Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
So what's the deal with the person I'm not controlling ATB bar? I switch to Barrett fire off twice and fill both bars to use his magics, but when controlling Cloud Barrett is still non stop shooting, but his ATB bars creep at a snails pace.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind the default camera at all. But that's a common thing with me not having issues with the camera in games people constantly complain about it.

bargeparty

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not saying you are wrong for enjoying it, but I'm also saying those feelings of messy gameplay are legitimate and what the Kotaku editor wrote was very descriptive of my fight too. Just constant "ands" with no pause to stop and think about what my strategy should be, which is what the original FF7 excelled at, even during this very same boss fight.

I'm going to disagree heavily with this last point because I just played the reactor on FF7 last night and it's simple, boring, and easy. The remake is challenging, engaging, and dynamic. You have to think about avoiding attacks, what attacks you should use, how to approach (front, side, back, etc), timing your spells, etc.

(btw you just press X and it's slows time to a crawl so you can think about your strategy)

bargeparty

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't mind the default camera at all. But that's a common thing with me not having issues with the camera in games people constantly complain about it.

It's just how people are. I think someone said they play MMO's with the camera zoomed at max, like a isometric view, and I'm guessing they wanted the same thing here...

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
Wait was the boss really hard for people? I thought it was pretty clear that you pretty much needed to be Barret and use Thunder, take down the shield, hit the legs, etc 😕

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Wait was the boss really hard for people? I thought it was pretty clear that you pretty much needed to be Barret and use Thunder, take down the shield, hit the legs, etc 😕

It's difficult the first run because it's much tougher than any enemy you've faced before and you need to use an actual strategy or you'll get wiped out quickly. Also Barret's AI isn't great especially when his magic is the best thing to take it on.

Eventually you get the hang of it. I ripped through it my second time through the demo.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the deal with the person I'm not controlling ATB bar? I switch to Barrett fire off twice and fill both bars to use his magics, but when controlling Cloud Barrett is still non stop shooting, but his ATB bars creep at a snails pace.

This is an issue for me too. I like the fact you can just issue commands to other characters on the fly, but in practice their ATB bars fill so slowly I ended up having to switch to eg Barrett anyway so I could get a bar to use Thunder. I've no idea why it charges so slowly, as they continue to attack when not controlled.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
VnX5fzD.gif

Feels so good to stagger the enemy and beat the shit out of it.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue with Barret specifically is that you get the most ATB from Overcharge and the final hit of the Hold Square combo, and the AI just "taps square". Which is enough to eventually get you ATB as Cloud, but not as Barret.

This is an issue for me too. I like the fact you can just issue commands to other characters on the fly, but in practice their ATB bars fill so slowly I ended up having to switch to eg Barrett anyway so I could get a bar to use Thunder. I've no idea why it charges so slowly, as they continue to attack when not controlled.
Yeah, I switched a lot too, but I kind of like it, even if it's born from a flaw in partner AI. It gives me incentive to take advantage of every opening, like for example triggering a Hold Square attack as Cloud, which are either a slow multi hit AOE slash in Operator or the slow strong ground stab in Punisher. The moment you activate that attack, you can switch to Barret and get a good few hits before going back to Cloud as he recovers from the slow move.

Instead of only switching when I want to actively control that character, I'd also switch just to put in more damage while I was waiting for a slower animation with the character I did want to control. It's a lot of inputs in like 2 seconds, feels really good.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
One word is enough to describe my experience with this demo: Hype!

Didn't want to get this game after they announced it would be fragmented along multiple games over years, but have to say i really loved what i played, so i might get it. It's fun, spectacular and entertaining.

Great demo.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I think they did this to make you play all of the characters. When the announced the combat system they made it clear it was intentional that the character you're not playing gets ATB much more slowly. The one perk is with Barret once you switch back to him he usually has his overdrive ability available which is nice.

Oct 25, 2017
VnX5fzD.gif

Feels so good to stagger the enemy and beat the shit out of it.
It really does. But it did bother me when I just got a stagger and the game said NOPE and went to the phase transition cutscene, instantly removing the stagger bar.

Just skip the phase, who gives a shit, let me have that as a reward for being quick enough with my stagger. It's a lot more satisfying than watching phase transition cutscenes anyway.

Unless I'm reading the situation wrong, and instead of not getting rewarded for staggering quickly enough, I was actually getting punished for being too slow with my stagger, and should have staggered the boss long before that cutscene. Then it's fine. Need to test more to be sure.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
It really does. But it did bother me when I just got a stagger and the game said NOPE and went to the phase transition cutscene, instantly removing the stagger bar.

Just skip the phase, who gives a shit, let me have that as a reward for being quick enough with my stagger. It's a lot more satisfying than watching phase transition cutscenes anyway.

Unless I'm reading the situation wrong, and instead of not getting rewarded for staggering quickly enough, I was actually getting punished for being too slow with my stagger, and should have staggered the boss long before that cutscene. Then it's fine. Need to test more to be sure.
Lol I Just had a situation where my Cross-Slash missed because of the transition

The boss was like "Nope"

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
How does limit gauge build up? I think I'm killing the boss too fast cause I can't get a recording where it's all awesome fighting then end with a limit break :(

I wonder if switching too much affects the rate of gain

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How does limit gauge build up? I think I'm killing the boss too fast cause I can't get a recording where it's all awesome fighting then end with a limit break :(

Let yourself get beat up. It charges super fast when you take a lot of damage.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
except you barely do any damage even when staggered and you have to constantly issue commands to Barret if you want him to do anything worth while.

That fight took forever...
You want to have one or two ATBs to spare for the stagger window, also Barret can dish major damage with overcharge.

Let yourself get beat up. It charges super fast when you take a lot of damage.
Thanks but awww, I don't want to get beat up lol. Hope it has a setting like overdrives in X.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I Just had a situation where my Cross-Slash missed because of the transition

The boss was like "Nope"

LMAO, this really sucks.

Probably. I was able to get my first limit break as Barret by focusing on him as much as possible right after hitting Cross Slash, so you definitely build much more quickly by controlling that character.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Just finished the demo - pretty satisfying.

I liked the additional stuff that they added which made the mako reactor mission longer than the original along with some of the stuff that they added with the interactions and cutscenes.

I also like how they made the enemies stronger/higher in health - also the boss battle was pretty epic.

Boss battle took more than 10 min which reminded me of the horrible time I had with that one helicopter boss battle in FFXIII where the entire battle took me 30 min but at least this was satisfying.

I was a bit confused at first on why I cant use items or spells but realized that the ATB is the reason.

I'll definitely get the remake but not day 1 (since I dont buy games day 1).

Gonna play in Normal mode and dont care for classic.

If I want to play the classic mode - I'll just play the original which I have on Steam (and soon on PS4).

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tried Classic mode, yet. What is that like? Is positioning still important? (is positioning important in the other modes?)

Jan 10, 2018
I'm surprised at how much I like the voice acting and dialogue in this, concidering how much I disliked it in trailers. There's just something magical about hearing these characters speak in real voices.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
It's difficult the first run because it's much tougher than any enemy you've faced before and you need to use an actual strategy or you'll get wiped out quickly. Also Barret's AI isn't great especially when his magic is the best thing to take it on.

Eventually you get the hang of it. I ripped through it my second time through the demo.
my first play through i had no issue with it. but i might just be used to this style.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

Getting damaged is what caused me to limit.

Finished the boss battle with a Cross Slash!

Edit: Also the person who said this game is like KH ...no way it isnt.

This played more like FFVII Crisis Core which I really enjoyed so I'm glad they made a better version of that combat style (without the annoying reels lol).

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't tried Classic mode, yet. What is that like? Is positioning still important? (is positioning important in the other modes?)
It auto plays normal attacks (but slow at doing it) with the ability to initiate commands or attack yourself. Can only be played on easy. Worthless in my opinion. Normal at least provides some challenge for the boss. Other wise it's just a walk in the park.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Only became a problem for me with targetting certain enemies, usually flying turrets where the camera lock just refused to angle a proper view. Happened mostly against the little guys, but also against the boss. Annoying but not a deal-breaker. Felt like something was a bit off, or I was missing a quick snap button.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I dont think I have ever replayed a demo this much. I can't wait for the full game to come out

Oct 25, 2017
Only became a problem for me with targetting certain enemies, usually flying turrets where the camera lock just refused to angle a proper view. Happened mostly against the little guys, but also against the boss. Annoying but not a deal-breaker. Felt like something was a bit off, or I was missing a quick snap button.
Yeah, targeting the turrets could take a little more time. But just locking-on and cycling targets took care of it, most of the time.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
That scorpion was a pain in the fucking ass.

Demo was a lot of fun though, even if dodging/blocking doesn't feel as intuitive as I'd like. They do a good job incentivizing you to switch between Cloud and Barret, even if the former is more fun to use.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
That scorpion was a pain in the fucking ass.

Demo was a lot of fun though, even if dodging/blocking doesn't feel as intuitive as I'd like. They do a good job incentivizing you to switch between Cloud and Barret, even if the former is more fun to use.

I feel like there was enough incentive to promote switching off, though. Barrett held Cure and Thunder, both really necessary for that battle. Cloud only has so many potions. I know I used Barrett exactly for those things.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
People that taking long to kill the scorpion boss just not using ATB right and character switching .
Of course this depends on what you call long .

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Shocked how much I liked it.

because tbh, from all the trailers and videos I thought I was in for a major disappointment.

Like all the extended universe stuff, nothing seemed to evoke the original well for one reason or another. And tbf this didn't quite either, Barrett's dialogue and voice acting was downright bad, but in doing its own thing in the same spirit I actually can see this being a solid remake. Helps I was surprised how much I enjoyed the gameplay.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah so damage does contribute to limit gauge, and stagger immensely so. I want to try and beat that time if I can lol (I probably can't but still).

Yeah the fight isn't really long, you need to use ATB correctly (and Barret's cooldown/Cloud's stances)

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the demo made it seem easy, but in playing, I was getting my ass handed to me by that boss. I didn't die, but was constantly healing. I don't think I've quite figured out the combat. I'm never sure when to dodge, when to block, or if I'm doing the best thing to try to stagger with.

Like, watching that video a couple posts above, I hardly can follow what they're doing.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah so damage does contribute to limit gauge, and stagger immensely so. I want to try and beat that time if I can lol (I probably can't but still).

Yeah the fight isn't really long, you need to use ATB correctly (and Barret's cooldown/Cloud's stances)
Damn, didn't notice the huge jump in Limit meter the moment the stagger is reached.

This is FFXIII all over again, and I LOVE it.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Exceeded my expectations that was pretty hype.

I think the demo shows that this game is tilted toward people who played the original and are experienced gamers. That first boss is in no way the simple sort of first boss that one would have expected in the 16/32 bit era when developers were trying to introduce JRPGs into the west.

Combat was pretty frantic with a lot to do but I think by the end of the demo I was starting to figure things out.