• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 26, 2018
For everybody flipping shit about the ghost things, I just replayed the game recently, and you do in fact fight some ghost enemies early on in Midgar. Not at the Aeris meeting but not long after. Pretty sure this is just introducing those enemies, not like a major crazy plot element or anything.

Then what are they doing chilling right next to Sephiroth in his key art

They can't be rando mobs

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
I would be losing my shit far less about this "remake" if they bothered to give old fans a viable alternative that included a full fledged retranslation. You wouldn't hear shit from me.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
A remake not for me despite the fact that:

FF7 was literally my first FF and RPG.
Twenty years ago I was the target audience and I now SE no longer considers me a part of the target audience.
They have released lazy, shoddy versions of the game. The original DESERVES a retranslation and cleaned up visuals. The fact that they released FF7 on ps4/xbo/switch without a retranslation is utter, utter bullshit while they try to sell us a game that is not a remake but a reiminaging.

Here, take your scraps they say. It infuriates me.

Are you actually infuriated that:

1. We are able to play the original masterpiece in PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC
  2. We are getting a cutting edge graphical Remake this generation
Really? For a FF7 fan you seem pretty upset about everything FF7-related in 2019.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There is some serious leaping to conclusions going on in this thread.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though since it happened with the RE2 remake as well.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
For everybody flipping shit about the ghost things, I just replayed the game recently, and you do in fact fight some ghost enemies early on in Midgar. Not at the Aeris meeting but not long after. Pretty sure this is just introducing those enemies, not like a major crazy plot element or anything.

Nah.

The introduction to Aerith in FFVII is a big part of her character.

A bomb goes off and Aerith, in the midst of the panic, is knocked down by scared pedestrians. She gets up, dusts herself off, and remains calm. That is my Aerith. The woman that died to protect the planet while summoning Holy without one complaint.

And now they have her attacked? And she's scared and panicked and "GOD HELP ME!"? That is a massive change in the characters introduction and how she personifies herself.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
The substance the hooded figures are made of looks like the 'dark Lifestream' from Advent Children to me. Wonder if it's Aerith seeing Sephiroth's presence in the Lifestream and freaking out. Why it would take the form of hooded ghosts though, I've no idea. Possibly people's spirits from the Lifestream that have become tainted/corrupted by Sephiroth?

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would be losing my shit far less about this "remake" if they bothered to give old fans a viable alternative that included a full fledged retranslation. You wouldn't hear shit from me.
Is that all you want? Fans have re-translated the game. Otherwise Square has put the original version out on multiple platforms recently.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Alternatively to the "ghosts" being Sephiroth clones, they could be a new origin for the Remnants of Sephiroth:
LVaWUJu.jpg

There are 3 ghosts and 3 remnants. Now they were weird ghost things Sephiroth made, but after he was defeated at the end of FF7 they were left behind and became sentient.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
watching the trailer in slow motion was easier for me to understand now, cloud doesnt see the shadows before and only starts to see after aerith grabs his hand, so it cant be sephiroth clones or sephirothn remnants, because a) they arent invisible in the original b) and even if they were in the remake, by logic cloud should be able to see them
because he also has sephiroth genes and has a connection to him
, the voices of the planet is the only answer viable so far i think, unless nomura will go crazy

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Is that all you want? Fans have re-translated the game. Otherwise Square has put the original version out on multiple platforms recently.

I mentioned that earlier. It's lazy as fuck. They have, again, translated FFIV at least on 4-5 occasions. They re-release their most famous game and couldn't be assed to give it the translation it deserves. It's lazy, showing preicsely the mindset of modern Square Enix. The Square of ten years ago even would have gone all out and retranslated FFVII with a fucking AO Smith script. Scraping the bottom of the barrel, doing the least of things, doing the easiest way out, that's modern SE.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
The substance the hooded figures are made of looks like the 'dark Lifestream' from Advent Children to me. Wonder if it's Aerith seeing Sephiroth's presence in the Lifestream and freaking out. Why it would take the form of hooded ghosts though, I've no idea. Possibly people's spirits from the Lifestream that have become tainted/corrupted by Sephiroth?

That´s a more realistic scenario for me:

She is connected to the planet, something happens, maybe all the recent deaths because of the reactor explosion? She touches Cloud and he sees it too?

I don't see where people connect Sephiroth to this scene. The poster is something else, the trailer does not include him.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
People are just being realistic and setting their expectations accordingly. A complete ass game would be lovely, but it's not happening.
Square Enix's claim is that each part of FFVII will be like a full game (outside of the story being cut into parts) & have content similar to the amount one part of FFXIII's trilogy has. To get Midgar to be that much content, AT THE VERY LEAST, they'd have to expand it to be 3-4x the size it is in the original game. That doesn't sound particularly realistic.

So far the remake has been fairly 1:1 to the original game to the point where people can take screenshots from the original game and juxtapose those with scenes from the remake. There are slightly altered scenes/rewritten dialogue but ultimately it all still follows the blueprint of the original fairly closely, outside of what is probably just a short hallusination shot of Sephiroth by Cloud and those shadows in this trailer.
Midgar will be longer than in the original game simply due to the somewhat modernized nature of this remake but not 3-4x the OG Midgar prologue that it would require if they are still holding on to the "each part will be like a full game" aim.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jessie being surprised at the damage is utter bullshit.

Avalanche are not good people. That's a corner stone of the damn story. Cid isn't a good person. Tifa isn't, Barret, Vincent, Cloud. They're people that try to be good people and end up failing a lot. Jessie knows exactly what she signed up for. The news in FFVII shows Avalanche killed innocents! The same news Jessie watches as she realizes she fucked up the first bomb and decided to make another.
It doesn't really change anything, yar? Jessie in the original is surprised at the damage while watching the news. They pretty much just moved the conversation?

Did I say anywhere that I didn't prioritize the story as well? Where are you actually seeing the changes? Are you focusing on the black smoke implying that it disrupts the overall pacing and scenes somehow?

We don't know that, its just a trailer with random early-Midgar scenes edited together. For all intent and purposes its just a dramatic effect to "display higher senses" for both Aerith and Cloud (Cetra and Showered with Mako). We know nothing.
I wouldn't say anything about pacing distrupting or whatnot because it's a trailer. However, I really like how Aerith just came off as nobody special to Cloud during their first encounter. Just a random flower-selling girl who he may or may not buy a flower from to maybe give to Tifa or Marlene. Aerith forcing a flower to Cloud in the previous trailer already changed that. This trailer takes it to the next level.

May 26, 2018
That´s a more realistic scenario for me:

She is connected to the planet, something happens, maybe all the recent deaths because of the reactor explosion? She touches Cloud and he sees it too?

I don't see where people connect Sephiroth to this scene. The poster is something else, the trailer does not include him.

I don't understand how you ignore the key art. How do you describe its creation?

Did Square pull in a PNG of the ghosts with a transparent background and say, "eh, it looks good and spooky" with no meaning whatsoever?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Alternatively to the "ghosts" being Sephiroth clones, they could be a new origin for the Remnants of Sephiroth:
LVaWUJu.jpg

There are 3 ghosts and 3 remnants. Now they were weird ghost things Sephiroth made, but after he was defeated at the end of FF7 they were left behind and became sentient.

dear jesus no

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

The Trailer before this one. FF7 State of Play trailer. Right after the explosion, Cloud is looking up through the flames and sees Sephiroth.

At 50 seconds in, and he's also talking to Cloud as well, but that's a whole different tangent I won't go into.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Nah.

The introduction to Aerith in FFVII is a big part of her character.

A bomb goes off and Aerith, in the midst of the panic, is knocked down by scared pedestrians. She gets up, dusts herself off, and remains calm. That is my Aerith. The woman that died to protect the planet while summoning Holy without one complaint.

And now they have her attacked? And she's scared and panicked and "GOD HELP ME!"? That is a massive change in the characters introduction and how she personifies herself.

k

I'm just saying there were ghost enemies in the original game and this doesn't mean they are necessarily going crazy adding Genesis in or wildly changing the story. There is naturally gonna be a lot more dialogue and scenes that aren't necessarily gonna play out the same as the stilted dialogue and handful of emotes in the original game, I understand this scene doesn't work for you. The game may not work for me, I would have preferred a graphically modernized version of the old game, but we've known that ain't gonna happen for years now.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't read any of the FFVII novellas etc, and it's a long time since I've seen AC - were the remnants present before AC, as in during FFVII? I thought they appeared in the Lifestream after Sephiroth was defeated but i don't actually know. If they're introducing the Remnants.... Hoo boy. :/

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
In Midgar, no less! :)

At the end, you just fight Sephiroth for no good reason. "It's been a long time... CLOUD..."

"Sephirooooth!"

"Did you like my idea of breeding Red XIII with Aerith?"

"That was YOUR PLAN!? OaauUUgHhhGHH"

Estuans Interius
Ira vehemti

I'm still trying to get over what they did to "Hurry Faster" in this and the last trailer :( Barely recognizeable.

We cant deny this will 90% be the case, but I have to hold out hope. Imagine how little we knew about God of War and the way that game was able to surprise everyone because of the lack of info we were given/shown.

Apples to Tomatoes, that comparison is though. God of War was a sequel/reboot to a game, not a remake of an existing one. We know the story beats of this, and the trailers don't hold up to scrutiny if we're to assume they're being made from the perspective of "selling it" to people who know nothing about the game.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
It doesn't really change anything, yar? Jessie in the original is surprised at the damage while watching the news. They pretty much just moved the conversation?

I wouldn't say anything about pacing distrupting or whatnot because it's a trailer. However, I really like how Aerith just came off as nobody special to Cloud during their first encounter. Just a random flower-selling girl who he may or may not buy a flower from to maybe give to Tifa or Marlene. Aerith forcing a flower to Cloud in the previous trailer already changed that. This trailer takes it to the next level.

Huh?

Jessie is surprised by how LITTLE damage there was and decided she fucked the bomb up. That's why literally the next day they go back to plant a new bomb: because the original bomb wasn't her best.

Here Jessie is like,"we did this?!?!" after making a bomb for a terrorist attack. It's fucking stupid. Jessie knew what she signed up for.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read any of the FFVII novellas etc, and it's a long time since I've seen AC - were the remnants present before AC, as in during FFVII? I thought they appeared in the Lifestream after Sephiroth was defeated but i don't actually know. If they're introducing the Remnants.... Hoo boy. :/
only post ff7

zeitheist

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They should call this "reimagining" instead of "remake". This is no remake. It fails to capture the soul, essence, feel, or whimsical magic of the original. This is a completely different original game vaguely based on the happenings of the first. What's with all the character pain barks? This is stupidly nuts.
I hate this.

Unfortunately I have to agree. From the trailer this looks like it's going to be a dumbed-down, button smashing, charmless, trying too hard to be cool piece of shit. Not to mention the horrible English voice acting and these pain barks... Someone should remove the music from this trailer to emphasize how ridiculous this sounds.

Yes I know it's supposed to be a new game and changes are normal. But besides the (amazing) graphics all changes so far suck IMO.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh?

Jessie is surprised by how LITTLE damage there was and decided she fucked the bomb up. That's why literally the next day they go back to plant a new bomb: because the original bomb wasn't her best.

Here Jessie is like,"we did this?!?!" after making a bomb for a terrorist attack. It's fucking stupid. Jessie knew what she signed up for.
Wait, no. Jessie is explicitly surprised at how big the blast was, and ponders if it's her fault even though she's only following the schematic.

And the mission the next day has nothing to do with that. The second bombing mission is for Reactor 5, a different reactor than the opening's Reactor 1.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm still trying to get over what they did to "Hurry Faster" in this and the last trailer :( Barely recognizeable.

Apples to Tomatoes, that comparison is though. God of War was a sequel/reboot to a game, not a remake of an existing one. We know the story beats of this, and the trailers don't hold up to scrutiny if we're to assume they're being made from the perspective of "selling it" to people who know nothing about the game.

Right, if they are being shown to sell new player on it. However, if that isn't totally the case, then by insistently not showing footage past early areas of the game, it might condition us to accept that they aren't doing more than Midgar, and it can have that blades of chaos effect that took most everyone by surprise when in this case you are introduced to the expansive overworld. Wishful thinking?

May 26, 2018
Huh?

Wait a second, I thought they didn't go back, but actually went to a new reactor?

Was I tragically mistaken as a child?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

No, the way it's framed in this trailer they seem to be changing it so that it actually wasn't Avalanche's fault that the explosion caused as much damage as it did.

It's kinda important that they be to blame for innocent deaths. Especially for Barret.

Regarding Aerith, she's supposed to be headstrong and manipulative. She strings Cloud along for much of the game and clearly knows more about him than she lets on.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017

Thought so. Well idk then lol

Still think it's likely to do with Sephiroth corrupting the Lifestream/Aerith freaking out when she senses the corrupted spirits of the dead. I don't see how it would make sense for the remnants to exist at the same time as sephiroth since he's still 'alive' at this point.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
LVaWUJu.jpg

finalfantasy.fandom.com

Sephiroth Clone

We've finally released samples into town. They walk all around town, but do not seem to want to leave it. Furthermore, two of them are still in their pods. Again, no explanation is provided to me. Could the procedure have failed? No, impossible! Professor Hojo's experiments don't...

Since the Sephiroth Clones are kind of the same thing, I hope it's that rather than that trio being introduced early. I'd like to see the hooded guys essentially be similar to V in Devil May Cry where their physical bodies are weak, but they can summon shadows to do the fighting for them.

May 26, 2018
Thought so. Well idk then lol

Still think it's likely to do with Sephiroth corrupting the Lifestream/Aerith freaking out when she senses the corrupted spirits of the dead. I don't see how it would make sense for the remnants to exist at the same time as sephiroth since he's still 'alive' at this point.

Because FF7 and its spinoffs are popular so everything that was mysterious is now blaringly on-the-nose for fan service?

I've seen it happen before in other properties.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Floating ghost spookies in the opening Midgar segment?! Nah man, I don't like that. If they're adding new shit to the story then that's just gonna give me flashbacks to all the awful new story additions that featured in AC/CC... like Gackt. That's the last thing I want from Remake.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Wait, no. Jessie is literally surprised at how big the blast was, and ponders if it's her fault even though she's only following the schematic.

And the mission the next day has nothing to do with that. The second bombing mission is for Reactor 5, a different reactor than the first's Reactor 1.

You're right about the reactor being different.

Either way:

Oops...
Hey, look at the news... What a blast.
Think it was all because of my bomb? But all I really did was just make it like the computer told me.
Oh no! I must've made a miscalculation somewhere.
Hey, that was my bomb's debut. Makes me kinda proud.

She's proud. Because Jessie is a terrorist. "We did this?!?!" Nah.

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
They should call this "reimagining" instead of "remake". This is no remake. It fails to capture the soul, essence, feel, or whimsical magic of the original. This is a completely different original game vaguely based on the happenings of the first. What's with all the character pain barks? This is stupidly nuts.
I hate this.

"Vaguely based on"...

Come on, this is a remake haha.
I'm not saying you are wrong about the change of tone, buy it's too early to say.

The game up to the second bombing mission is quite intense.

May 26, 2018
"Vaguely based on"...

Come on, this is a remake haha.
I'm not saying you are wrong about the change of tone, buy it's too early to say.

The game up to the second bombing mission is quite intense.

I will say one thing, independent of this guy.

Midgar, for most of its run, is pretty grounded. Yeah, you have materia that casts magic and dudes with swords taking down huge machines, but it all stays within a self-consistent bubble of reality. There's a certain "high tech low life" slummy feel where the poor are trying to rise up and defeat these woefully misguided "a god am I" zaibatsu types.

If you're having Aerith dodge Sephiroth ghosts when you first meet her, it's...

It makes me feel weird, OK?