Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Also - There Will Be Blood is definitely more Scorsese (Raging Bull, Taxi Driver) than Kubrick as a character study of a flawed man and also as a rise-and-fall narrative. I can't see the similarities with Kubrick at all - steady rather than swooping camera, dry colours, small cast etc.)
TWBB feels colder to me than Scorsese's biopics. It feels more of a piece with Barry Lyndon than, say, The Aviator imo.

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
TWBB feels colder to me than Scorsese's biopics. It feels more of a piece with Barry Lyndon than, say, The Aviator imo.
Raging Bull is very, very cold. You've got a vile antihero (seriously Jake La Motta is one of the hardest characters to empathise with in film, dude is irredeemable not because the nature of his actions but the way he is portrayed) , periods of silence - and a very austere setting. I'm only halfway through Barry Lyndon though so I'll have to get back to you on that one - but already the use of narration seems a bit different already. Still, there's probably some overlap between the two - and moreover some over director I don't know about who combines them.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Opinions and all, but I can't imagine being left cold by In the Mood for Love. That's like the most tender, warm movie ever, or at least one of them.

It's so elliptical and restrained I could see it being a little off-putting at first.

But if it leaves you cold a second time...you're a lost cause.

If was my first choice for escapism after the last presidential election. I should have probably picked a better night to watch it because I was not in the mood to have any of that shit. "Aww, these people have feels. Well fuck you Trump is president". I own it, so I'll give it a proper viewing sometime down the line.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder Wheel

Putting aside the very obvious thing to attack... the movie is fine. It's held up solely and completely by Kate Winslet's wonderful performance. Her exasperation at her current setting, her fondness for the past, her lust for a better life, and her severe intensity is nothing short of fantastic. Jim Belushi is good in this, but does push it a little too far at times with overacting. The weak link is Justin Timberlake, not quite fitting into his role, his words not quite feeling right coming from him, and his character is the typical Allen character that doesn't sit right in this particular movie. The boardwalk is an interesting set that only gets visited in a couple of shots, but is vibrant and interesting when given the time to shine. The set-up of the film is very much like a play, with its scenes in the apartment, the clam restaurant, and the few other locales. It all doesn't add up quite as well as it could have, but Kate Winslet gets to shine, so it's not all a total loss.

Darkest Hour

A very well directed, very well acted film. Gary Oldman and Joe Wright make the rising pressures of a Nazi Germany and an attempted power ousting turn into an acting powerhouse for Oldman's Churchill. He is bombarded from every corner, weathered and beaten down and starting to crack. But small victories are found, and those small victories make it an enjoyable time. Oldman can portray compassionate humanity under all of that make-up, and his belligerence and hardheadedness are more traits than weaknesses, and I found that really interesting. There are some fancy flourishes here and there that can feel out of place among the rest of the filmmaking, but otherwise it is a rousing and rather good movie about rising above. Lily James is also good in it, though she is somewhat sidelined for all of the oxygen and life Oldman is stealing.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Good Time
★★★★
Not sure why Good Time didn't click with me during my first watch, maybe I had different expectations. I enjoyed it a lot more upon rewatch.

What really makes the plot work is that it feels like a juggling act where the juggler trips and just barely keeps the balls in the air: a rolling snowball of bad and desperate decisions kept rolling by Connie's (Pattinson just disappearing into the role) quick-thought lies and improvised plans. Seeing how he cleverly manipulates and connives his way with people and out of situations is one of the best parts of Good Time.

The atmosphere of the dirty unfriendly New York streets, the pacing that comes from a single night plot, and the grimy oppressive tone round out the other parts

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Re-watched Blade Runner 2049 tonight

13726880_f520.jpg

Easily still my favorite movie of 2017 and one of the best and most interesting sci-fi sequels out there ever. And goddamn does it look beautiful too. The length and pace does get a little tougher to go through the second time around, especially when some of the suspense more present in a first viewing is sucked out, but the time sink is still worth it for such an entrancing and immersive experience. Can't wait for what Denis has in store for us next.

A

Weasel

Oct 25, 2017
Criterion announced April releases!

917_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

The Awful Truth (1937)

918_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

The Color of Pomegranates (1969)

919_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Dead Man (1995)

920_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

The Virgin Suicides (1999)

Eclipse_46_IngridBergman_box_original.png

Eclipse Series 46: Ingrid Bergman's Swedish Years

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
The Post was b o r i n g.

Maybe I shouldn't have expected Spotlight-level quality from it but I didn't expect to put me to sleep. The opening was promising, with the kinetic way they filmed the Pentagon Papers being stolen, but after that was conversation after conversation over whether they should do something I know they're going to do and not face any consequences for. Streep and Hanks weren't as electric together as I thought they'd be. Maybe it's because they were playing themselves with affects on their accents. Bob Odenkirk outdid them both. Other than him, I couldn't tell you any of the characters' names and it's only been a few hours.

Completely agree. There weren't any narrative surprises and there were too many characters. Spielberg has made other movies heavy on dialogue that worked, but this was just so unremarkable.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Paddington 2 is fantastic. It's got humor, adventure and heart. It plays off the first movie for some comedic moments in a really neat way. I looked up the director and apparently he made Garth Marenghi's Darkplace; no wonder I enjoyed these movies so much.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched Paddington 1 recently and hearing that 2 is even better got me excited to see it soon. I think the director/writer Paul King will be a major talent to watch out for in the years.

his tv work on Darkplace and Mighty Boosh was so good as well. The visual gags and applying such an overtly fantastical aura to London were dope elements in here

Last edited:
OP
OP
Divius

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Do you need to have a childhood affinity with Paddington to enjoy the movie(s)? All I know its a bear in a hat who likes marmelade. Never seen/read/heard anything about it so the movies didn't interest me at all, until people started mentioning that they are good.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I was vaguely aware of the character but that's about it. No nostalgia or attachment to the property necessary. Its like hella whimsical and cutesy though, so if you're not into that sort of film it might not be your bag. Otherwise check it out man.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Raging Bull is very, very cold. You've got a vile antihero (seriously Jake La Motta is one of the hardest characters to empathise with in film, dude is irredeemable not because the nature of his actions but the way he is portrayed) , periods of silence - and a very austere setting. I'm only halfway through Barry Lyndon though so I'll have to get back to you on that one - but already the use of narration seems a bit different already. Still, there's probably some overlap between the two - and moreover some over director I don't know about who combines them.

Well I don't necessarily mean the coldness of the characters themeslves... right, Jake la Motta is a really shitty person. I meant more in terms of the aesthetic. Raging Bull and especially The Aviator feel, not necessarily 'warm', but livelier, more passionate and energetic. While TWBB and Barry Lyndon feel cold to me in the sense of a clinical, sort of detached feeling.

House of Woodcock is the greatest theme of the 21st century.

It's a close tie with Prospectors Arrive as my favorite Jonny piece. And Spooks, if that counts.

Double

Nov 1, 2017
Papa by Bambadjan Bamba perhaps?

Edit: Oh sorry, you said French. This likely is not what she was looking for then.

Ya, it's very likely a french movie, and also, the father seems to be the main protagonist (as opposed to the son in the movie you linked).
Thanks though :)

Anyone else got a clue? (please don't disappoint FilmEra, I've put a lot of praise of you upon my wife in advance;D)

Hey guys, looking for the name of a movie for my wife.
Apparently a french film (she once caught it on german/french tv channel ARTE) about an african immigrant who's life turns to sh*t - losing his wife, his son turns out to be gay, which clashes with his conservative beliefs etc. Apparently a kind of tragic comedy, where you actually still feel for the guy because he's so miserable.

Ring any bells?

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Finally saw Lawrence of Arabia (1962) for the first time.

51vMvVzFJgL.jpg

I was expecting a romanticized adventure, while some of that was true, what I ended up witnessing was a character study and complex of the famous war hero. The ending had me in awe with the shot of Lawrence leaving the desert. Peter O'Toole is a force in this film.

While I can't say I'm knowledgeable of the real events, I can say that I enjoyed this depiction as it pulled no punches when it came to war. I can now see why this film is highly regarded. 8/10

Weasel

Oct 25, 2017
Some Like It Hot was a film I caught a few months ago but unfortunately missed most of it due to a broadcast mishap. Luckily, I found is at my college library (which is quite loaded with classics) so I decided to pick it up and finally finish it. I'm glad I did. Not only my first venture into Marilyn Monroe's filmography but it's also my exposure to the legend that is Jack Lemmon. He and Tony Curtis are so hilarious together on screen and I do like a film about cross dressing that actually had a good script to support it, which I sadly don't see today. I can definitely see how challenging it was to the Hays Code.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
I've made the decidion to boycott Phantom Thread, after it was revealed today on social media platform Twitter that Paul Thomas Anderson considers The Life of Pablo to be Kanye West's best album

Freewheelin

Nov 1, 2017
All The Money In The World (Scott, 2017)

A competently made but generic and by the numbers thriller that unfortunately is overshadowed by Spacey's dismissal. Michelle Williams is quite possibly the best actor in the film and there are a number of beautiful shots (Ridley sure knows how to make use of shadows and lights) but the film as a whole just didn't thrill me.

2.5/5

n8 dogg

Oct 25, 2017
I've made the decidion to boycott Phantom Thread, after it was revealed today on social media platform Twitter that Paul Thomas Anderson considers The Life of Pablo to be Kanye West's best album

He's wrong but it's still fuckin' nuts

He said In Rainbows was Radiohead's best so he made up for it

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Some Like It Hot was a film I caught a few months ago but unfortunately missed most of it due to a broadcast mishap. Luckily, I found is at my college library (which is quite loaded with classics) so I decided to pick it up and finally finish it. I'm glad I did. Not only my first venture into Marilyn Monroe's filmography but it's also my exposure to the legend that is Jack Lemmon. He and Tony Curtis are so hilarious together on screen and I do like a film about cross dressing that actually had a good script to support it, which I sadly don't see today. I can definitely see how challenging it was to the Hays Code.

If you like Jack Lemmon, check out Glengarry Glen Ross.

Paddington: With everyone gushing over Paddington 2, I decided to check out the original, and I wasn't impressed. Well, the modeling was nice, but the plot was a predictable cliche on the "naive fish out of water gets into wacky hijinks" story. At least Peter Capaldi is in it.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to see it tonight with my girlfriend who generally dislikes PTA and also thinks TLOP is #1 (which is a truly insane opinion it's a mediocre album at best). So a lot of clashing opinions going on here.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I don't like Kanye or rap, so I'll get this back on topic.

I've watched an odd mix of movies recently. Stuff on my PVR, stuff on TV and a DVD I borrowed from the library.

A Ghost Story: I wanted to see this in theatres, after seeing a preview for it in front of It Comes at Night IIRC. It never played near me, though, and I'm honestly kind of glad that I didn't end up driving 30-60 minutes to see it. Not that I think it's a bad movie; it's just not the type I'd really be happy about spending a good amount of money to see or drive to see.

It's definitely a very unique, artistic and strange movie, but I liked it overall. It got especially weird near the end. This is the type of movie I'll remember, though, and it's going to have a lot of staying power. It's just not something I'd want to watch again.

I called the twist early on, even though it made sense. I told myself there's no way that could be true, but I was right.

Captain Underpants: The First Movie: I don't watch a lot of animated movies anymore, but this was on The Movie Network so I saved it out of curiosity. The previews had looked kind of funny. And overall, it was pretty solid.

About Schmidt: I thought I'd seen this before, but it turns out that I hadn't. It's another movie I saved off of TV. It took a bit to get going, but I liked it overall. It's nothing special, but solid.

A Dog's Purpose: It was better than these types of movies normally turn out. I enjoyed it, even if it was a bit hokey at times.

Last edited:

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017

He's wrong, it's either the third or fourth best. ;)

Edit: Now, you see what guys almost made me do? I was this close to putting my Kanye rankings in the filmera thread.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to derail this thread, but Graduation is by far the worst Kanye album. I still like it, and it has some gems, but yeah, doesn't sniff anywhere but the bottom.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Graduation is super polished pop-rap full of fun, breezy, undeniably catchy party songs that cannily blend samples and techno inspired beats, and Kanye's egomania was still charming and not at the self parodic points it is now.

It's not a great album but it ain't Uwe Boll levels. It's a solid summer crowd pleaser, not good headphones material though.

I wouldn't call any of Kanye's albums masterpieces, though, as much as I like some of them.

Oct 27, 2017
In trying to "connect" with a film, that at first becomes implausible. You kind of take an Anderson movie in and it sits with you a bit, not a human or emotional level but on a "mood" level. What it evokes in you having experienced it over what really happens in it. Again, it's that craft at work that manages to connect you to the material, not necessarily a deep or engaging story that hits you with tears or waterworks because it's like watching aliens act like humans rather than actual humans.

Liking the movie more as I think about it, but Phantom Thread was honestly the first time I had trouble connecting to one of Anderson's movies or understanding his characters. And yes, I've seen all of them.