aranea and the camp fight version of it, Omega, Ravus in Ep Ignis, Ardyn in Ep Ignis, Bahamut in Comrades, the bros fight both in the main game at camp or Comrades, Omega, The Fierce, The Rogue, The Mystic and the monster boss fights like against Behemoth, Cerberus, Melusine, Quetzlcoatl etc.

You know you can have your opinion all you want, I don't care about that, what I do care is your reasoning and you constantly saying blatantly incorrect things like this. But hey you are just going to try and handwave anything I have to say against you because you can't actually argue anything against what I say.

The difference is that the atmosphere and tone was clearly different.
No it wasn't. The tone was explicitly stated by Nomura as being light hearted and mostly comedic despite the heavy burden Noctis has, and that is the same exact thing that the final game does. There is not a single "cutscene" that we saw in Versus does anything better than what the final game does either. Whatever "dark" tone that was ever there in the Versus trailers is still in the final game in XV especially at the end of the game.

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I realized that it was nothing going to be the same game.

They just put you at the end of the exposition with the fall of insomnia in a short voiceless CGI cutscene.

I'm introduced to characters I don't know and act like we're buddies. I don't give a shit about these guys other than Prompto who had a little cutscene and his DLC focusing around his past.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
No one is saying Tabata came up with the bro-bonding aspect. It was Nomura who came up with these characters after all. The difference is that the atmosphere and tone was clearly different. And IMO Nomura clearly made stuff like good cutscene direction and the story a priority.
If good cutscene direction and story was a priority than they likely would've been a lot further along. Note, the scenes in trailers were a bunch of disjointed scenes in no particular order as the game never came together. The tone of the game was also supposed to be just as lighthearted as the final game, but due to the game never coming together, the vast majority of trailers focus on the city escape sequence.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
So is the part where they're in some city building while its being attacked and noctis is hiding behind a table and warping around and stuff actually in the game? I swear all the trailers for years showed that off a lot.

Xmengrey

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
Which one? There have been a few. It's not coming. The game is complete.
Well hey you never know I mean a Versus XV is pretty much a XV-2 but not a XV-2 probably get another dev team to do it though like idk maybe the KH3 team I mean KH3 is finished so why not. Maybe two years of development time and release it in June-July 2021 have another Luminous game before FFXVI.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Well hey you never know I mean a Versus XV is pretty much a XV-2 but not a XV-2 probably get another dev team to do it though like idk maybe the KH3 team I mean KH3 is finished so why not. Maybe two years of development time and release it in June-July 2021 have another Luminous game before FFXVI.

The KH team is mostly a team exclusively making only KH games. It will probably move on to the next KH game after KH3 is done.

Xmengrey

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
The KH team is mostly a team exclusively making only KH games. It will probably move on to the next KH game after KH3 is done.
Actually BD3 worked on more than KH

Business Division 3

Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ - continuing updates & international version
World of Final Fantasy - releasing in 2016
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue - releasing in 2016
SaGa Scarlet Grace - releasing in 2016
Kingdom Hearts III

I believe they are even working on Left Alive.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the KH team doesn't start KH4 right away maybe 2021-2022 as the VII Remake will still be worked and in all likelihood they might not want the two games to compete and I think KH4 will be using the Luminous Engine and be a PS5 game.

KH4 will probably take just 3 - 4 years to develop so if they start now they'd have to release it 2021-2022 right in between VII Remake Part 2 and Part 3 which I suspect will be 2021 and 2023. Then they also have FFXVI to worry about.
Maybe a Versus XV could be a great AAA title with a decent audience but not so big that it competes with VII Remake and could take too much attention away from it.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone remembers FFXII? Pretty much the same discrepancy between fan expectations and the actual game happened.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Actually BD3 worked on more than KH

Business Division 3

Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ - continuing updates & international version
World of Final Fantasy - releasing in 2016
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue - releasing in 2016
SaGa Scarlet Grace - releasing in 2016
Kingdom Hearts III

I believe they are even working on Left Alive.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the KH team doesn't start KH4 right away maybe 2021-2022 as the VII Remake will still be worked and in all likelihood they might not want the two games to compete and I think KH4 will be using the Luminous Engine and be a PS5 game

BD3 is not just the Osaka Team. I'm sure BD3 will still work on other projects but Team Osaka will probably start with pre-production of a KH game. Given the history of the series, it won't be a KH4.

Xmengrey

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
BD3 is not just the Osaka Team. I'm sure BD3 will still work on other projects but Team Osaka will probably start with pre-production of a KH game. Given the history of the series, it won't be a KH4.
I'm thinking they'll probably be riding on that mobile game or something. I just mentioned BD3 in general also even though they worked on KH the most doesn't mean it's the only thing they can work on. I mean originally the Osaka Team was just the KH spin-off team that are now working on a mainline KH title.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Giving Nomura a chance to rewrite XV off as a dream rewards him and the company for allocating poor development resources and reducing the actual XV to a punchline. It's abgame that was well enough received and a success in spite of them.

Square need to move on.

Xmengrey

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
Giving Nomura a chance to rewrite XV off as a dream rewards him and the company for allocating poor development resources and reducing the actual XV to a punchline. It's abgame that was well enough received and a success in spite of them.

Square need to move on.
Don't worry the rumor said it was just implied they aren't actually going to say XV was just a dream. They might make allusions to dreams within this supposed Versus XV but they probably won't outright say it and if they do it's probably going to be very end game stuff and likely won't be in any trailer or marketing material.

PR wise I suspect they'll say it's an alternate reality like Dawn of the Future, and Episode Ignis is what they are going to go with.