• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
3V7hcBc.png

🤔
Look at the Commands Menu it also has two bars.

RedHotHero

Nov 24, 2017
Looks good. I look forward to trying it out.

It looks how my imagination ran the original when I played it back when.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
finalfantasy.fandom.com

Sephiroth Clone

We've finally released samples into town. They walk all around town, but do not seem to want to leave it. Furthermore, two of them are still in their pods. Again, no explanation is provided to me. Could the procedure have failed? No, impossible! Professor Hojo's experiments don't...

Since the Sephiroth Clones are kind of the same thing, I hope it's that rather than that trio being introduced early. I'd like to see the hooded guys essentially be similar to V in Devil May Cry where their physical bodies are weak, but they can summon shadows to do the fighting for them.
Well, the clones are humans that had their minds wiped by mako poisoning and were injected with Jenova cells. The Remnants are actual pieces of Sephiroth.

My thought is if it's them they wouldn't be like in AC. They'd just be manifestations of Sephiroth's will with no autonomy. After Sephiroth is defeated they are left behind and develop into how they are in AC. The Sephiroth you chase around for most of the game is basically a remnant anyway.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I have to agree. From the trailer this looks like it's going to be a dumbed-down, button smashing, charmless, trying too hard to be cool piece of shit. Not to mention the horrible English voice acting and these pain barks... Someone should remove the music from this trailer to emphasize how ridiculous this sounds.

Yes I know it's supposed to be a new game and changes are normal. But besides the (amazing) graphics all changes so far suck IMO.
Because the original FFVII is SO DEEP. You certainly don't just mash a button to pick the attack command in 99% of the random battles that start every 2 steps. Because that's so utterly amazing & fun.

This game has some people involved with the combat who are behind one of the best action RPG combat systems of all time. Will this reach that height? Maybe not, but it's very likely going to be at least somewhat competent and, as such, enjoyable as an action RPG. Perhaps a bit buttonsmashy but that doesn't mean there's no room for depth that requires skill to pull off.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thought so. Well idk then lol

Still think it's likely to do with Sephiroth corrupting the Lifestream/Aerith freaking out when she senses the corrupted spirits of the dead. I don't see how it would make sense for the remnants to exist at the same time as sephiroth since he's still 'alive' at this point.
yeah i think the idea that those are spirits, makes more sense to me now, even though that sephiroth image might give another impression.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
there was gameplay. and more will probably be shown tomorrow

would be reassuring to see way more, which i'm kinda doubting we will. but see where it goes
Yeah lets hope for some in-depth gameplay presentation at the SE conference. Strange to drop this lackluster trailer and release date way before the conference? Was it leaked?

Oct 31, 2017
Game looks fantastic.

All these entitled morons saying "this isn't MY FFVII" can go pop in the game on their PS1. Or PC. Or PS3. Or PS4. Or PSP. Or Vita. Or Switch.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Because the original FFVII is SO DEEP. You certainly don't just mash a button to pick the attack command in 99% of the random battles that start every 2 steps. Because that's so utterly amazing & fun.

This game has some people involved with the combat who are behind one of the best action RPG combat systems of all time. Will this reach that height? Maybe not, but it's very likely going to be at least somewhat competent and, as such, enjoyable as an action RPG. Perhaps a bit buttonsmashy but that doesn't mean there's no room for depth that requires skill to pull off.

Yeah, so the only alternative to making the original ATB have deeper gameplay and combat is to scrap it entirely and make it have an action rpg battle system. The original battle system can't be improved, it needs to be gotten rid of entirely right? I think FFX-2 ATB would have been fine.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She's proud. Because Jessie is a terrorist. "We did this?!?!" Nah.
We don't even know what Remake Jessie feels about it because she said nothing like "we did this?!?!" in the trailer. What we know certain is that the bomb's blast is bigger than she expected in the original game, and that Original Jessie is ultimately remorseful about all the lives lost.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Colour me very surprised there's no 'Episode' naming convention in any of the art, trailers or promo stuff yet.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
We don't even know what Remake Jessie feels about it because she said nothing like "we did this?!?!" in the trailer. What we know certain is that the bomb's blast is bigger than she expected in the original game, and that Original Jessie is ultimately remorseful about all the lives lost.

Yes she did.

00:36

The entire conversation is about how they feel about the blast almost as a way to backtrack their actions.

The only time they show remorse in the original is when Shinra knocks the pillar down and Sector 7 is attacked.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes she did.

The entire conversation is about how they feel about the blast almost as a way to backtrack their actions.

The only time they show remorse in the original is when Shinra knocks the pillar down and Sector 7 is attacked.
I feel like you're taking more things that what's actually shown. It is their very first bombing run, and it blew up more than they expected. They go "whoa this is a lot to take in" and Barret goes "yeah but this is what must be done". How else do you envision that conversation could go? You talk about "they're terrorist they know what they signed up for" but it's not like they're unflinching, hardened veterans.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
People getting mad at critical opinion might not realize that the same guy hailed for his expertise in ARPG's delivered one of my most souring experiences this year, considering the hype I had going in.

zeitheist

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This game has some people involved with the combat who are behind one of the best action RPG combat systems of all time. Will this reach that height?

I'm worried all it might reach are the depths of the FFVX combat system.

I've removed all the bad voice acting from the trailer for you guys. The remaining sounds are similar to the sounds I made when I watched the trailer.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes she did.

jessie shows remorse, but only during her death, before that she's kinda proud and worried?
"Jessie
Oops...
Hey, look at the news... What a blast.
Think it was all because of my bomb? But all I really did was just make it like the computer told me.
Oh no! I must've made a miscalculation somewhere.
Hey, that was my bomb's debut. Makes me kinda proud."

"Jessie
That's... all right...
Because... of our actions... many...... people died...... this probably...... is our punishment..."

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
I feel like you're taking more things that what's actually shown. It is their very first bombing run, and it blew up more than they expected. You talk about "they're terrorist they know what they signed up for" but it's not like they're hardened veterans.

True. I don't know. Something about the remake rubs me off so I might be overly critical about it. FFVII is a very important to me so I'm probably more emotional about this than I should be and I don't know how to dial it down regarding this remake. The fact Nomura and SE have said their main goal is to attract "new players" after years of older players asking for a remake makes me feel, in a way, slighted. It's impossible for me to talk about this game without being emotional about it and I'm sorry if my responses are reflected in that capacity.

The concern I have is that they'll whitewash the actions of the characters. They're not good people.

jessie shows remorse, but only during her death, before that she's kinda proud and worried?

Uh, yeah. Just like I said?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I do hope they reveal asap how much plot this entry will contain because at the moment they are selling the game as FFVII and not as FFVII-Part 1.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
The game looks great but we're probably going to be disappointed when they announce what is included in part 1. I have serious doubts that it'll be equivalent to disc 1.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
lol I knew from the second they said they weren't going to just do a straight remake that people were going to get mad the second they followed through with that visually.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True. I don't know. Something about the remake rubs me off so I might be overly critical about it. FFVII is a very important to me so I'm probably more emotional about this than I should be and I don't know how to dial it down regarding this remake. The fact Nomura and SE have said their main goal is to attract "new players" after years of older players asking for a remake makes me feel, in a way, slighted. It's impossible for me to talk about this game without being emotional about it and I'm sorry if my responses are reflected in that capacity.

The concern I have is that they'll whitewash the actions of the characters. They're not good people.

Uh, yeah. Just like I said?
i misread the last sentence as after those events

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Just woke up and might not be able to watch now.

Does this seem like everything they'll do? Or will they have a new trailer in their conference?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, so the only alternative to making the original ATB have deeper gameplay and combat is to scrap it entirely and make it have an action rpg battle system. The original battle system can't be improved, it needs to be gotten rid of entirely right? I think FFX-2 ATB would have been fine.
I didn't say that they couldn't have gone with a different direction & kept an improved version of the old school FF combat, but let's stop acting as if just the mere decision of turning this into an action RPG is somehow dumbing down FFVII's combat or that action RPGs don't require any skill or can't have any depth (even buttonsmashy ones).

Final Fantasy is a mainstream franchise that has officially had a "we want to reach as wide an audience as possible and that requires everyone needs to be able to at least beat the critical story path" design/balancing mentality since forever, where strategy beyond "hit with strong attacks, heal when you get low on health" isn't required anywhere but maybe optional end game content. FF has been "spectacle & ease of access over depth" since forever. That's partly why it's so popular. More casual gamers have been able to get into the games because there's not a huge barrier of entry to be able to play these games.

Besides, we've seen a grand total of, like, not much more than 30 seconds of combat from the remake. That's hardly enough to make any kind of definitive statetements about it's quality/depth or lack of. So far we know that there's:

-ground combat
-aerial combat
-dodge rolls
-blocking
-special attacks/limit breaks
-magic
-summons
-several playable characters who aren't copies of each other

On one hand that's not much but on the other that's plenty. If the encounter designs are good, the different character abilities are such that it's fun & useful to switch between characters, and some level of timing & skill is required to play well & is rewarded, simple doesn't mean bad/unfun. Like, the Ys series is one of the most fun action RPG franchises around and those are really simple games from a mechanics POV.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the clones are humans that had their minds wiped by mako poisoning and were injected with Jenova cells. The Remnants are actual pieces of Sephiroth.

My thought is if it's them they wouldn't be like in AC. They'd just be manifestations of Sephiroth's will with no autonomy. After Sephiroth is defeated they are left behind and develop into how they are in AC. The Sephiroth you chase around for most of the game is basically a remnant anyway.
I know that's the case in VII, but I could see them re-purposing their roles in the remake.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried all it might reach are the depths of the FFVX combat system.

I've removed all the bad voice acting from the trailer for you guys. The remaining sounds are similar to the sounds I made when I watched the trailer.

This is a trailer with quick cuts between scenes where people are shown being surprised or distress or grunting while doing physically laborous things & such. Do you not play video games because this is pretty standard stuff from Uncharted to Mario.

The voice acting isn't that bad. It's not Naughty Dog levels of quality but it's perfectly serviceable. This falls somewhere between FFXII (the high point of voice acting in FF games) and FFX (not the low point of FF VAs but it's noticeable it's the first voiced FF).

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
I didn't say that they couldn't have gone with a different direction & kept an improved version of the old school FF combat, but let's stop acting as if just the mere decision of turning this into an action RPG is somehow dumbing down FFVII's combat or that action RPGs don't require any skill or can't have any depth (even buttonsmashy ones).

Different people make different arguments. Some think action rpgs are inferior and lack depth. I'm not one of these people. However, S-E has yet to show they're capable of making an action rpg with the fun and depth of an Ys or Souls game. Nier Automata, their recent action rpg hit, was developed by Platinum.

Personally, I'm not coming at this from a point of finding arpg systems inferior. My issue is:

1. The original used ATB.
2. They don't have the best track record with ARPG systems.

I personally felt any FFVII remake should take the core of the original and just make it better. No random encounters, make them visible, FFX-2 style ATB with interrupts and stuff to make it flashy while still a command based rpg. Give it more depth and stuff like that like they did with FFIV's DS remake. Basically, I agree the original FFVII is too easy and my hope for a remake was taking that core fundamentals and just making it less braindead without losing the core of FFVII. Instead, they've decided to include strafing guns, combos, and all that other pizazz. I know preferences are preferences but I just don't want to do that in a Final Fantasy, especially in a remake to my first RPG.

I just wanted them to keep it grounded in what made FFVII work but make it better, but like with REmake. I just don't want action rpg combat and it's a total turn off. Keep your experimental stuff to new FF's. Remaking the most popular FF with an arpg system without providing vets that waited years an alternative just makes no sense to me.

Most game remakes work to improve the original, they don't try to be entirely different games. It's like Blizzard remaking Diablo 1, making it turn-based like it was originally planned to be, and the fans of the original are told "there's always the original stop complaining" when it's perfectly reasonable to expect the original Diablo combat but better.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Reminder that Sephiroth is still frozen in the Northern Crater. It's probably better spelled out elsewhere, but the Sephiroth you run into during the game is actually a ghost of sorts thanks to Jenova. Makes sense to clarify that more instead of him phasing in and out of the game during large portions of the game and Sephiroth needing Cloud to actually bring the Black Materia to him in the North Crater.

My jeesus I hope this game gets me to understand Sepiroth as a villain because this aspect never sat well with me

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm just hoping the game doesn't play it's cards too early. I really liked the way Sephiroph was dropped in at the end of the Midgar section. Real gravity of entrance.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
My jeesus I hope this game gets me to understand Sepiroth as a villain because this aspect never sat well with me

What do you not understand?

Jenova can control via her cells.

Sephiroth was infused with Jenova cells.

Sephiroth uses Jenova's own mind manipulation against herself to control her.

Sephiroth as a villain is fairly week anyways and honestly the less we see of him the better, but we won't. Shinra were far better villains than Sephiroth. The most iconic section of the game is the Midgar section and you don't even see Sephiroth in it (there's glimpses, like him killing the President, but that's it).