Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
If I can disregard the draw magic system entirely, I may actually be interested in playing this game again and finishing it this time.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been loving the response to the remaster so far. Here is a bunch of reactions to the announcement:

1:23:11 for reaction

Maximillian Dood had a funny reaction. I always appreciate that even if someone isn't a huge fan they can be happy for others:

There is lot's more that are fantastic. There is also a few videos of the reaction from the audience when it happened.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Damn, It's just the PC version with new models for the main characters. Everything else is the same, even the framerate. I'd rather play the old version for consistency reasons.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I literally just bought the project angel wing mod thing as well as the Steam version - I guess I'll wait for this to release and then hope that the Angel Wing modders transfer their background mods to this remaster.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Damn, It's just the PC version with new models for the main characters. Everything else is the same, even the framerate. I'd rather play the old version for consistency reasons.

Hopefully this changes in the coming months. If it's really such a low quality port I'm sure a lot of fans will just stick to the PS1 version. I'd love to buy 8 again, but if I'll have a better experience playing the original on my vita then that's the point?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Ironically a lot of the side NPCs look better (or aged better) than the main characters in the original because they were less ambitious.

Just use the new models from the remaster, the HD modded backgrounds then apply a light CRT filter and it will be great.

FF9 is a good example, the other NPCs looked solid while the main cast was awful, and the remaster fixed that.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
First of all we don't even know what else the game has to offer since the only preview we have seen is the completely new models(which is pretty huge considering every character/NPC is getting remastered models), new UI(only seen battle update) and some information on the boosters available. These are pretty massive updates especially for console players.

I don't know why you would think this is the PC version when the UI and models are completely changed.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

More on the remaster from Famitsu with more information.

I'm worried about the wording saying "some models" when I was hoping all were getting updated. I'll needto check the article for more information since I'm at work.

Edit: Not as much new infotmation as I expected. A lot of opinion parts from the writer. It is looking more and more like Steam version will be the only one to have all cheats.

Console versions get:

- HP, ATB is always the maximum value function can activate special skill at any time equipped

- Turn on/off random encounters

- 3x Speed

Have you played FF7 on PS4 (or Switch)? It has the same audio bugs as the Steam re-release, and the original PC version.

The only way to know if DotEmu put some effort on FF8 is to see if all sound effects and music work properly.
Yeah I know all I'm saying is we don't know enough yet to say this is just a pc port especially with the updates already shown.

Last edited:

Talax

Oct 27, 2017
Best FF getting best treatment. I need a release date fast. And trophy details. XD

Meows

Oct 28, 2017

I'm worried about the wording saying "some models" when I was hoping all were getting updated. I'll needto check the article for more information since I'm at work.

Yeah I know all I'm saying is we don't know enough yet to say this is just a pc port especially with the updates already shown.
That would be a little disappointing if it is only just the protagonists and some key NPCs.. but it could be worse, I suppose. Just having the main characters done so significantly is all I ever really wanted (and my expectation was basically a straight port, so anything is great).

Also, the Google translation on that article is a mess, especially their description of Zell:

Zell's normal model originally had a beautiful face, but in the remastered version it is a little more cute. The masculinity of the movie is diminishing.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Not as much new infotmation as I expected. A lot of opinion parts from the writer. It is looking more and more like Steam version will be the only one to have all cheats.

Console versions get:

- HP, ATB is always the maximum value function can activate special skill at any time equipped

- 3x Speed

The console versions are probably getting less because of trophies. I'm sure there going to be some trophies like "Collect all the Triple Triad cards", "Obtain all the GFs", and "Draw every spell".

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it I don't see them remodelling any of the smaller NPCs in all the different towns and such. Doesn't really make sense to put that much effort into a character you'll see a couple of times. It'll be pretty jarring though having super detailed Squall speaking to a PS1 model.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
That would be a little disappointing if it is only just the protagonists and some key NPCs.. but it could be worse, I suppose. Just having the main characters done so significantly is all I ever really wanted (and my expectation was basically a straight port, so anything is great).

Also, the Google translation on that article is a mess, especially their description of Zell:
Yeah I saw that and laughed xD I hope we get some clarifications on the information currently released because the articles being completely in Japanese makes confirming aspects a little harder.

I just want the English website to update already since the Japanese one already has so much information.

The console versions are probably getting less because of trophies. I'm sure there going to be some trophies like "Collect all the Triple Triad cards", "Obtain all the GFs", and "Draw every spell".
Trophies will be interesting because if it's true that chocobo world is removed then that means the achievement is gone too.

I would happily accept 10k kills acheivement being removed.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
They did IX first.
1raJj9MI_o.png

Is the PC improved like this or this is only PS4? I remember the PS4 version of FF7 having better models than the Steam FFVII.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a guide on how to play this game properly? I don't want to break the fucking thing, but I never felt like I was playing the game properly. Especially getting new weapons. Trying to find stupid magazines and then the parts to craft those weapons.

The whole drawing thing too. Like I draw 100 of everything and then junction it? But then there is no incentive to use the spells because then my stats decrease.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Since all FF8 fans have amazing taste, I want to share, in case you missed, that Square is remaking (properly, unlike secret of mana) Seiken Densetsu 3 and it looks so good.

I'm crying.

42dd44aa31c1caaf87fa73a3c972cc1d.jpg

D8y90AMXUAE1zUs.jpg

Square holds us by the balls.

Like all they need to do next year is announce Chrono Trigger : reload and we're basically eternal slaves.

Secret of Mana remake was bad?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a guide on how to play this game properly? I don't want to break the fucking thing, but I never felt like I was playing the game properly. Especially getting new weapons. Trying to find stupid magazines and then the parts to craft those weapons.

The whole drawing thing too. Like I draw 100 of everything and then junction it? But then there is no incentive to use the spells because then my stats decrease.
Ideally you would be refining your magic from items/cards not hanging around in battles drawing. Prioritize those GF refine skills. Also, play the card game/turn enemies into cards.

The weapon crafting is like any other game really. Find the books with the new recipes and then the monsters that drop the items you need.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

I'm a little busy at work but I'm sure others will go over the game in more detail.

- weapons don't require magazines. The magazines just show you the materials needed and make the weapon name pop up on the shop list.

- The only time you should be using the Draw mechanic is for GF and draw points which are those pink flows

- levelling makes the enemies scale to your level. If you want an easier playthrough avoid levelling since bosses don't give exp. Decide how you want to play with that.

- Refining is the core feature in VIII. You can create powerful spells and plenty of them. Junction stats will be higher depending on the magic equipped. Cure/Cura/Curaga is best on HP for example

I can go into more later!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you played FF7 on PS4 (or Switch)? It has the same audio bugs as the Steam re-release, and the original PC version.

The only way to know if DotEmu put some effort on FF8 is to see if all sound effects and music work properly.
Not on Switch, they patched it recently.

FFIX still has the bug, tho

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
All done by the same team with different budgets.

Remake of Adventures :

adventures-of-mana-6.jpg

Remake of Secret :

impressions_secret_of_mana_remake_01.jpg

Remake of Seiken 3 :

y_5cff4aa09d97b.jpg

y_5cff4aa0a3ae2.jpg

y_5cff4aa0bc1cb.jpg

LMFAO

Never happening. Just buy the PC version and use the mod that will drop first week (since it's already made for current version).

Already know that the graphics are better for Mana 3. But is the Secret remake bad? What about Legend?

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017

Console versions get:

- 3x Speed

No Encounters is an odd choice given Diablos' abilities. Then again, maybe that's a good thing. 2 free abilities to delete to add on Pocketstation exclusive ones. If they're even included.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
But if they make the weapon name pop up on the shop list they ARE required... or whatever, you could skip issues and just upgrade directly to the best ones xD
Oh sorry I should clarify. The name will pop up if you have the materials. The magazine just makes it show permanently but greyed out until you have the materials.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Already know that the graphics are better for Mana 3. But is the Secret remake bad? What about Legend?

I mean, if you are asking about the gameplay, SoM remake was very close to the original with some quality of life and improvements (and stuff I disliked like permanent run and the dumb mini map).

But destroying the visual identity of the game not only ruined the graphics it ruined most of the scenes because you couldn't take them seriously, and raw emotions is a staple of this series so yeah.

Is the PC improved like this or this is only PS4? I remember the PS4 version of FF7 having better models than the Steam FFVII.

This is on PC of course. PC also has modded HD backgrounds, the definitive version to play.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please explain "the audio bug". I've only heard about the main theme not looping properly during the full Nibelheim Incident sequence in Cloud's mind in CD2. I heard that only that was fixed.
Audio bug was that the field music would reset after each battle instead of continuing where it left off before the battle. That's been fixed along with a few times when the wrong music played during scenes.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Please explain "the audio bug". I've only heard about the main theme not looping properly during the full Nibelheim Incident sequence in Cloud's mind in CD2. I heard that only that was fixed.

They apparently also fixed the one where the music would always start from the beginning after you finished a battle. Now it continues from the point it was at before. Here is a link to some other info about the bugs that have been addressed:

"Thankfully, Square Enix has sent out a fix for FFVII – not only to address the faulty overworld music playback, but also the black screen that appeared when transitioning from cutscenes to gameplay. They're gone. What's more, the music in the flashback scene now plays as originally intended."

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
I really hope they release a boxset of all three psx FF's once this is out. I like my games physical. Release on pc. :)

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They fixed the Nibel Mansion music not looping properly, and Omnislash and Comet2 cutting the sound? And Aero3 using the Bad Breath sound effect? I've watched a recent Switch gameplay video and at least the Omnislash bug is still there.
I'm only certain that they fixed the overworld/dungeon music resetting after battles. Not sure about the rest but the patch note "fixed other minor bugs" might refer to those things.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, i see, but the field music bug was not on the PC version. I know it required a mod to be fixed for FF9 (yeah it was there, too) on Steam.
I can't remember to be honest. But I do know the PC version was a different build to later releases. It had different boosters for example. I think currently only the PS4 version has the bug.