• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
D6NNC4nWAAEbw6s.jpg:orig
I can't get over how good Cloud looks in this one. The hair makes a huge difference (and beyond a few shots where it looked blocky as fuck, I didn't really have a problem with 2015 Cloud's, but in retrospect it's pretty eh).

Nomura has managed to, for once, make a Cloud that's still a pretty anime boy in a realistic style without making him look like a feature-less mannequin.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
This means nothing. They've barely shown the game at all. That the announcement trailer, early gameplay/prototype trailer and now this first trailer that will seemingly begin the marketing cycle leading up to its released would focus on the initial hours of the game is nothing out of the ordinary and says nothing about the state of the game nor what content the first part will have. What we've seen still shows fairly linear environments. Unless they suddenly open up Midgar for some side-questing/monster hunting, Midgar ain't going to fill Part 1. Or it could if this is a five part game and they are, like, ~yearly releases. But if this is a trilogy or two parts, then Part 1 needs to be more than Midgar.
They seem to be expanding Midgar quite a bit, so I kinda expect part 1 to just be Midgar and end when the group escapes the city. Part 2 would pick up on their journey to Kalm and end after Cloud gives up the Black Materia, then Part 3 would have you start as Tifa and then go all the way to the end of the game.
XII zones are small and flat due to the limitations of the PS2, PS4 isn't gonna have that problem, although i don't know if the zones will be big enough to justify an airship. I'm kind of thinking that the Highwind will be an explorable area that you spend alot of time in, interact with NPCs, have a shop, sleep, etc but i think it will be used as a fast travel mechanic rather than an actual airship that literally traverses the world, but we'll see.
I would think the airship would fly over a custom map, not the actual playable areas.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
XII zones are small and flat due to the limitations of the PS2, PS4 isn't gonna have that problem, although i don't know if the zones will be big enough to justify an airship. I'm kind of thinking that the Highwind will be an explorable area that you spend alot of time in, interact with NPCs, have a shop, sleep, etc but i think it will be used as a fast travel mechanic rather than an actual airship that literally traverses the world, but we'll see.

Here's an idea:

Cloud boards the Highwind and walks over to a central control table inside where the ship's main controls are. The table that lets the player choose a location... by displaying a "holographic" overlay of the original FF7's overworld. You choose the location to land with that and then the actual Highwind moves to that location after a screen transition.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I am happy that a lot of people, friends included, will finally get a chance to play this.
That said, it's pretty sad that the characters and some moments are so famous now that there is no surprise to them. I remember being 10 years old when i first played the game and and couldn't wait to see what the famous Sephirot looks like, or how i was surprised when that girl that gives you a flower in the beginning of the game shows up in the church later.
I guess that is inevitable but you know, that's kind of a pity.

FFXII style zones is fine by me as long as they make the distances between locations feel like they are far apart.
Hopefully we also still get a controllable airship in whichever part that would come in.

FFXII styled maps (not split into smaller areas though!) + "chibi" world map for veichles should be a standard for all future FFs.

Oct 25, 2017
They seem to be expanding Midgar quite a bit, so I kinda expect part 1 to just be Midgar and end when the group escapes the city. Part 2 would pick up on their journey to Kalm and end after Cloud gives up the Black Materia, then Part 3 would have you start as Tifa and then go all the way to the end of the game.

I would think the airship would fly over a custom map, not the actual playable areas.

It's been said before but it seemingly still needs repeating, people greatly overstate how much of the game Midgar entails. Also nothing they showed suggests that they are expanding Midgar beyond recreating existing parts of the game with modern fidelity and in line with the gameplay space required for seamless action combat and that would also apply to everywhere else in the game.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

Entering the airship will allow you to freely fly over a 3d map and you can land at certain locations which will then have you land inside zones if the world is structured like FF12. Obviously some zones would only be reachable with the airship. The way DQ11 did it as a recent example

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

They will add connective tissue to make for a less loadingscreeny, more seamless experience, and maybe expand some locations to not feel so claustrophobic. But I don't think that is enough to make a full game out of Midgar. They'd need to do far more than just "expand it quite a bit" to make Midgar make any sense as a single release.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
just look at ffxiv for a recent example of zones
They're still big and worldly and explorable

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
No world map potentially means no controllable:
-Tiny Bronco
-Buggy
-Submarine
-Highwind

...which fucking sucks. Eliminating that legit fear of Emerald lurking in the depths, on the scale of the original, would be a tragedy.

Still holding out faint hope they say "screw expected trends" and we get a gorgeous, HD, Ni No Kuni style world map. :(

NnK2-Diorama-Map-Fami_02-07-17.jpg

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It's been said before but it seemingly still needs repeating, people greatly overstate how much of the game Midgar entails. Also nothing they showed suggests that they are expanding Midgar beyond recreating existing parts of the game with modern fidelity and in line with the gameplay space required for seamless action combat and that would also apply to everywhere else in the game.

Look at the scorpion boss fight shown in the trailer, it has explosions and it's destroying the area, that type of stuff is expensive and time consuming and you've got cloud hallucinating about Sephiroth, this doesn't strike me as a development team that's in a big hurry to leave Midgar.

-Tiny Bronco
-Buggy
-Submarine
-Highwind

...which fucking sucks. Eliminating that legit fear of Emerald lurking in the depths, on the scale of the original, would be a tragedy.

Still holding out faint hope they say "screw expected trends" and we get a gorgeous, HD, Ni No Kuni style world map. :(

NnK2-Diorama-Map-Fami_02-07-17.jpg

A buggy/Chocobo are no brainers even if there's no overworld map at all, they'd work in zones. Highwind/Tiny Bronco are huge question marks though.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be shocked if they don't allow us to upgrade the Buster Sword for it to be better or on par with endgame swords tbh.

I wonder how they're going to deal with weapons as a whole, what with the Materia physically being in their slots. Can't wait to see Hardedge. And the fucking baseball bat:
0330F142079F7199125AE9DDE61B82A3D5E33B06

Do you think they'll have different visible weapons? I can see them having the one weapon (so Cloud just has his Buster Sword), but having it be constantly upgradeable throughout the game.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I expect the world map to restricted to Highwind at least. Not sure about the other smaller vehicles......

Nov 29, 2018
I think it looks fantastic!
I cannot wait to play it.
I just wish it was a full release and not split in any way.
A bit of a buzz kill but I'm just happy I get to replay this classic in such majestic style.
Overall my hype for this game is through the roof!

Oct 27, 2017
Entering the airship will allow you to freely fly over a 3d map and you can land at certain locations which will then have you land inside zones if the world is structured like FF12. Obviously some zones would only be reachable with the airship. The way DQ11 did it as a recent example
What about chocobos and the Midgar Zolom section? Or the materia caves that can be reached only with golden chocobos? Actually, thinking about it they could have access to 3d areas seen from the world map, land there, explore the areas, reach the caves and be blocked by some footprints showing you need a special kind of chocobo just like monster tracks in DQ XI that lead you to unaccessible areas without a specific monster.

That still leaves the Midgar Zolom section though. How could they show it? Making the marsh a specific explorable area not on world map?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
If they can make the submarine section as big as KH3 Pirates size, I'll probably be satisfied. Obviously not 1:1 scale but enough for you to have pretty good exploration

Oct 25, 2017
Look at the scorpion boss fight shown in the trailer, it has explosions and it's destroying the area, that type of stuff is expensive and time consuming and you've got cloud hallucinating about Sephiroth, this doesn't strike me as a development team that's in a big hurry to leave Midgar.

But that is still just recreating something that exists from the original game, just in line with an ARPG combat system and current levels of fidelity. And you don't think other parts of the game are going to get similar treatment, like the boat from Junon to Costa del Sol or everything that goes down at Cosmo Canyon, etc.?

What they've shown is just indicative of what happens when you take a PS1 era JRPG with static pre-rendered backgrounds, text-box narrative and turn-based battles in separate area-themed arenas and re-imagine it as a modern, seamless 3D action RPG. It is not indicative of whether they have or have not expanded Midgar in any narrative sense and changed the scope of it in relation to the scope of the rest of the game.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017

I agree with this. Midgar is an iconic location but tbh I'd feel disappointed with a whole game set there. Its what, 10% of the whole OG game? And how much can it be expanded? I doubt you can explore the whole of it - Avalanche need to operate under the radar and need fake Ids just to get on the train.

I've long thought the cargo ship is an excellent stopping point. You've got Midgar. The Kalm flashback setting up the plot's back story. Chocobo farm for a bit of levity, a dungeon crawl through mythril mines, and then junon, welcoming ceremony, capped off with your first battle against Jenova and first sighting of Sephiroth. Sail off to the new continent.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I remember back in '96 when I first saw the Highwind render (and the world map hadn't been revealed yet) my pie-in-the-sky expectations for 32-bit, PlayStation power was that it would be this ginormous 1:1 world and you'd see towns down below in real scale like in the image, lol

hwind5.jpg

Like, I thought this was an actual in-game screen. I was a naive teen. 😂

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
-Tiny Bronco
-Buggy
-Submarine
-Highwind

I think you can have that even with zones
Like here
7f9f1fb8-5a41-43eb-a5jjkn3.gif

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
What about chocobos and the Midgar Zolom section? Or the materia caves that can be reached only with golden chocobos? Actually, thinking about it they could have access to 3d areas seen from the world map, land there, explore the areas, reach the caves and be blocked by some footprints showing you need a special kind of chocobo just like monster tracks in DQ XI that lead you to unaccessible areas without a specific monster.

That still leaves the Midgar Zolom section though. How could they show it? Making the marsh a specific explorable area not on world map?

Yup just make it a bigger wider zone and you see the Midgar Zolom moving around.
saltmarsh.jpgx

Chocobo isn't really a problem but for things like the buggy just have it restricted to bigger plains that connect other zones. Big relatively flat areas that aren't exactly filled with lots of details should be possible I think. They help make the world feel bigger but aren't super complicated to create

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think they'll have different visible weapons? I can see them having the one weapon (so Cloud just has his Buster Sword), but having it be constantly upgradeable throughout the game.

I would guess yes, They said they'd keep popular things from the original and seeing different weapon skins is definitely a good thing from the original game, and we've seen SE do this for their AAA JRPGs like XV/KH3, but during that trailer Cloud only has the buster sword which makes me think that maybe you're just upgrading it throughout the game. But maybe they just didn't want to spoil new weapons the way they didn't want to spoil Tifa.

I guess we'll find out next month.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I would guess yes, They said they'd keep popular things from the original and seeing different weapon skins is definitely a good thing from the original game, and we've seen SE do this for their AAA JRPGs like XV/KH3, but during that trailer Cloud only has the buster sword which makes me think that maybe you're just upgrading it throughout the game. But maybe they just didn't want to spoil new weapons the way they didn't want to spoil Tifa.

I guess we'll find out next month.
I think it could be mostly for promotion sake. That buster sword design is iconic so they show it for promotion material. KH3 did similar with kingdom key for some of the trailer cutscenes. They did show various keyblades for gameplay sake but that was because each keyblades have unique style to it.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
This means nothing. They've barely shown the game at all. That the announcement trailer, early gameplay/prototype trailer and now this first trailer that will seemingly begin the marketing cycle leading up to its released would focus on the initial hours of the game is nothing out of the ordinary and says nothing about the state of the game nor what content the first part will have. What we've seen still shows fairly linear environments. Unless they suddenly open up Midgar for some side-questing/monster hunting, Midgar ain't going to fill Part 1. Or it could if this is a five part game and they are, like, ~yearly releases. But if this is a trilogy or two parts, then Part 1 needs to be more than Midgar.

I'm inclined to agree with you and am thinking of making a thread on it. I'm playing through FFVII now, and am about to climb up to the HQ at about 4 hours in. "They'll expand Midgar" doesn't solve the problem of leaving too much content untouched.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So this is a new scene? perhaps cloud hallucinating?

Yes he's hallucinating, you also see him do this in the 2015 gameplay trailer. He has some sort of mental break when he's fighting Shinra Soldiers, and there's a shrina soldier that appears to recognize him, probably one of the guys who was with him and Zack during the nibelheim mission. This is the type of stuff they'll likely expand upon.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd be shocked if they don't allow us to upgrade the Buster Sword for it to be better or on par with endgame swords tbh.

I wonder how they're going to deal with weapons as a whole, what with the Materia physically being in their slots. Can't wait to see Hardedge. And the fucking baseball bat:
0330F142079F7199125AE9DDE61B82A3D5E33B06
Currently replaying ffvii on the Switch and I've had this damn baseball bat for so long. No weapons have been stronger so far and I hate how it has no materia slots. :(

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes he's hallucinating, you also see him do this in the 2015 gameplay trailer. He has some sort of mental break when he's fighting Shinra Soldiers, and there's a shrina soldier that appears to recognize him, probably one of the guys who was with him and Zack during the nibelheim mission. This is the type of stuff they'll likely expand upon.
Sweet, I love the sound of that.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Let's also remember the game isn't going to be a 1:1 so it's kinda pointless to compare.

Xmengrey

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
yeah, could also be because it is cross gen though. I think that is definitely a possibility as well. The likelihood of this being shown at the Xbox conference is unlikely I reckon. if it does, that will be a major fail on Sony's part. Particularly because it will sell much higher on ps consoles anyway and it is associated with the brand.
I don't think it's unlikely FFXIII was shown at Xbox E3 2008 so it's possible

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I know they had announced it would be released in parts and that each one is pretty much a full game. Does that mean it won't be open world? Will each new installment carry over the stuff you did previously? How many parts do they plan on releasing? I think releasing more than 3 is too much. I hope they answer these questions next month. I'm really hopeful this turns out great. The open world thing bothers me because XV has a decent big one but it felt like a lot of the locations were movie studio backlots with no sense of character or place. I'm fine if they go the chibi world map route when traveling but I know a lot of people would probably have a problem with that considering how big and expansive current open world games are. AC Odyssey and The Witcher 3 are huge. It would be cool if we got something similar but that's probably wishful thinking.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I know they had announced it would be released in parts and that each one is pretty much a full game. Does that mean it won't be open world? Will each new installment carry over the stuff you did previously? How many parts do they plan on releasing? I think releasing more than 3 is too much. I hope they answer these questions next month. I'm really hopeful this turns out great. The open world thing bothers me because XV has a decent big one but it felt like a lot of the locations were movie studio backlots with no sense of character or place. I'm fine if they go the chibi world map route when traveling but I know a lot of people would probably have a problem with that considering how big and expansive current open world games are. AC Odyssey and The Witcher 3 are huge. It would be cool if we got something similar but that's probably wishful thinking.
We don't know any of those details yet. Nomura did hint that he isn't really focused on doing open world so I doubt the game will be open world..

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
We don't know any of those details yet. Nomura did hint that he isn't really focused on doing open world so I doubt the game will be open world..
I think I'm fine with that. It hopefully is more focused that way. Instead of falling victim to the bad aspects of open world game design. I do hope it's not something like what they did with KH 3 and it's worlds. I wasn't a fan of that.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
That's what I'm curious about, yeah.

I think for sure, but I wouldn't be shocked if they reduced the number of weapons per character. And honestly, most of Cloud's sword are ugly as sin, so I wouldn't be too bothered. There's no doubt in my mind that they're going to make it possible for you to have the Buster Sword in the endgame without many (if at all) problems.
Currently replaying ffvii on the Switch and I've had this damn baseball bat for so long. No weapons have been stronger so far and I hate how it has no materia slots. :(
Lol, I feel you. I remember thinking the same.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
What are the chances of us being able to explore midgar and the different sectors?

I always wanted to do that ever since I was a kid. I remember being disappointed when the game moved out if midgar eventually onto other areas.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances of us being able to explore midgar and the different sectors?

I always wanted to do that ever since I was a kid. I remember being disappointed when the game moved out if midgar eventually onto other areas.

If they keep the word that each part will be as big as a FFXIII game, it will probably be a thing.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Hopefully multiple weapons. I think VII might have the highest number unique weapon designs per character of any 3D single player FF title outside of XII.

I hope the Nail Bat, Ultima Weapon, and Premium Heart are in, at least. The latter two got some really nice redesigns/upgrades in the first two Dissidia games.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL

It wont be GTA style, but it will be a nextgen version of the sectors we know. I imagine one area would be a significant amount of a few blocks of streets. The slums you can kind of get a view of in the initial cgi reveal trailer from 2015.. Something like FFXII but on steroids, but not quite GTA obviously. The subway system or train yard will probably be a bit complex. Shinra building will probably feel huge. Getting keycards, going through air vents in a complex system,, going up all those levels and seeing what goes on. I am imagining a mix of FFVII maps meeting FFXII but nextgen feeling in size.

Oct 25, 2017

That's kinda the point of the nail bat, you are trading the flexibility of materia slots for raw damage.

I could see the weapon system being something like KH3, where different weapons have different effects, maybe even have different special attacks tied to each weapon. Also some sort of upgrade system could work well for carrying equipment over between games. So in game 1 the max upgrade level is +5 and the materials for the higher levels (+4/+5) are quite rare. Then in game 2 the max level increases to +10, they throw the +4/+5 upgrade materials at you in abundance so people can quickly get their equipment on par and the rarer stuff is for the new highest tier. And so on across however many games it ends up being.