Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If retail is seeing a huge boost then I can't imagine what the upsurge is like with PSN pre-orders. Unless that's been considered in the tweet.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Of course.. we are talking here about FFVII, it's one of the most iconic well respected games in the industry history, and the Remake had decade and half almost of hype building ( since PS3 tech demo ) and they are actually NAILING the remake front of our eyes.

I'm expecting it to exceed many expectations critically and sales wise.
yeah I mean we all knew it was going to sell well. I think the interesting thing from Benji is how much it went up after the demo... shows how much positive impact the demo had. He said the amount of increase after a demo is almost unprecedented.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if this is because of the demo. I swear before the demo my local retailers still had deluxe editions, then suddenly there were no more allocations and I'm actually really miffed about it because I hadn't pre-ordered yet

twitter.com

Benji-Sales on Twitter

“Just a heads up Final Fantasy VII Remake Pre-Orders have completely EXPLODED Launch is going to be huge 😱”
[/QUOTE
Yeah I was tracking amazon pre orders before the demo and the game was quite low but a few days after the demo released it shot up the charts just behind animal crossing and it's still there.

Wouldn't surprise me if Sony has already locked down Part 2 year exclusive for PS5.

Oct 30, 2017
shows how much positive impact the demo had. He said the amount of increase after a demo is almost unprecedented.
SE really nailed everything right with the game and whatever doubts many gamers had it vanished when they tried the demo themselves.

Hope more companies who are confidence in their projects follow the same footsteps... a positive feedback from the demo can really do wonders to the game word of mouth and trust.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Though I do remember hearing that KH3 was fully complete weirdly early, like a solid 2 months before release. It was delayed to the end of January for other reasons.
It went gold in late november which means the earliest they could have gotten it on shelves would have been like the week before Christmas, they pushed it to end of january cause it's a better time for game sales.

As for review embargo, the earliest you'll see reviews will be the 6th or 7th of April. most likely it'll be the day before the game is out in japan though. i cant remember the last time square had a review embargo that lifted more than a day out from a release.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
How do you know? I guess you read japanese?
It was mentioned when this first aired.

Also that VVV logo in the whiteboard behind Cloud model is Visual Works logo..

Also this thing was first shown off back in 2018 via Visual Work's slide, and we got to see it in motion last month.
DhqXZnaUcAM4yWm

DhqXcpJUEAAArb1

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
SE really nailed everything right with the game and whatever doubts many gamers had it vanished when they tried the demo themselves.

Hope more companies who are confidence in their projects follow the same footsteps... a positive feedback from the demo can really do wonders to the game word of mouth and trust.
It's honestly mind-boggling to me just how fucking right they got it.

Like, for years I was saying that I didn't even want an FF7 remake because I didn't trust modern Square to do it justice. Then they announced it and as hyped as I was I still had my doubts. Then we heard that CC2 was handling development, and that first gameplay trailer they put out did not inspire confidence. Then literal years of radio silence. It seemed all my fears were vindicated.

If you'd told me a year ago that the remake would be in the position that it is now I would have laughed in your face.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if this'll have the scene with Reeve's parents at the Honey Bee Inn.

(Seriously I'm replaying FFVII and never realized those were his parents. That explains the Cait Sith doll but seriously WTF.)

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait for them to try and explain Caith Sith. I'm still not sure how Reeves does it. I watched Minnmax play Dirge of Cerberus and that only confused me more..
Especially this scene (starts at 40:50)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for them to try and explain Caith Sith. I'm still not sure how Reeves does it. I watched Minnmax play Dirge of Cerberus and that only confused me more..

Apparently he can bring inanimate objects to life.

No seriously.
https://thelifestream.net/lifestream-projects/translations/727/reeve-tuesti-character-profile-p-88/

By utilizing his special ability, "Inspire", he is able to cause inorganic things to emit life; his "child", the "cat"-shaped robot, Cait Sith can be controlled from a great distance.

Cait's accent is also based on his parents so I guess there's a Scotland equivalent on Gaia.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

I've always assumed Cait Sith is somewhat autonomous but Reeve can freely assume control.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017

It's probably just on some sort of autopilot with some following AI. In fact, I'm sure Reeve has all kinds of algorithms and heuristics to smooth over input and keep it behaving 'naturally', especially if the connection is occasionally delayed or disrupted. We don't really know how much manual control he has or if he's just sending general directives to a sophisticated AI. I will also be interested to see how they flesh this out in the future.

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
Cait's accent is also based on his parents so I guess there's a Scotland equivalent on Gaia.

In Japanese Cait speaks in the Kansai dialect (rural JP) while Reeve speaks standard. It's one of the bigger things that got lost in translation. They *tried* to give Cait a Southern US accent at some point in FFVII to reflect this, but it was ridiculously inconsistent because his lines were standard English for the vast majority of the game. He says "y'all" a few times and "dontcha worry none" on the Highwind.

I'm wondering if they'll double down on Cait's Scottish accent, and then if we'll hear Reeve's parents speaking in Scottish accents in the Honey Bee Inn if they're there. I'm Scottish myself so I think it would be interesting to hear. Suppose we're not going to see Cait for a while, but he could make a cameo appearance in the Shinra building.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't cait sith also get crushed in the temple?

I have a theory.

Cait Sith will NEVER be playable.

He'll get introduced with the white cat, but ditches it and rides on Red 13 for the rest of the remake.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Japanese Cait speaks in the Kansai dialect (rural JP) while Reeve speaks standard. It's one of the bigger things that got lost in translation. They *tried* to give Cait a Southern US accent at some point in FFVII to reflect this, but it was ridiculously inconsistent because his lines were standard English for the vast majority of the game. He says "y'all" a few times and "dontcha worry none" on the Highwind.

I'm wondering if they'll double down on Cait's Scottish accent, and then if we'll hear Reeve's parents speaking in Scottish accents in the Honey Bee Inn if they're there. I'm Scottish myself so I think it would be interesting to hear. Suppose we're not going to see Cait for a while, but he could make a cameo appearance in the Shinra building.
Huh interesting to know.

Yeah I'm really curious how they'll handle Cait Sith as he was always one of the odder parts of the game.

I'm also curious if they'll have the party start referring to Red as Nanaki after they find out that's his name.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen a single nanosecond of Rufus.
They've shown every person from midgar so far except for Rufus....
We did see his visual on one of the merchandise recently, but that's about it.
I do think they will reveal him this month... maybe a new trailer or at least screenshot.
They are yet to update Tseng's render officially, so I expect him to come with Rufus..

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they'll double down on Reeve's obvious cat fetish. He made a cat robot. All of the playgrounds he designed are cat themed. One of his limit breaks involves a catgirl pinup.

TRSkDdF.jpg

Imagine walking into Reeve's hidden office at Shinra HQ and it's wall-to-wall catgirl figurines and such.

Yeah, Cait Sith's Japanese accent is to emphasize that Reeve is a man of humble beginnings who actually cares about the people.

This translation of Ultimania says Reeve's original accent was Kansai, so I guess Cait Sith is like him dropping his "fake" accent. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fz_rLpPOG8

"A remote controlled stuffed cat. Reeve, head of the Shinra Company's Urban Development Department, manufactured him for such purposes as scouting out intelligence and spying. Because Reeve is the one operating him, he speaks with the unique accent of Reeve's original Kansai dialect. He's powerless and limited when alone, so he often rides on the fat, stuffed toy moogle during times of action. "

A rural accent would work. It doesn't necessarily have to be Southern but he could sound like a farmer. Reeve is basically a farm boy who learned to drop his rural accent to sound more "professional" and get a job at Shinra. I live in California and my maternal grandparents were Okies.

Last edited:

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm someone who has only dabbled a little bit with the original FFVII. Should I take this time to play it or should I play through Crisis Core instead?

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I wish these themes were included when ordering the 1st class edition - you know, the one that's costing over 300 bucks.

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully they'll all be available for purchase a few months after or something. Does suck going for the 1st class edition this stuff isn't included. But that's retailer incentives for you

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
Finally played last night. Originally I didn't know if I wanted to play it as FFVII give me so much nostalgia and I didnt want to ruin that. First impressions are this is very impressive and amazing. The graphic and the audio are magnificent. I absolutely loved the combat and hearing Barret bitch and yell at Cloud was great. One thing I didn't get is why the first boss is so long. It seemed very drawn out. Was it meant to be that way?

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Finally played last night. Originally I didn't know if I wanted to play it as FFVII give me so much nostalgia and I didnt want to ruin that. First impressions are this is very impressive and amazing. The graphic and the audio are magnificent. I absolutely loved the combat and hearing Barret bitch and yell at Cloud was great. One thing I didn't get is why the first boss is so long. It seemed very drawn out. Was it meant to be that way?

It goes by much faster when you get a better grasp of the gameplay. There's lots of videos out there of people beating the Scorpion in pretty much no time at all. But bosses overall seems to take a bit longer and be much more of a spectacle overall.

Last edited:

BusterSword

May 10, 2019
Daytona Beach, FL
One thing I didn't get is why the first boss is so long. It seemed very drawn out. Was it meant to be that way?
It's long for everyone the first play through. Once you learn to use the combat mechanics properly, it should only be about a 2 and a half to 3 minute boss fight. I've played the demo over 100 times through and I'm still learning better strats everyday.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm someone who has only dabbled a little bit with the original FFVII. Should I take this time to play it or should I play through Crisis Core instead?
Crisis Core is a terrible game all around; don't waste your time. Play the original game if you want, it's still good.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
Play the original. It's still worth it, as AuthenticM says. One thing I'd recommend... If you're playing on PS4/Switch/Xbox One, don't use the cheat that speeds up the game. That said, go ahead and use the other built-in cheats if you really want to cheese the battles. But I've found the pacing/impact of the game feels better if you try the normal play speed--at least at first. If you can't take it, then obviously do what you've gotta do.

Crisis Core, ehhhhh. You may like it. Lots do. But play the original first.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Crisis Core is a terrible game all around; don't waste your time. Play the original game if you want, it's still good.
Play the original. It's still worth it, as AuthenticM says. One thing I'd recommend... If you're playing on PS4/Switch/Xbox One, don't use the cheat that speeds up the game. That said, go ahead and use the other built-in cheats if you really want to cheese the battles. But I've found the pacing/impact of the game feels better if you try the normal play speed--at least at first. If you can't take it, then obviously do what you've gotta do.

Crisis Core, ehhhhh. You may like it. Lots do. But play the original first.
Do you think playing through the original will detract from or enhance my experience with the remake? I already know about the major spoilers that have been out there for years. It seems that this remake is designed with people who have already played the original in mind, so I'm guessing there will still be plenty of new stuff and nods to old fans?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think playing through the original will detract from or enhance my experience with the remake? I already know about the major spoilers that have been out there for years. It seems that this remake is designed with people who have already played the original in mind, so I'm guessing there will still be plenty of new stuff and nods to old fans?
Not at all. I think that playing the original would make the remake an even better experience.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I actually only played the original recently on a whim despite saying I was going to wait for the remake. Not only do I think it's going to enhance my appreciation because they're likely going to add a lot of call forwards in the story that I'll actually get, but the original actually ended up becoming one of my favorite games of all time. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.