• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaloskatoa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone is learning anything from this. People are going to take whatever part supports their previous position, and double down.

yeah ur completely right. I just meant blizzard shud take more care of the contender scenario and teams shud do better background checks. I hope at least that lesson is learned if nothing else.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All these women in Contenders and none of them are being doxxed.
XYTUsUK.gif

What a...bizarre use of this Gif....

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I think the issue really boils down to how people want to deal with the no-name individuals. In my opinion, if we have pros, named people in esports being sexist in regards to Ellie, they obviously need addressing. But how do we deal with twitter, reddit no-names? Its not the best solution, but I've sorta reached the point where I think they should be ignored or labelled as trolls and then ignored. Growing a thicker skin is a bit of a cop-out, but unless we find solutions that reach the heart of the problem, stripping the cloth these people hide behind, we run the risk of letting the loud poison the discourse. Probably the minority too. Probably plenty of people who thought "Horrible." but didn't speak up cause they didn't wish like posting.

With that said, I do have to question the takes that painted the questioning as completely unacceptable, and similar to doxxing. Whats wrong in figuring out how this unknown showed up? The particulars of her steps to hide her identity were noted as completely new in Contenders according to Kotaku. Top players usually dont show up out of nowhere. We have existing female players in Contenders, and through they get lots of flak, until we can find a solution to remove their shields and reveal who they are for punishment, its like encouraging trolls. They should be ignored instead of talked about or answered. Luckily, the steps by Blizzard to connect twitch and battle.net accounts is a good one that should cut down on garbage in the chat. Hopefully, Blizzard wont overstep into the realm of zealous. Also I wouldn't mind more privacy for esports, but clearly Blizzard is insisting on professionalism and that includes putting players up front to get publicity.

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
Besides cheating, what is the benefit of hiding your identity and posing as a new up-and-coming player?

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Also as recent social media studies have shown, the ability of small groups to project their views and discourse on others is much greater than before. Yes, we have plenty of sexist comments, twitch comments, unsavory material but we need to identity exactly how much of others they represent. Are they small groupings of people simply posting everywhere? Whats their actual numberings vs the playerbase/viewerbase? We need to remove the anonymity, we need actual data, we need to trace their accounts and actually be able to do corrective actions. As it is, we're firing cannons at shadows, and I'm rapidly reaching the point where I think we need to conserve ammo or risk expending it uselessly. It seems self-defeating, spreading negativity when frankly, im of the opinion whatever/whoever these people are useless and anything they say is worthless and not worth considering. Especially when our corrective actions basically consist of saying "your fucking scum". It means nothing to them. It might even be pleasuring for them. Trolling is a common thing, and the general rule is not to engage with them, all they want is your reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.