Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't see why she wouldn't come along. The scions are basically the only people she knows so it would be pretty sad if she's just left on the first all alone lol.

She'll always have G'raha Tia. Now that the Warrior of Darkness has destroyed The Tycoon, he's trapped on the First with the Crystal Tower forever.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Man I haven't played this in a while and it makes me feel guilty. I guess it's because I feel like I'm falling behind gear-wise. I still don't have a single tomestone armor.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Man I haven't played this in a while and it makes me feel guilty. I guess it's because I feel like I'm falling behind gear-wise. I still don't have a single tomestone armor.
Same but 450 is enough for me until the 24-man drops. Nothing to do until then anyway. I can't bring myself to do savages this time. I rediscovered single player games (yay).

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
A Q&A with Yoshida and Banri Oda is going on right now at Gamescom. Going through some story questions mostly.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Tanks and healers always get all the commendations.
Pretty much. The only instances where the DPS get the recommandations are:
  • When the Tank and/or healer were bad, rude and/or left the dungeon already.
  • When the DPS somehow salvaged the run all by himself and/or raised the other players (corollary: the Tank and/or Healer are bad).
  • When the DPS kindly explain the mechanics and is overall a very nice player to play with.
  • When the DPS has an interesting personality.
  • When the other players use ACT and see the DPS is really great.
  • SCREEE!

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Pretty much. The only instances where the DPS get the recommandations are:
  • When the Tank and/or healer were bad, rude and/or left the dungeon already.
  • When the DPS somehow salvaged the run all by himself and/or raised the other players (corollary: the Tank and/or Healer are bad).
  • When the DPS kindly explain the mechanics and is overall a very nice player to play with.
  • When the DPS has an interesting personality.
  • When the other players use ACT and see the DPS is really great.
  • SCREEE!

I mean usually the dps has vanished as soon as a boss is downed, while the cool people stay to say thanks or bye.

I'm trying to recommend dps more often than not, but they're not making it easy..

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have gotten quite a few recommendations as DPS just by being a bit social and making some jokes or comments.
Or, as has been said, explaining mechanics or asking new players if they want some tips.

But yeah,once I switch to tank/healer the commendations roll in.
I tend to get more commendations as the tank than as the healer though.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the phenomenon of DPS leading the group on dungeons and starting attacking the mobs before the tank pulls a Wow thing? Because since I came back is something that happens way more often and pisses me off.

Was wondering if is something that Wow refugees take over from that game or something...

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah it puts me off trying to learn tank. I've gotten better at pulling larger groups to satisfy the pacing demands of the group. But sometimes these dps pull an entire room and both the tanks ability to mitigate and the healers ability to heal just cant keep up.

People need to learn to use text chat if they're not happy with the pace of the tank.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
PSA: It's a really cheap week to go for the 100 point achievement for fashion report if you don't have it already. Only about 4k gill worth of items and dye, all purchasable from vendors.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Took me a while to get used to tank. I get more stressed than playing as DPS but I consider it more fun but last MSQ dungeon was hell with all those adds.
I commend people who explains or says thanks you at the end.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I've gotten hundreds of commendations over time playing only DPS. I don't really talk much in dungeons beyond 'hello' and 'thanks. GG' so I tell myself that it's because they like my deeps. *shrug*

I want to commend DPS more but I will never commend a melee DPS who sits on a full LB bar in a dungeon. So, that's pretty much every melee DPS. Seriously what is with melee guys doing this? It drives me up the wall.

If I'm not able to commend the DPS then I'll give it to the healer. I will never commend a tank unless they go above and beyond explaining stuff to people.

Haven't had much chance to play the past few weeks which is a shame because I kind of wanted to give savage a proper go this time.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Same but 450 is enough for me until the 24-man drops. Nothing to do until then anyway. I can't bring myself to do savages this time. I rediscovered single player games (yay).

Lol same here. Been playing other stuff. No desire to do Savage this time. But I do have a ton of alts to level. What to do...

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten hundreds of commendations over time playing only DPS. I don't really talk much in dungeons beyond 'hello' and 'thanks. GG' so I tell myself that it's because they like my deeps. *shrug*

I want to commend DPS more but I will never commend a melee DPS who sits on a full LB bar in a dungeon. So, that's pretty much every melee DPS. Seriously what is with melee guys doing this? It drives me up the wall.

If I'm not able to commend the DPS then I'll give it to the healer. I will never commend a tank unless they go above and beyond explaining stuff to people.

Haven't had much chance to play the past few weeks which is a shame because I kind of wanted to give savage a proper go this time.

I was just on leviathan normal eden and he was down to like 5% and melee didn't lb so I did as a bard and i think the off tank goes "we have 2 melee dps wtf looool". Idk, i hate seeing it not used.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto

I'm not using limit break if I'm in my burst phase. I promise you that 4 people who actually know how to dps on their jobs is gonna kill the boss faster than the group generating limit break.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I was just on leviathan normal eden and he was down to like 5% and melee didn't lb so I did as a bard and i think the off tank goes "we have 2 melee dps wtf looool". Idk, i hate seeing it not used.

Yeah I am not often on melee so I normally leave it unless it's literally the last minute. So annoying watching them ignore free damage. Not only the full LB but also the lost LB gauge that would have been generating if they used it. If it's a dungeon and they've sat on a full bar for the boss, I use it on the next trash pull. Use it or lose it.

For harder fights I understand since you might want healer LB3 but, like, dungeons man?

I'm not using limit break if I'm in my burst phase. I promise you that 4 people who actually know how to dps on their jobs is gonna kill the boss faster than the group generating limit break.

It only takes one person to LB. What job are you on that has a move that's stronger/higher priority that melee LB? I gotta play that job...

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
It only takes one person to LB. What job are you on that has a move that's stronger/higher priority that melee LB? I gotta play that job...
If i'm on DRG or MNK, no way i'm using limit break until unless it kills in a dungeon. NIN/SAM, sure I'll pop it the moment it's up unless I need to reapply Trick Attack.
It's annoying in dungeons the moment the bar is full and either a healer or tank who don't know how to dps (not implying that's you) is spamming the chat with "LIMIT BREAK, USE IT!!!!" with like 20% left on a dungeon boss that shoulda been dead already.

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
As a melee I hate it when the trial/raid boss is at like 10% and people scream MELEE LB in party chat. It's gonna take off like 2% maximum.

In dungeons, I always leave the LB to range DPS for AOE pulls unless it's the last boss.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm a tank, I'll usually commend the other tank.
If I'm healing, it's usually going to the other healer, or the tank if they didn't make my life hell.
If I'm DPS, I'll usually default to the other DPS, priority to the DNC or DRG.

As a melee I hate it when the trial/raid boss is at like 10% and people scream MELEE LB in party chat. It's gonna take off like 2% maximum.

In dungeons, I always leave the LB to range DPS for AOE pulls unless it's the last boss.

Then it just goes unused entirely, because the BLM doesn't want to get yelled at for "wasting it". :^)

We will get it back again, it isn't gone forever, chill, etc.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I mean usually the dps has vanished as soon as a boss is downed, while the cool people stay to say thanks or bye.

I'm trying to recommend dps more often than not, but they're not making it easy..
They probably rarely get commendations so they don't stick around for probably nothing.

It's the phenomenon of DPS leading the group on dungeons and starting attacking the mobs before the tank pulls a Wow thing? Because since I came back is something that happens way more often and pisses me off.

Was wondering if is something that Wow refugees take over from that game or something...
Think it's just an impatient people thing. Just let them die if they pull early.

In a dungeon it's probably better/faster to use a ranged/caster LB on a big trash pull than on a boss.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Do commendations do anything? Everyone tends to exit the dungeon so quick I'll always just end up giving it to the last guy who hasn't left yet lol.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
BHBK5Hr.jpg

It is done. Now to buy literally everything else in the Golden Saucer.

Do commendations do anything? Everyone tends to exit the dungeon so quick I'll always just end up giving it to the last guy who hasn't left yet lol.
You can get achievements/rewards at certain breakpoints.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
I can see why people said stormbloood drags at points these quests where the WoL has to do mundane stuff to earn the 'trust' of whatever group are kinda annoying.

I'm enjoying the expansion so far but thats mostly because the Eastern flavor of Doma/ Hingashi areas. Also the characters introduced are nice. Always a sucker for rebellion/resistance storylines too.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
If i'm on DRG or MNK, no way i'm using limit break until unless it kills in a dungeon. NIN/SAM, sure I'll pop it the moment it's up unless I need to reapply Trick Attack.
It's annoying in dungeons the moment the bar is full and either a healer or tank who don't know how to dps (not implying that's you) is spamming the chat with "LIMIT BREAK, USE IT!!!!" with like 20% left on a dungeon boss that shoulda been dead already.

I just don't understand how sitting on the limit break is more damage per second than using it. Factoring in the damage from the LB and the lost LB build up from not using it straight away. Fair enough you don't want to mess with the flow of your moves but can't you just find a spot? It doesn't even take that long. Melee guys sitting on a full LB2 in dungeons is just crazy to me.

If you a leveling a job, make sure you commend five times a week for free XP from the challenge log.

In a dungeon it's probably better/faster to use a ranged/caster LB on a big trash pull than on a boss.

I do wind up doing that if melee don't use it but I feel like it's better to kill the boss faster than trash since the boss is more dangerous.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I'm having a hard time understanding which / when CD to use as WAR (just dungeons and normal content) at the end of my journey to PLD lv 80 I think I did pretty good, but I'm super lost as WAR, I don't even know how I got it to 70 so smoothly before ShB, I am constantly running out of defensive options.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I got a neat T Shirt for beating Titania with a group at Gamescom today

I also came to the conclusion while there that the ultimate way to play XIV is at a standing desk with controller for combat and M&K for UI. It feels so natural, like it was meant to be 🥰

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time understanding which / when CD to use as WAR (just dungeons and normal content) at the end of my journey to PLD lv 80 I think I did pretty good, but I'm super lost as WAR, I don't even know how I got it to 70 so smoothly before ShB, I am constantly running out of defensive options.

Until you get Nascent Flash (76), WAR won't feel good on dungeon. PLD gets all it's defensive CD way before, so that's why it it's way more easier to go for big pulls.

The best you can do is spam Raw Intuition everytime it's up. Then manage your CD as best as you can, you should use equilibrium and thrill of battle when you are on a pinch and your HP gets too low.

Otherwise, might be better to avoid big pulls on leveling SB dungeons.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Until you get Nascent Flash (76), WAR won't feel good on dungeon. PLD gets all it's defensive CD way before, so that's why it it's way more easier to go for big pulls.

The best you can do is spam Raw Intuition everytime it's up. Then manage your CD as best as you can, you should use equilibrium and thrill of battle when you are on a pinch and your HP gets too low.

Otherwise, might be better to avoid big pulls on leveling SB dungeons.

Alright, then better to take it slow, its a shame Enhanced Thrill of Battle is all the way on lv 78, I would have rather get that for 72 or 74 better.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

No

If anything it happens more here because the expectation is that the tank is going to pull every mob no matter what.

Warrior has the most cooldowns though.
Don't sleep on Raw Intuition. You can throw that down between basically each other CD and be good to go.

Otherwise between Arm's Length, Rampart, Thrill of Battle, and Vengeance, you've got coverage for fucking days. 70+ DRK is the easiest to just meme your way through dungeons, but warrior is right behind imo, and warrior can do it from early levels since all those cooldowns are quite low. Nascent Flash is nice, but raw intuition is almost as good and you get it at like, idk sub 30.

As far as 'when' . it's the same on all the tanks: Rotate them until things start dying. If it's a big pull, the bigger ones earlier are better, if you're pulling less or have multiple pulls back to back, I'd just do rampart/arms length, but usually if you're not using them, it means you cna pull more.

Just got to the formation of the Crystal Braves in the ARR story. Am I getting close to Heavensward?
Not even close.

Last edited:

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Jumping on the tanking bandwagon...is Tenacity worth it for normal content? Or should I keep my Direct Hit Melds?

EDIT: GNB by the way! I throw a bit of SkS.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
The 5.1 Live Letter featuring guests Yoko Taro and Yousuke Saitou is going to be on September 15.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Warrior has the most cooldowns though.
Don't sleep on Raw Intuition. You can throw that down between basically each other CD and be good to go.

Otherwise between Arm's Length, Rampart, Thrill of Battle, and Vengeance, you've got coverage for fucking days. 70+ DRK is the easiest to just meme your way through dungeons, but warrior is right behind imo, and warrior can do it from early levels since all those cooldowns are quite low. Nascent Flash is nice, but raw intuition is almost as good and you get it at like, idk sub 30.

As far as 'when' . it's the same on all the tanks: Rotate them until things start dying. If it's a big pull, the bigger ones earlier are better, if you're pulling less or have multiple pulls back to back, I'd just do rampart/arms length, but usually if you're not using them, it means you cna pull more.

The funny thing is that, yeah enemies have been dying waaaay faster and on my few runs of Castrum Abania my HP was higher than on PLD on the big pulls, but I don't know if I'm doing good or the healers I have now are not DPS focus. Is there any rule for when to use Raw Intuition vs Nascent Flash?

Something I noticed after the release of ShB is a ton more of green DPS especially WHM that don't even bother using regen.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that, yeah enemies have been dying waaaay faster and on my few runs of Castrum Abania my HP was higher than on PLD on the big pulls, but I don't know if I'm doing good or the healers I have now are not DPS focus. Is there any rule for when to use Raw Intuition vs Nascent Flash?

Something I noticed after the release of ShB is a ton more of green DPS especially WHM that don't even bother using regen.
No 'rule', I just think of it like this:
A) can you survive the damage in the first place IE: a tankbuster, if no then Raw is the only choice.
B) Are you going to heal yourself for more damage than the Raw Intuition would mitigate.

In 5 mans, USUALLY nascent is ideal, but on tankbusters it might not be depending on what's going on with your current dps rotation spot.

In reality they're both effective health - whatever raw prevents is healing you don't need, and whatever nascent heals is damage you might as well not have taken, at a very reductive level. Thus, you just need to compare the healing of flash vs the mit of intuition.

Status
Not open for further replies.