JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I knew this was a 90+ after watching the first real trailer. Remake had the foundation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"Based on the 1 hour demo I played, I don't agree with the reviewers who have been playing the actual game for 50+ hours" lmao

I mean if your primary issue is with the combat, which is something we literally have two demos worth of experience with, I don't think "more game" is going to solve those issues. I just have elemental, structural issues with the way this team approaches encounter and combat design and based on my experience with the demo from last night, they did not solve or provide salves for any of my pain points with the original game, which is disappointing to me as someone who gets overwhelmed and stressed very easily and is prone to anxiety attacks during stressful encounters.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Does everyone have collective amnesia or something? FF7 Remake reviewed basically the same as this, including comments about the ending lol, why are people surprised?

Aeroucn

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit I was expecting a score of mid 80s considering after all these years I keep reading people crying about the changes they made in Remake (it's my favorite FF since XII) so I'm glad reviewer's loved it.

This is the only game I've pre-ordered since Elden Ring can't wait to play it.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Was not expecting a 90+ holy crap.

If it holds, many congrats to the team.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, since it's the truth.
Yeah, it was totally because this game is a sequel that they could afford to put in meaningful side content and mini-games in XVI, not Yoshi P's decision that the story was too serious for Clive to have some fun and have the player do something else than combat for 50 hours.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, it's the writing and the game design that makes it not make sense to me. I'm more forgiving of graphics than most. I just found the new demo so comically unfun and unbalanced that it made me genuinely furious last night. Every single problem I had with Remake's combat is exacerbated in Rebirth instead of smoothed over.
To be fair, you kind of seem generally angry most of the time. 🤷

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying the scores for a lot of the outlets are the same but there are a lot more 9+ thanks to all you can do. And don't forget this is both an improved sequel to an existing FF game AND a remix of a past game, with beloved characters and world. Numbered FFs have to do a lot more heavy lifting tbh
This takes like 40% of the original game and adapts it into something very different. Quite a gamble to make it work.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to finish Remake. Or watch a let's play or something. Because this sounds like an all-timer.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
The best part about this is people seemingly having fun with the minigames and open world.

Square has a world structure that works for the series now. Use it. Even If they follow up on XVI's gameplay (and I hope they do in some fashion because the bones there are very good), they should make sure to rip off this game's structure.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Im so happy they didn't whiff on the open world aspect and questing. Will be there day 1, fucking hyped!

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Excellent. I loved the first one and loved 16, too. Does it have a story recap option? I forgot the events of part 1.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Potentially divisive ending is great. I don't want them to just repeat the original as is.

And with that I'm out of the FF7R threads, don't want to get spoiled much lol.

Can I skip part 1 and go straight to this?
I think you can tbh, just watch a summary on youtube.

Shit. I knew it. Well, the ride will probably be something special at least and then it all just crumbles in the end just like Remake.
I like the ending of Remake hah

Pynchon

Feb 24, 2021
Shit. I knew it. Well, the ride will probably be something special at least and then it all just crumbles in the end just like Remake.
You knew it though? You are just following the opinion of a single reviewer here. Why are you accepting the most negative review as the only correct one?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Best scoring FF game ever, right?
hero

The god will remain undefeated.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
I finished the first game but didn't love it. Mostly because I simply couldn't gel with the battle system (FF16 wasn't great but way more fun for me). I presume because of this reason the sequel won't be for me?

The FF7R battle system throws a lot of people off because it looks like Kingdom Hearts on a superficial level. They try to play it like an action game and inevitably get frustrated when the game doesn't behave as expected.

You're supposed to swap party members all of the time mid-battle while managing the ATB gauge and issuing commands. In many ways it's a translation of the original FF7 mechanics where every party member got a turn.

It's pretty much the only real-time JRPG battle system I've ever seen that actually handles party members properly instead of relegating them to AI.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
huh, a bit on the fence on this one but I guess i'll check it out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
Almost 90 reviews on MC and sitting at a 93. Wow, they finally did it. They broke the curse and achieved that 90+ golden goose. Hope the dev team busts out the champagne tonight, they earned it.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
"Unlike 2020's remake, the majority of Rebirth's optional content is a delight,"

- Dot Esports review. Is this a sentiment shared by other reviewers?