• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019
Indeed, are you asking in terms of gameplay or story?

For the main party, we no longer get a debate over who the party leader is. Barret seems to remain in charge, providing the pep. Tifa teaches Aerith to hitchike though Barret renders the lesson amusingly unnecessary. They get a ride off the Chocobo Farm's Choco Bill. In his brief cameo, Bill doesn't disclose anything of note. Just a very brief response to Barrett's annoyance about riding with chocobos. He leaves them down the road from Kalm, which is seen in the distance.

All of it is done within a CGI cutscene.

Last edited:

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Pride and joy? Is there supposed to be a new fight against it in this DLC?

It was really underwhelming in the base game.
This is why I'm shocked no ones mentioned it yet. It's in the InterMission trophy list. Pride and Joy 0.5. But it could be a fight for Yuffie or Cloud and Co in the main game. No one seems to care, they just want to ship Zack and Cissnei

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
In the scene with Zack, i think the church is not our church. If you look closer you see the 5 pointed cross in the background is a red color, in our church it is like a white/grey color. Floor looks less fucked too.

hmm

Oct 31, 2017
I'm gonna be honest I'll be annoyed if Part 2 ends in Nibelheim simply because the stretch from Mythril Mines to Nibelheim isn't particularly exciting. My favorite stuff from the game all comes after Rocket Town

I'm sure I'll love it regardless and they'll find some way to make it entertaining (though I'm still going to expect new material to not be very well executed or written tbh), but, like.... not everything needs to be expanded to an insane degree IMO. Like I don't need the Midgardsormr fight to have an hour-long build up and a bunch of phases and flashy cutscenes to go along with it but it probably will

Like just going off of base FFVII there's a shitload of stuff to cover and they still want to implement timeline and compilation stuff on top of it all and they're also for sure going to have to add stuff for Vincent who will obviously be mandatory this time around

I have no idea how on earth they plan on finishing this project in less than 7 years from now at this rate

Karsha

May 1, 2020
I always thought of the Zack situation as something from "Your name", they both exist in the same timeline just different times and that Cloud is our Cloud, later in the plot we might face an older Zack. The church scene might be in the past for what we know, our present modified Zack's past too (since he is alive)

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be honest I'll be annoyed if Part 2 ends in Nibelheim simply because the stretch from Mythril Mines to Nibelheim isn't particularly exciting. My favorite stuff from the game all comes after Rocket Town

I'm sure I'll love it regardless and they'll find some way to make it entertaining (though I'm still going to expect new material to not be very well executed or written tbh), but, like.... not everything needs to be expanded to an insane degree IMO. Like I don't need the Midgardsormr fight to have an hour-long build up and a bunch of phases and flashy cutscenes to go along with it but it probably will

Like just going off of base FFVII there's a shitload of stuff to cover and they still want to implement timeline and compilation stuff on top of it all and they're also for sure going to have to add stuff for Vincent who will obviously be mandatory this time around

I have no idea how on earth they plan on finishing this project in less than 7 years from now at this rate
I still think people are taking this adaptation at face value. Fate has been changed, a lot more things could happen until you reach Nibelheim. Same if they want to end it at City of the Ancients or North Crater 1st visit, they also have the freedom to move locations around and add new ways you reach there.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Don't spoilers, just yes or no:

I've read someone say that they changed the end of the base game, is this true?

And, is it worthy or significant?

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Hey does anyone know if I should even bother playing the PS4 version of FF7 remake that we received on PS plus? I haven't played any of FF7:R at all. So is it best to just pick this game up and start here?

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
Hey does anyone know if I should even bother playing the PS4 version of FF7 remake that we received on PS plus? I haven't played any of FF7:R at all. So is it best to just pick this game up and start here?
Its basically the same game, but prettier. You can play the whole game on ps4 if you're short on cash, then pick the intergrade ps5, transfer the save and play the DLC.

If you have the money and is willing to play know on ps5, just do it =)

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019
I know Square doesn't care too much about consistency but... Is that the Sector 7 plate in the Zack scene?
Could it be Sector 3's plate? Maybe, if the front of the church is facing west and the camera is pointing eastward, towards the farm. Sector 6 and 7 would be behind the camera. The bridge for Reactor 5 is directly above the church, which would be the divide between Sector 4 & 5. The divide between sector 3 & 4 is the one at the top of the frame, with plate 4 being just out-of-shot. The Sector 2/3 divide is on the left-edge of the frame.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
A game where you go from Kalm to Nibelheim and is mostly the same as the original game would be mindlessly boring, they won't do it that way I think. There's barely a story there to adapt.

Anyway it's not likely that this dev team will be putting lots of work into massive open spaces, maybe one obligatory open area around the chocobo farm so you can actually use the birds to do stuff. Which then feeds into the Gold Saucer minigame. That's the extent of what I expect from open world stuff in Part 2, and the game will find a way to include the black materia/temple of ancients part into the story even if it means truncating some elements or moving them around.

I mean they have to move some stuff around or change things anyway cause Deepground is part of the story now, maybe even major antagonists for part 2.

They do need IMO to break the game out from just being about fighting things in small rooms, but I also don't think they will have a massive departure here design wise. I mean at the very least the rest of the game won't have the same issue as Midgar with low resolution skyboxes, besides Junon it's just going to be a normal looking sky (until the meteor thing happens).

Really what it needs more than an 'open world' IMO is its own version of triple triad/blitzball (the racing minigame)

Anyway

This is the full Weiss fight with a special appearance by someone to delight all fans of Dirge of Cerberus

There's no question that this dude is coming back for part 2, likely for Vincent's story (but I guess DoC will get retconned because of that)

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
A game where you go from Kalm to Nibelheim and is mostly the same as the original game would be mindlessly boring, they won't do it that way I think. There's barely a story there to adapt.

Anyway it's not likely that this dev team will be putting lots of work into massive open spaces, maybe one obligatory open area around the chocobo farm so you can actually use the birds to do stuff. Which then feeds into the Gold Saucer minigame. That's the extent of what I expect from open world stuff in Part 2, and the game will find a way to include the black materia/temple of ancients part into the story even if it means truncating some elements or moving them around.

I mean they have to move some stuff around or change things anyway cause Deepground is part of the story now, maybe even major antagonists for part 2.

They do need IMO to break the game out from just being about fighting things in small rooms, but I also don't think they will have a massive departure here design wise. I mean at the very least the rest of the game won't have the same issue as Midgar with low resolution skyboxes, besides Junon it's just going to be a normal looking sky (until the meteor thing happens).

Really what it needs more than an 'open world' IMO is its own version of triple triad/blitzball (the racing minigame)

Anyway

This is the full Weiss fight with a special appearance by someone to delight all fans of Dirge of Cerberus

There's no question that this dude is coming back for part 2, likely for Vincent's story (but I guess DoC will get retconned because of that)

Ah so no Pride and Joy mk 0.5. So either that's in Yuffie's episode, or it unlocks for competing Yuffie's episode on hard.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Not gonna lie, I actually kinda enjoyed seeing Nero and Weiss again. I do think that there's a place for Deep ground/Tsviets as this Shinra black ops team that will pop up from time to time. I'm not against the idea of giving this another shot, I just hope the devs know they're sorta on thin ice here considering how most fans barely even acknowledge Dirge of Cerberus.

I'm way more worried about Zack going forward to be honest, his little scene at the end was cute, but I have literally no clue as to what's going on there and it's making me uneasy. It sure looks like he's in the current timeline now... And even if he's not, how do you even implement that into the overall narrative going forward?

That being said, great piece of DLC, loved Yuffie's antics and can't wait to see more of her in the next game.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"see you in deep ground"
mvL8gU5.gif

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Yep. Original FFVII wasn't open world either. It was a linear game with a world map, which is very very different.

Agreed. FF7's worldmap is just a 3d-version of the 8-bit and 16-bit era worldmaps: basically an interactive area select (and depending on the franchise, some random encounters). That said; it does help giving the world a sense of scale and it lends itself to some nice secrets and hidden places. Given the original FF7s total lack of respect for scale between it settings; it worked out nicely. I believe we might see some more 'open' areas in FF7R Part 2 and so on, but making a full-on open world makes no sense at all (since that would need to be enormous given the scale they set with Midgar; not to mention filling it with worthwile content).

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Agreed. FF7's worldmap is just a 3d-version of the 8-bit and 16-bit era worldmaps: basically an interactive area select (and depending on the franchise, some random encounters). That said; it does help giving the world a sense of scale and it lends itself to some nice secrets and hidden places. Given the original FF7s total lack of respect for scale between it settings; it worked out nicely. I believe we might see some more 'open' areas in FF7R Part 2 and so on, but making a full-on open world makes no sense at all (since that would need to be enormous given the scale they set with Midgar; not to mention filling it with worthwile content).
This is key! I hope they find a way to give the game a sense of scale. I'm playing DQXI right now, and that world feels big! Many interconected areas and a world map help a lot

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I loved how Square Enix was adapting its level design to the SSD. But the way the DLC just ends, serving literally no purpose other than meaningless fanservice and the Zack scene...

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Man that new ending was awesome.

...until Zack showed up, I still hate whatever they're doing with him.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it.
I'm not very good at the game right now, I might wait for a some people to give some tips before attempting hard mode.

Here are my thoughts.

-Yuffie is very fun to play, even if I'm currently pretty bad at the game. I'll practice more until I can have a better understanding of her moveset.

-Fort Condor is quite fun, although chaotic. Maybe I don't understand the game properly.

-Scarlet... I hate her, and that's good.

- Deepground was actually alright ! A bit cringe at time but overall I like it.

-That ending cutscene... WOW

-Zack ? I hope you know what you're doing Square. I'm very interested, but you have to stick the landing.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Yuffie was awesome and can't wait for more of her. Solon wasn't bad and it was sad at the end when he died.
The Deepground stuff was fucking dumb. I hope a lot of that doesn't bleed over into Part 2.
I was pleasantly surprised at the extra scenes at the end with main crew. I love them so much and can't wait for the next one!

Aerith's stomach in knots...she knows deep down what's going to happen to her soon...

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
This is where the contention stems from, and I totally get it -- but there's something about the four-game approach with Aerith dropping midway through the third that just kind of speaks to me. The third game going from Mount Nibel to the Whirlwind Maze, with mandatory Wutai stuff in-between, is like. THE DREAM.

The game's tone would change so dramatically at City of the Ancients.
That feels like a lot to fit in though. We'd have to go through the Kalm area with the mines, farm, marsh, Junon which should be pretty big, Correl prison, the Golden Saucer, Nibelheim, probably Wutai, Rocket Town, and then the Temple of Ancients & City of Ancients. That's a lot to fit in one game. And I believe the writers have said they want to visit all the locations from the OG and I'm not even including potential playable Zack sections. That seems like way too much for one part

I could see what you say happening in the game after that though
I dunno. People greatly overestimate the amount of content left for Disc 1. If they remade the entire remaining content of Disc 1 as linear hubs this is what we get using the original map as a basis.
suNmfqI.jpg

I can see them adding a few places like Healin Lodge and maybe some extra small settlements and dungeons for sidequest purposes, but there's no reason they couldn't make this area play able at a decent scale.

In terms of chapters you basically have:
  1. Kalm to Mythril Cave
  2. Junon.
  3. Costa Del Sol to North Correl
  4. Gold Saucer
  5. Cosmo Canyon
  6. Nibelheim and Mt Nibel
  7. Rocket Town
  8. Gold Saucer Revisited
  9. Temple of the Ancients
  10. City of the Ancients
Gongaga was option in the original but they'll probably make it mandatory

Who? I've skimmed through the video but I don't want get spoiled on the fight mechanics lol

After you defeat Weiss it very strongly implies that Weiss was actually Hojo testing out uploading his mind to VR and using Weiss' form.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
if they don't release

I dunno. People greatly overestimate the amount of content left for Disc 1. If they remade the entire remaining content of Disc 1 as linear hubs this is what we get using the original map as a basis.
suNmfqI.jpg

I can see them adding a few places like Healin Lodge and maybe some extra small settlements and dungeons for sidequest purposes, but there's no reason they couldn't make this area play able at a decent scale.

1. Kalm to Mythril Cave
  2. Junon.
  4. Gold Saucer
  5. Cosmo Canyon
  7. Rocket Town
  8. Gold Saucer Revisited
  10. City of the Ancients

After you defeat Weiss it very strongly implies that Weiss was actually Hojo testing out uploading his mind to VR and using Weiss' form.

ok but based off of Remake and Intergrade, there's a lot of expansion going on. Midgardsormr's gonna be a huge flashy 3 part boss fight, Junon's gonna be probably bigger and more confusing than it already was, the cargo ship will probably end up being a whole ass chapter/dungeon with a flashy Jenova boss, Gold Saucer is FOR SURE going to be big (and based on KH3 Nomura loves roller coasters lol), etc. etc.

Ugh

I mean I love the expanding but also pls this is torture :-(

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
never mind, oh thank god I read the scene wrong.

Will say they captured Weiss's movement and fighting style from Dirge pretty well, and he is crazy hard at least for me.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
suNmfqI.jpg

1. Kalm to Mythril Cave
  2. Junon.
  4. Gold Saucer
  5. Cosmo Canyon
  7. Rocket Town
  8. Gold Saucer Revisited
  10. City of the Ancients

Eh based on the pacing, that would be extremely quick with the locations just being set dressing which goes against them wanting to really recreate those locations. For example, I assume the Kalm flashback will be one chapter itself serving as combat tutorial, the farm and the marsh will be a chapter, the cave will be a chapter with an increase in focus on the Turks, Junon will be at least two with Cloud riding the dolphin being a whole set piece and pretending to be Shinra soldiers at the top. Likewise, I think there will be expansion throughout all these locations. Wutai is also being set up to be an important factor this time around and a bigger part of the story than just a set piece where Cloud and co chase Yuffie around while bantering with Reno and fighting Corneo

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Eh based on the pacing, that would be extremely quick with the locations just being set dressing which goes against them wanting to really recreate those locations. For example, I assume the Kalm flashback will be one chapter itself serving as combat tutorial, the farm and the marsh will be a chapter, the cave will be a chapter with an increase in focus on the Turks, Junon will be at least two with Cloud riding the dolphin being a whole set piece and pretending to be Shinra soldiers at the top. Likewise, I think there will be expansion throughout all these locations. Wutai is also being set up to be an important factor this time around and a bigger part of the story than just a set piece where Cloud and co chase Yuffie around while bantering with Reno and fighting Corneo
Even with extra locations and plotbeats I don't think the world and story in that segment would be too huge.

Wutai would make the most sense after Sephiroth summons meteor. The way Yuffie is characterized so far I think they'll replace the entire "Yuffie steals the party's materia and gets kidnapped by a sexual predator" quest with Wutai being used as a scapegoat. Junon's cannon was built to shoot Wutai, after all. That's the part of the game that needs fleshing out the most, and sticking Wutai in earlier would be a pace killer. They can also give Wutai more relevance by giving it Fort Condor's huge materia.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Even with extra locations and plotbeats I don't think the world and story in that segment would be too huge.

Wutai would make the most sense after Sephiroth summons meteor. The way Yuffie is characterized so far I think they'll replace the entire "Yuffie steals the party's materia and gets kidnapped by a sexual predator" quest with Wutai being used as a scapegoat. Junon's cannon was built to shoot Wutai, after all. That's the part of the game that needs fleshing out the most, and sticking Wutai in earlier would be a pace killer. They can also give Wutai more relevance by giving it Fort Condor's huge materia.
I think relocating the Keystone to Wutai would give it relevance and allow the entire party to visit prior to Aerith's death.* I think much of the stuff from the second Golden Saucer visit could be consolidated into the first. In this altered timeline the Keystone could be recontextualized as a Wutai treasure that stayed in Wutai.

Asterisk: (I mean how else are we going to see Aerith in a kimono in the newly-added cherry blossom festival fan service)

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
wowowow at that extended CG ending with the Avalanche crew. That's way more than I expected. Thought for sure it was over after the first fade to black, but the feast continued.

I love watching these characters do goofy shit. Hope the road trip hijinks of that cutscene extends into part two...I need part two right now :l

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
wowowow at that extended CG ending with the Avalanche crew. That's way more than I expected. Thought for sure it was over after the first fade to black, but the feast continued.

I love watching these characters do goofy shit. Hope the road trip hijinks of that cutscene extends into part two...I need part two right now :l
I would gladly take a two-hour movie in this style (or rendered in-game) that simply follows the gang going on a road trip enjoying each other's company. Good vibes, man!

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I loved how Square Enix was adapting its level design to the SSD. But the way the DLC just ends, serving literally no purpose other than meaningless fanservice and the Zack scene...
I think it'll serve a purpose for sure. You can bet Yuffie is gonna want to avenge Sonon and kill Nero the first chance she gets, which is honestly some much needed character development because I found her incredibly bland in the original game, she was basically just along for the ride. I'm glad to see her getting the spotlight this early on. I also think Sonon might come back somehow, who knows what Nero is up to with him, they might experiment on him within Deepground or something. At this point there's no way of telling how much they'll expand on these events in future games, but it sure looks Deepground will have a part to play going forward.

The Zack scene though... Yeah, I'm honestly not a big fan of that either (I didn't like the implications of the original reveal either so...)

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So, did anyone mention the flowers at the church in the Zack scene? There are yellow and white flowers. There are no white flowers in the normal universe (assuming this is a thing). Could this be an oversight, or maybe another clue like the different Stamp?

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, did anyone mention the flowers at the church in the Zack scene? There are yellow and white flowers. There are no white flowers in the normal universe (assuming this is a thing). Could this be an oversight, or maybe another clue like the different Stamp?
There are always white and yellow flowers there