Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they will keep the more bizzare enemies.
I really want to see HD Aerith beating a giant house with a stick.

e6.jpg

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't Those who Fight be in the game. I expect a new rendition of pretty much every song with maybe the original Ost as a bonus similiar to how Re2 did it.

Speaking of battles. Ecpecting monsters to be visible and running around but will battles start if you get close or will you hit them/they hit you and we get a screen transition into battle
Because this isn't a turn based RPG. They could go like how KH does and have different battle themes for different areas fade in, or like XII and have no normal battle theme at all.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering how they're gonna handle the music. Will we get every track from the original? Plus new tracks?

Does the change in gameplay style from turn based to real time mean we don't get this?

:/

Don't see why not, heck this exact song got a cameo in one of FFXV's major fights, which was real time.

Last edited:

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
The only song that has to be in the remake.

I'll chop them off!
I'll rip them off!
I'll smash them!

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Here's a thought. What if they go the ffvx route and only give us like 5-6 summons? If they do, hope they give us some good ones from ffvii.
All of them from the OG better be in the Remake + new ones.

I really feel this will be like the 2002 Resident Evil Remake, where the team added the things they wished they could have in the original but couldn't, due to time and budget constraints, making an ultimate version of the game.
A new rumor, but takes this with big grain of salt, because he was told by someone that FF VII Remake will have two parts (part 1 will end in
Aeriths death
and this makes actually sense since new fans really want to know how it goes on) and is coming Early November 2019. The rest is in the comments. To be honest it's believable, but that Square Enix is that far in development, I mean in part 1 there are 10 towns/villages, the battle system ect. and to develop this in 4 years since 2015. Okay they often said that development is going smoothly but still its Square Enix.
That rumor sounds perfect. I've been wracking my brain in how they can split FF7 into three parts but there's no sensible way to do it.

Two parts on the other hand is perfect. Temple of the Ancients is a very natural ending point for part 1, it can be worked into a great final dungeon, sensible final boss, and a great cliffhanger to make you want part 2. End it right where disc 1 ends basically.
What if...WHAT IF...the Final Fantasy VII tech demo at E3 2005 wasn't just a tech demo? What if development has carried on with it from then up until now?

Surely Square-Enix knew fans would want a remake of FFVII and I'm sure with the outpouring of desire for one after seeing the footage in 2005, Square-Enix decided to create one - with the "tech demo" footage being a way to gauge if they should pursue or continue with it from that point.

That would put the total development time up until now at roughly 14 years - more than enough time to do everything they want to do with an ultimate version of FFVII.

If this is the case, discs 2 & 3 of the total package could be much further along than we think.

Just hopeful speculation, but what if...

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Does the weird feature placement and nose size on Aerith bug anyone else? I did a rough little edit to show what I mean.
Original:
D6Yb0mAV4AA2e_Q.jpg

Edit:
D6YbuFrUIAAvIqs.jpg

The size of the nose and the general feature placement in the game really don't work for me with how realistic the rendering is, gives me uncanny valley vibes.

May 26, 2018
Does the weird feature placement and nose size on Aerith bug anyone else? I did a rough little edit to show what I mean.
Original:
D6Yb0mAV4AA2e_Q.jpg

Edit:
D6YbuFrUIAAvIqs.jpg

The size of the nose and the general feature placement in the game really don't work for me with how realistic the rendering is, gives me uncanny valley vibes.

Every time I see a morph of her face, it just seems less Aerith-y. No offense.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Original:
D6Yb0mAV4AA2e_Q.jpg

Edit:
D6YbuFrUIAAvIqs.jpg

Nah, yo, they were always going to go with "stylized realism" rather "real realism". How straight and tiny her nose is compared to her big eyes, REALLY is a realistic take on Nomura's ORIGINAL art:

latest

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, yo, they were always going to go with "stylized realism" rather "real realism". How straight and tiny her nose is compared to her big eyes, REALLY is a realistic take on Nomura's ORIGINAL art:

latest
All of the girls have big eyes and small noses in the original art and the style really doesn't look like that art at all, feature placement and size especially. It just looks like the typical "realistic anime" style that a lot of Japanese games go for. Her having weird features isn't really a thing in any of the games she's in either.
My edit is still stylized, it's just that the way she is stylized in the game hits the uncanny valley hard for me.
If any thing her eyes being lower would make it closer to the art because she doesn't have a long face in that.

Last edited:

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
All of the girls have big eyes and small noses in the original art and the style really doesn't look like that art at all, feature placement and size especially. It just looks like the typical "realistic anime" style that a lot of Japanese games go for. Her having weird features isn't really a thing in any of the games she's in either.
My edit is still stylized, it's just that the way she is stylized in the game hits the uncanny valley hard for me.
If any thing her eyes being lower would make it closer to the art because she doesn't have a long face in that.
I'm sure Square-Enix will make some tweaks to things before release.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Prove me wrong Square. I just think the Midgar only or up to Junon predictions are more realistic. If the rumor is true the first full game would mean this whole list if they don't approach it differently or cut things. On top of this they want to flesh out everything.
{1} The Reactor #1 raid
{2} Sector 7: At the hideout
{3} The second raid: Reactor #5
{4} Church, Aerith's house
{5} Cross dressing at Wall Market, Honey Bee Inn, Don Corneo
{6} Sewers, Train Graveyard, and Pillar Assault
{7} Slums again
{8} Raiding Shinra HQ!
{9} Flashback at Kalm Town
{10} Chocobo Ranch, the Marshes, and the Mythril Mines
{11} Junon
{12} Costa Del Sol
{13} Mount Corel
{14} The Gold Saucer and Corel Prison
{15} Buggy
{16} Gongaga Village
{17} Cosmo Canyon & Cave of the Gi
{18} Nibelheim & Shinra Mansion
{19} Mount Nibel
{20} Rocket Town
{21} Tiny Bronco
{??} Wutai??
{??} The Wutai Pagoda??
{22} The Keystone and the Date
{23} The Temple of the Ancients
{24} Bone Village, The Sleeping Forest & City of the Ancients
Let that sink in.

1~8 are like 6, maybe 7 hours. I got to Shinra HQ in 4.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
According to this youtube video, a number of Japanese fans also hate how Aerith looks. Though their issues seem to be more about xenophobia and wanting her to look like a doll.
I dunno, that's probably like a handful of tweets with like 0 to 3 likes each. The Western fandom also has a few people on Twitter hating how Barret "doesn't look Black enough".
That exists on both sides really. Doesn't seem to really represent the majority at all given what I saw.
"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time"

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That's... kind of what I'm saying. Odds are we're likely not just gonna get straight up one new remix of the normal battle theme throughout the whole game.

It could be dynamic, differ between areas or there could simply be no normal battle theme at all like XII.
I mean I don't see a reason why we wouldn't have the classic battle theme or a remix.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
im in love with a video game character and his name is Kuraudo Sutoraifu

Oct 30, 2017
I dunno, that's probably like a handful of tweets with like 0 to 3 likes each. The Western fandom also has a few people on Twitter hating how Barret "doesn't look Black enough".

While I'm not entirely sure how you measure such a thing considering there is a wide range of characteristics and skin tones that make up black people, I would like him to be darker and have less European features which seems to be the issue for some people. The OG Barret was quite dark and some of his features in the remake slide a little more into being mixed. Even though I think he's still a representation, I think it's fair to just want to see a black character that isn't whitened at all because that's what they think people want.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
That's... kind of what I'm saying. Odds are we're likely not just gonna get straight up one new remix of the normal battle theme throughout the whole game.

It could be dynamic, differ between areas or there could simply be no normal battle theme at all like XII.
It'll probably be like FFXV where we have a battle theme start whenever you get close enough for enemies to aggro you (though hopefully a field theme the rest of the time and not total silence like FFXV was). Or have a battle theme playing the whole time when appropriate.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
According to this youtube video, a number of Japanese fans also hate how Aerith looks. Though their issues seem to be more about xenophobia and wanting her to look like a doll.

With all due respect to the japanese people, fuck the regressive otaku babies in the Japanese fandom. These types literally have no barometer for what a good design is. You see them all the time on 5ch and its absolutely nonsensical 99% of the time.

Aerith's design is and facial structure is 100% excellent. We dont need any garbage moeblobs out of this game, and a lot of the comments you see on this type of thing are usually just stealth Sony versus Nintendo console warrior posts anyway

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It is considerably larger than FFX. Basically, the first 6 FF games had a 2D setup where you would traverse a relatively simple and abstracted map of the world (with the character being the size of a town, and the implication being that journeys taking days were being sped up), with more detailed towns you could enter and interact with people and things, and combat being turn-based encounters. 7-9 continued this partly in 3D, with the towns being represented by pre-rendered, non-interactive CGI backgrounds and the characters, combat and world map being simple 3D.

FFX, on the other hand, was when they decided to move to a more 1:1 scale - abstract world maps and CGI backgrounds replaced by properly-sized 3D environments in a space you could run around in. The big drawback to this, of course, is that after 9 FF games that had the characters travelling all over the world, the scale in X and all future games was heavily stripped back. Compare the world maps of FFVII and FFX:

map1.png

final-fantasy-world-map-fresh-design-final-fantasy-x-world-map.jpg

So going for 1:1 visuals in FF games forced them to step back on the scope. Except now, they're remaking one of the games designed around the old style in the new style. They can't just shrink the scope because the story has the epic planet traversal hard-coded into its bones, and they can't just make the game because it's simply too massive. The only solution is multiple games, allowing for now development time and more revenue. Of course, it's very possible that after they're all released we'll get a massive next-gen exclusive combined version.

Thank you so much for this. Enjoyed and was quite surprised when reading this. Someone earlier mentioned doing travelling between the world in the same format as Lost Odyssey and while that remains an interesting proposition, depending on how much detail and gameplay hours devs want to put into each episode, it actually does look a monumental project when viewed through the lens of the fidelity that is on display.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
Fuck open world, FF was never an open world game, it just a small map you walk on to go from land mark to land mark, zones is the best thing for FF, not linear ones of course and they can be without loadings as well, also landmarks is what made the series soo memorable, not big empty grasslands.

That "Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII" though. Where's the GOAT overworld theme gonna play if there's no overworld? You're crazy if you don't think exploring a vast overworld didn't create a lot of memories for players back then. And a lot of that had to do with the music. There's a reason the improper looping of the theme in the rereleases is considered a game breaking bug to many.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
That "Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII" though. Where's the GOAT overworld theme gonna play if there's no overworld? You're crazy if you don't think exploring a vast overworld didn't create a lot of memories for players back then. And a lot of that had to do with the music. There's a reason the improper looping of the theme in the rereleases is considered a game breaking bug to many.

Yes i loved to explore the over world and i wouldn't call it "Vast" at all, it was not that big or anything, it was simple and cool at the time, but there is no way i call that an open world, The Legend of Zelda on NES for example was an open world game, not Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy was all about exploration of the detailed cities and dungeons, that was one of the strongest points in the series and most memorable, the reason why i'm against the open world in FF because i know for sure that they take a lot of effort to make and at the cost of others things such as cities and dungeons.

They should just do what Final Fantasy XII or at least Dragon Quest XI did to the map and make it more seamless and better.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
We
Yes i loved to explore the over world and i wouldn't call it "Vast" at all, it was not that big or anything, it was simple and cool at the time, but there is no way i call that an open world, The Legend of Zelda on NES for example was an open world game, not Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy was all about exploration of the detailed cities and dungeons, that was one of the strongest points in the series and most memorable, the reason why i'm against the open world in FF because i know for sure that they take a lot of effort to make and at the cost of others things such as cities and dungeons.

They should just do what Final Fantasy XII or at least Dragon Quest XI did to the map and make it more seamless and better.

I haven't played DQXI, but I have to disagree with the FFXII approach. And I know I'm triggering a lot of people when I say this, but the open world approach of FFXV is the closest any game in the series has come to the feeling of exploration that Final Fantasy had up until the PS2 era where other things took precedence. Gimme my fucking chocobos, man. How are newcomers gonna know the satisfaction of breeding a golden chocobo that can traverse the entire landscape without a world map to explore?

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
We

I haven't played DQXI, but I have to disagree with the FFXII approach. And I know I'm triggering a lot of people when I say this, but the open world approach of FFXV is the closest any game in the series has come to the feeling of exploration that Final Fantasy had up until the PS2 era where other things took precedence. Gimme my fucking chocobos, man. How are newcomers gonna know the satisfaction of breeding a golden chocobo that can traverse the entire landscape without a world map to explore?
FFXV's world was needlessly large, IMO. DQXI is like a cross between DQVIII and FFXII, as it still has "zones", but the zones are larger. DQXI also has a separate world map used for means of transportation (like ships). DQVIII is still my ideal "scaled world map" without an over-abundance of excess space.

Only reason FFXV had excess space was to make the world feel bigger than it was and to give you a reason to use the car, which was nothing more than a ill-used novelty. I would've gladly sacrificed the Regalia ENTIRELY if it meant tighter exploration that didn't seem like it would take forever to get from one location to the next.

Last edited:

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
We

XV approach will most likely again result in sacrifice of cities and landmarks in terms of great design and quantity and in my opinion they should be the main focus first and foremost, that's why i mentioned DQ11 and FF12, they had big tight well designed room to explore the world while at the same time they kept their strongest points which again are the dungeons and cities/towns.

open world design philosophy of games like The Witcher 3 and Elders Scrolls are very different from what FF meant to be, but who knows maybe one day they'll get them all right in a FF game, no sacrifices and all, but i doubt that will be anytime soon or even ever to happen, i just want them to focus on the good stuff mostly because i know they are struggling with going after the open world trend and it is not their strongest point, even their MMO that is FFXIV is using the zones, also i'm up for changes but they should be done well and not result of identity loss.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Hate to be negative on this amazing trailer but i don't like how Jessie and Biggs look, they look like they have a plastic skin, they looked more natural in the 2015 trailer.

Also i hope they don't screw up Sephiroth's hair, i noticed UE4 is not good with hair details and sometimes makes them look like a macaroni, for example the hair in SF5.

Last edited:

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Hate to be negative on this amazing trailer but i don't like how Jessie and Biggs look, they look like they have a plastic skin, they looked more natural in the 2015 trailer.

Also i hope they don't screw up Sephiroth's hair, i noticed UE4 is not good with hair details and sometimes makes them look like macaroni, good example is the hair in SF5.
I agree. I really preferred 2015 Jessie. She looked perfect. :(

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

Also i hope they don't screw up Sephiroth's hair, i noticed UE4 is not good with hair details and sometimes makes them look like a macaroni, for example the hair in SF5.

Not a fan of the new Jessie either

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I sort of get where the some of the Japanese fans are coming from regarding Aerith. It does feel quite different from the AC/CC stuff we have been seeing and her face looks a little bit too long.
However, I feel this is mainly seen during the screenshot. When I actually watch her in the trailer moving, I don't notice it as much as the screenshots. And after watching the trailer many times, I am used to the Aerith model here and I really love it. I think they struck a good balance between traditional Japanese doll-liked look and more realistic look.

5EBBtHE.jpg

The only character model that I prefer in 2015 is Jessie... but we didn't really see her face properly in 2015 trailer tbh.. only side shot and very small and quick shot so it's hard to tell.