• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Impossible to prove one way or the other at this point, but I think there's a lot of percentage in assuming that this is Haku cooking up a bunch of heat about a woman player so he can do a big reveal and go "oh this really good player you thought was woman was actually a man the whole time, checkmate feminists I WAS RIGHT :smug:."

Obviously that's an incredibly stupid idea, and if its true he executed it very poorly, but that seems thematically consistent with everything else we know about him lmao

To go that far too try and prove a point..... I'm just shaking my head at the damage it's done. I hope Blizzard comes in and bans whoever is involved from competitions.

Sexism towards men does not and can not exist, bucko.
It's typically against women but sexism is defined by any and all sexes.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Assuming the story is now currently correct, I would hope that team gets disqualified.

Really awful stuff. All the "social experiment" did was to again restate that women face way more adversity and harassment in the competitive gaming space.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To go that far too try and prove a point..... I'm just shaking my head at the damage it's done. I hope Blizzard comes in and bans whoever is involved from competitions.

In a cosmic sense, every stupid thing that's ever happened is a direct result of someone trying to prove a stupid point.

I'd be very surprised if anyone from SW gets away from this unscathed. Someone will flip and spill the beans to Blizzard.

Oct 25, 2017
Impossible to prove one way or the other at this point, but I think there's a lot of percentage in assuming that this is Haku cooking up a bunch of heat about a woman player so he can do a big reveal and go "oh this really good player you thought was woman was actually a man the whole time, checkmate feminists I WAS RIGHT :smug:."

Obviously that's an incredibly stupid idea, and if its true he executed it very poorly, but that seems thematically consistent with everything else we know about him lmao

whoever is responsible for this should be permanently banned from competing

if esports wants to become professional, there needs to be actual consequences for this sort of bullshit - and the usual circlejerk of protecting the top talent from any consequences shouldn't apply here giving that this involves a lower tier team

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
...but who is the imposter?

bald-head-with-question-mark_318-49294.jpg

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

if esports wants to become professional, there needs to be actual consequences for this sort of bullshit - and the usual circlejerk of protecting the top talent from any consequences shouldn't apply here giving that this involves a lower tier team

I'm unfamiliar with OW esports lore, has this happened before?

Oct 25, 2017
Mate, I hate to break it to you but esports is already professional.

then the players should damn well act like it, instead of perpetuating years of toxic bullshit that they could away with when they were a part of amateur scenes

I'm unfamiliar with OW esports lore, has this happened before?

this isn't just an Overwatch problem, this is a problem that every major esport runs into at one point or another

NoTime

Oct 30, 2017

It's appears to be just random player from top500 ladder, not a progamer from a pro or even semipro team

Edit: all them typos, should not post from mobile...

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
then the players should damn well act like it, instead of perpetuating years of toxic bullshit that they could away with when they were a part of amateur scenes

It's professional, but that doesn't necessarily mean everyone involved is professional. People in real sports making way more cash routinely do equivalently stupid things.

The whole team should be disbanded over this.

Given the logistics of having a fake (is this even the right word?) player on your team scrimming with you, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone on SW ended up being involved in some capacity. I think there's a very good chance SW doesn't exist in a month.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1. The player in question who was playing isn't even a professional player
  2. Overwatch is not the only esport
  3. Acting like this is an incredibly widespread issue with pro players is unfounded

Oct 25, 2017
  3. Acting like this is an incredibly widespread issue with pro players is unfounded

to speak on behalf of the game i was involved in the competitive scene from which top players were many of the first professionals in the Overwatch competitive scene for - yes, this is an incredibly widespread issue and 90% of it goes unreported

hilariously, the person who replaced me on the last sixes team i played for now plays for the top sixes team in the entire TF2 community - and i learned this because he's featured in this exact article!

Last edited:

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Esports is real sports, it's just not a very physically demanding one. Lets not turn this thread into a thread about delegitimatizing esports.

I disagree, but I don't really care enough to argue. What's the style guide say for the proper way to delineate esports from everything else? I'll edit my post.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, but I don't really care enough to argue. What's the style guide say for the proper way to delineate esports from everything else? I'll edit my post.

Depends on which style guide you rely on and if you make any custom alterations. Most in the industry use "esports" in the middle of the sentence, and "Esports" when it is the first word in the sentence. If you abide only by AP Style Guide, you write it as "eSports" which we all hate.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Depends on which style guide you rely on and if you make any custom alterations. Most in the industry use "esports" in the middle of the sentence, and "Esports" when it is the first word in the sentence. If you abide only by AP Style Guide, you write it as "eSports" which we all hate.

No, sorry: how do you refer to the sports that everyone called sports before esports existed? Specifically to delineate between them and esports.

PolarisLight

Nov 4, 2017
Well what do you know, it was quite dodgy to anyone who actually plays a shred of comp ow. But no, people who have never actually touched the ow scene obviously know more. The situation hurts everyone involved, really disappointing.

Also wish journalists would do a bit of investigation before posting articles otherwise they are no better than us shitposters down in the forums.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly everyone involved and who knew about this should just be kicked out of the league. I don't know why people do this shit.

Oct 25, 2017
the people trying the hardest to oppose the success of professional esports are the players who can't grow up even when faced with the opportunity to have their dream job

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
The team will probably get the axe.

Blizzard has had enough bad publicity as it is. No one is going to read the updated story, and the original story already did all the damage it needed to do.

Sep 14, 2018
The top players all know each other, they were right to be suspicious.
.(separate idea follows)

I don't know if Geguri gets harassed anymore but I remember her saying everyone was very welcoming when she joined OWL, so that's something.
(other subject)

Btw the magic amy thing will never not be funny, eloise had a lot of fun with people accusing her of secretly being a dude from canada lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
google is free my dude, feel free to delve into the long and storied history of dumbass esports drama

you can even sort reddit by "controversial" to find a lot of it with zero effort for some games like DOTA 2

EDIT: fixed link

When did I ever state that there wasn't esports drama?

Here's what I've said

You seem to want to highlight that this is an incredibly widespread issue, yet tell me to google your own proof as if that proves your ridiculous point. Controversies happen in any industry, but to label it as incredibly widespread is disingenuous because again, Overwatch is not the only esports game. The majority of 800+ league of legends professionals are not toxic. The same can be said for professional players of Overwatch.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
The news that's slipping under the radar is what another player on Second Wind said; Haku, the team captain. Check out this short clip to see the height of fuckery this clown dropped that triggered this entire episode. 'Women don't belong in my 4500 games'. Fuck Haku, I hope gets dropped and rots in Tier 3.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Sexism towards men does not and can not exist, bucko.

That is factually incorrect by the literal definition of the word.

That isn't to say it happens often. It absolutely doesn't and it's why "men's rights" groups deserve to be laughed at. Men are the ones often in power and women have to face sexism on a daily basis.

But we shouldn't simply make things up. Words have meanings.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
This story seems awful for all involved, and for the community surrounding game.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
The team will probably get the axe.

Blizzard has had enough bad publicity as it is. No one is going to read the updated story, and the original story already did all the damage it needed to do.
Does the updated story even help? "Horrible things are being done to woman esports players" or "Terrible people feel more justified in doing horrible things to female esports players".

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
Anyone involved or knowing about this should not only be banned from competition, but just banned from OW. If you want to stop this sort of toxicity, there has to be a real punishment.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The top players all know each other, they were right to be suspicious. I don't know if Geguri gets harassed anymore but I remember her saying everyone was very welcoming when she joined OWL, so that's something.

Btw the magic amy thing will never not be funny, eloise had a lot of fun with people accusing her of secretly being a dude from canada lol.
You know what she had to go through before joining owl, the level where your conduct as a player or staff can have consequences, right?

Oct 25, 2017
When did I ever state that there wasn't esports drama?

Here's what I've said

You seem to want to highlight that this is an incredibly widespread issue, yet tell me to google your own proof as if that proves your ridiculous point. Controversies happen in any industry, but to label it as incredibly widespread is disingenuous because again, Overwatch is not the only esports game. The majority of 800+ league of legends professionals are not toxic. The same can be said for professional players of Overwatch.

have ever played a video game at a competitive level? doesn't even have to be a professional league, an amateur league counts for this as well

i already linked you evidence from the game i played, but you didn't even read that! so if you want more, find it yourself because there is a nearly infinite number of examples - you want me to dig up some of the old teamfortress.tv drama threads next?

and if a game's competitive ladder is the way that players get recognized and scouted by pro teams, then it is absolutely a part of the professional scene - as we've learned from this controversy, top players really don't blossom out of nowhere

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
have ever played a video game at a competitive level? doesn't even have to be a professional league, an amateur league counts for this as well

I'm not sure how asking if I've ever played at a competitive level counters my point that the majority of professional players aren't toxic and that it is a widespread issue.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Tbf isn't regular sports also filled with controversy? I don't see any reason why we need to act so aspiring to "real sports" (aside from money), we should seek out our own sort of niche. Never been a fan of seeking to equate esports with real sports as if it's the end of the road. (Aside from money)

Status
Not open for further replies.